Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

Are any of you Cubs fans glad they didn’t try to con you with “we’re just a few off-season pieces away” and got prospects instead of comp picks everywhere they could?

Seems like this day has been coming since Tom’s “we aren’t spending money because we don’t have anymore” interview.

I think everyone knew this kind of day would come for a while when they saw that all their contracts were up around the same time. I just didn't think it would happen all at once, and I figured they'd keep Rizzo a Cub until he retired. Once they traded Rizzo I figured they'd at least keep Baez.

This along with the Marquee network junk makes me realize I probably just won't follow baseball anymore. If I do the easiest thing would be to get MLB.tv and pick a new team to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

This article pretty much says it all to me: https://slate.com/culture/2021/07/cubs-kris-bryant-anthony-rizzo-javier-baez-trade.html

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

R.D. Mangles posted:

they're a bunch of 19 year olds who will be good or won't be good in 5 years and if they do happen to be decent they'll be traded away the second they cost anything for a bunch of other anonymous 19 year olds.

Yeah, this. This is the real problem. If I thought they would build around stuff they got back I wouldn't be so upset.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Atomizer posted:

I'd read that as well as this article earlier today and it sums up my thoughts from my previous post. If any of us are upset with the loss of Rizzo/Baez/Kris or any of the other guys, well keep in mind that even with them the team was hovering around a losing record. Might as well trade them and get something in return rather than keep them for a couple more months and get nothing; you'd be kidding yourself if you thought they were miraculously going to put it together again and reach the postseason, considering the aforementioned decline over the past ~4 years.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to see any of them go (including Darvish/Caratini/Schwarber,) especially not basically everyone good at once, but let's be real, we've all been watching the same team. :sigh:

Lol if you think this team will be competitive again under Ricketts ownership except for maybe a lucky playoff appearance here and there followed by a swift cashing in of anything that gets them there.

I think people are seriously misunderstanding things. I’m sad all these players left, but the real upset is the realization that the good times are done and the team is going to be poo poo for a long time. And not the fun kind of poo poo that the Cubs used to be, but the depressing kind where they are a farm for other teams.

beejay fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 2, 2021