Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Archer seems to find some kinship with Vlad, that's interesting. I wonder how he'd feel about the more sane Apocrypha version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The format simply doesn't allow 'canon stats' to work, given how badly balanced the stats are and how the player Servant can't use any of their unique features narratively speaking.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
I'd imagine an Archer canon run would be hell unless the game gives you the ability to use Broken Phantasms, but if it does then I imagine it's probably locked behind either the NP or some arbitrary strength level.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update CII - Bare-knuckle Rin

This update covers the events of Update XLV to XLIX.

Music: Duel of Fate

Hi Rin.

Archer snaps into position.

Get the doodad.

Though my appearance may not be imposing, it is my duty to see that you survive until the end.

I was planning on entering the Arena alone, but Archer would have noticed immediately. ...It's obvious that my Servant is in no condition to fight effectively, if at all. However, I have no choice but to have them join me. The fact is that if I entered the Arena alone, I wouldn't last a minute. The fifth round has arrived and Archer said that they would fight, injuries and all. Knowing the consequences of my actions, I ask that you fight alongside me anyway. Of course, you probably expected nothing less from one you've fought alongside with.

You have grown, Master. Before, you didn't have the gravitas to make such a hard decision. Now that our path is set, let's go. I will defeat anyone foolish enough to stand in our way.

And off to go fix Archer.

By which I mean walk out because you can just do that today.

Music: School III

Music: School I

Archer cannot languish like this. It's haphazard, but I would like to try a different method.

Different? I wonder what she's got in mind.

We're going to link together, and with our excess magic, we'll make magic circuits for Archer. It'll be a strain on us, and the recovery won't be complete, but magic will flow again.

I see. Although I don't mind shouldering the burden for my Servant, it seems too much to ask of Rani. Is it dangerous?

Not very, but it also might not restore much of your Servant's magic. Do you wanna try it?

Might as well grab Rin's version of this scene while I'm here.

What in the...? How can you be so open to this?! Wait a second, how in the hell do you know so much about thaumaturgy in the first place?!

Music: Down to Dawn

Go get Archer.

Just like the terminal said, when I reach the first floor, Rani is waiting for me. My Servant is behind her.

Oh, you got here early.

...? What's going on? Archer seems... a little off. I mean, he isn't a foreigner to sarcasm, but... Maybe something happened during the "healing" process.

Ah. There is no longer any obstacle preventing us from fighting. I'm sorry I worried you, Master. As you can see, my magic circulates correctly again. It took a lot of skill to perform that procedure.

The nurse's office smells sweet. Maybe I should ask what they did in there, for future reference.

What....? Hmm, interesting. If you want to know so much, why not ask Archer himself?

Now I'm really curious. I'm curious, but more clueless than before.

...And we will prove them very, very wrong.

In our first fight, I noticed you used a Liuhe Quan technique to release an energy blast. That energy release flips one's yin and yang energy. It was originally a breathing exercise for healing. You could say it's a fatal influx of chi. Which is the calling card of a certain famous kenpo artist.

You've been tempted by blood and pulled from status of Master to lowly assassin...

Haha, you've landed a blow below the belt. It is true, I have very much strayed off my path. The dark side is seductive, as any martial arts instructor knows. Like a snake eating its tail, death leads to blood leads to death leads to blood.

This blatant bloodlust... Master, he's going to start something. Are you ready?

But first I want to thank you, Master. I didn't think I'd be able to come back after what happened to me.

As you can see, I'm back to full strength so it's time for retribution. Of course, I'll help in any way I can.

Chat with Archer.

And off to the Arena.

Music: Fear

As it turns out, Rin mentioning that she wouldn't be able to fully heal your Servant after skipping the bypass was a bit more serious than I thought.

By which I mean it locks Archer into his crippled state for the rest of the week.

He'll heal up on his own in time for the Elimination Battle, sure, but good luck lasting that long on NG when you've just gotten MP recovery and have no enemy data.

But here in the land of 'lol just use cheats gently caress it' it means nothing.

We need to know how we measure up to you in battle!

Gain a level.

Sorry, Master... I'm glad we were able to get the cipher key... No thanks to me this time.

Get the Trigger.

Leave.

Now, if we could only see the stupid guy, period. If we can make the invisible Servant visible, we might have a chance of winning. We'll find a way, Master.

Go talk to Rin and get the traps.

Archer makes his presence known with a slightly mocking remark somewhat tinged with concern.

...As a fellow string of ones and zeroes who has no business being here, I know how you feel. But... You are an individual being, while us Servants are drawn from a shared data source. The difference is significant. I wonder if you could be— No, this isn't the time for conjecture... But for now, nothing changes between us. As for the future, it will take care of itself. Until then, just live as you want. To make futile your fight up until now, would be considered a wasted effort.

Spend SP.

And off to the underwater jungle.

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - Second Floor

Level.

Traps.

Done.

Talk to Rin.

Now that the traps are set, there is nothing to do but wait and see if it was worth the effort.

Arena.

Don't worry, the girl isn't dead. She did what she had to do, and now it's our turn to do the same.

Trap 1.

And trap 3.

That's something you don't see everyday... I wonder if he's a genuine martial arts master?

When I originally looked as I do now, I distanced myself from the world, though I was excitable even then. However, I look back on my mistakes and because of them chose not to take the role of master, but of assassin! I bear too much shame to ever face the master that trained me— It's as if no one ever truly trained me. All things considered, there's no more fitting title for such a man as I!

But this isn't the time to complain about one's enemy. Let's go— You'll have eternity to talk to yourself!

Level.

We managed to grab both Triggers and uncovered his true appearance. Our revenge will come in the Coliseum.

Trigger.

Level.

Done.

Next time: Say the line, Archer!

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 23, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update CIII - And thus I pray, Unlimited Blade Works

This update covers the events of Update L to LI.

Get the decor.

I can't ignore the results, though. Congratulations...You must be so proud of what you're become... Only thing missing are the cats... You are now a collector. Be sure to see your addiction out until the end. Here's a token of appreciation from the Moon Cell. ...You know, in my day all you'd get was a title and a hardy handshake. My, how times have changed.

As Archer said, the trigger for this chat is getting 70% of all chests in the game.

Talk to Rin.

Spend SP.

Arena.

I wonder if there are tigers in here...

Talk with Archer.

You've got enough patience to tire a sloth. I'm impressed you've stuck around in this jungle for as long as you have.

Gain a level.

Done.

...? I look up to see Archer gazing at me kindly. It'd be a stretch to say he looks happy, but his eyes are mirthful as he gives a big sigh.

Sure determination. Calm resolve. Eyes that have seen death— You're not half a person anymore. —Yeah. That's why I want you to have something. It's time, Master. I want to give my all in the next fight, so I'm done saving my trump card.

Give it his all. In other words, he intends to use his ultimate attack as a Servant— his Noble Phantasm. His Noble Phantasm shouldn't be revealed before we fight our final enemy, though— But, Archer himself proposed it. Now, I will truly become his Master.

All the decisions are in your hands. Even with my Noble Phantasm, the enemy is more powerful than us. We may only get one chance to win.

And then, he discloses the name of his Noble Phantasm as well as his true name. His Noble Phantasm sounds peculiar, and his true name mysterious, but I can't dwell on them at the moment. My Heroic Spirit truly is a blade to defend me. Now that I know, we'll defeat those assassins!

The Perfect Patch made a correction here. The base game had Archer's tutorial claim that Unlimited Blade Works made all skills free. That was Tamamo's thing, Archer instead gets something different.

And the reason I've only called him Archer despite him being the same guy from Stay Night is because he literally ditched the name EMIYA after it.

Unlimited Blade Works: Universe of Endless Blades posted:

This Noble Phantasm is not used directly wielded as a weapon. Rather, it is a powerful Reality Marble that focuses one's inner being and projects it onto the real world. The reality that this particular skill creates is that of a magus who devoted their life to mastering the art of the sword, and makes available to the user every sword-type weapon ever encountered by that magus in their lifetime.

For whatever reason, Archer doesn't get his Character Background entry at level 2, despite getting his True Name revealed.

The tutorial still has a small error. Instead of needing just level 5 Projection, you need to use Pre-Projection one more time.

Get Level E.

To think you'd actually set a new record is...

My apologies. If I were a Gunner-class Servant, it'd be my dream to earn the title of "Le Diable Rouge" Now for your reward. It may not live up to the standards of Freiherr von Richthofen, but use it well.

And get Archer's exclusive Mystic Code. The requirement for this is defeating 300 enemies.

It makes all three Servants line up nicely, really. Nero has a skill upgrade but no Mystic Code, Archer has a Mystic Code but no skill upgrade, and Tamamo has both a Mystic Code and a skill upgrade.

The symbol of an expert huntsman. Aim to become the king of wanton slaughter!

Unfortunately, the Scarlet Coat of Arms just isn't that good on NG+. Only having an extra 30 MP over the Demon of Atlas doesn't make up for losing add_invalid();

And finally get Archer's defensive Skill.

Out of everyone, Archer has the hardest to use Skill. Needing a full 5 stacks of Projection means you can't use it early on in a fight, and a whopping 60 MP cost with no form of refund like with Aphotic Cave means that this is pretty much forced to be a tool to deal with enemy Noble Phantasms.

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

I see no point in sharing stories with enemies. The only thing that should concern you is my fighting ability.

Kill when it's time to kill and live when it's time to live, huh? Just like I was when I was young. A word of warning: Your life will be a boring one thinking like that.

Unlike Tamamo and Nero who would speedrun your conversation with Julius if you decline, Archer just skips right to the fight.

Music: Duel - Kill Or Be Killed

Week 5 Elimination Battle (Archer ver.)

I'll attack you with these swords of Yin and Yang!

Oh...? Are those blades Kanshou and Bakuya? A swordsmith Heroic Spirit is very rare, indeed.

Don't draw this out, Assassin. That Servant excels at protracted battles.

Li always having a free move makes it easy to set up Projection stacks.

forgot the exorcist's blade lol

not like it matters when his only way to kill me are normal attacks

Getting to five stacks doesn't light up the NP icon.

But there's no sixth level of projection, so you just get it with no other changes.

:getin:

Music: Archer - Nobody Knows Him

So, how much of a boost does UBW give?

About this much.

And for comparison:

This is what Nero was doing with her Noble Phantasm, and that's with Archer getting less Strength per SP and splitting his focus between Strength and Defense!

Nero had simple brute force, and Tamamo had incredible sustain, but Archer in UBW backed with Elixirs to keep him going has the highest DPS in the game.

And like Nero, Archer's NP lasts for a full three turns.

Li doesn't last much longer.

See you later!

Why wouldn't I be curious? Servants are supposed to be famous historical figures. What does Archer mean by saying that he's nameless?

Considering the Background entry didn't unlock at 2, I wonder if No Name was meant to show up now?

I am a Heroic Spirit, but not a hero. I'm more like a maid. I don't have something fancy like a name.

Well, I do have a name from when I was human, but that name has no meaning now. I have no true name, no name at all. I'm just a nameless Heroic Spirit.

A true name discloses the nature of a Heroic Spirit. It says something that Archer's nameless...I guess. ...Come to think of it, I believe Archer has referred to himself in third person when talking about his life as a human. ...It's as if he wants to detach himself from who he was as a person.

It's not that complicated. You see, all heroes can be covered under one simple definition—

People who walk the path of human righteousness are called heroes. People who have no moral compass are not heroes, but self-serving automatons. ...Well, in this virtual world, we're all automatons, but that's another matter.

Archer's saying a hero can't just save other people, they have to try to save themselves. A person who just mechanically saves others is no better than a machine. No one can relate to that. Then what about Archer? Wasn't his abstract world used to protect people...?

You might think that. I can't say what it has protected. These hands of mine just—

Those who can't be saved end up being ostracized. It's like an amputation. A doctor has to sever the affected area to preserve the life of a patient.

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's the sort of Servant you called. I'm just a person who tempers iron, not a person who saves people.

I'll never get enough of watching a sorry, talentless Master like you struggle.

Archer gives a mean smirk, throwing around abusive language like usual— No, it's more biting than usual. He's probably asserting that nothing between us changes just because I know his true name. ...But, it's still on my mind. Just like he said, I don't have talent. That's why his predicament feels personal. I should have died in the prelims, but instead was responded to by a "nameless" Servant. When I summoned him, he said...

I remember Archer grumbling. ...I don't remember what happened after that too well. I feel like he said something very important couched in strict and yet compassionate tones.

Mind's Eye (True) (B) posted:

Bestows a heightened sense of awareness honed and refined through experience. Makes one capable of making calm and rational decisions on the field of battle regardless of the surrounding dangers.

Character Background posted:

A hero without a name. A fictional Heroic Spirit. A Faker.

The remnants of a person who spent his human life in the pursuit of justice. While the man who spawned this Heroic Spirit was once a real, living being, the slow passage of time has completely erased his entire existence from the records of human history.

The weapons he uses in battle are not technically real, but are created using the thaumaturgy technique known as Projection. All of the weapons at his disposal are simply manifestations of those he sees in his mind's eye and then materializes in the real world.

Next time: The worst week for the last time

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 23, 2023

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
And there's Emiya kicking in (unless I missed it popping up earlier?), guess it's officially Fate now. And in other things that don't seem to change, Archer maintains his angsty nature. Admittedly I suppose anyone who heard the name Emiya Shirou would just say "Who?" in this timeline, but the whole song and dance about being nameless sure sounds like it bothers him more than Mr. "I'm So Cool and Cynical" is willing to admit.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Yeah, despite all the setup required to get UBW running, when you manage to get it off the fight is just over. It feels way more satisfying to use than Nero's Golden Theater. ...As far as anything in this game is "satisfying," anyway.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

No update this week, getting settled back in after being away for 2 weeks.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update CIV - Twelve Labors

This update covers Update LIV to LVI.

God, I'm just glad I'll never have to do this week ever again.

It's pretty thorough of them to conceal the Master's name along with the Servant's. Whoever did this, and you probably have an idea of who it is, must be someone who can hack the system.

And before you ask, 'hey does anything special happen on the other route, since you'll have Archer fighting Rin?' remember that the entire gimmick of this week is that Hakuno suddenly becomes too stupid to consider the 1 in 3 chance that she's fighting her friend.

There's exactly one line where Archer talks about fighting Rin which I'll show off when it becomes relevant, but past that everything is just as identical as it was for the other two Servants.

Talk to Rin.

Badge.

Arena.

The enemy concealed their name, so who knows what to expect next? Let's avoid them and head into the Arena.

Scene one.

Scene two.

And scene three.

Archer's right. That feeling of being chased is totally gone. But why...? Are they trying to deceive us by obfuscating their presence...?

I highly doubt there's another Servant as skilled with obfuscation as the Assassin. No question, the enemy has left.

Whoever the enemy is and whatever they wanted, they're gone now. They must have their reasons, not that I understand. While I mull over the mystery, Archer notices something over by the door.

Focus on this door for now. There's traces of system alteration on it.

Right, the door without a switch. In other words, my opponent hacked into the Arena and modified it. Maybe the enemy returned because they had already blocked my access to the Trigger in advance?

We have to concede. Guess that means we ought to head back and cook up a plan.

Done.

I'd call whoever it is a coward, but they did do a pretty fine job of hacking the Arena... The lapel badge you picked up at the fountain and the barrier— You have much to investigate.

Archer has a yellow chat today.

And I don't know which battle will be my last, either. This may be my last time to truly relax. If that's the case, now's the time to get an answer to a question that's been bugging me for a long time now.

I nod in confirmation of Archer's statement and then say to him exactly what's on my mind. I would like...no, I demand an answer to the following question...

Although this isn't his normal yellow chat, this is the follow up to the F!Hakuno/Rin Route yellow chat from two weeks back.

Ah, he was able to keep himself from falling out of his chair this time. Archer somehow managed to stay in his seat while mumbling something about "the floor being slippery." Wait, let me rephrase that. He was actually turning his back to me in the guise of straightening himself up.

"Settled" it? Hardly. Last time I was merely curious, but after what happened in the fifth round, what started out as suspicion has turned into a full-blown conviction. As your Master, I cannot allow you to keep hiding the truth about this from me.

...Well, let me ask you something first. What if I were to answer yes?

Right off of the bat, I'd have to think of a new name for Archer, that's for sure. Don Juan might work, or even Caligula. I mean, he obviously is a playboy of the highest caliber. Maybe Hugh...? I'd also like for him to start addressing me in a more respectful manner befitting my lofty station.

I am not involved with Rin Tohsaka in any way, nor have I ever made a contract with her in the past. To be honest, I have a connection of a kind with someone who looks a lot like her, but— But what that connection is, I can't exactly remember. Since our contract wasn't confirmed in the usual way, it seems that some of my memories are missing.

Technically correct, since he confirmed in Week 1 that he knows that the people here are different than the ones he knew back as Shirou Emiya.

Also lmao he's using the exact same amnesia excuse from F/SN.

Why did he have to bring that up again? Now I have no choice but to shut up, but still... Why do I feel like he's manipulating me? His protests always seem...overly polished, almost rehearsed. ...It's even worse when Archer isn't lying. His memories have definitely been clouded over. As a Servant, the memories of his life before he became a Heroic Spirit continue to fade away.

All I can offer is speculation. I don't remember Rin Tohsaka and she obviously doesn't recognize me. If there is a connection between us, it's at a primordial level so odious I don't want to think about it. In fact, she might be intimately involved in my rebirth as a Heroic Spirit.

It could be that she and I knew each other in the real world. That is, of course, if the person I was before becoming a Heroic Spirit actually existed on Earth.

Archer as he was before becoming a Heroic Spirit... I wonder if anything of the young man he was survived his transformation into a nameless Servant. Though if Archer the Heroic Spirit is nothing like what he was as a human, it'd explain why Rin doesn't acknowledge him as a friend or acquaintance.

So, that's all I have for you. I hope that answered your question. It's rare that reality is so chaotic.

You probably assumed we were lovers at one point, but our relationship goes far beyond the physical.

With a huge grin on his face and a dismissive shrug, Archer obviously considers this conversation over. ...His ability to be insulting is beyond compare. I wish I had an infinite number of Command Seals to teach him the meanings of obedience, humility, and respect!

Haha psyche, we get both of Archer's yellow chats today!

Although I knew this is how it'd be intellectually, it's still kind of unnerving how empty this place feels. It's a good thing that the NPCs generated for the SE.RA.PH are so advanced. There are limits to what they can do, of course, but their AI is very close to real human intelligence. As they say, a bird in hand and whatnot... As long as they're around, things shouldn't get too bad.

'Close to real human intelligence' sounds a bit insulting, considering Hakuno is one of those NPCs.

NPCs... The cadre of AI characters created by the Holy Grail for the purpose of supporting the war. I've been interacting with them as though they were real... I wonder if they're based on real people.

...Hm. Good question. It would be easier to modify existing data than to create models from scratch. If the Holy Grail is as brutally efficient as I think it is, it most likely based all of the NPCs here on the lives of humans who'd lived sometime in the past. But not all of the NPCs are equal. For example, the girl in the commissary is more advanced than the norm. Those tasked with assisting Masters are probably reincarnated for every Holy Grail War. That girl most likely served the same role in an earlier incarnation of the war. All of her previous memories and experiences were purged, but her basic personality remains the same. On the other end of the spectrum, the incidental NPCs such as students will have a new data set each time. The data used for them comes from a vast pool of data and includes women and men of all ages. They are mere sketches of life, the original exterior copied and written over time and time again.

As a rule, the Holy Grail uses more advanced AI routines for the essential NPCs that keep the war going. At the same time, minor NPCs' personalities are constantly cycled and changed. I assume it's to introduce variations and diversity in each occurrence of the Holy Grail War. And once we all exit the current war, they will be erased from the Moon Cell's records. It'd be pointless if patterns started forming. For those NPCs in the hallway, this war will be their last.

That's something even the NPCs mention sometimes, that they were created just for the Holy Grail War. For Masters, winning guarantees their survival. But for those NPCs, when the war ends, so do they. They are simply data stored within the Moon Cell so they'll eventually be assigned to a new form. Much like the building blocks of a body don't disappear when a person dies, they are simply re-purposed. I really shouldn't get so despondent over all of this... Even though the human's concept doesn't really apply to me, my reluctance to "kill" my opponents might be a reflection of what other Masters feel.

You disagree? I take you think the same NPCs should be used ad infinitum for efficiency's sake?

That's how those who wish for stasis think. For the Moon Cell, efficiency is no more than a means to an end. The Moon Cell's focus is to provide new challenges each time, so it erases the NPC data after each war. The main focus of the Moon Cell is to observe what happens over the course of Holy Grail War. My guess that in exchange for organizing the war for magi, it receives new insight and knowledge.

New challenges... The Moon Cell constantly invites new humans into it as there's no use for it to analyze old data. Also, any experiments performed solely by using the Moon Cell's old data would yield useless results. ...And on a cynical aside, it'd be a hell of a lot less entertaining.

NPCs whose AI routines were close to human intelligence for the duration of the Holy Grail War will have their virtual lives drop away like the leaves from a tree in fall once the war comes to an end.

The Holy Grail War is neutral in all respects. Good and evil come from the intentions of participating magi. And as advanced as the Moon Cell is, it's obviously not perfect. Or more accurately, its devotion to perfect chance allowed the ultimate anomaly to manifest.

Of course, I'm referring to you. Due its ability to perfectly recreate past existences, a will to survive emerged. Your very existence is far different from regular NPCs, or even dodgy ghosts from the past like me. Even as you stand there, you live now in the present by your own volition.

You've been needlessly stressing out as of late, although I can't fathom why you'd do that to yourself. No matter what your origins are, the fact you're still alive just proves you're on the winning team.

You might want to keep that in mind. Also, us Heroic Spirits are here to help those here in the present.

And anyway, our goal right now is to obtain the Holy Grail, correct? Granted it'll end just like the tale of the Monkey's Paw, but having it couldn't hurt too much, right?

Although the slightly mocking tone in Archer's voice was apparent, I know exactly what he means. The Holy Grail isn't the end of this. It's just a milestone amongst many as I head into the future— That's what I believe he really meant.

~

Until we figure out what they're going to do, all we can do for now is train and prepare for the worst. But I'm sure you realize that by now...I hope. Anyway, don't slack on your training.

And his generic line for the week.

Rin.

Leo.

Archer.

Arena.

This is way beyond anything I had expected. Let's gain some distance. It's impossible to fight back.

And then we run.

So, is our opponent calculating or just cowardly? Any way you look, it seems like they're avoiding a fight.

It's unsettling to not know what the opponent is up to, but it seems there is no longer any danger. They hunt us down twice, and pull back at the last second. It does feel like they're avoiding conflict. —Are they being hesitant? If so, why? And if not, what's the real reason?

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

Now that the annoyances are out of the way, we're at liberty to hack into that door. We've got the right tool for the job in hand—that Harway lapel badge we got a little while ago.

Level.

It's dangerous not to know the identity of our opponent, but at least we've got a Trigger.

Trigger.

It was at this point that I realized that I haven't used 7 Rings of Heaven yet.

So I take care of it real quick.

Now, when that description says it 'nullifies' an attack...

It is entirely serious. Unlike add_invalid, which will still give secondary effects a chance to land, 7 Rings cancels the enemy's attack entirely.

It has the steepest cost of all the defensive skills, yes, but it earns that cost.

Done.

To see something that it can't fix... You're lucky this attack missed you. If this attack had struck you as it was supposed to, it would have been fatal.

When a woman cooks for you, the process isn't complete until you eat what she has made. Did you even notice the cuts on her hands?! She obviously went through a lot of trouble for you. You're the only one who can make things right. You know what you have to do, so do it. Now.

Talk to Rin.

Spend SP.

Have you gotten everything you think we'll need? If so, let's begin our training.

In.

Level.

Out.

If that girl's Mystic Code will help us out, then we've got to go with it. A word of caution, Master. This will be an exercise in futility if you can't handle the Mystic Code. Don't shirk on your daily training in the Arena, either.

As you might expect from Extra, Archer will have no comment on how the Mystic Code Rin/Rani will give us is the same one he's wearing this very second.

Next time: Believe it or not, you've actually seen this before.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 23, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like how the eating scene has Archer break his usual sarcastic nature and just tell Hakuno directly how they hosed up. Of course the cook would take that personally.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I seem to remember that Nameless is not quite the same person as F/SN EMIYA, in that the latter made his contract with Alaya while Nameless is contracted with the Moon Cell.

Is that correct or did I pull that out of my rear end in a dream?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update CV - Justice and the kitten

This update covers the events of Update LVII to LIX.

Get the gear.

Spend SP.

Arena.

...Getting approval from the Mystic Code is good, just don't forget our opponent is lurking out there.

Hmph, maybe a Servant's abilities have been loaded into it, and it's been sent to collect Triggers. How thorough of them. Our enemy really does want to remain anonymous until the Elimination Battle.

This long, tournament-style war forces the Masters to bond.

Talk with Archer.

Be careful, Master. This isn't some knock-off brand Servant.

I tried to see if I could burst down the effigy with UBW.

I could not.

All right, let's get out of here. Who knows what nasty surprises lie in store if we linger.

And done.

Get the Firewall Bypass.

And back to the Arena.

We will be the ones bringing the trouble...I can feel that firewall bypass coursing through my system. Let's go give that effigy a rough introduction to my new power, huh?

How about we expose this imposter's true identity, Master?

I can tell the treatment is taking effect. If our enemy is a Berserker, we'll be at an advantage. But— The effigy is an imitation. Knowing that the real thing could be much more powerful, I feel I ought to remain wary.

Deal with the whale.

Oh, Archer actually does acknowledge it.

We'll need to be more cautious than ever in this battle.

Another chat with Archer.

Gain another level.

The good news is we've obtained the cipher keys. The bad news is the enemy's crazy strength. Be careful.

And done.

However, as your Servant, I will defend you to the last, more so against such a strong opponent. I cannot falter. I am your sword and shield. That is my duty as a Servant.

Archer speaks in easy catchphrases, but I think that's because he isn't sure how to express his kindness. I have to fight her. He stands stoically by my side as the thought turns my stomach. He doesn't need to say anything. I know that in this world there are only victors and losers, and losers are quickly culled. At least I can say of my opponent that we egually share the risk of victory or defeat.

—I see. A bitter resolution. But an honest one. Not hateful or malicious. Respectful. I see that you've finally grown a self-preservation instinct. Then I have nothing more to add. You've become a soldier capable of defending their convictions.

The prep period ends today. I want to wake up tomorrow fully prepared for the fight to come.

One more point pushes Archer to B rank Defense, so I figure that's good enough and start exclusively raising Strength.

That Archer now has his final Skill also factored into that decision.

Fake Helix Sword has a slightly better MP cost compared to Blossom of the Court, and has the simplest use requirement out of all final Skills. You want to pump Archer's Projection stacks as fast as possible anyways, so you'll always have this on hand as a deletion button.

Get this week's decor.

In.

And go test out our new toy.

Wings of the Crane for comparison.

A good bit better!

But we can go higher.

UBW-backed Wings.

And UBW-backed Caladbolg.

Archer is outdamaging Nero's strongest attack. And on the slim chance an enemy survives 3 turns of this, he can keep spamming it even after UBW wears off!

Get one last level while I'm here.

We've done all we can, whatever that is. If you're ready as you'll ever be, then I guess it's up to me to defend you to the best of my abilities. If you're wavering, then I need you to make a choice. What-no, who—is most important to you right now?

That's because she isn't. Let her appearance fool you, and you'll suffer in the battle.

She's got as much humanity in her as a box of hair. Get that through your head before it's too late.

Music: Duel - Friend Turned Foe

This will be like fighting a living fortress, huh? It'll be extremely hard to break down those walls.

Video: Week 6 Elimination Battle (Archer ver.) + Bonus

Of course. My professor gave me a mission. You will not stand in my way.

You already know what end game combat is like.

So let's skip to the fun part.

And Lu Bu is kind enough to give me an opening!

Music: Archer - Nobody Knows Him

On an NG run, Lu Bu is one of the roughest bosses for Archer. Lu Bu's NP turn consists of his actual NP and five Waits, so if you don't get lucky and have it revealed you'll have to use Rho Aias on every unknown command to keep yourself from being crushed by God Force, burning 180 MP to survive.

Bye Rani!

But before we go...

I should at least bring up the fight against Rin.

...Consider my fierce indifference passionately inspired!

No, she's not the same...they just look alike. This isn't that story; this isn't that time or place.

Cut the crap, Archer! That's what I'm supposed to say!

Regardless of the rules on a Servant's memories between summons, these two will always recognize each other on sight.

Which honestly makes the damaged wall earlier this week even more stupid, as 'Celtic warrior who uses runes' should have been a dead giveaway for Archer.

The specific thing I want to show here involves Cu's NP.

Namely: What happens if you block it with Rho Aias.

As a tribute to their fight in Unlimited Blade Works, Gae Bolg and Rho Aias actually have a unique interaction!

Since I had to reload a save right at the route split for this, I hacked my stats to max to speed things up.

So in case you ever wondered how high your damage gets when every stat is at 255:

Now you know.

Next time: The beginning of the end.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 23, 2023

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I always get hearts in my eyes when Archer starts surpassing Nero in pure output.

Also, it's clear that Archer is the character they put the most effort into. I almost wonder if they started with his version of events in writing.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The game in general feels like they bit off slightly more than they could chew writing-wise. Good framework of ideas, but bits where the branching decisions end up with the writing kind of falling apart in places.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update CVI - Morning in the Emiya Household

Hard to believe we're just a few updates away from finishing this!

The time has come, Master. Are you ready? That Leo boy is exceptionally talented. You can't fudge your way through this one.

However, the cracks you've always had haven't disappeared. You'll need more than luck to hold out.

It's like taking on a fortress empty-handed. Silly idea, right?

But a fun one. I'll make a confession, this being the end and all. I think our best weapon is creativity, Master. Seeing how far you've come, it's okay to believe in yourself. And hey, believe in me, too.

I believe in you.

Anyway, I'm just stroking my ego, getting you to say you believe in me so late in the game. But, since I know you DO believe in me, I will sunder that king's saber for you.

~

I'm stronger than you now.

Hahaha, tell me what you really think. I never expected you to be the type to hold a grudge. That's digging back to when we first met. You've been upset that long? But it's true, you've grown.

I'm glad you have. I'll try to blow away your expectations one more time, Master.

~~

At first, you were distressed and full of despair-

Let's go, Master. Life is short, so we have to live without regret.

And then, Archer quietly disappears. Right... This is the last time Archer and I will fight side by side. My Servant always tries to hide behind caustic words, but I know what he really meant. He's a tin soldier, a broken hero in a thankless role. You can't help but feel humbled by him. That's why I'll thank him in a way that doesn't rely on the slippery meaning of words. I'll give my Servant a send-off that will make him smile. I'll grasp victory so soundly that he'll be rendered speechless— I can think of no better gift.

This is a normal chat for Archer today.

I'm not quite sure how that would even work, so I guess I'll just leave the topic alone for the time being. Being a Heroic Spirit, he must've done something spectacular in the past, like kill a leviathan.

Sadly, none of my achievements have ever reached such lofty and mythological heights. Most of the things I did were well within my capabilities, but... Actually, I'm kind of overlooking the event that got me recognized as a Heroic Spirit after I died. It was one of those situations where it was impossible to go it alone— you'd need someone's help. It also marked the last time I was able to save everyone. There must've been ten thousand people all told—

Ten thousand...! I can see why he became a Heroic Spirit...but what exactly did he do?

All I did on my own was get inside the core. Including bypassing security, it was a lot like... Well, picture running through ten levels of the Arena in less than an hour.

He says all of this like it was no big deal. I can't quite imagine how deadly the situation was, but the words "nuclear meltdown" are a pretty good indication that any sensible person would've run away.

I got like this using thaumaturgy, not because I was toasted by radiation. Are you done insulting me?

He seems genuinely angry. It's times like this that I have to endure Archer's grizzled old man lectures. ...But at least I got an answer out of him. Archer is actually a hero, even if he doesn't think so himself.

~

So our next opponent is that young king? He doesn't seem the type to use cheap tricks. I guess it's one of those "things have come to a head" situations. At this point, I have nothing left to say. Whether we live or die is all up to you. All I can do now is follow your lead.

And his generic chat.

A chat by the Arena.

If you're not up to this yet, you can always go back to your room.

Jeez, Archer! He has always come off sarcastic, but I know how much he cares, deep down. He's stood by me through a lot of challenges. I wouldn't be here if not for him. We've shared so many things. That makes even this scenery I've seen thousands of times special.

Do you expect to function properly in that state? This is serious... ...Oh, now that I think about it, you haven't had a single day off since this tournament started. Rest for a day. It's okay, I don't mind. And I don't think you'll be disqualified as a Master.

I should say something. I feel bad for Archer, getting more and more off target. What if I stay silent like this? I bet he'll talk himself into a corner. Haha...

Let's hurry to the Arena, Master. If you're feeling that well, the battle will go in our favor.

There is a gleam in Archer's eyes as he disappears, leading the way. This past week has been enjoyable because I've been with Archer. I sincerely believe that. But still the hour of battle draws ever closer. The final battle. No matter how the Holy Grail War ends, I'll be parted from him.

And off to go kill Julius.

Archer seems really on edge. But they're right; this feeling isn't coming from either Leo or Gawain. In fact, I'm almost sure that I've felt this feeling of hatred before. But, how is it—?

Could it really be—? You can never be too prepared. Proceed with caution, Master.

Bing.

Bang.

Bong.

And here we are.

Master, once we go forward, you will be fighting the most dangerous opponent you have ever faced. This battle has nothing to do with the war. It is all about one person who wants to take your life at any cost. There is no escaping from the Arena now. This is a do-or-die situation, Master.

lol

My Servant mumbled mysteriously under his breath.

...Oh, I see now. That arm isn't his. Julius must've taken another Master's arm—!

Julius must've ambushed a great number of Masters and killed them. He somehow managed to preserve one of his victim's arms and appropriate their Command Seal. I wonder which Master's arm he stole. What if that arm belonged to the Master of Berserker?

...This isn't good. It seems Assassin somehow managed to weasel his way into the Berserker class as well. Anyway— The other Servant probably wasn't an assassin, but a crazed warrior of some kind.

SHUT UP! I haven't had anything like shame from the beginning!

What's more baffling than that zombie is the fact we haven't seen our opponent once in the Arena. That little king doesn't seem like the type to lay traps, but you can never be too careful.

Music: School II

And it'd be asinine to have any sympathy for him, as who are we to pass judgment on his life? The only thing we know for sure is that he tried his hardest to defeat you and failed. The only thing you need to remember from all of this is that only the final result matters.

...That may be true. Just like Archer says, Julius's life was his own. I can't take responsibility for how he led it.

Talk to Rin.

Spend SP.

Talk to Archer.

Archer seems unusually subdued. It seems as if there is something on his mind that's bothering him.

Although Archer seems to be back to normal, it's obvious that his bravado is slightly forced. If there is something bothering him, maybe I can help. Looking at him, I ask...

Is something bothering you?

Although my question seems to catch Archer off-guard, he just answers it with a sigh and a rueful shake of his head.

~

Do you have a stomach ache?

Ah, abuse. And to think, for a brief moment, that I thought you were concerned about me. So much for wishful thinking... And there isn't a food around that could upset my stomach!

I didn't expect my question to set him off like this. I never pegged Archer as a gourmand. With that aside...

~~

After hesitating for a few seconds, Archer begins speaking.

Servants called to fight in the SE.RA.PH's version of the Holy Grail War must obey one rule. The ban on combat on campus only pertains to Masters. Servants aren't obliged to follow it. If you're willing to accept the penalties, you can attack your foe at any time while on campus. But there is one restriction that cannot be circumvented nor will it ever be ignored... Any actions that threaten the Moon Cell, the system which runs the SE.RA.PH will be punished. It's a safeguard to protect the Moon Cell from rogue Masters who might want to destroy it. ...To put it bluntly, if a threat to the system occurs, I am to put its safety ahead of my Master's. Every Servant currently present in the SE.RA.PH is obliged to obey this command. A Servant who has gone berserk MAY be exempt from this rule, but not the rest of us.

...I see. After hearing his explanation, it doesn't seem that surprising. In fact, it seems fairly humane. It's like a last line of defense for the Moon Cell, considering its regard for Masters in general. However, Archer's little diatribe explains nothing about why he seems so conflicted.

How do I put this...? Let's just say that my priorities have...changed...recently. For a Servant whose loyalties shift so, only SE.RA.PH knows what will become— Err...never mind. I was just thinking out loud. Just forget I said anything.

With a dismissive shrug, Archer returns to his normal flippant self.

And off to go fight the SE.RA.PH.

Music: None

After seeing that look on the face of one so enigmatic there's no way I can pretend that I didn't hear anything.

If it's no big deal, why won't he tell me what's wrong? Why make me worry like this? It's not like Archer at all.

With that, I could see the tension melt away from Archer's shoulders. With one of his habitual self-mocking sighs, he turns and faces me.

I've tried to reset my priorities, but unfortunately I am not a robot to be programmed.

Whatever the case, I'm sure you're not going to be very happy about what I'm going to say next. Masters are always held accountable for her Servant's transgressions. The Moon Cell will undoubtedly consider you the target for any punishment it feels necessary.

There's just one tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny issue with this line.

Namely:

Several weeks ago posted:

We kinda do have more Command Seals. :v:

Like, why even have the option to not use it, when even the one line that mentions them doesn't take it into account?

Archer begins to grind his teeth in frustration and anger, as though he loathes what his actions may cost me. A paragon of justice while alive, the person before me never allowed himself to be subordinate to anyone. He's actually apologizing for going against his nature and putting my well-being over that of the SE.RA.PH.

You suck as a Servant!

Just like with the others, both choices here give the same result.

I just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. It wouldn't have mattered if I was kind or abusive. I've felt indebted to Archer for a while. From our first meeting until now, he's always supported me. But there is nothing I can give to him in return except heartfelt words of appreciation. But...I think that's enough. I am truly grateful that he put the welfare of his Master above that of the Moon Cell. The fact that we somehow have made it this far means a great deal to both of us. The fact that I'm still alive even now is testament to this Heroic Spirit's devotion to me. The bond we share means more to me than anything.

Archer acts stunned, but I've come to learn that's how he tries to hide his embarrassment.

But it's as good of word as any, I suppose. It's straightforward enough that anyone can understand it.

An actual, genuine smile lights up Archer's face as he repeats the word again and again. The ever-present grimness that usually colors his expression is gone, replaced with something akin to hope. —Before there's time to enjoy the moment...

I really like this! Archer has been nothing but a cold killer for god knows how many years as a Counter Guardian, and his one prior Heroic Spirit summoning had him try to paradox himself out of existance just to get out of it, but here he can just... save someone. Make a friend. Be more than just the nameless hero of justice he's been ever since Kiritsugu entrusted his dream to Shirou.

That must mean the Moon Cell has decided on a punishment for Archer's actions. ...Oddly, I am actually relieved. I was worried that the punishment would be far more outrageous—

And anyway, the Moon Cell's direct interference doesn't change what we still need to accomplish. If it chooses to be my enemy, I will just have to show it exactly what me and Archer are capable of!

Bop.

Next time: The final Matrix level.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update CVII - A distant back

And almost as if it was never there, the program sent to kill us vanishes. The bond that we share...even if it's against the rules, I will not allow it to be destroyed.

The enemy programs we've faced have been strong, but their strength is as nothing compared to that of our bond. ...Although I have a sneaking suspicion that this was what the Moon Cell wanted to happen.

That... actually makes a bit of sense.

Shame it never gets mentioned for the other two Servants.

If it was a test of that bond, than we seem to have passed. Archer stood up straight, looking proud of himself and, impossible as it may be, totally dependable.

He's right. Even as we speak, Leo may have already taken possession of the Holy Grail. What we've faced just now was only one of many obstacles. We haven't even gone beyond the first floor yet. But one thing I can say for certain, what I now have with Archer is more precious to me than any treasure.

I feel sorry for Julius, but the dead can never match the living. And so we were able to nab the Trigger. But if you plan on continuing your exploration of the Arena, for god's sake be careful, okay?

Day 3 means Level E Matrix!

I guess my nerves are really showing if Archer notices. My obvious lack of composure has him a little concerned. This is a rare opportunity, I really should take the chance to-

While Nero just gave you Level E so long as you kept up on your yellow chats, and Tamamo had a few trap options that lock you out, Archer just has one final gotcha for his Matrix.

Pick option 2. That's it. The other two choices give you nothing.

...talk about my concerns about Leo.

...The war is coming to an end and I can't help but focus on the differences between me and Leo. I'm just an average Joe. And not only am I not a magus, but I didn't even choose to be here. From the Moon Cell's view, my success is probably less interesting than the differences between me and Leo. I assume that the Moon Cell is only interested in special humans like Leo, who have an indomitable will. Ah, but—

Every person is special in their own way. If you think otherwise, you definitely still have a lot to learn. What defines "special" anyway? If a human who could fly did so, it'd be interesting, but hardly surprising. But if someone who never had the ability willed themselves to learn how, now that'd be impressive. For what it's worth, my definition of a special person is one who pushes the limits of what they are capable of.

...I can't argue with that. And I have no qualms about what is required of me. And my partner, who was once just an average person like me, will be there with me until the end. There's no shame in being unremarkable. Now it's up to me to show Leo and the Moon Cell the power of being the underdog.

~

...actually, I have nothing to say.

...No, I shouldn't voice my worries. Instead, I need to bury my feelings in preparation to fight Leo.

I see. It seems you're ready. I guess I didn't need to worry.

~

...ask about Archer's true identity.

Before, he claimed that he wasn't strictly a Heroic Spirit. What exactly did he mean by that? How did an ordinary human become a Heroic Spirit? And who was the "hero of justice" he was mocking?

Wasn't the grand proclamation of "the embodiment of justice" enough for you? I thought it sounded impressive.

That description seemed to refer to "Archer". But what I want to know is what came before. I want to hear what he was like when he was mortal.

*Sigh* Why did I get stuck with such an inquisitive Master?

Oh well, what can you do? I normally hate wallowing in the past, but for some reason I'm feeling nostalgic. ...Just the thought of it makes me chuckle. And now that I think about it, I suppose I wasn't nearly as bad of a person as I thought I was. You must be rubbing off on me. I guess it means...that it's not so bad to be a sentimental fool from time to time.

—Yeah. Now is a good as time as any to stop obsessing over what can't be changed.

With that, Archer straightens himself up. His tone of voice is neither gloomy nor cheerful, but is strangely neutral. It's as if he's simply relaying a story of little significance or import.

Are you familiar with the term "survivor's guilt"? I am the embodiment of all that it means.

Music: Ending

Because they survived, they are special in some way. Or possibly they feel that, since they are still alive, they have to do something exceptional in order to honor those who weren't as fortunate. And if the survivor didn't, it'd be the same as showing disrespect for the memory of the dead.

As the disaster was unfolding, my only thought was to somehow atone for the fact that I alone survived. That's why— That's why I do not consider my life my own. I swore that I would never allow another tragedy like the one I survived to ever happen to others. If I didn't do that, I wouldn't have been able to survive myself. It was then that I gave up my name. I also gave up any claims to my humanity and swore that I'd live for those who had died and not for myself.

Don't look so worried. And don't point out how childish it all sounds, considering how traumatized I was. But anything is possible if you're determined enough. I somehow made a childish promise come true. And during the transition from childhood to adolescence, that man finally realized what he'd become. If someone dared to use their strength in their own self interest, I'd stop them for the good of others. If a criminal were to attempt further crimes, I'd slay them before they had a chance to victimize another. I was a Wizard whose specialty was creating weapons and was considered perfect for fighting "evil." And on a related note, it's really not all that hard to become a hero of justice.

...I seriously doubt that it's that easy at all. In fact, there seems to be something desperately wrong with killing your sense of self for the supposed good of others. I can tell he's only sharing his bitterness and leaving other things out.

You may be right on that score, but at a certain point he no longer cared. He was addicted to the feeling that his devotion to others gave him. In volunteering and in resistance, his self-righteousness allowed him to save the lives of many. While it was for selfish reasons, his desire to help others led to him becoming a legend amongst the people. Under his altruism he was just in truth a mercenary. And he was alone only for a short time. In the midst of all this he had friends, one of which approved of his ideals and took charge of all things.

That is how he was able to immerse himself deeper and deeper into his sense of duty. Archer smiles a bit as he recounts the birth of a selfish, idealistic hero of justice. That smile, self-depreciating as it may be, is definitely a positive response to his memories. I see in it a flash of the young man who fully devoted himself to upholding a set of ideals.

I mean, the guy was a criminal. He may have thought he was on the side of justice, but he was no hero.

...Not this again. I still have yet to find anything objectionable in Archer's story. Didn't he save people? Doesn't that make him a hero?

You're familiar with the ethical dilemma of whether it's okay to let ten people die to save a hundred? Or the one about stealing a loaf of bread to feed your family? Or possibly—and stop me if you've heard this one before—

Amidst the terror, they still frantically attempt to reach the airport. Even though they're all miserable, they band together hoping to make an emergency landing at an airport. They act selflessly in order to save their fellow passengers even though their own lives are forfeit. But, when they reach the ground, the virus will have access to the 300,000 lives in the city. The groups are equally blameless, only different in size. Actually, the passengers on the plane are the biggest victims. Even in such hellish circumstances, they hold on to their humanity.

But, he took their dying wish of landing the plane and he crashed it down to the bottom of the sea. His ideals said— "The good of the many outweighs the good of the few."

It's an issue of life and death, not deontology. What Archer was talking about is like the Plank of Carneades. It's a thought experiment where one person survives by acting in a way that causes the other to die. If one person didn't take action, both would die. It's a situation with no good options...

It's always wrong to kill someone, no matter what ideals are at stake. To kill for personal gain is evil. So what if fewer people die one way or the other? No one's life was really -saved-.

...He said that someone who truly upholds justice is selfless. He told me that his spirit died in the disaster that he survived as a child. Both of those things are nonsense. I think that he killed himself by cold-heartedly choosing his ideals over his humanity. Even though his decision to save more lives was correct, it was wrong of him to disregard the inhumanity of his act. —However. Every life that he threw away was also a life he wanted to save.

To save some lives but not others contradicted his core beliefs, founded on the pleas he heard. ...He was not allowed to mourn. Sins that are committed can be atoned for. Lives that are forsaken can be apologized to. But forgiveness can never be given to one who does not sway from a blood-stained path. That's why, no matter who criticized his actions... He could not betray those he had cast away.

What difference is there between vigilante and criminal, after all?

Actually, I imagine he was far more feared than any criminal, since he acted outside the law. He must have struck fear into anyone with a guilty conscious, even those "above the law" and officials. No negotiation, persuasion, or even calling upon his humanity would affect him. People probably couldn't comprehend why he did what he did. Explaining wouldn't have helped either. After all, not a single person in the world is capable of acting without self interest, right?

"Could he be pulling the wool over our eyes with good deeds?" Doubts became rumors, and rumors became truth. Resulting in the hero of justice being turned over to the justice system by his closest friend. That was how the mysterious man who was feared by even evil people was ultimately defeated. Because he was a hero of justice, he accepted the people's justice without defiance.

"I thought this man helped me because he cared for me, but..." "If I had become a detriment to the public, he wouldn't hesitate to strike me down." It's not that his friend betrayed him... His ideals betrayed him. His friend realized that he was bonded not to a man, but a demon enforcing indiscriminate justice. He wasn't human at all, just a more infallible incarnation of the system. ...And so, his friend concluded that one day the man would meet the same fate as those he'd killed. Therefore— This out of control vigilante had to be tricked into a trap.

There was only one thing I thought was unfortunate. When the time came for me to die, I believed I would be done in by righteous hatred, but-

It wasn't a death brought on by hatred. It was because he wouldn't become someone else's gain. "The people have a duty to end necessary evils—" Redemption would not be his. It's karma. He was severed from society, just like the people whose lives he severed.

The young man was fated to fall to the righteousness he espoused. ...It's a perfectly drawn up story. Maybe that's why this hero of justice doesn't have a name. A hero without a name. His death showed the public the very sort of embodiment of justice they yearned for.

Just take away from this the lesson that devoting yourself to an ideal won't save anyone. The me back then and the me now are different. Don't get overwhelmed by thinking of us as the same person.

Overwhelming? That my Servant is a hero of justice? —No way. A superhero who's stuck on upholding good and punishing evil would get old pretty fast. I wonder if Archer thinks he's a particularly strong Servant.

—Yeah. I'm not a very easygoing guy; how did you know?

That's right. What's overwhelming about me isn't my "heroic" past. You probably already know this, but I think that my true gift is pointing out my partner's faults.

—He smiles. Archer has smiled at me before, but I get the sense that this is something special. It was as if he had made peace with his past life. That was enough. Maybe we met so that he could give this smile.

He talks with a dry, sardonic smile. ...Oh no. I went and ruined it. Now I can't ask if he's found redemption. Poor Archer must barely be able to contain his discontent at having an inexperienced Master like me—

I think this fight has been a good thing for me overall. It's been meaningful. Redemptive. There have been times when your inexperience was frustrating, but you've been a good Master.

...Wait, what? He's still making fun of me?

As if. I'm not talking about "good" in terms of strongest or best magi. That doesn't matter to me. Abilities can be learned and talent can be compensated for.

But your spirit— That's something unchangeable. Even if you'd been the weakest, for me to have had a just Master with such a humane heart is—

Archer cuts himself off there. Maybe he couldn't find the words, or maybe he didn't think they needed saying. ...But, I know what he means. The reason why as a Servant he made his contract with a nameless magus. I know what appealed to him about an average person guided by forces beyond their control. The righteous path he strove to walk when he was alive helped me walk a better path.

Okay, let's redouble our efforts. We won't be able to compete if we don't focus on the battle.

He gets up from his seat. There's no more reason to talk anyway. I think we've shared enough. I feel renewed as the nameless magi and Servant face their final fight.

Hero of Wrought Iron posted:

This is the title given to the one who in a previous life was involved in the development and manufacture of many different types of weaponry. It hints at the fact that in his previous life, this Archer was more of a craftsman than a warrior.

Ally of Justice posted:

In his mortal life, Archer was a magus who barely deserved the title, although he was a Master in a previous Holy Grail War. While not even remotely in the same league as Rin Tohsaka, he did possess Magic Circuits capable of a single function.

While many people prate about justice and equality, he actually went out of his way to be an "Ally of Justice", often at the expense of his own freedom. When faced with a potential disaster that was beyond his power to prevent, he willingly sold his soul to the Moon Cell in return for a miracle. Now, instead of playing the part of the hero, he willingly plays that of a Servant instead. As for the human he once was, no traces of that person exist. Instead, he is now the personification of what most people would imagine one who holds the title of "Ally of Justice" to be.

Talk to Rin.

Talk to Leo.

And Arena.

This is the last area. Master, let's stay focused and head out.

Yes, my lord!

That white knight is a force to be reckoned with.

Nice to meet you, Archer. I look forward to fighting you from the bottom of my heart.

...Your sarcasm isn't cute. And your attitude towards royalty is intolerable. Pull back and cower like an archer should, nameless Servant.

It is all right, Gawain. Their challenge has enticed me. Please accept.

...As you wish.

At Leo's signal, Gawain readies his sword. He somehow looks more hulking when he does so.

My holy sword, my body— They are but vessels for the will of my sovereign.

—A holy sword. Gawain, one of the best-known Knights of the Round Table, holds the sister sword to Excalibur. Its name is...

So the legends about the ”knight of the sun” are true...?

There's got to be some sort of trick to his invulnerability. We'll find it out, and level the playing field. There are four days left in the preparation period. Figure it out, like you always do.

But, you always overcome them. There's no reason you can't this time, too. Now's the time to make use of that inner tenacity. Leo's perfect, but he's alone. Don't you have another flawed human being to help you?

...That's right. Not a single fight has been easy. I just need to do the same thing one more time. Just once more. I shouldn't worry, because I have Rin as my ally.

Talk to Rin.

Poke the Multimedia Room.

And Arena.

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

Gain a level.

Get the feather.

I'm sure that a piece of something he obviously cherished should be sufficient to stand in for him.

Done.

Next time: Leo dies again.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Player Information Matrix - Archer (Final)

Unlimited Blade Works: Universe of Endless Blades posted:

This Noble Phantasm is not used directly wielded as a weapon. Rather, it is a powerful Reality Marble that focuses one's inner being and projects it onto the real world. The reality that this particular skill creates is that of a magus who devoted their life to mastering the art of the sword, and makes available to the user every sword-type weapon ever encountered by that magus in their lifetime.

Kanshou and Bakuya posted:

A set of matched swords favored by Archer. Although extremely lethal, their mystical aspects make them useful for ceremonial and divination rituals. They are thought to have been created in the Spring and Autumn period of Chinese history by the master smith Gan Jiang.

Hero of Wrought Iron posted:

This is the title given to the one who in a previous life was involved in the development and manufacture of many different types of weaponry. It hints at the fact that in his previous life, this Archer was more of a craftsman than a warrior.

Anti-Magic (D) posted:

Cancels single-action spells. It also bestows magical resistance equal to that normally provided by a physical talisman such as an amulet.

Indepenence (C) posted:

This ability allows him to remain independent by rejecting any kind of support from his Master. When this skill reaches rank C, he can remain in the world for a single day without establishing a contract with a Master.

Mind's Eye (True) (B) posted:

Bestows a heightened sense of awareness honed and refined through experience. Makes one capable of making calm and rational decisions on the field of battle regardless of the surrounding dangers.

Character Background posted:

A hero without a name. A fictional Heroic Spirit. A Faker.

The remnants of a person who spent his human life in the pursuit of justice. While the man who spawned this Heroic Spirit was once a real, living being, the slow passage of time has completely erased his entire existence from the records of human history.

The weapons he uses in battle are not technically real, but are created using the thaumaturgy technique known as Projection. All of the weapons at his disposal are simply manifestations of those he sees in his mind's eye and then materializes in the real world.

Ally of Justice posted:

In his mortal life, Archer was a magus who barely deserved the title, although he was a Master in a previous Holy Grail War. While not even remotely in the same league as Rin Tohsaka, he did possess Magic Circuits capable of a single function.

While many people prate about justice and equality, he actually went out of his way to be an "Ally of Justice", often at the expense of his own freedom. When faced with a potential disaster that was beyond his power to prevent, he willingly sold his soul to the Moon Cell in return for a miracle. Now, instead of playing the part of the hero, he willingly plays that of a Servant instead. As for the human he once was, no traces of that person exist. Instead, he is now the personification of what most people would imagine one who holds the title of "Ally of Justice" to be.

Combat lines:

Battle start

Orders, Master?

~

They just keep coming, don't they?

~

Let's make this quick...

~

Not a problem. Let me handle it, Master.

~

Relax, this is nothing for us. (True Name Revealed)

~

Time to live up to your expectations. (Effigy battle)

~

No matter the heroic spirit, information will always give us the edge. (Week 1 Day 4 vs Rider)

~

You damned ghost. There's a limit to being a sore loser! (Week 7 Julius battle)

~

Where is he? All signs of life are gone. Just how skilled is he? (Week 5 unwinnable battle)

~~

Command Selection

They found us, huh? (Normal)

~

Shall I send them flying? (Normal)

~

Ugh, such a stubborn bastard... (Normal)

~

Keep doing what you're doing. (High health)

~

Keep at this pace. (High health)

~

Let's put the pressure on them. (High health)

~

This is looking good. Leave it to me, Master. (High health)

~

Everything's looking good, Master. (High health)

~

I see you're still lacking in experience. (Low health)

~

Well, I guess they can't all be quick and painless. (Low health)

~

They're putting on the pressure, stay focused! (Low health)

~

I see, it must be Sunday today. (Low health)

~

There's no escape. Push ahead, Master! (Low health)

~

Sorry, I can't keep up. (Low health)

~

Don't mind me, I'm ready to go whenever, Master. (Noble Phantasm ready)

~

Shall we do this? (Noble Phantasm ready)

~

Revealing their true name, huh… Here it comes, Master! (Enemy Noble Phantasm ready)

~

My opponent's a doll, this'll be quick. (Effigy battle)

~

Your days of piracy end here. You can use that skull and crossbones flag to mark your grave.

Oh ho, I like you, hot stuff. Alright, I'll make you bow beneath my feet! (Week 1 Elimination Battle)

~

How about we test out whose falcon eyes are sharper?

Babble all you want. We won't lose when it comes to sniping. Right, Master?

Mhmm. It may be a skill from my younger days... but I'll show you the secret to sniping. (Week 2 Elimination Battle)

~

There's no night that lasts forever. It's time to wake from your dreams.

No, it'll keep on going... This nightmare, forever.

Forever and ever, until we say so! (Week 3 Elimination Battle)

~

Use a command seal! We just need to make it out alive! (Route split)

~

Murder and cannibalism aren't love, at least not human love.

Silence. That is god's love. God eats the lambs full of love. I will give my dearest what she needs.

...i'Ll EaT yOU! (Week 4 (Rin route) Elimination Battle)

~

This farce ends here. Let's finish this, Master!

Fool! This is not a farce, but a divine challenge! My god's claws crave blood tonight! (Week 4 (Rani route) Elimination Battle)

~

This overwhelming pressure!

Now the fight's beginning! (Week 5 Day 5 battle)

~

The secret teachings of China are with me as well, God Spear Li. I'll attack you with this swords of Yin and Yang!

Oh...? Are those blades Kanshou and Bakuya? A swordsmith heroic spirit is very rare, indeed.

Don't draw this out, Assassin. That servant excels at protracted battles. (Week 5 Elimination Battle)

~

I'm already used to giant killing. Think that spear of yours can pierce my Aias?

Certainly. My professor gave me a mission. You will not stand in my way. (Week 6 (Rani route) Elimination Battle)

~

You and I have a cursed relationship, but… even that ends now, Lancer.

Cut the crap, Archer! That's what I'm supposed to say! (Week 6 (Rin route) Elimination Battle)

~

You really turned your servant into a Berserker, huh?

SHUT UP! I haven't had anything like shame from the beginning! (Week 7 Julius battle)

~

Living with ideals, huh... Alright, I'll cut him down, Master!

Leo, your edict. I'll purge them from the battlefield.

Of course. My power is yours, Gawain. (Week 7 Elimination Battle)

~

The dead shouldn't mess with the modern world. Drowning in your ideals alone is enough for a bastard like you.

That justice of yours ends here. Nameless hero born from sacrifice, you have nothing to forge with your flames here and will soon be extinguished. (Final battle)

~

You're not a Servant. Amala... No, the embodiment of amala?

That's right, pretty boy. You interest me, so I'll play with you. You've got good tastes with those short swords. (Bonus boss)

~~

Commands confirmed

Good grief...

~

Shall I rush in?

~

Let's go!

~

Roger!

~

Understood!

~

Leave it to me!

~~

Normal attacks

I saw that. (Guard)

~

Here? (Guard)

~

Useless! (Guard)

~

Back at you. (Counter)

~

I've seen through you. (Counter)

~

Foolish. (Counter)

~

Break through! (Break)

~

Too slow! (Break)

~

Useless! (Break)

~

Not bad. (Extra turn)

~

I'll cut you down! (Extra attack)

~

Not yet! (Extra attack)

~~

Master support

It's not over!

~

Good call.

~~

Damaged

This is bad. Restrategize! (Enemy Extra turn)

~

The hell are you doing, Master? (Consectutive Extra turns)

~

This wound seems fatal... (Defeated)

~

Master, I'm sorry... (Defeated)

~~

Victory

Only took a second.

~

Not even worth mentioning.

~

Those were splendid orders.

~

Vanish from my sight.

~

A perfect victory. (Perfect victory)

~

That's me being serious, Master. (Perfect victory)

~

Don't be so gutsy, Master. (Near-death victory)

~

They cornered us badly... (Near-death victory)

~~

Skills

Trace...! (Pre-Projection)

~

Trace, on! (Pre-Projection)

~

I'll have you rethink your strategy. (Red Hound - Weaken)

~

Consume everything. Hrunting! (Red Hound - Weaken)

~

Dodge this! (Red Hound - Fatigue)

~

Go to the red plains, scarlet hound! (Red Hound - Fatigue)

~

Time to up the tempo. (Fortification)

~

Fortify projection! (Fortification)

~

Triple-linked crane wings... Drive in! (Wing of the Crane)

~

Spirit and technique, flawless and firm. (Wing of the Crane)

~

Rho Aias! (Seven Rings of Heaven)

~

Useless! (Seven Rings of Heaven)

~

My being shall twist into madness... Caladbolg! (Fake Spiral Sword)

~

I am the bone of my sword. Steel is my body, and fire is my blood. I have created over a thousand blades. Unknown to Death. Nor known to Life. Have withstood pain to create many weapons. Yet, those hands will never hold anything. So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works. (Unlimited Blade Works)

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 26, 2023

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Interesting perspective on Archer. I expected the Shirou of Heaven’s Feel couldn’t wind up like Archer, but kind of think based on this the UBW one couldn’t either just because Rin would refuse to let him throw away so much of himself. So maybe he did succeed in “killing himself” in that route after all.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The denouement of Fate/stay night does go into the possibility every route's Shirou has of succumbing to his ideal and trauma and becoming Archer. Heaven's Feel is just a straight impossibility because of certain events in the back half, but even UBW Shirou has a very small chance of becoming Archer. It's approaching sub-1% odds, but it could still happen, and I do wonder if the discrepancies between the Archer of /stay night and /Extra might be borne of what he knew he'd become in that route.

Of course, Extella and Link throw that completely in the garbage with the rest of Extra's plot in their rewrite, with that Archer having a very real yet unconfirmed chance of actually still being alive due to visible aging in Link.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Materant posted:

The denouement of Fate/stay night does go into the possibility every route's Shirou has of succumbing to his ideal and trauma and becoming Archer. Heaven's Feel is just a straight impossibility because of certain events in the back half, but even UBW Shirou has a very small chance of becoming Archer.

Guess we're only going by the non-bad endings, since the Heart of Steel end pretty much spells it out, huh?

Bad End 31 Superhero posted:

There's no need to talk about the obvious outcome. Emiya Shirou will turn his mind to steel, and become a superhero.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Verant posted:

Guess we're only going by the non-bad endings, since the Heart of Steel end pretty much spells it out, huh?

Pretty much. Avoiding the Heart of Steel ending means HF Shirou has decisively and irrevocably abandoned his former ideals.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update CVIII - At the end of a miracle

Rin.

Leo.

Arena.

If the Arena has always reflected the mind of one of the Masters— I hope this lovely natural landscape mirrors our opponent's temperament.

Talk with Archer.

but I still can't believe this Holy Grail War has lasted over a month.

Again.

Leo.

Music: Breach

Refusing Leo:

I'm just saying it's not necessarily as rewarding as you think to live as someone's sword. People can't understand selflessness because it's against human nature. It makes you a freak, you know? No one's going to admire you for walking that path. But, I think you know and accept that.

I will not repeat mistakes of the past. This time, I will believe in my king without a shred of doubt. My holy sword blazes for one reason— My heart has but one wish— To lead my lord to victory—!

I'll fight fire with fire. Let's go, white knight. This time I will make you fall!

Agreeing with Leo:

That's perfect—as long as everybody wants exactly what the king wants and the king never makes mistakes.

The disapproval evident in Archer's tone makes me reconsider what Leo was saying.

After Hakuno refuses Leo:

What a fitting conclusion for you to reach. It's a thorny path ahead now, don't regret your decision.

~~

We don't have to defeat him, we just need to stall for time.

Archer's taunt fails to rouse a response from Gawain.

So, this is the last cipher key. Can't say it's any different from the dozen other ones. What is truly of note here is the dedication and hard work you've put in. I'm happy for you, Master.

And that's the very final Trigger of this LP!

You haven't forgotten the cipher keys, any training, or an Alteration of the Soul, have you?

Hearing familiar words from my Servant calms me. I'd really like to save myself the embarrassment of losing by default in the finals. Just in case, I should check the cipher key display on my terminal. Also, I need to finish all my other preparations today. Visiting the commissary, performing an Alteration of the Soul, training in the Arena—it's all necessary. I should do everything I need to. I can't be too careful, either.

Get the final decor.

Many Masters and Servants are alike in some ways, but not to the level in which you and I resemble one another.

The enthusiasm of my Master is... terrifying. I cannot hope to compete with your devotion to avarice.

But be careful! The line between collector and obsessive hoarding crazy person is a fine one. For example, you could turn into one of those people who won't be satisfied until they owned everything. Even I could never debase myself that much. In fact, I'd have to insist on the cancellation of our contract.

And Archer's final optional chat. This one requires getting all 100 chests in the game. The chest in the tutorial and the five chests from Drake's treasure hunt in Week 1 don't count for this.

Spend SP.

In.

Out.

Hmph. When I think back on it, you've really been through a lot. But, we had some good times... Uh, I'll spare you the flattery. It's all in the past, anyway. Well, tomorrow's the Elimination Battle. I don't have any final words of wisdom for you. Just command me like the Master you are. Always courageous, always seeking answers.

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

If Gawain draws his power from the sun, then King Arthur is the moon protected by that light.

Mr. Saber has one critical flaw. I'll tell you what it is when we've got them on the edge of defeat.

Oh, did you hear that, Gawain? Care to respond?

-Not particularly. The battlefield is where our abilities will be put to the test. Petitioning my opponent for their agreement at the moment would only reflect poorly on your reputation.

A knight is a sword, not a source of idle chatter.

If you let your Master speak for you, then you're just a puppet.

How little you know, Archer. I obey my king because of my principles. I freely choose devotion.

If I am bound by strings, as you suggest, then they are spun of my selfless loyalty. Knights don't need to speak. They only need to obey the commands of their king. I chose to be a knight.

The fact that you chose the path of blind obedience doesn't make you any less of a puppet. You're still subverting your own will to someone else's.

Do you have any reason to fight here, other than for your Master?

I wield my swords so that my Master has the right to chose a life that will make them happy.

They say "For the greater good." Can't you see your selflessness is actually selfish, Gawain?

That's why you don't know— What it's like to struggle for what you don't have. To mourn loss. There's no hope for a king who has no comprehension of what it's like for a human being to suffer.

Your opinion is biased toward the masses anyway. You've done the opposite and been too compassionate. Your very status as a Heroic Spirit is questionable.

That's the kind of power only the weak and those who seek salvation want. It's useless to a true king.

But, Lord Gawain, you're about to repeat the same mistake. King Arthur didn't give up his humanity when he became king. Don't you think that's important?

I idevoted myself to Leo's reign. I swore I would be the knight who served him his whole life.

That's what chivalry is. I can't withdraw a sword that has already been levied.

My body, my mind, my sword— All belongs to my king! Now, I shall burn away your miserable lives!

Video: Week 7 Elimination Battle (Archer ver.)

Leo, your edict. I'll purge them from the battlefield.

Of course. My power is yours, Gawain.

Exploding swords happened.

Surprise, we're finishing this poo poo today!

...Master, you make [sic] think I'm being paranoid, but I recommend that you be prepared for anything.

Based on past experiences, I'm pretty sure that this war isn't something that's going end so easily.

Off to go fight Shiki.

I've been hearing a strange noise for a while. It sounds like a human moan. I've never experienced a haunting or anything paranormal, but I think it would feel like this. If it is a haunting, it's a major one. It's like the air is whining because something's warping it.

Some program must be hogging all the system resources...but it's nothing I've ever heard of. There's something big and bad coming down the pipe. Be alert!

Just so you know, it's nothing personal. I just need to kill you.

You're not interested in offing a Master, then... So your objective is to kill the Servant?

Sorry, but you have to die. If I kill a hundred of your kind, I can return to my world. I don't like this place. Killing you, spirit, will free me from this nightmare.

Video: Battle Against Shiki (Archer ver.)
Music: Monster: She Who Sees Death

That's right, pretty boy. You interest me, so I'll play with you.

I go for the usual strat of high explosive swords.

Only to get one shot by Twin Towers why the gently caress did I level Defense then.

The second attempt goes much better, but Shiki's ludicrous bulk lets her time out Unlimited Blade Works.

Hey, do you notice something?

Namely: The fact that UBW timing out wipes out your Projection stacks?

The only reason I survived this turn was sheer dumb luck.

Thankfully, Wings of the Crane doesn't actually need any stacks to use.

But the funny thing is?

You get nothing for fighting Shiki a second time like this. All you get is a second Demon of Atlas, and I already mentioned how stacking equipment is useless. There is no reason to refight Shiki other than seeing what a differant Servant has to say.

My guess is that she's a spirit connected to the Moon Cell's version of the Holy Grail War...

I then load up cheats to test something.

First: I'm fairly sure the Shiki's sealing skills only proc if they clash against the matching move. This basically turns every Skill marker into a 1/4 chance of death, as Guarding against Barrier Break will seal your defense and cause her next Twin Towers to atomize you.

Second: Will Rho Aias' ability to completely negate an attack work against her NP?

It does!

Archer survives the entire turn with no issues.

Of course, she'll just keep spamming more next turn.

And that's it for our very final Arena visit.

As extra salt in the wound, the spare Demon of Atlas sells for a measly 5 PPT.

Spend my final points.

And off we go.

That power that many magi have sought but only one is able to obtain— ...Hmph. I never thought someone who wasn't a magus would get it. Life's full of surprises. Or maybe it's just you that is. Do you remember your first plea? "Why is this happening?" That cry of yours made me decide to become a Servant in this war. ...In life, I never considered myself a hero.

But, everyone wants to know "why." It's not an uncommon question. "Why was I born?" "Why am I fighting?" We die without knowing why. That's life. You keep going because you want to know why. Truth is... We never reach answers, but we leave footprints instead. Don't be ashamed. Just keep moving forward as the victor should.

Now...let's do this. The final question awaits us.

Like Nero, Archer has nothing to say until here.

Archer flashes a cynical smile tinged with obvious malice, as if he's come face to face with a sworn enemy. As a Heroic Spirit known to cut down all who stand in his way regardless of who they are or what they believe, Archer points his blade at Twice, a humane expression on his face.

I've met many fools like you, hell-bent on destroying the present in an attempt to resurrect the past.

You're not satisfied with any result that ends in loss? Your immaturity and weakness makes me laugh.

So, you asked me if I thought you were evil, right? You deluded, spiteful ghost.

You are the epitome of evil; a lifeless shade who'd sacrifice the innocent for your own selfish goals.

And regardless of what my Master thinks, I will be the one to eliminate you once and for all.

As a Master, I agree with Archer's declaration, though for different reasons. This man cannot be forgiven.

Cut to Savior-

Music: Savior - All Shall Become One

From your very first fight, nothing has been easy for you. The entire war has been one long struggle.

Drowning in your ideals alone is enough for a bastard like you.

That justice of yours ends here. Nameless hero born from sacrifice, you have nothing to forge with your flames here and will soon be extinguished.

Video: Battle Against Savior (Archer ver.)

Boom.

Music: Goodbye

I can hear my Servant mutter into my ear. They aren't there in person, but as a part of the Holy Grail. My guess is that my Servant had somehow slipped unseen into the Holy Grail the same time I entered.

When a Master disappears, their Servant disappears, too, until they are sunmoned by another. I thought I'd stick around and help out until we both fade away, but it seems I was worrying about nothing.

He must've slipped into the Holy Grail, hoping somehow to delay my inevitable demise. My Servant may be pessimistic, cynical, and bitterly sarcastic, but at his core, he is a good person. However, a delay this long can't be the result of my Servant's presence. Something else must be going on. Since I'm connected to the Moon Cell, it shouldn't be too difficult to find out what's going on. In what seems to be only a heartbeat, the whole of my consciousness arrives as one long data file.

...Is this you? It looks like your medical records... ...Cryogenic storage?

And the scene is identical from here.

However, unlike me, you seem to have no regrets about your decision. I have to say I'm a little envious.

My Servant gives a rueful chuckle. I wonder what he finds so funny.

Sorry. I was just thinking about how I thought you were a miserable Master at first. Fate can be truly ironic.

...While I can appreciate irony, I'm nowhere as ironic as him. But I am glad that he thinks that we are more or less compatible now. After all, he has been my comrade in arms from the beginning and will be there until my final moments.

And that's it! A year and a half after starting this and I am finally, 100% done with Fate/Extra! A year and a half of lovely, repetitive combat! A year and a half of the same content over and over again!

And just think, once the patch for CCC comes out I get to do it all over again!

Anyways, I'm BisbyWorl, and this has been Fate/EXTRA.

...oh, and Extra?

Get the gently caress-

-off of my hard drive.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 25, 2023

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Farewell, Fate/Extra. Here's hoping Extra Record, if it ever comes out, manages to fix your story as well as your gameplay.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Thank you for your work, and also sorry you had to suffer through EXTRA thrice. Jeez, I did not remember the game being as meh to bad as it is.

That said Rho Aias blocking MEoDP is hilarious and a funnier argument starter than "can shiki kill servants?"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Thank you for your work, and also sorry you had to suffer through EXTRA thrice. Jeez, I did not remember the game being as meh to bad as it is.

That said Rho Aias blocking MEoDP is hilarious and a funnier argument starter than "can shiki kill servants?"

Gameplay aside, Rho Aias shouldn't block the Eyes? I don't think they qualify as a ranged attack.
E: although it still is a bigass shield out of nowhere and those can block the actual killing strike

I never understood the arguments about either Shiki and servants.
Can they force Servants into astral shape or kill them outright? Yes no discussion, the Eyes have way too mystical weight to be blocked by a Servant's passive defenses. Tohno would get a mild nosebleed at worst.
Good luck to the 20th century humans on actually scoring an hit on some of the combat monsters out there though.

Deleting the original from the Throne? Possibly Void Shiki if it is even something that can happen. Tohno would die from an aneurysm the instant he even thought about it.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 11, 2023

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

This is genuinely an incredibly valuable resource for Fate fans. Thank you for your service. Does CCC seriously have the same gameplay?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

SoundwaveAU posted:

This is genuinely an incredibly valuable resource for Fate fans. Thank you for your service. Does CCC seriously have the same gameplay?

:shepicide:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I respect your drive to completely finish this game, considering how badly repetitive it got in the end. I sort of think you're nuts, but congratulations regardless.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Keldulas posted:

I respect your drive to completely finish this game, considering how badly repetitive it got in the end. I sort of think you're nuts, but congratulations regardless.

You said everything I wanted to in a better way.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This was a trip. I've always been interested in this game, thought about playing multiple times but never got around to. Having seen this LP from beginning to end, god am I glad I didn't, this looks miserable. But at least it has some interesting story and character beats (if nowhere near enough to do it three times and some weeks are terrible) and the LP was a lot of fun, so thanks for playing through this!

I love that EMIYA clearly sees himself in Gawain, and is worried Hakuno will turn into Gilgamesh due to their need to collect everything. He was amusing to the end, as he tends to be.

Can't wait for CCC but you deserve a break so I also hope the patch isn't ready too soon.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Thanks for a fantastic LP! That sure was a game that had...gameplay design. Of some sort.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Thanks for the detailed LP! I played this when it came out and remember enjoying it, though perhaps that's because I only did a single playthrough (M!Hakuno, Saber, Rin) and assumed that there must (must!) have been reasonable differences given the massive differences between the routes in FSN. Silly me...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well that was something. I checked out this LP cause I was morbidly curious about this game. I heard it was perfectly representative of Imageepoch's overall output, a big product of mediocrity after mediocrity. And yeah, it sure delivered on that front.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Thank you very much, haven't followed the Fate series since the original Stay/Night, so interesting to see another from the series. I do think I'm better off not having tried to suffer through the gameplay, so my thanks for your sacrifice in that regards.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Thanks for suffering through this for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Got sent here from the FGO thread. Thank you for playing this game so that nobody else had to.

I would also read CCC if your soul can really take it!