Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

As the Cubs dismantle their World Series team for lovely prospects so the ghoulish owner can save money, here is a megathread for Cubsposting where we can melt down. Rizzo is gone. Bryant is next. Maybe Javy or even they are insane enough to trade Willson or Cool Kyle? Anyway, I'm going to go nutso about it.

gently caress to the Ricketts family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol we're now the white sox farm team.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

They did it, they did javy, I'm a husk

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress off Ricketts. Eat poo poo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ome of the most contemptuous days from a sports team.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

All in on the Dogs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I put on sports radio this afternoon and they were playing the Layla outro from the goodfellas scene where Jimmy murders everyone over under Bryant highlights

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

I'm morbidly curious to watch tonight's game.

i just turned on the first inning, it's beth mowins and JD and today's Marquee Network 'Quees to the Game is "Thanks for the Memories"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

In not a big MLB fan but I'd much rather have seen the cubs implode in a Blackhawks way. Just be unable/unwilling to sign big new contracts, lose guys in free agency, etc, while letting the home town fading stars stay past their prime.

hockey has a salary cap, the MLB cap is that one of the richest families in the country does not want to spend money and has nothing but contempt for everyone.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the ricketts family can eat poo poo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they actually traded javier baez, i still can't believe it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Overall did they at least get decent hauls, on paper?

who fuckin' cares

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they're a bunch of 19 year olds who will be good or won't be good in 5 years and if they do happen to be decent they'll be traded away the second they cost anything for a bunch of other anonymous 19 year olds.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol i forgot that chicago literally named a street after him

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the chicago cubs are a real estate company

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Soriano had some good years in Chicago. The point of being a big market team is that the Heyward contract shouldn't be ruinous, they can just bring in another guy and if Heyward is upset about becoming a 4th outfielder than eat the contract and trade him, the cubs have functionally unlimited money.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lol https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/cubs-jed-hoyer-regrets-blaming-core-players-failed-extensions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kirios posted:

So some perspective:

Alfonso Soriano - 7 years, 8.2 bWAR. Contract was 8 years, 136 million. In 2013 he was traded back to the Yankees for basically free.
Jason Heyward - 6 years, 9.7 bWAR. Contract is 8 years, 184 million and runs through 2023.

I think they're both awful contracts but I'd argue the Heyward one is worse due to the money being significantly higher and happening during the peak of Cubs contention. The Cubs weren't great during the Soriano contract and didn't hurt them too much, while the Heyward contract clearly hamstrung them (Note: Really shouldn't have, Cubs are a rich franchise luxury tax is a joke blah blah blah) and prevented them from making some critical changes elsewhere. The Quintana trade obviously was a very poor one in hindsight but at least is somewhat defensible. The Heyward signing, in my opinion, is the worst thing the Cubs did during their window.

This guy is forgetting about The Speech.