Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Depths Bonus 2

NGDB and I go through one of the depths today, no 50 minute video to slog through!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cathedral of the Sacred Blood 1

Today we pay a visit to the latter half of Mt. Gulg from FF14.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This area is a massive pain to deal with and what is worse is that to get a certain outcome you need to search through every inch of his place.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Yeah, I love the aesthetics of this place, but it's a headache to navigate. Me and my friend spent forever here between our two run throughs of it. I am ashamed to admit that I ran headfirst off of a broken bridge at least three times due to impatiently sprinting everywhere.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The worst thing is, I'm pretty sure I was on the other side of that pit. I picked up a vivify and even moved my camera to focus on the hole. Then I get to the other side and just run on in.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
earlier I said that 1/3 of my online summons was to help navigate the howling pit

navigating Anime Londo is the other 2/3

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So I finally decided to get off my butt and do that post about the soundtrack we've been hearing. Like I said previously, (Masaru) Go Shiina was the composer for Code Vein, the God Eater series before that, and...a bunch of other stuff that's not in my orbit. Even God Eater was something I'd encountered in relation to Code Vein. I certainly didn't expect an orchestral soundtrack that my classical music nerd father would be satisfied with.

The Main Theme greets us on the opening screen. Feels pretty middle-of-the-road for an operatic overture.

Bellum -Beyond Fear- is the first boss track we encounter with Oliver Collins, and in general the game will sometimes use this as a "generic boss" theme when there's no need for a more ambitious piece of music.

Extremum Belli is sometimes employed as a second "generic boss" or midboss theme, and sometimes just a prelude to indicate the party's resolve in cutscenes shortly before a fight. In fact we first hear it right before fighting Oliver. Neither of these two is amazing, but as interstitial tracks they don't need to be.

Requiem (Japanese) and Requiem (English) are two versions of the same choral song we briefly heard after fighting the Insatiable Despot. The Japanese-language vocalist doesn't seem to have as much vocal stamina (?) as the English-language vocalist, so her rendition comes off as a lullaby. As a contrast to this, the English-language rendition is a bel canto piece, ie in the style of Italian opera. I prefer the latter, but both variations are valid for the story as a whole. And as I noted in a previous video, these Latin lyrics do actually mean something...but what they mean is a spoiler. Dig in at your own risk.

Return of the Knight -Danse Macabre- is the Invading Executioner's theme, and it's a precious contrast to her appearance as "pole dancing water elemental Hatsune Miku". :magical: I forget if it shows up anywhere else, but at the least it's a step above BBF and EB to show the player that This. Boss. Is on a higher plane than your previous opponents. Between the sweeps in the main body and the recorder/violin bridge it's one of my favorite tracks in the OST.

Underworld by VAMPS is not technically part of the OST, probably for licensing reasons, but it's still in the game as the backing music for the attract mode/trailer cinematic. As the titular hard rock song from a hard rock album by a hard rock band, it's a bit of a clash with Go Shiina's "gimme those dudes from Faust by Gounod" attitude. It's not objectionable per se, but it would certainly fit better in a game that played up rock like Scarlet Nexus or Devil May Cry.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was surprised that VAMPS is not only a real band but existed before this game was created, and not created for this game. Which made it double surprising when I got hit with a claim.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cathedral of the Sacred Blood 2

Ya know, the dried up trenches weren't really *that* bad....

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That hammer is very useful for dealing with a certain type of enemy that is always a pain to deal with.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I think you talked about staggering the teleporting women with the greatswords. The greatswords will stagger them in two hits, but so will the impaler and the impaler is much faster. I would recommend it on this stage for a dexterity build, especially for a hybrid dexterity and caster stat build since the impaler is faster than other polearms, but restore just as much ichor. Overall I'd consider it one of the best mid game weapons.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Leal posted:

I was surprised that VAMPS is not only a real band but existed before this game was created, and not created for this game. Which made it double surprising when I got hit with a claim.

I was also surprised by this. I thought for sure it was an in-house band for this game.

That said, I loving love "Underworld." I don't care how weirdly it sounds in the game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cathedral of the Sacred Blood 3

Today there might be some reprieve from the cathedral

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I like how much narrative and mechanical mileage the game is getting out of the standard Dark Souls set up of an amnesiac undead character running around fighting other insane undead while figuring out what’s going on. Most Souls clones don’t seem to put any thought into it other than diegetically justifying the player’s respawning.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Memories

Way to photobomb the backstab Jack :rolleyes:

Also it seems Solitair's commentary bugged cause it goes completely silent midway through the video. If I suddenly laugh at nothing, that's why

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I think I've seen enough to say that my involvement with this LP is cursed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Solitair posted:

I think I've seen enough to say that my involvement with this LP is cursed.

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Leal posted:

Also it seems Solitair's commentary bugged cause it goes completely silent midway through the video. If I suddenly laugh at nothing, that's why

I just assumed you had gone crazy and you were imagining a co-commentator.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Knight posted:

I just assumed you had gone crazy and you were imagining a co-commentator.

Leal forget to drink a blood bead and got a little bit loopy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I had died so many times in this area i forgot the No Touching Her Blood command. It makes the ending with Jack a little less of a betrayal now that i know what's going on

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cathedral of the Sacred Blood 4

I'd like to apologize for the low energy in this video but dear god we're still in this drat cathedral. Also sorry about no update last week, some spooky stuff happened

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Damnit, I wanted to see whats at the end of this ludicrously long zone

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Xun posted:

Damnit, I wanted to see whats at the end of this ludicrously long zone

So do I :shepface:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cathedral of the Sacred Blood 5

Apologies not just to those who watch, but also my cohosts for my low energy. My sleeping schedule is seven kinds of hosed up and I don't even remember doing this commentary. This should be a celebratory video cause we FINALLY GET OUT OF THE CATHEDRAL

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ridge of Frozen Souls

We finally head into new territory and even have a new partner to boot! Hell, I even change it up from swords to bayonets!

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Those Super Shredder guys around 18:56 suck. Me and my friend had quite a bit of trouble with them.

Also, Io is an amazing AI partner. She restores a ton of HP if you get knocked down, she's got ranged, and she has a weapon with good reach (so she can hit through walls, like she does around 18:12).

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I still prefer Yakubro over Io.

And the hardest boss in the game? Not a boss. It involves monsters from this zone...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I originally planned on having Louis tag along for this area but oh hey, new buddy Io. And she whips. RIP Louis, forever condemned to the broom closet with the nameless human who is still hanging around home base.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Leal posted:

RIP Louis, forever condemned to the broom closet with the nameless human who is still hanging around home base.

:allears: I'm wondering how long you're going to keep ignoring her.

And gently caress these roly-poly ice giants! They are a ridiculous pain the rear end!
Super durable, they hit like a truck and have the same level of gently caress-you bullshit as the spiny balls except they'll most likely oneshot you, too!

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The general rule for those guys is that you need fire damage on your weapon, most likely from Louis' bloodcode. You can break the ice buff somewhat easily that way. Using fire spells does not seem to work that well. They are still a major pain even with fire weapons though. Have fun reapplying the fire buff if it runs out mid battle.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Oh that's right, I should make another music post! Especially since there's even more stuff upcoming in the segments we've recorded!

King of the Shingai is without a doubt the Queen's theme. Majestic and melancholy at once. (Also I was wrong because apparently "shingai" doesn't mean "relic" or anything like that.)

Tears of Passion is aptly named. The piece dares our Successor of Blood to go just that much further, for their (supposed) goal of finding the Source of the blood beads and veins is nearly at an end. But it turns out things aren't so simple as pummeling a guardian into the pavement...

Heir of the Shingai denotes the second phase of the Successor of the Ribcage fight, and in fact shows up at the same time for every Successor we fight in the future. It's a reflection of King of the Shingai, replacing the slow baritone rumble with perhaps a monastic chant? That would certainly make sense for the Successors, who've willingly taken on a burden away from the rest of the world that it might never be combined again.

And because we're now through the Cathedral of the Sacred Blood, I can show off this game's opening cinematic!

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNLjmfMwPSw

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I should also clarify what in the world I was talking about several videos ago regarding damage reduction, elemental damage, and so on. It's separate from music chat so I'm putting this in its own post.

Nearly all damage in the game is typed in some way. Physical attacks can take the Slash, Crush, or Pierce types. Elemental attacks also have an elemental type at the same time - Blood, Fire, Ice, or Lightning. Nothing explicitly prohibits an attack from gaining more than one physical or elemental type, but in practice you have to work to do it. (There is a single instance of damage that only has an elemental type, but we haven't seen it yet.) Types don't do anything by themselves, but are instead present to interact with an enemy's defenses. Hostile NPCs have hidden innate defenses, but for players all that stuff is spelled out on your blood veil. Take for example the Queenslayer Claw:
  • 44 Slash
  • 34 Crush
  • 48 Pierce
  • 41 Blood
  • 40 Fire
  • 33 Ice
  • 38 Lightning
The way these actually work is that they're expressed as a percentage of damage from that type that you avoid. So if you got hit by an attack with the Slash type, you'd take 56% (100% - 44%) of the normal damage value. If it was also a Lightning attack, you'd take ~35% ((100% - 44%) * (100% - 38%)) of the normal damage value.

So how do we get a "normal damage value", anyway? That comes down to sheet stats and the kind of attack you're using. Take the sheet stat (weapon damage, Light Gifts, Dark Gifts, Drain), multiply it by an appropriate hidden percentage, and you're done. For example, most one-handed swords with a 4-hit combo deal 90%/95%/100%/105% damage as you go along. So if your weapon had 500 attack on your sheet, that'd be 450/475/500/525 before defenses. Physical gifts work much the same way, dealing one or more hits each with its own multiplier. Circulating Pulse, for instance, deals 100%/70%/70%/70%/120% damage. With our hypothetical 500 attack sword that's 500/350/350/350/600 base damage. Light or Dark gifts tend to get bigger multipliers (all the Roar gifts get 400% of Dark Gifts), but in return they do have to check against two resistances at once.

I should briefly mention gift triggers here because they're weird. The basic idea is that if you use an appropriate heavy attack with an appropriate weapon (eg, all bayonets on gunfire mode), you can get extra damage somehow. The exact formulae are not well understood, but generally this is where Mind and Willpower scaling matter. Sometimes the gift trigger also gains an elemental damage type! Bottom line, Mind and Willpower scaling only matter for gift triggers and more is better.

What about elemental buffs, then? If elemental damage is just a type so the game can check which defenses matter, what does "50 Fire" do on a transformed weapon? What that actually does is that it adds an elemental type to your weapon's attacks, and it also pushes the above defense calculation around. Innate elemental values apparently reduce an appropriate enemy elemental defense by (sheet - 30)%, and temporary buffs like cartridges or gifts reduce the same by their listed value. This can go negative, and in fact damage weaknesses are just negative defense values. So a Fire weapon with a fire gift buff - 50 innate, +20 from a buff - adds the fire tag to its attacks and reduces enemy fire defense against those attacks by an additive 40%.

This is adequate for most damage calculations, but there are a handful of effects that further modify damage. Like before, these are just multipliers - Final Journey grants 1.5x to all damage, Flashing Fang grants 2x to your next melee attack, and Ranged Impact grants 1.5x to all gift triggers (apparently not just gunshots). They all have limitations, but if you can combine a few they do stack multiplicatively...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Frozen Ridge 2

Holy poo poo, remember when we'd clear an area in only 2 videos?! Also Solitair's roomie joins the commentary.

Bonus: Side Quests

And here is a batch of side quests that are all in its own video. No commentary for these.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I love that even though this is an action rpg, they still have a bunch of complicated formula stuff like its a JRPG from the 90s

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Leal posted:

I love that even though this is an action rpg, they still have a bunch of complicated formula stuff like its a JRPG from the 90s
At least every individual element scales linearly. I've seen some formulae that are way worse, like piecewise functions or using order statistics *shudder* for an RNG.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I love how the Successor's rocket boosters are a direct evolution of Nikola's backpack.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Io is actually holding the camera in most of those cutscenes.

NGDBSS posted:

I should also clarify what in the world I was talking about several videos ago regarding damage reduction, elemental damage, and so on. It's separate from music chat so I'm putting this in its own post.

Nearly all damage in the game is typed in some way. Physical attacks can take the Slash, Crush, or Pierce types. Elemental attacks also have an elemental type at the same time - Blood, Fire, Ice, or Lightning. Nothing explicitly prohibits an attack from gaining more than one physical or elemental type, but in practice you have to work to do it. (There is a single instance of damage that only has an elemental type, but we haven't seen it yet.) Types don't do anything by themselves, but are instead present to interact with an enemy's defenses. Hostile NPCs have hidden innate defenses, but for players all that stuff is spelled out on your blood veil. Take for example the Queenslayer Claw:
  • 44 Slash
  • 34 Crush
  • 48 Pierce
  • 41 Blood
  • 40 Fire
  • 33 Ice
  • 38 Lightning
The way these actually work is that they're expressed as a percentage of damage from that type that you avoid. So if you got hit by an attack with the Slash type, you'd take 56% (100% - 44%) of the normal damage value. If it was also a Lightning attack, you'd take ~35% ((100% - 44%) * (100% - 38%)) of the normal damage value.

So how do we get a "normal damage value", anyway? That comes down to sheet stats and the kind of attack you're using. Take the sheet stat (weapon damage, Light Gifts, Dark Gifts, Drain), multiply it by an appropriate hidden percentage, and you're done. For example, most one-handed swords with a 4-hit combo deal 90%/95%/100%/105% damage as you go along. So if your weapon had 500 attack on your sheet, that'd be 450/475/500/525 before defenses. Physical gifts work much the same way, dealing one or more hits each with its own multiplier. Circulating Pulse, for instance, deals 100%/70%/70%/70%/120% damage. With our hypothetical 500 attack sword that's 500/350/350/350/600 base damage. Light or Dark gifts tend to get bigger multipliers (all the Roar gifts get 400% of Dark Gifts), but in return they do have to check against two resistances at once.

I should briefly mention gift triggers here because they're weird. The basic idea is that if you use an appropriate heavy attack with an appropriate weapon (eg, all bayonets on gunfire mode), you can get extra damage somehow. The exact formulae are not well understood, but generally this is where Mind and Willpower scaling matter. Sometimes the gift trigger also gains an elemental damage type! Bottom line, Mind and Willpower scaling only matter for gift triggers and more is better.

What about elemental buffs, then? If elemental damage is just a type so the game can check which defenses matter, what does "50 Fire" do on a transformed weapon? What that actually does is that it adds an elemental type to your weapon's attacks, and it also pushes the above defense calculation around. Innate elemental values apparently reduce an appropriate enemy elemental defense by (sheet - 30)%, and temporary buffs like cartridges or gifts reduce the same by their listed value. This can go negative, and in fact damage weaknesses are just negative defense values. So a Fire weapon with a fire gift buff - 50 innate, +20 from a buff - adds the fire tag to its attacks and reduces enemy fire defense against those attacks by an additive 40%.

This is adequate for most damage calculations, but there are a handful of effects that further modify damage. Like before, these are just multipliers - Final Journey grants 1.5x to all damage, Flashing Fang grants 2x to your next melee attack, and Ranged Impact grants 1.5x to all gift triggers (apparently not just gunshots). They all have limitations, but if you can combine a few they do stack multiplicatively...

I love it when quantum physics make more sense to me than game mechanics.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
.... I swore I updated this thread

Ashen Caves

I like this area, a lot. It might have something to do with the lack of a number in the title.

Depths 3

And NGDB and I go through the Swirling Flood and Cliffs of Rust depths.

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 16, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

City of Fallen Flame 1

Me on the left, cocommentators on the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
As obnoxious as a windy-maze with damage floors is, I kind of liked this area as the fire-zone. It feels like it could have been a plausible city block before mostly collapsing in a fire, rather than being a completely nonsensical foundry or something built across running lava for no reason.