Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

gently caress it, is zobrist available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Can we resign Shark? What's Kenny Lofton been doing

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

Tonights Cubs @ Nationals game is going to be incredibly depressing. Bring out ownership of both teams and let fans boo them.

Hey, at least Rizzo will be there!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Niwrad posted:

Is Madrigal good?

He never strikes out, he's fast, and he hits for contact, plus he's team controlled through 2026, so he's definitely a good pickup. I'm happy with the Chafin/Kimbrel/Tepera return and I could give a poo poo less about them, relievers are rarely around long enough to get attached.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm so loving upset about Javy, it's depressing.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

mastershakeman posted:

Remember when the cubs were a major market team and didn't trade everyone not named Kris Bryant

heh about that

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1421197672434868227

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

really glad I'm not a jersey-buying guy right now

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm glad I've spent the last few years getting more interested in baseball as a whole and watching other teams, because if this was 5 years ago I'd just stop following the sport for a decade. Absolutely loving brutal. The return from a pure baseball perspective is fine, but I don't see myself going to more than one token game a year for a while.

Time to buy a sox hat I guess.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

All in on the Dogs

American Association is theoretically something like AA-level, right? Just sign the whole team.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

beejay posted:

I think everyone knew this kind of day would come for a while when they saw that all their contracts were up around the same time. I just didn't think it would happen all at once, and I figured they'd keep Rizzo a Cub until he retired. Once they traded Rizzo I figured they'd at least keep Baez.

This along with the Marquee network junk makes me realize I probably just won't follow baseball anymore. If I do the easiest thing would be to get MLB.tv and pick a new team to follow.

Unless you're one of the Cubs fans who is serious about the crosstown "rivalry", watch the White Sox. They've got one of the best broadcast crews, they're on regular TV a lot (and basic cable the rest of the time) and they're very good and very fun. The ballpark is whatever and TLR sucks, but the food is good.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Just realized that since my dad fell asleep during game 7, if I'm being totally honest, he'll probably never see the Cubs win a World Series.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I think the moment it became clear the club wasn't going to do everything they could to improve was when the Marlins sold off like 15 WAR from the previous season for nothing, and 2/3 of it went to the central. Like, Yelich could have been playing at Wrigley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, I don't like making GBS threads on Heyward (or athletes in general, they're humans too and they're trying their best - except there are some outliers like Bauer that deserve all the hate they get) but that contract definitely hurts the team, and I wouldn't blame any front office for shying away from similar deals in the immediate aftermath of getting burned by one like that. And there are plenty of other examples (e.g. Chris Davis) of guys having a monster season or two and then cashing in only to fall off a cliff for the rest of their careers.

The fact that they tried to deploy Marquee in 2020, The Year That Shall Be Forgotten, didn't help things.

It does genuinely seem like the guys were/are interested in continuing to play for the Cubs, but intended to pursue free agency because why not? I do think it's weird that, even if they felt like they received low-ball offers, they wouldn't at least offer intentionally high-ball counter-offers, though. :shrug:

We really have to reiterate that Quintana was an MLB-ready starter that the team [at least thought they] needed then, in exchange for prospects who weren't going to be ready to help the team in their contention window.

I didn't want to say it because I prefer not to poo poo on teams that aren't the Cardinals, but we don't really want to be like the Yankees (or Dodgers,) do we? I mean if you're fine with buying championships (or worse, spending the money and failing to do so) then so be it.... :shrug:

Yeah, I don't understand what the issue with "buying championships" is. I'd rather have the billionaire owners of my favorite team pay very good players what their services are worth and field a contending team all the time. What I don't like about the Yankees doesn't have anything to do with them spending money.

I don't know what the Dodger's secret sauce is, but player development has a lot to do with it, along with a willingness to spend on good players in the free agent market.