Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I’m having a really tough time ordering my list. What kind of criteria do y’all use when determining what goes where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Raspberry Bang’s top 20 shows of the last Ten years

Here it is coming down to the wire. I just want to say that there has been A LOT of good tv this past decade. I've seen a lot of stuff but I've also have missed a lot too. If you gave me a couple more years to compile this list with the exact same criteria it might look at lot different. First things first...

Honorable Mentions

A small selections of fine shows that didn't make the cut but are still worth your time.

F1: Drive to Survive
Over the Garden Wall
Broad City
Halt and Catch Fire
Ozarks

Now the for the good stuff.

20. The Expanse

This is probably the best Sci-fi show currently being made right now. I like how it takes it's science serious and that 95% of what is depicted in this show is totally plausible. The Political aspect of this show is another element I really enjoy.

19. Hannibal

Normally I'm not a fan of procedurals but this one grabbed me with its style and characters. Mads Mikkelsen is a wonderful Hannibal Lecter and the rest of the cast are just as great. Everything in this show is so pretty from the food to the beautifully macabre corpses.

18. The Eric Andre Show

I love the absurdity of this show. Eric Andre has to be really smart to be this dumb. It's the perfect midnight show.

17. Dark

“Der anfang ist die ende und der ende ist der anfang”

Talk about a dysfunctional family, yikes! This is another beautifully shot show with a lot of fun elements. Time travel is a hard thing to pull off narratively without having to ask the audience to suspend too much disbelief but this show manages to pull off Primer levels of time travel conciseness into a three season show. At times the plot can get convoluted but not too much that's its overwhelming. It's a nice little three season package.

16. Everything's Gonna Be Okay

This is a show I wish more people have seen. It's lighthearted and funny. It's biggest strength is it's tenderness toward the feelings of it main characters and the respect given to each characters sexuality whether they be gay, straight, neurotypical, or neurodivergent. Nothing comes across as heavy-handed. There is no “very special episode” feeling, just a general sense that everything's gonna be okay.

15. Steven Universe

Once this show found it's footing it became a nonstop delight. Just a wonderful cartoon about enjoying the difference in others while fighting alien threats in fun ways!

14. Hater's Back Off

This is another show I wish more people would have seen. Haters Back Off has a Napoleon Dynamite kinda charm to it. It's quirky and funny without being disgustingly indie. It does a great job about making you feel for this egotistical loser. Miranda is definitely a character to be laughed at and while her obliviousness to this fact is the where the humor of the show is derived, she's still human. So at the end of season 1 where she realizes that she's the joke and asks a crowd of people “Why is it funny that someone would love me?” you feel it. But at the same time it's not so black and white. There is a second season to Haters Back Off that I appreciate but you could be totally satisfied with only watching the first.

13. The OA

Kudos to Netflix for giving this weird show money for two seasons. The OA is a good kind of bizarre that I'm glad exists. I enjoyed the journey this show took me on and am sad I wont get to see whatever meta narrative they had planed for the third.

12. Rick and Morty

I get the love/hate relationship some of y'all have with this show. The loud & proud fanbase to this show annoying and toxic but I'd be lying if told you I hadn't gotten some of the biggest laughs, out of my entire tv watchin' career, from this show. This last season has been hit or miss but when it's good, it's really good. I love a well executed clever sci-fi concept and this show has a lot of them.

11. Game of Thrones

This is a tough one to place. I didn't read the books before I watched the show so all the twists and turns the plot provided were so much fun to experience each week. I'll never forget watching the red wedding unfold. But man, did they poo poo the bed at the end. All that build up for a wet fart.

10. Fleabag

This show hits a lot of the right buttons for me. It's funny. It's sad. It's beautiful. I like how it flirts with raunchiness while maintaining some shreds of dignity. It's tough to pick a favorite season of the two because each are both so good. But if you were to put a gun to my head I would pick season two because I really enjoy a bittersweet ending. Those are hard to pull off.

9. Twin Peaks (Season 3)

There is nothing like this show nor will there every be. Sometimes I feel like we only got this season as a result of some monkey paw wish. More Twin Peaks in exchange for some horrible curse places upon mankind. Could it have been the Trump presidency? Maybe Covid? Who knows. What matters is something that should not exists does and it's wonderful. While it doesn't quite reach the highs of the original run for me, season 3 has some amazing imagery (episode 8).

8. Atlanta

FX Knocked it out of the park with this one. This show is just more proof that Donald Glover is really talented human being. At least leave some talent for the rest of us! Atlanta is funny a lot of the times but it isn't afraid to smack you in the face with reality. Sometimes without a moment's notice. I'll admit that I've only seen season one but I'm sure season two is just as good.

7. Louie

Surprise!

Is Louis CK a huge piece of poo poo? Absolutely. Did he make a good show and I feel bad for liking it? Yes. As much as I hate to say it there's an emotional depth to this show that really resonated with me when I first started watching it back in 2010. It's tough for a storyteller to really connect with people narratively. Few do it good. Louie did it well. A good example of this is from season three. It's a two parter with Parker Posey called “Daddy's Girlfriend”.

6. Lodge 49

At it's core Lodge 49 is about a group of unsatisfied people finding joy in something they may never understand. The journey they take together to find the “true lodge” is a hopeful one. Each character is miserable in there own way but yet they still are able to find joy by the end of the show that is genuine and sincere. I wish there was more of this show. Two seasons is not enough! I love the mysticism around the lodge elements to this show. Big shout out to all the goons who suggested this show.

5. Corporate

This show should be on everyone's list. It's well shot, intelligent, funny, relatable, and has this whimsical charm to it that's just wonderful. The cast is perfect. Lance Riddick should be in more comedic roles. Like if they ever reboot The Naked Gun series he should be the lead. There are so many gems throughout this series but my favorite will always be S2E02 The Concert. It's the perfect encapsulation of being in your early 30's.

4. Adventure Time

This a show that will be remembered for a very long time. The people who watched this as children will grow up, revisit this show, and enjoy it more as an adult because it's just that high of quality of a show. Adventure Time is a show with a lot of heart and emotional depth that most cartoons just lack. It's silly but never feels like it's talking down to its audience, whether they're children or adults. Just a great show all around.

3. Breaking Bad

While most shows on got a spot on my list because they affected me on a personal level, Breaking Bad made it on here because of how entertaining and well written it was. I watched this weekly and if AMC asked me or a large sum of money to see the next episode, I would be deeply in debt. I can't think of any other narrative that made me want to see what happens next like Breaking Bad. The twists and turns and all the characters just hooked me. Everything about this show is great.

2. Better Call Saul

While not as narratively addictive as Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul's strengths lie within it's characters. Let me tell you, these are some well fleshed out characters. The situations that lead to each character's growth is expertly crafted and are a main part of the reason I believe this to be the best show that is currently airing on TV. Like Mike talking about his son in the first season or Jimmy's interrogation of Chuck in the third. From the writing, to the acting, to the direction, everything about this show is just so well done.

1. Baskets

A lot of these shows made my list because of how well they resonated with who I am. It's hard for any sort of medium to successfully connect with people. So when one does connect it should be praised. For me Baskets did that better than any other show in the past ten years. I read and watch a lot of things and have kinda narrowed down what makes a favorite a favorite for me. Is it funny, sad, strange, beautiful, or clever. This show does a very good job of hitting a lot of those buttons for me.

This show is about Chip who goes to France to learn to be a professional clown. He fails out of clown college and can only get a job as a rodeo clown back home in California. It's a little strange on the surface but at it's core Baskets is about a man who's passions failed to bring him happiness and the slow realization that sometimes happiness can only be achieved through compromise. Baskets does a great job of depicting Chip's directionless life as well as creating some really beautiful moments. It's also humorous and a little sad at times, but all around a great show and definitely my favorite in the last ten years.