Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pokeyman posted:

This was super cool! Awesome idea and execution, must've been a ton of work. I came across the thread too late to contribute, so thanks to everyone who did.

samesies but I'm gonna be reading a whole bunch of these over the next few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ah gently caress it I'm just gonna talk about some stuff I liked in no particular order

mad men & twin peaks & breaking bad: nothing more to say that hasn't been said. a trio of shows comprising the best television ever made.

true detective season 1: I'm convinced this was originally conceived as a one off miniseries that the network (HBO) tried to turn into an anthology. the first season is so exquisitely and delicately crafted in comparison to its successors that there is in fact no comparison at all. the final scene of episode 4 featuring director fukunaga's now-trademark oner was a revelation to watch live. McConaughey and Harrelson give career-best performances. the themes of unknowability, of justice, and of the unrelenting passage of time play wonderfully against the backdrop of the ubiquitous bayous and urban decay of deep Louisiana. this is a yearly rewatch for me. time is a flat circle.

fleabag: utterly phenomenal. manages to utilize and recontextualize the breaking of the fourth wall to stunning effect. I'm usually skeptical of showrunner-actors but waller-bridge completely nails it, not to mention the rest of the cast is full of some of England's greats.

the good place: I liked it a lot, not nearly as much as others itt but it gets a lot of points for being fearlessly uncynical and nakedly philosophical.

Chernobyl: one of the best existential horror films-stretched-into-a-miniseries ever. Harris and Skarsgard are simply divine, obviously. features the best horror monster ever conceived—an imperceptible, intangible, amorphous entity that spreads uncontrollably and ends life in a slow and agonizing process, and it's loving real. insert joke about "the real monster is people" here, and yes I get that that's the point of the series, but nuclear radiation is really loving horrifying you guys. remember to say "thank you" to the ozone layer next time you go for a walk outside.

sharp objects: the highest quality-to-nobody-talks-about-this ratio of any TV series ever. Amy Adams loving kills it and the story really grabs you from the word go.

dark: really really good. the seams started to burst a bit towards the end and it doesn't quite stick the landing for me, but as far as time travel series go it's probably among the most self-consistent and high quality.

Westworld s1: awesome. S2 sucked. Didn't watch the third.

legend of Korra: gently caress this came out this decade? it's really good, especially the first two seasons but the latter two also have some high highs. shame the network hosed them for no reason

show me a hero, the expanse, the boys, veep, Bojack horseman, maniac, the Mandalorian s1: all really good but I don't remember any of them that well.

stranger things, the Witcher, preacher, midnight mass, the Mandalorian s2: some highs but enough lows that I wasn't impressed overall.

Atlanta: never watched this but based on the reactions itt now I'm thinking I need to ASAP. based on the rest of his output I think Donald glover might be a modern day creative genius.

kalel fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 19, 2022