Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

Yeah Mad Men and Breaking Bad are definitely going to be the interesting placements. Two shows that you'd probably lock in as consensus top 5 if it was "Best of the 21st century"

My list is drafted but I don't have commentary yet. Ive found myself very torn. There a few shows like Shameless and Survivor that on one hand, I watched religiously, enjoyed for the entire period, and in Survivors case spend countless hours consuming supplementary material but on the other hand, acknowledge that they weren't elite all timer shows and in Survivors case, was way less enjoyable than the ineligible years.

opening it up to 21st century would probably not let mad men or breaking bad into the top 5 either tbh, and i say that as someone that loves both shows (mad men much moreso). that list for me at least would be in no order deadwood, the shield, the wire, arrested development and futurama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

I haven't seen an anime series made this past decade I would put in my Top 10 of television.

please do yourself a favour and watch literally anything by masaaki yuasa

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

20 gaki no tsukai new years eve specials - consistently very funny (aside from the year they put yamada in black face for the american police special)

19 danger 5 - big fan of italian spiderman so when this came out i was all over it. havent watched since it debuted but i remember loving it!!!

18 eric andre show - not much needs to be said. madcap perfection

17 hannibal - again not much needs to be said. beautiful show, cool people food set dressing, great performances. bryan fuller back at it again at krispy kreme

16 the righteous gemstones - only one season so far but very good, cant wait for more. danny mcbride but with a huge glorious supporting cast. i sing misbehavin' at least once a week

15 its always sunny in philadelphia - i havent watched since season 8, but this qualifies purely on the back of season 5 which is possibly the funniest season of anything ever

14 on cinema/decker - kind of have to include them both here despite the multimedia nature of the whole enterprise. decker in particular is an amazing situation where the real world got a whole lot stranger than fiction very quickly and the relationship between what the american right wing got up to and what tim was doing with the show got amazingly sticky

13 community - 4.5 out of 6 seasons are amazing comedy. movie............

12 glow - great acting and writing, shame the final season got reneged on but netflix gonna netflix i guess

11 how to with john wilson - the right show at the right time, a perfect window into the insanity of the world around us that we brush off or ignore due to its otherwise mundane contexts. if any show on tv can get you to really observe the world and drink every detail in, its this one.

10 barry - not much to say, just an amazing show with a lot of stunning "actor acting well to play an actor acting badly on a stage" performances. very natural.

9 vice principals - another decade, another goggins starring vehicle (hes extended cast for gemstones). tightly written 2 season show that knew exactly when to get in and when to get out. for all the danny mcbride on this list youll notice theres no eastbound down, a show i love but the more nihilistic aspects wore on me a little bit. starting with vice principals he got his balance dialed in and if you only tried eastbound and wrote danny off for it, i highly recommend starting here.

8 better call saul - i am not caught up but what i saw was very good. glad bob is ok after that heart scare.

7 bojack horseman - "you know, sometimes i think i was born with a leak, and any goodness i started with just slowly spilled out of me and now its all gone. and ill never get it back in me. its too late. life is a series of closing doors, isn't it?"

6 breaking bad - the second most whipass rollercoaster style tv show ever made (the shield is never going to be dethroned), would be higher up for the initial thrill but it has very little replay value unfortunately (unlike the shield)

5 nathan for you - one of the most human shows ever made. the slow, natural pivot from helping businesses to helping people, the gradually expanding cast of weirdos, culminating in the series finale which also happens to be in my top 10 movies of the 2010s as well. im a ding dong daddy from dumas

4 ping pong the animation - anime, so weird anime haters beware. adaptation of a relatively obscure manga from the 90s. incredible show about the nature of competition, what it means to push yourself, what it means to really want something, whether we can depend on others or only ourselves, the idea of heroes as icons, as personal ideals, the merit of infinite struggle towards a reward you aren't guaranteed...the art style, the music, the voice acting. its perfect. i beg and plead, please watch this show. its on youtube officially subbed or dubbed. give it just 5 minutes of your time at least. i love masaaki yuasa.

3 mad men - i love this show, and theres also not a lot to say about it here. amazing production, writing, acting, directing, high quality across 7 seasons. everyone knows it. most people love it. one of my favourite finales of all time. i cry every time.

2 the leftovers - if it werent for twin peaks, this would be number 1 easily. i hated damon lindeloff before this show, everything he ever touched sucked poo poo and was made by a hack fraud that was flying by the seat of his diaper. but then a funny thing happened to the dude: he grew up, and stopped hanging out with the bad robot crew so much, and suddenly he could grasp things like character, plotting...even planning out ideas and endings in advance??? the leftovers is an achingly beautiful show that really lays so much raw humanity bare on the screen. international assassin is an all time great episode of television, full stop, across the entire history of the medium, but a very very special shoutout to season 3 episode 5 "its a matt, matt, matt world" which manages to hit a punchline on thousands of years of judeochristian theology and worship. "that's the guy i was telling you about"

1 twin peaks the return - im biased. i love lynch. hes the most singular american visual artist of the 20th and 21st centuries, in my opinion. as a reminder, this is a period where edward hopper painted nighthawks and michael bay filmed bad boys 2. twin peaks the return manaes to bridge the gap between the cozy twin peaks that everyone on tumblr loved to make gifs of, and twin peaks: fire walk with me which everyone loved to review bomb because it wasnt cozy like the tv show. he is in his full faculties, every aspect of his artistic inclinations is on display, he touches every theme, he pushes every boundary he is concerned with, he ties everything up in a neat bow, and then asks you to unwrap it using nothing but your big toes. much like the above, and as im sure everyone reading this already knows, episode 8 is another all time entry into the television canon. people are going to spend another 20 years trying to catch back up to lynch all over again, and all we can do is pray that hes around to outdo everyone swimming in his wake one last time.

Paper Lion fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 16, 2021

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its now ok to go back and rewatch louie, as long as youre mentally replacing ck with anderson in every scene