Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

43. Rick and Morty (Adult Swim)
Years: 2013 - Current
Best Result: 8 (2015)

Poll Points: 50
Poll Nominations: 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

42. Doctor Who (BBC One)
Years: 2005 - Current
Best Result: 20 (2014)

Poll Points: 51

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

41. Justified (FX)
Years: 2010 - 2015
Best Result: 8 (2013)

Poll Points: 52
Poll Nominations: 5

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We have a two-way tie for the next entry

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

39=. Last Week Tonight (HBO)
Years: 2014 - Current
Best Result: 6 (2014)

Poll Points: 53

39=. Banshee (Cinemax)
Years: 2013 - 2016
Best Result: 36 (2015)

Poll Points: 53

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just for anybody interested in Doctor Who, just to be aware the chosen video was one of the less well-received/liked one of Capaldi's run as the character, in case you watch it and go,"Well he kind of sounds like a piece of poo poo if you think about what he's saying here!" :)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

38. Agents of SHIELD (ABC)
Years: 2013 - 2020
Best Result: 9 (2014,2017)

Poll Points: 56

:toot:Most Yearly Appearances:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Just for anybody interested in Doctor Who, just to be aware the chosen video was one of the less well-received/liked one of Capaldi's run as the character, in case you watch it and go,"Well he kind of sounds like a piece of poo poo if you think about what he's saying here!" :)

At this point, hasn't everyone that is going to watch Dr Who, watched Dr Who?

(But, apologies for the selection. Must have been high on the YT recs from hate and not love. drat them removing the dislike button!)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Apologies, the next entry is a 4-way tie

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 19, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

(But, apologies for the selection. Must have been high on the YT recs from hate and not love. drat them removing the dislike button!)

Well to be fair, rule one of being a Doctor Who fan is that none of us can agree on anything when it comes to what was good and what was bad! So maybe there are plenty of people who liked it too, I just remember plenty of people (myself included) not really liking the themes of his big speech basically being that the oppressed need to "grow up" and stop expecting people who did monstrous things to them to deserve consequences for their actions, and work with them (to basically recreate the same status quo as before!). Still a great performance by Capaldi regardless.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

34=. The Genius (tvN)
Years: 2013 - 2015
Best Result: 20 (2013)

Poll Points: 57

Can't believe this did so well. Thankyou, you beautiful nerds.

34=. Legends of Tomorrow (CW)
Years: 2016 - Current
Best Result: 12 (2018)

Poll Nominations: 6

34=. Dark (Netflix)
Years: 2017 - 2020
Best Result: 19 (2019)

34=. Cobra Kai (Youtube)
Years: 2018 - Current
Best Result: 13 (2018)

Poll Nominations: 7

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

33. Adventure Time (Cartoon Network)
Years: 2010 - 2018
Best Result: 24 (2012)

Poll Points: 58

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

32. Succession (HBO)
Best Result: 14 (2019)

Poll Points: 62

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

31. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (CW)
Years: 2015 - 2019
Best Result: 4 (2016)

Poll Points: 64

:toot:Best on CW:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've never really been all that into musicals, is Crazy Ex-Girlfriend enjoyable otherwise or does that have to be your type of thing to get anything out of it?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Alright, Top-30 time people, we're getting to the business end.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I've never really been all that into musicals, is Crazy Ex-Girlfriend enjoyable otherwise or does that have to be your type of thing to get anything out of it?

The musical numbers are the highlight of the show, so no.

BUT, i don't "like" musicals either and I loving love this show, so it may be something that wins you over too?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
And our first entry into the top 30 is a 3 way tie.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I don't think I could ever get sick of this show. Keep it going forever please

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Taskmaster is the ultimate game show. It's a mix of clever challenges, shenanigans, and all types of comedy, from creative sketch based contests, to practically borderline jackass-style stunts.

Taskmaster (UK) (Dave)
Years: 2015 - Current
Best Result: 23 (2020)

Poll Points: 65

======================================================================================

King Burgundy posted:

Tatiana Maslany's amazing acting just makes this show.

Rarity posted:

The show quickly pulls you in to a world of an underground transhuman movement, a fundamentalist religious cult, an outlaw military division and conspiracy on conspiracy on conspiracy. This a world where allegiances are ever-shifting and trust is a hard commodity to find.

Orphan Black (BBC America)
Years: 2013 - 2017
Best Result: 6 (2013)

Poll Nominations: 8

===================================================================================

Croatoan posted:

This show is one of the best TV shows in the past decade. It's basically what the twilight zone was for the 60s

Andrew_1985 posted:

If you aren’t uneasy considering the implications and future of technology in society after watching this program, there’s something wrong.

Black Mirror (Netflix)
Years: 2011 - 2019
Best Result: 14 (2016)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I gotta watch more Taskmaster, first time I saw an episode I ended up binging an entire season, but I haven't gone back to watch anymore. It's fantastic but deeply addicting.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

This is show is close to a perfect as any show on my list. Acting, sets, writing, pacing, directing, and so on. Perfection.

CeeJee posted:

Speaking of shows with an absurdly talented cast, every new season finds brilliant new cast members from that seemingly infinte pool of British talent.

The Crown (Netflix)
Years: 2016 - Current
Best Result: 19 (2020)

Poll Points: 68

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Weird, often disconcerting, sometimes funny, often confusing

ShakeZula posted:

It's rare to find a show that can pivot effectively from comedy to horror to musical in the space of a single episode, but Legion was such a show.

Legion (FX)
Years: 2017 - 2019
Best Result: 2 (2017)

Poll Points: 69

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:kiss: choice of video for Legion, absolutely the best scene of Season 3.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
the ties are fun to look at, to see how the shows might complement each other

like, imagine Tatiana Mislany playing everyone on Taskmaster in the Black Mirror universe

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Its brief moments of heroism and idealism really do summon the emotions I felt as a child, watching the original trilogy.

Meatgrinder posted:

The only thing worth watching that's come out of the Star Wars franchise since the 80s.

The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Years: 2019 - Current
Best Result: 2 (2020)

Poll Points: 71

Jesus, for a show that polled so well, you people don't have a lot of positive things to say about it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

:kiss: choice of video for Legion, absolutely the best scene of Season 3.

Was gonna go for the Bolero sequence, but doesn't work nearly as well out of context.
And the nightclub dance-off is way too loving weird.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

Jesus, for a show that polled so well, you people don't have a lot of positive things to say about it.

Confused Non-Mandolorian Watcher: How come people liked that show so much?
Every Mandalorian fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGeEAAlQdNQ&t=44s

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The next one is 2-way tie

isaboo posted:

the ties are fun to look at, to see how the shows might complement each other

Speaking of interesting pairings, you'll have fun with this one.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

It's the only thing I know about the show, hence the selection!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rob Filter posted:

Takes the format of Borat and just hits the ground running with episodes that are completely hilarious and genuinely interesting and provocative.

Escobarbarian posted:

The basic recipe is a fair amount of Sacha Baron Cohen, a dash of Andy Kaufman, a large helping of cringe comedy, mixed together the language of the most irritating marketing consultants. Bake for 350 at something something cooking metaphor, and you have one of the single funniest shows ever made

Nathan For You (Comedy Central)
Years: 2013 - 2017
Best Result: 18 (2014)

Poll Points: 74

==========================================================================================

Escobarbarian posted:

Certainly Hannibal started its run as a case of the week show - albeit a psychologically absorbing one where one of the investigators is secretly a murderous cannibal - but it didn’t take long to shed that skin and become one of the strangest and most brutal shows to ever see time on the Big Four.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Everyone likes this show, I don’t need to tell people this stuff. It’s good. You’ll like it.

Hannibal (NBC)
Years: 2013 - 2015
Best Result: 1 (2014)

Poll Points: 74
Poll Nominations: 9

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I hope Hannibal ever gets to return in some form, everybody who was involved with the show wants to do it, let Bryan Fuller make his cannibal/FBI profiler gay romance horror movie goddammit!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Using the lens of racial violence and generational trauma. Don’t let people tell you the show didn’t stick the landing simply because it decides to discuss those topics, rather than solve them.

Edward Mass posted:

Damon Lindelof pulled off the impossible on multiple fronts - he made a show that was self-contained in nine episodes while respecting and expanding upon a beloved comic book

Watchmen (HBO)
Years: 2019
Best Result: 2 (2019)

Poll Points: 81

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

It's one thing to craft a compelling spy thriller, which The Americans certainly does. It's quite another thing to do so while delivering non-stop excellent performances at every level of the cast.

OnlyBans posted:

Thrilling, funny, interesting period in history, just so much good stuff is crammed into this show.

The Americans (FX)
Years: 2013 - 2018
Best Result: 8 (2016)

Poll Points: 84

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

No television show over the last ten years has better captured the world we live in or the dark path we risk going down and that is why for me Mr. Robot is the best show of the decade.

Looten Plunder posted:

It was so much fun watching this every week (seriously, can we please bring back weekly TV?) and theoy-crafting and speculating about where the show was going.

Mr. Robot (USA)
Years: 2015 - 2019
Best Result: 5 (2015,2016)

Poll Points: 88
Poll Nominations: 12

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We have a 2-way tie between two perennial TVIV favourites

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Steven Conrad is absolutely one of the most singular TV creators working today.

Looten Plunder posted:

This show is a joy to watch. Every rewatch I do rewards me with something new. I never cease marvelling at the creativity and meticulously crafted story.

Patriot (Amazon)
Years: 2015 - 2018
Best Result: 8 (2017)

Poll Points: 91

========================================================================================

Jerusalem posted:

It was a series that really had heart, and I think it was that more than the clever writing and often black humor that makes it stick out in people's memory.

adhuin posted:

Apart from season 4, which doesn’t exists, this show was a masterpiece of comedy.

Community (NBC)
Years: 2009 - 2015
Best Result: 5 (2012)

Poll Points: 91

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Raspberry Bang posted:

This show hits a lot of the right buttons for me. It's funny. It's sad. It's beautiful. I like how it flirts with raunchiness while maintaining some shreds of dignity.

Meatgrinder posted:

The best thing I've seen on TV bar none. Clever, brief, engaging, playful and moving, this show requires your full attention and is very rewarding. Didn't think they could improve on the first season and yet, they did. Powerful stuff.

Fleabag (BBC Three)
Years: 2016 - 2019
Best Result: 7 (2019)

Poll Points: 99

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Meatgrinder posted:

This show has the incredible knack of hitting the right note at the right time, every time. Speeding up, slowing down, jumping off a narrative cliff and casually jogging back into the main storyline, it does it all with an astounding ease.

Looten Plunder posted:

Walks the line between hilarious comedy and heartbreaking drama deftly. Can't wait to see what is in store for the next couple of seasons. I've got high confidence that it will be executed as well as everything we've seen so far.

Barry (HBO)
Best Result: 4 (2019)

Poll Points: 111

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The anthology approach to coloring in this world the Coens built has been a success few people could have expected.

Jerusalem posted:

Every single episode is just packed with incredible characters, plot developments, shocking turns of events and revelations... and it's all just so easy to follow, so straightforward to understand.

Fargo (FX)
Years: 2014 - Current
Best Result: 1 (2015)

Poll Points: 112