Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

OnlyBans posted:

It’s not often that I see something on TV that is like, a picture of what goes on inside my head. Bojack did that all the time.

Data Graham posted:

Sad horse cartoon ends up being the most intense psychological study I've seen in years.

BoJack Horseman (Netflix)
Years: 2014 - 2020
Best Result: 11 (2016)

Poll Points: 117
Poll Nominations: 8

:toot:Best Animation:toot:
:toot:Best on Netflix:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Because it's so sharply written that I'm surprised the cast wasn't covered in band aids. And because it refuses to let us have any sympathy for the characters.

Data Graham posted:

Intricate and incisive comedy that got overtaken by the absurdity of real-life politics, but that shouldn't diminish it or its character development.

Veep (HBO)
Years: 2012 - 2019
Best Result: 13 (2016)

Poll Points: 120
Poll Nominations: 9

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seeing such incredible quality shows not even making the Top 10 is really hammering home that goddamn there was some great television this decade!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Every season just got better, and it had a near perfect finale.

Niwrad posted:

It has humor, sadness, and a terrific story that really captures how complex human beings and their motivations can be.

Halt and Catch Fire (AMC)
Years: 2014 - 2017
Best Result: 13 (2017)

Poll Points: 127
Poll Nominations: 8

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerusalem posted:

:kiss: choice of video for Legion, absolutely the best scene of Season 3.

Having just finished The Good Place but never seen Legion, I clicked into the middle of that video and was like "haha lmao it's Derek"

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MrBuddyLee posted:

Life's problems are just so much worse without a heaping of privilege

Jerusalem posted:

A tremendous showcase of phenomenal writing, direction and acting, Donald Glover's creation is a demonstration of his vast multi-talented ability to be clever, to be funny, to seemingly effortlessly (which takes a LOT of effort!) dance between the serious, the hilarious, the surreal and the absurd.

Atlanta (FX)
Years: 2016 - Current
Best Result: 2 (2018)

Poll Points: 130
Poll Nominations: 9

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Top 10 time baby!:siren: Take a couple of minutes to guess what you haven't seen on the list yet and whether they are a surprise. Will Riverdale make a suprise entry?:siren:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'd love to drag this out, but I'm loving starving and my rear end is killing me. Let the reveal begin!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

It is comedy perfection, at least, there's no other modern sitcom thingy that rules as much as this.

ShakeZula posted:

Few shows in TV history have had a run like Always Sunny, and even fewer live action shows.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX)
Years: 2005 - Current
Best Result: 14 (2012)

Poll Points: 136
Poll Nominations: 11

:toot:Best on FX:toot:
:toot:Longest Running Show:toot:
:toot:Best Ongoing Show:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Despite its flaws, the ambition of a close future space opera is something truly unique and the show has demonstrated that the genre can work.

Raspberry Bang posted:

This is probably the best Sci-fi show currently being made right now. I like how it takes it's science serious and that 95% of what is depicted in this show is totally plausible.

The Expanse (Syfy)
Years: 2015 - Current
Best Result: 3 (2018)

Poll Points: 147
Poll Nominations: 12

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

C'mooon Twin Peaks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Always Sunny makes the Top 10, hell yes! Atlanta missed out, hell no! Only a six point difference, too!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The :golfclap: performer for me considering it's 5 drat episodes.......

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Timeless. Prescient. This is what Prestige Television is all about. Using the patina of an ‘80s horror film, the monster in this is not only real, but invisible.

Alhazred posted:

It did a really good job at showing how badly things can go if you keep lying to yourself. It was also expertly filmed, written and acted.

Chernobyl (HBO)
Years: 2019
Best Result: 1 (2019)

Poll Points: 180
Poll Nominations: 13

:toot:Best Limited Series:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

This show expertly explores mortality, human nature and our own human flaws and expectations whilst juggling some sly social commentary, slapstick comedy and just gut-punch emotions.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think any TV show or movie has ever blown me away like the end of season one. The fact that it continues to be extremely good after that is just icing.

The Good Place (NBC)
Years: 2016 - 2020
Best Result: 1 (2017,2018)

Poll Points: 191
Poll Nominations: 14

:toot:Best Network Show:toot:
:toot:Best Comedy:toot:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good Place is coming up soon, not gonna be #1 but it'll be up there

(I'm still on a high)

EFB!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Fashionable to hate on the later seasons and the finale but I think that unfairly ignores just how good this show was at its peak and what a cultural phenom it was.

Raspberry Bang posted:

All the twists and turns the plot provided were so much fun to experience each week.

Game of Thrones (HBO)
Years: 2011 - 2019
Best Result: 2 (2013)

Poll Points: 200
Poll Nominations: 19

:toot:Most listed show:toot:
:toot:Best Genre Show:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The juggernaut got 6th. Honestly, I'm impressed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BrBa/BCS, which will it be

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Watching Charlie and Mac beat the poo poo out of those kids never gets old :lol:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

I thought this was a perfect show that covered philosophy, psychology, religion, grief, and human nature. Every scene felt important.

Paper Lion posted:

The leftovers is an achingly beautiful show that really lays so much raw humanity bare on the screen

CeeJee posted:

And living in the world of today it only has become more clear how brilliantly this show captures the effects of a global crisis.

The Leftovers (HBO)
Years: 2014 - 2017
Best Result: 4 (2017)

Poll Points: 204
Poll Nominations: 12

:toot:Highest Average Placement:toot:
:toot:Best on HBO:toot:
:toot:Most listings at #1:toot: (Tied)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Genuinely surprised but pleased that GOT placed so high - it was REALLY loving good for a long time before it poo poo the bed!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That's right, no HBO in the Top 4.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

A beautiful, weird show that somehow defied every guess of what I thought would happen and simultaneously felt like every scene was tapping directly into my expectation and nostalgia. What a gift from David Lynch.

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't know what it is about his vision that makes me love his stuff so much, but he is the definitive surreal filmmaker in our lifetime I'd say. And his particular blend of idiosyncrasies is just really up my alley.

Jerusalem posted:

For 18 episodes it fascinated, it drew me in, it enthralled me, it offered me tantalizing glimpses of answers before instead offering new questions. I feel like Lynch showed up after 25+ years to simply demonstrate once again that television can and will lift to greater heights than it has before.

Twin Peaks: The Return (Showtime)
Years: 2017
Best Result: 3 (2017)

Poll Points: 216
Poll Nominations: 13

:toot:Best on Showtime:toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That montage at the start of Season 2 of The Good Place is absolutely incredible for the sheer confidence in just dumping like 18 seasons of potential stories/episodes just like that.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wow, the little show that could! You goons love your Twin Peaks. Huge result.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo, Twin Peaks did so well it got the Top 4 spots!?!?! :aaa:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

My favorite drama of all time, a show that never dipped in quality over its run.

Paper Lion posted:

everyone knows it. most people love it. one of my favourite finales of all time. i cry every time.

Jerusalem posted:

Mad Men is, to put it simply, magnificent. It seems to have been put together with machine precision to produce a series that shows you how the sausage is made while somehow managing to make all the hosed up, self-destructive, self-sabotaging, egotistical and often out-of-touch people who inhabit this world somehow extremely compelling.

Mad Men (AMC)
Years: 2007 - 2015
Best Result: 4 (2012)

Poll Points: 229
Poll Nominations: 14

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerusalem posted:

That montage at the start of Season 2 of The Good Place is absolutely incredible for the sheer confidence in just dumping like 18 seasons of potential stories/episodes just like that.

I love all the weird little moments where they suddenly had to do what must have been a logistical nightmare, like "ok hey we have to cast about 90 different people to all play Eleanor in this one 3-minute scene. Also Janet, you get to do impressions of every other character, GO"

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That's right, we're down to the Top 2.

In case you haven't been paying attention, that means that Vince Gilligan is unquestioningly the king of loving TV (at least for the 2010s).

BUT WHICH WILL IT BE??????????????

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That Carousel scene from Mad Men hits even harder knowing where the show goes and what happens (and I haven't even finished my first watch of the show yet, I'm only up to season 6!), just an absolutely incredible scene.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BrBa has to be #1. But honestly if it's this close who can say

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Come on Better Call Saul, you can do it, beat up your older brother!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Separated by 52 votes (and crushing 3rd place)...........

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

cryptoclastic posted:

A spin-off that may go on to be even better than the original.

Raspberry Bang posted:

Let me tell you, these are some well fleshed out characters. The situations that lead to each character's growth is expertly crafted and are a main part of the reason I believe this to be the best show that is currently airing on TV.

Escobarbarian posted:

This also has one of the best casts top-to-bottom ever assembled - I would shout out everyone individually, but it would take too long, so I’ll stick to Rhea Thee Seehorn as Kim Wexler, one of TV’s best-ever performances for one of its best-ever characters

Better Call Saul (AMC)
Years: 2015 - 2022
Best Result: 1 (2020)

Poll Points: 306
Poll Nominations: 19

:toot:Most listed show:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

InternetBully posted:

Gripping appointment television. Couldn't wait to watch the next one and to see how all ended. One of the best shows ever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I don’t think any shows have built tension better than Breaking Bad. I’m talking edge-of-your-seat, pit-in-your-stomach, heart racing, teeth chattering tension.

Open Source Idiom posted:

The great two hundred pound gorillas of television, and deservedly so, though I think it’s fascinating that it’s actually a very small show, being primarily a character drama about a relatively small cast of characters.

Breaking Bad (AMC)
Years: 2008 - 2013
Best Result: 1 (2012,2013)

Poll Points: 358
Poll Nominations: 22

:toot:Best Concluded Show:toot:
:toot:Best on AMC:toot:
:toot:Best on Cable:toot:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That feels pretty right.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vince Gilligan cheated and made El Camino just so events would transpire to prevent BCS finishing up and creating a complete story that would defeat Breaking Bad. THIS WAS ALL PLANNED PEOPLE!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That's it, i'll post the full list and some other stuff soon, but i really need to have some lunch (it's 3pm and I haven't eaten since breakfast) and stretch my back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Incredible work, Looten, thanks so much for doing the thread and putting in all the effort, it's really appreciated! :)