Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update LXXXVII - Saber lately

This update covers the events of Update LIV to LVI.

That's right, everyone, its time for the embodiment of wasted potential that is Week 6!

So let's get the world's worst mystery started.

At least this week will be quick, now that I can skip the majority of it.

None other than our next opponent. They conceal their name along with their Servant's. How thorough. Praetor. We will need a new tactic for this next enemy.

Music: School I

God I can't wait for Extra Record to completely revamp this week in particular.

Get the Lapel Badge.

And into the Arena.

Music: Fear

This Master is a sneaky one, so it would be wise for us to watch out for traps as we proceed deeper.

First scene.

Gain a level.

Second scene.

And the gate.

Saber takes a fighting stance as the enemy closes in. I stop breathing. Time slows to a crawl. ...Nothing happens? As I nervously grind my teeth, Saber's stance relaxes.

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

Saber's right. That feeling of being chased is totally gone. But why...? Are they trying to deceive us by obfuscating their presence...?

Highly unlikely. If this opponent is as skilled as the Assassin from the fifth round it is possible, but I believe the correct assumption is that they retreated.

Whoever the enemy is and whatever they wanted, they're gone now. They must have their reasons, not that I understand. While I mull over the mystery, Saber notices something over by the door.

look at the clues that have been left in this door, Master.

Right, the door without a switch. In other words, my opponent hacked into the Arena and modified it. Maybe the enemy returned because they had already blocked my access to the Trigger in advance?

All we can do is retreat and come up with a plan.

Music: School III

Your opponent this time is a magus capable of altering the Arena. I won't have you losing to them. The lapel badge you picked up at the fountain and the barrier— You have much to investigate.

Music: Down to Dawn

Nero's yellow chat shows up quickly this week.

But lately, I've given some serious thought to the future. Two more battles. I've struggled tooth and nail to survive, and now I'm one of the four remaining participants. Why am I fighting? What do I want from the Holy Grail? How many Wizards have died so far? It's too much to think about, the costs too high to calculate. I figured out what I am, but all I really honed in this hellish prep period was my survival instinct. I don't want to disappear. I don't want to die. Not without leaving something meaningful behind. —But, I have no home to return to. ...I can forget this stuff when I'm fighting, but it hounds me when I try to relax. Will I be able to survive? What will be waiting for me after the war? Do I deserve to live?

I look up in response to Saber's scolding. Her beautiful face has a severe but knowing look.

...Very well. You have time on your hands, so let us talk. I have inquired about the details of your life before, hoping to learn the intricacies of your character.

When you did not provide a concrete answer, I was a bit disappointed in you for being so reserved. But, it was cruel of me to expect more when you have been undergoing great mental conflict. Only you can come to terms with your past. I cannot alleviate your pain for you. So, let us talk of something more positive. I will not begrudge you this momentary diversion, Praetor. Besides, the end of the Holy Grail War is near. As a Servant, I need to know my Master's wish.

Saber asks the big question. The Holy Grail can grant any wish. What would I wish for?

To keep living as I am.

The first two options give the same result.

Yes, that's my wish. It's the same thing any person would wish for. But, it's something that'll happen anyway—without the transcendental power of the Holy Grail. "Please let me live to see tomorrow." People take the future for granted, unless they're in dire straits. That's not a good wish. Then, my wish is— I guess I'm still undecided.

...? Saber's taking my indecisive response better than I thought. She's even smiling! My answer's the same stupid thing as last time, so...how does she figure that I've grown?

Your current answer is not the same. "Undecided" means you don't have an answer, but you are looking. Quite different from last time, when you claimed to have no wishes! ...Well, your selflessness still dissatisfies me, but at least your vibrant expression is pleasing! You look beautifully determined. The way your eyes reflect light reminds me more of the stars than the sun. The light in your eyes is a bright twinkling in a dark firmament.

I fluster under her open affection. ...And hey, isn't that metaphor a little over the top, even for Saber?

It is not excessive praise! I am saddened you will take the stars with you when you leave me. But, stars are necessarily distant, so it would be foolish to think my personal feelings could stop you.

As a token of my appreciation for this discussion, no topic will be off-limit.

I'd like that. Next time we have a down moment, I'll ask Saber about herself—

~

To have fun and never work! Whee!

Yeah, that's it. Nothing else stands out in my mind as more true. Money, love, and power make the world go 'round. A flash of light blazes through my magic circuits. Aagh, my thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched!

Denied. Do you want to become rust upon my sword?

That was a scathing comeback for something that even Saber knew was a joke. ...But, I don't think Saber is in any position to lecture me when it comes to luxury or debauchery! I can't think of another Heroic Spirit who indulged in luxury to the degree she did.

I spared no expense entertaining and appeasing my citizens. Oh, fine. I emptied the coffers of Rome, and that was foolish. But, it went to good causes! And it was mine to spend anyway! All I did was show my people what would happen if they continued to rely on other cultures for wealth! In a way, I did them a favor by putting an end to Rome's prodigal years. Do you disagree?!

I'm jealous of her personal theater.

Every option gives the same result here.

S-Silence! I only did what I thought was right. Now, let the past lie! Do not bother wishing for something so plebeian! I-If you wish, I can arrange a harem for you. Instead, wish for something you cannot have otherwise. Wishes are ideals that cannot be achieved through any normal means. What is in your mind?

...My mind, my ideals... In other words, what makes me human. "I want to live." "I don't want to die." My mind is where my animal instincts become refined to the point where I can perceive beauty and affection. There are things I love. There are things I can't stand. I want to hold hands with someone. I want to hurt someone. If I'm mere data, where does that spectrum of emotions come from? My fights have aroused a variety of emotions in me, as well as in my opponents. Oh, maybe— I probably picked things up from them. Empathy allows humans to mimic and learn from each other's emotions. Whoever I was before, and whatever my wish was, I'm different now. My once-empty brain is filled with memories, and my wish is... I guess I'm still undecided.

Is that so. Very well. I simply do not know what I'm going to do about you, Master.

Saber takes my indecisive response better than I thought she would. She's even smiling. ...She knows there's a difference between people without wishes and those seeking them. Even though I don't have an answer to her question yet, she can see that I've grown.

I'll allow you a passing grade for that somewhat satisfactory conversation.

I'd like that. Next time we have a down moment, I'll ask Saber about herself—

As that 'one question' implies, this is the prereq for Nero's Level E Matrix next week.

Talk to Leo.

Talk to Rani.

Talk to Leo again.

Music: Breach

And run into Rin.

This is no good. We must gain some distance, Praetor. Deeper! We must form a plan against this foe.

One bit of running later...

Music: None

What manner of folly is this?! I simply cannot fathom our enemy's motives this time...

It's unsettling to not know what the opponent is up to, but it seems there is no longer any danger. They hunt us down twice, and pull back at the last second. It does feel like they're avoiding conflict. —Are they being hesitant? If so, why? And if not, what's the real reason?

We now are at liberty to hack into that meddlesome door with the Harway lapel badge.

It is unnerving not to know the identity of our opponent, but at least we have acquired a Trigger.

Get the Trigger.

And then do something fun with the Nephilim.

Music: Battle - Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea

See, Nero has one of the more out there room chat requirements.

Namely: Using her Noble Phantasm on regular enemies.

The problem, however, is just dragging a fight out long enough to use the drat thing. With this much damage, only a Nephilim has enough bulk to have a chance at lasting long enough.

And even then, I have to make heavy use of cheats and savestates to minimize damage from tied attacks.

This took... a while.

And just think, I have to do this several more times!

Gain a level.

And leave.

You would have never survived such an attack. If it hit you, you'd be dead right now.

Time for lunch.

Lunch time over.

To make matters worse, your behavior was...boorish and insensitive in the extreme!

She obviously went through a great deal of trouble just to make something special for you! Though she may be our enemy, I feel you should make amends somehow, perhaps with a gift of salt.

Nero going out of her way to call Rani our enemy feels a bit strange here, considering she's been helping us since Week 4. Tamamo called her a (love) rival, for comparison.

Your inability to appreciate the subtleties of a woman's emotions is appalling! Now, go after her!

Nero has an unmarked chat today.

Saber plays with the hem of her red dress as she speaks. What could she want to set straight? I don't know Saber perfectly, but I'm no ignoramus...

We must speak of clothing. I hear one Heroic Spirit is a female who dressed as a man to be king. As a result, history recorded her as male. Hiding her gender must have been convenient in keeping order. I do praise her determination, but my reasons for preferring men's clothes were quite different.

Now I'm seeing her flamboyant side. Why did Saber bring this up? Is it important that I know about her cross-dressing...or rather, about her dressing habits? She's implying that—

Indeed, I love both men and women. I love all humans, without regard to their gender. That is another thing I wish to set straight. I do not consider gender when I devote myself to a person.

...Nero already had a room chat mentioning that she's bisexual in Week 1. Did we really need a second this far in?

Saber puffs out her chest proudly, apparently immune to any pricks of conscience on the matter. ...Oh man. Should I consider her remarkably humanitarian, or polymorphously perverse? Just when I think I've gotten to know her, she pushes aside the curtain to reveal more mysteries.

That was the end of the chat too. Nero just really wanted to mention that she's bi as hell, I guess.

You know, there's a non-zero chance that I completely max out Nero's Strength by the end of the game.

Have you prepared for entering the Arena? If we are to train, we must have the necessary items.

In.

Use Nero's NP again.

Out.

To rely on that woman's Mystic Code runs counter to my values, but I shall permit it! However! If you had bolstered my strength, such a thing would be unnecessary. You know what you must do. Devote yourself to the Arena, and supply me with the usual magic.

God, I can't believe that so little happens this week that I can tear through half of it in a single update.

Next time: At least it'll only take one more update to finish.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

BisbyWorl posted:

However! If you had bolstered my strength, such a thing would be unnecessary.

Yeah! A++ Strength is obviously not enough, what have ya been doin'? :roflolmao:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

NyoroEevee posted:

Yeah! A++ Strength is obviously not enough, what have ya been doin'? :roflolmao:

Does that bar look full to you? :colbert:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Does that bar look full to you? :colbert:

This is actually how some walk throughs say Saber should be built, same as caster but sub MAG for STR. IGNORE EVERYTHING, BOOST ONLY STR/MAG. Same for archer, since the general mentality is, if it's dead it wont hurt you.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LXXXVIII - Funny clothes

This update covers the events of Update LVI to LIX.

Is getting the Base Red here so important that the devs just had to make it one of the few things to not carry over into NG+?

At least we hit another optional chat with Nero. This one is for five Nephilim kills.

Hmph, I am regretful that the Arena is not the Roman Coliseum.

...Wait a sec. Did I just hear what I think I heard? The lion is fine. The killing, that's cool. But, wasn't something indecent sandwiched in there...?

Wh-Why do you look at me as if I were some deranged child? Lion! Nude! Strangling! You hold the lion's head under your bare arm like so and...snap!

She snapped its neck? She snapped a lion's neck? My Saber, with her lithe, slender body, snapped the steely neck of a lion? And we're talking BEFORE she became a Heroic Spirit...right?

Er...That is, um. That method of lion killing was too stunning to gain popular usage.

Saber looks away sheepishly. Yeeeah... Somebody was exaggerating.

I-I made it faint! Which is victory enough, against a lion! Seeing as its bones are rather, um, solid...

Saber starts bombastically, then trails off into silence. Thank god she's not some kind of lion decapitator. Just some sort of ancient Pro Wrestler...

The textbox actually bugs out here and doesn't show the text while Nero is speaking.

It pops up for a single frame as soon as she finishes.

Saber's shoulders slump at the unpleasant memory. ...But wow... What a megalomaniacal emperor she must have been, to view Heracles as a rival...

The bright design of this floor is the only redeeming factor of Week 6.

It is good to win the Mystic Code's approval, but don't forget that our current opponent may come after us.

Saber is right, as always. Gaining the Mystic Code's approval won't mean anything if I'm dead. I should proceed to explore the Arena, but with caution.

It cannot be a Servant... It resembles the effigy from the preliminaries all too well. Perhaps it has been endowed with a Servant's abilities and has been sent to collect Triggers. How thorough. Our enemy truly does intend to remain anonymous until the Elimination Battle.

It is like when I choose to relieve stress by putting paint to canvas...

Have a quick chat with Nero.

Grab another NP kill.

Which also nets me a level.

And go deal with the effigy.

Ready yourself, Master... In a beautiful dance of blades, we will coax out its true identity!

Let us retire with that information. Who knows what trap lies in wait if we dawdle here.

Music: Duel of Fate

One more level!

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - Second Floor

Fortunately, I feel the effect of the firewall bypass coursing through my system, giving me strength. We must find that construct and dismantle it.

Deal with the effigy.

I will pulverize you and extract your identity, cheap imitation!

The effigy lasts for two attacks.

Nero stronk.

I can tell the treatment is taking effect. If our enemy is a Lancer, we'll be at an advantage. But— The effigy is an imitation. Knowing that the real thing could be much more powerful, I feel I ought to remain wary.

Deal with Moby Dick.

Let us go, Praetor! My blade will slice the blubbery hide of that mammoth monster into slivers!

I suddenly have a craving for seafood.

Gain a level.

We may have retrieved the Triggers, but our enemy this time is stronger than Heracles. Never fear. When we take to the Coliseum floor, I will make you victorious, Praetor.

Get the Trigger.

And done.

However, as your Servant, my duty is to clear your path to the Holy Grail of all obstacles. The enemy is exceptionally strong. Therefore, I cannot allow my blade to become dulled.

Saber's gaze is more solemn than usual, and she fixates it on me. She doesn't say a word, not even to goad me into responding. There's a reprimand in her words, but also compassion. The reprimand wasn't necessary. I know that in this world there are only victors and losers, and losers are quickly culled. At least I can say of my opponent that we egually share the risk of victory or defeat.

Very good. I approve of this resolve, my Master. Let us go. We must fully prepare ourselves for the battle ahead.

The prep period ends today. I want to wake up tomorrow fully prepared for the fight to come.

The goldfish is the same as Tamamo's.

:toot:

So how does Nero's final skill compare to Tamamo's?

A hell of a lot better. It can only be used for three turns in any given fight, but using Nero's NP is a lot easier than having to stay at critical HP. Plus, Nero's utterly jacked Strength means that any enemy that survives long enough for Theater will already be almost dead, effectively making Blossom of the Court an I Win button.

Let's see if I can squeeze in a use of it on this Nephilim.

Turns out, that the best way to stall for three turns *and* avoid piling on too much damage is to just spam Thrice-Setting Sun forever.

Local emperor too arrogant to die.

And I just barely keep it alive.

Aaaaaaaaand its identical to her very first skill with some added flashy bits. Great show of effort, Extra. :v:

Jesus christ that's a lot of damage, though. :stare:

For comparison, a Merciful Sky-buffed Chaos Heaven from Tamamo in the same week hit for 2.3K. Fiery and Frigid would probably have hit for around 3K.

If I start chugging Elixirs, Nero can very easily shred anything that is able to last to turn 4.

Though our preparations are limited, let us approach the Coliseum with our heads held high. Even if you were not friends before, she is your friend now. You should resolve to give it your all.

That last Nephilim kill was the last NP use I needed for this chat.

??? Why is Saber so angry? I'm doing only what comes naturally to me... But I don't know what else she has to be mad about...

You fool, I'm speaking of my Noble Phantasm! How dare you levy it against insignificant enemies! My golden theater is for grand performances only! Used too often, its spectators will lose interest!

Ignoring the spectators comment... Perhaps I've been a bit too free with my use of her Noble Phantasm. But, I only use it so frequently in order to see Saber in all her sensational glory.

...That permission came fast. Saber comes off stoic and honorable, but she flusters under flattery. As a Master, I worry that she's too easy to manipulate... Putting that concern aside, this is a good time to ask why Saber's Noble Phantasm takes the form it does.

My Noble Phantasm could have been any of the many things I treasured while I was alive. I cherished the theater best, as I am also an architect, songwriter, writer, painter, and fashionista.

You! Don't look so exasperated! I know what it means to be crazy about something but be bad at it! Some may want to say I spread myself too thin, but I say the sun does not complain of being overburdened!

...Saber retorts before I even say anything. She's as sensitive to criticism as she is to compliments. ...You know, I don't understand why an emperor would be so gung-ho about artisan stuff.

...To me, art is life. To create is to breathe.

But, making art is different. I have even soothed the torn edges of a few relationships with art. Hmm, perhaps art has always been my mode of expression. That must be why I created so many works.

She speaks fondly of the past. ...I misunderstood her enthusiasm for art as flighty when in fact it is a lot more serious. She created great works in order for people to understand her better. Even if no one valued them, she was satisfied just having them made. Because she expressed her love for her people through her works.

If I had built a silversmithery rather than a golden stage, I could have adorned you with ornaments.

Hey, so, funny story about that...

I then go hit Level E like always.

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

Your stoicism is tedious. If you are hiding emotions with your silence, then perhaps you have regrets?

Hey, we're almost there.

Never fear. I understand that silence is more powerful than a thousand words.

Music: Duel - Friend Turned Foe

Video: Week 6 Elimination Battle (Saber ver.)

Ah, you're a reasonable tyrant. Emperium's such a flashy name though.

While waiting for the Golden Theater to come up, I figure...

Why not treat Extra with a bit of respect for once?

Do not treat Extra with respect.

It does not deserve it.

Thankfully, that was the last turn I needed.

:getin:

Was popping an Elixer overkill? Yes, extremely.

Sure was fun, though.

Next time: The beginning of the end.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 11, 2022

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BisbyWorl posted:

Update LXXXVIII - Funny clothes

Lancer ga shinda!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The Holy Church tragically censored this legend in the interim years, if the statues in Extella are anything to go by.

Yes I know, probably supposed to be a rear-naked choke.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Skill spam sure is the way to go.

W.T. Fits posted:

Lancer ga shinda!

Kono hito de nashi!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

And that's Nero's playthrough 100% recorded! :toot:

I just have one more full run to go.

Of Fate/Extra.

:shepicide:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

BisbyWorl posted:

And that's Nero's playthrough 100% recorded! :toot:

I just have one more full run to go.

Of Fate/Extra.

:shepicide:

Your efforts are greatly appreciated; I've only seen the original Fate/Stay Night and the gameplay on this looks WAY too obnoxious (though Saber smashing all life before her now is funny as hell to watch) for me to mess with myself, so I'm glad someone else is showing it off for me.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
There's a reason the remake is ditching the old gameplay entirely and turning it into a deckbuilder.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LXXXIX - Saber acting strange

This update covers the events of Update LXII to LXIV.

Music: Duel of Fate

Hi Leo.

Seldom is such a person born who can bring the people of the world such joy, and such wickedness.

If only... But no. I do not like him. I like you better. A king is capable and well-suited to leadership. What would become of things if this boy was king?

He is but a deus ex machina, arising from the stage unbidden and unwelcomed by his people.

That's exactly right.

...And that understanding is also beautiful. I am glad I have fought for such a Master.

~

Takes a despot to know a despot.

—Well now. That was below the belt. I pride myself on my just ideals. ...However, it seems the path I took was not righteous. I sought to be an emperor, but I stand by my last words—though I feel ashamed of them sometimes.

...What's with that face? Am I not young, and easily swayed by diversions from righteousness?

~~

You have trudged through bloodshed and sorrow to reach this point. Although you still lack much—

It is your love for life, which propels you through triumph and despair, that is most beautiful.

And then, Saber quietly disappears. Right... This is the last time Saber and I will fight side by side. This woman truly is my saber, a blade that cuts down any hardship that I face. Saber would probably just get angry if I said that, telling me not to thank her for every little thing. So, instead of thanking Saber, I'll show her that I'm ready and willing for this fight. She will appreciate that most of all.

And, I will respond. No matter how strong our opponent, I will knock him from his high horse!

Nero's generic lines for the week.

And a chat by the Arena.

For some reason, as I gaze out the window at the digital sky, Saber chooses to appear. A swordsman exquisitely ensconced in a red ballroom dress... A tyrant protective of all life's beauty. A young woman who gloriously rends life from flesh... More arrogant, more radiant than any other. ...Yeah, I see. I can walk down a different path.

I am inclined to humor any request you have at the moment, if it is within reason.

I smile unwittingly at Saber. Always so prideful. I want to protect her smile, even though she is the one who always defends me.

F-Fool, do not make such a strange face! You almost...inadvertently made me do the same! Why, it was near sabotage. Had Leo attacked us this moment, we would have been caught unaware. Only show that expression in the safety of our room, Master. It is wasted in a place like this.

:kimchi:

Still flustered and visibly angry, Saber disappears. She's the same irrational, charming despot as ever. I shouldn't be thinking this, but this past week has been enjoyable because I've been with Saber. But still the hour of battle draws ever closer. The final battle. No matter how the Holy Grail War ends, I'll be parted from her.

First up this week is Julius.

Saber seems really on edge. But they're right; this feeling isn't coming from either Leo or Gawain. In fact, I'm almost sure that I've felt this feeling of hatred before. But, how is it—?

...I think I understand now. I doubt there are two people capable of radiating such lethal malice. I'm not sure what kind of trick this might be, but you should prepare yourself, Praetor.

Hate gate 1.

Hate gate 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Hate Gate III Code: VFD.

Gain a level off a Nephilim.

And hate gate IV: The Quest for Peace.

Master, I cannot ignore anything that poses a threat to you. Just give the command and I will take him down and make sure he stays dead this time.

Hi, Julius.

Music: Duel - Kill Or Be Killed

My Servant mumbled mysteriously under her breath.

...I see what he did. That's not his arm. He stole another Master's arm and attached it to himself.

Julius must've ambushed a great number of Masters and killed them. He somehow managed to preserve one of his victim's arms and appropriate their Command Seal. I wonder which Master's arm he stole. What if that arm belonged to the Master of Berserker?

It seems that Servant also belongs to the Berserker class. A Servant belonging to two classes? Intriguing.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bye, Julius.

In fact, I am more unnerved that we have not yet encountered our opponent in the Arena. I don't believe that princeling would plot anything nefarious, but one can never be too cautious.

Music: School II

Regardless of his history or his purpose, he was nothing more than a cold-blooded killer. In fact, he himself insisted on being seen as such. That is all I have to say. Just remember that such a person once existed.

...That may be true. Just like Saber says, Julius's life was his own. I can't take responsibility for how he led it.

Talk to Rani.

Get ever so closer to maxing out Strength.

And start that one-off thing with the SE.RA.PH for today.

I'm flabbergasted by Saber's meek pose. Her furrowed brow makes it clear something is bothering her.

Although Saber seems to be back to normal, it's obvious that her bravado is slightly forced. If there is something bothering her, maybe I can help. Looking at her, I ask...

Is something troubling you?

With a small gasp, Saber becomes almost immediately wide-eyed and frazzled at my question.

B-But...I-I mean... I don't understand these feelings. They are beyond my experience!

~

Could it be that... you're hungry?

I understand that food is life... for you. But remember who and what I am. Do not mock me so!

~~

Saber takes a deep breath in an attempt to regain her composure and then turns to face me.

...Without reason, my thoughts become unfocused and wander. What could cause such an affliction?

Saber's head droops almost as if in defeat. Is what's bothering her really that serious?

Normal heroes— I mean, the situation for Servants called in reality are slightly different. For us of the Moon Cell, there are conditions and obligations attached to our existence. Every Servant created in the SE.RA.PH is required to protect the Moon Cell at any cost. ...Even if it means the death of my Master. But...I cannot bring myself to obey this command...

Saber delivers this last line in a mumble. I find her child-like embarrassment incredibly cute.

I wisely decide to hold my tongue. As is often said, silence is often the curse of wisdom. Saber raises her head, a renewed passion for our struggle burning in her eyes.

I am angry at myself. I fear my flaws will adversely affect your success in the coming battles. No, I will not allow my weakness affect you, Master. Please forget that I said anything.

With that final line, delivered in a somewhat unsteady tone, Saber cuts off the conversation. Although she's made clear that I'm to "forget it," it's not going to be that easy to... The uneasiness in herself that Saber can't identify... I want to help, but I'm not sure how.

Now to defy the SE.RA.PH with no long lasting consequences.

Saber suddenly cuts off what she was about to say and retreats into silence again. Her eyebrows slowly begin to furrow for some reason. It's almost as [sic] Saber's normally tempestuous mood has somehow gotten even worse.

There is no need for you to make my burdens your own! Rather, your inclusion will only make things worse! So, please speak no more about it! If you care at all about me, forget all that I have said before!

Although the heat in Saber's voice was immediately apparent, there was nothing threatening in her words. The only way I can possibly respond to that as a Master is to say—

Do you believe me so unreliable?

The thought of what would befall you should I die before the Elimination Battle makes my hands shake!

~

Share your soul with me, Saber!

Wha—?! H-How dare you be so forward! Even one such as I would have shown a bit more restraint...! Are you a puppy?! Or are you a wolf in sheep's clothing?! Gah! I care about you a great deal, either way!

~~

U-Uh...um... What exactly does she mean by that...exactly...? Taking her words for what they are, it seems as if Saber, in her own fashion, actually likes me somewhat. I'm happy, reassured even, to know how she feels about me. I hardly see how that can be a problem, but—

But that would violate the terms under which I serve. The Moon Cell would not accept such a Servant. ...More accurately, it would make an effort to eliminate the Master of such a Servant. Knowing the consequences, I have no idea as to how I should conduct myself in this situation.

'An' effort. Just the one.

I just couldn't come out and tell you that I have failed as your Servant.

Saber looks down in shame. Servants are required to balance their Master's needs with those of the Moon Cell. Saber is apologizing for upsetting that balance. That is-

That means I've failed as a Master.

Just like with Tamamo, both choices here give the same result.

That's right. I'm a failure because I couldn't give a drat about the Moon Cell. If I were forced to choose between the Holy Grail and Saber, I would pick Saber without hesitation. As my constant companion throughout the war, she means more to me than anything or anyone. ...I'm not even really alive. I'm just a bit of random data, but Saber accepted me without question. There is only one thing of value I've received through this series of "life" and death battles— And that is the bond I share with Saber. Before her, I had nothing. For that bond I have genuine gratitude.

The connection that we share cannot be described with any other word but "bond."

Saber smiles in contentment and nods her head sagely. Her normal gloriously imperial expression returns as well. There is no trace of the despondency she felt earlier on her face. But before we could enjoy the moment...

Music: Stops

—What in the hell is that? An ominous figure approaches us. It feels as if its only purpose is to eliminate us both.

I was curious as to how they'd choose to eliminate us, but sending a part of itself? That was unexpected... However— May I be brutally honest with you, Master?

I will send anyone brazen enough to attempt to thwart my love into the fiery crucible of the sun itself!

Boop.

Next time: We finish off Nero's Matrix.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XC - Question for Saber

This update covers the events of Update LXV to LXVI.

And almost as if it was never there, the program sent to kill us vanishes. The bond that we share...even if it's against the rules, I will not allow it to be destroyed.

Saber thrusts out her chest proudly, looking more beautiful and steadfast than ever before. ...Unfortunately, her arrogance seems to have increased a hundredfold as well.

She's right. Even as we speak, Leo may have already taken possession of the Holy Grail. What we've faced just now was only one of many obstacles. We haven't even gone beyond the first floor yet. But one thing I can say for certain, what I now have with Saber is more precious to me than any treasure.

Do you plan on continuing your exploration of the Arena? Be sure to not to let your guard down, Master.

And a level before I leave.

Every Servant's Level E Matrix unlocks today. All Nero needs is just to keep up with her yellow chats, as Week 6 ends with her promising that she'll answer any question next time.

...That's right. This is the last calm before the storm, and the last time we can talk together. In that case, I want to know more about the life that led to her becoming a Heroic Spirit.

Yes, I promised to tell you. It is a long story, so bear with me.

Don't be so stiff! Never fear, the tale of my sordid life will not bore you.

Saber gives a small smile, and launches into her story. This is the story of the birth and death of the infamous Emperor Nero.

Music: Ending

The first turning point of her life was with her mother's debauchery. Nero's twice-widowed mother married the emperor, her uncle, in order to make her child the next emperor. In an extreme measure, she murdered the fourth Roman emperor, Claudius, and Nero ascended to the throne.

Nero decided to take issue with the depraved government and the privileged senate. History records she was a tyrant who led Rome to decay, and she was, but it neglects to list her reforms. After claiming the throne, Nero gave out money to all citizens in celebration. She then abolished all indirect taxes. When the senate attempted to thank her, she refused, telling them they could do so when she had earned it. What terrible irony it is that her humility would be overshadowed. The path to her reforms was rife with thorns. Conflicts with the senate erupted over the unification of the Roman Empire's troublesome provinces. On top of that, her conflicts with her mother Agrippina became more pronounced. Nero's mother Agrippina, only saw her as a tool to become the mother of the emperor.

It was 59 A.D— The year Nero's reputation as a tyrant was cemented.

I suffered chronic hysteria from constantly using a silver cup, but it was not as bad as they say. I had been poisoned as a child, so as not to defy my mother. I was given the antidote in tandem. My mother took the antidote with her to the grave, and so I lapsed into a fevered delirium.

...Saber speaks indifferently about a childhood filled with poison and lies, and her struggles as emperor.

...And then, she drove her sole mentor, the philosopher Seneca, to suicide. Thanks to her own selfish actions, Nero had become a monster to her relatives, while she boasted of popularity with the masses.

He was a fatherly sort of man in general. Over and over, I told him I would forgive him. However, he ended his life in my house, disbelieving my words. ...I am guessing on what Seneca thought. Historical fact would be more accurate. Next came the Great Fire of Rome. You should know this story already, Master, so I will omit it. ...Hmm? Then I suppose all that remains would be my last moments.

Perhaps I still trusted Vindex, who incited the rebellion. More likely, I was in despair, and wished for everything to go away. Vindex would remain opposed to me, and two years later, he incited another rebellion. The senate drove me off the throne, and called me a traitor. I had devoted myself to the people. They liked my policies, after all. Trusting them was my greatest error. I thought that the people would not consent to my abdication. However, they said nothing. Nothing. There was no uproar. And then—

I cannot kill myself. I do not want to die. I have done nothing wrong. Over and over, she muttered that. ...Finally, after much hesitation, she declared she could run no more, and cut down her own life.

Did she grieve her own setting sun? Did she despise the rebellions? Or— Did she curse the Roman people for abandoning her, after she had devoted so much to them?

...Hmm, it was my greatest error to love them in a way that they could not understand.

Love...? So, she did love her people, but what couldn't they understand?

...Yes, it seems my love took a different form than theirs. My heart glowed with love grander than that of my people. My love was selfish. When I gave it, I expected something in return. Something beautiful. When I loved, I wished to be responded to with the flame of entire souls. But, the love the masses embraced was something much more tender. I did not see that.

...No, I recognized it. But, then what they called love was foreign and incomprehensible.

...Knowing her, I at least have a vague understanding how her love and the people's love differed. Her love burnt out offering and devoting everything. Her passion burned brightly, without regard to permanence. Nero loved her citizens as she thought was right. But, the love her citizens proffered was different, and the difference invited Nero's fall.

I regret that I could not share in the love that the masses embraced so naturally.

...Saber gazes out the window, a faraway look in her eyes. Perhaps she was thinking of the red sky and setting sun she saw in her last moments. If she couldn't share their love, then she must have been alone. ...While this woman could love more than any other person, she could not experience the joy of being loved. Her lavish expressions of love were not enough to satisfy her people. In the end, unloved, she tried to push the dagger into her own throat again and again—

But, death is frightening! It hurts! I won't have it happen again, and you should not suffer it!

...I sense a lie. I don't think pure fear of death dictated this woman's hesitations. She struggled because she didn't want to die, didn't think she had done any wrong, but really , she didn't want to disappear because...

That was it. She couldn't bear the thought of dying without anyone loving her.

What a good life it was, perhaps better for the deviations. My soul burned brightly, if nothing else.

...Fond reminiscence plays across her features. She has made some peace with a life filled with betrayal, suffering, conflict and misunderstandings. ...If I were a knight, I would genuflect and kiss her hand. All that stuff about magic circuits and sword techniques aside, this woman is a truly a Heroic Spirit. It's impossible not to deeply admire such a person for making peace with a soiled life.

? Why are you nodding to yourself? Have you stumbled upon some manner of worthwhile thought?

Of course. All this time, I've been protected by her strength, but one day, I wish to become her equal. I want that more than anything.

:toot:

Nero's Level E just nets us one final skill.

Royal Prerogative (EX) posted:

In response to the demands of a Master, skills that would otherwise be impossible to perform can be used for a short period of time. Some of the skills that can be acquired through this ability include those related to riding, weapons mastery, fine arts, military strategy, and diplomacy. Should an A rank be achieved, more esoteric skills become obtainable.

Better known under its retranslated name: Imperial Privilege.

It isn't mentioned in-game, but this skill is the reason Nero's a Saber to begin with. Extra was still early enough in Fate's history that Servants needed sky high stats to be a Saber, and Sabers are the strongest class, so Nero just used this to brute force her way into the class as there's no way she of all people couldn't be one.

Talk to Rani.

More Strength.

Talk to Leo.

And into the Arena.

A sea that glistens gold under the tender touch of a brilliant sunset— A stage fit for crowning a king.

Off to the midpoint of the floor.

I can sense that Leo has entered the Arena as well. His aura isn't malevolent like Julius's or sharp like Rin's. The pure, unclouded flow of his magic makes me think of the sun shining in a clear blue sky.

Isn't it reckless to head into battle? Still, it will help to see Gawain in action.

Yes, my lord!

He is the stronger knight. I pray the Fates are on my side!

—There he is. When we reach where a passageway empties into an open space, Leo appears at the other end. I exchange a quick glance with Saber before we jump out in front of Leo. To his credit, Leo doesn't react, other than smiling like he just ran into a friend.

Nice to meet you, Saber. I look forward to fighting you from the bottom of my heart.

Your speech knows no humility. Contrary to your boastful words, your sword will not reach my king. As long as my lord lives, this holy sword cannot break.

Hmm, despite a good chunk of dialogue being the same, the scene plays out a bit differently between Servants. Tamamo had some more words with Leo.

When I am drunk, I boast of myself, but you are dead drunk on servitude. Do you not realize this?

Truly, he is a knight imbued with the power of Helios. That was no falsehood...

I swear there must be a trick behind it. We must find out—or the upcoming Elimination Battle will be short. What? Four days remain. You have overcome greater obstacles, so why not this as well?

Next time: We deal with Leo.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 21, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly Nero is so good in this game that I can't imagine how she got ruined in later games like people have said in this thread. I love her backstory here and how she took her betrayal and death.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Flanderization mostly. Playing up the silly/memeable parts of her characterization rather than the more interesting elements. Also the chapter of FGO where she featured heavy was literally the worst written thing in the entire game.

Benstar
Aug 3, 2008
Part of it is that Extella, her chapter in Grand Order and Last Encore all came out within about a two year time period, all of them starring her, at best controversial in terms of quality, and don't really focus much on the interesting backstory.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Benstar posted:

Part of it is that Extella, her chapter in Grand Order and Last Encore all came out within about a two year time period, all of them starring her, at best controversial in terms of quality, and don't really focus much on the interesting backstory.

Not to mention any FGO event starring her turned her into a 4th wall breaking cartoon character who constantly mugs the camera.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Sounds to me like the follow-up writers completely missed the point of why people liked Nero. In here, she's a decently serious character with some incredibly goofy aspects that flesh her out. No one is dignified 100% of the time, despite the impression Nero would like to present, and it's funny to see how it works out for her. She keeps regal bearing while saying some really silly poo poo at times, and it's great.

What I'm hearing from her in FGO seems to not remotely keep the balance in any way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Asimo posted:

Flanderization mostly. Playing up the silly/memeable parts of her characterization rather than the more interesting elements. Also the chapter of FGO where she featured heavy was literally the worst written thing in the entire game.

I liked her being sweet and earnest in fgo’s chapter.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Basically, Extra Nero is a complex character with a few goofy bits that presents a bit more of a nuanced and slightly tragic take on a historical figure that is almost always depicted as an insane, unrepentant monster in other media.

Post-Extra Nero is "All of the Memes, None of the Themes."

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Another big issue with her is how the people relating to her are written. The other Roman emperors constantly heap praise on her and treat her like she's the best emperor ever, to the point that Romulus' first interlude is more about her than him, while Boudica is painted as being wrong and absurd on the rare moments she's actually allowed to hold a grudge against Nero.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Another big issue with her is how the people relating to her are written. The other Roman emperors constantly heap praise on her and treat her like she's the best emperor ever, to the point that Romulus' first interlude is more about her than him, while Boudica is painted as being wrong and absurd on the rare moments she's actually allowed to hold a grudge against Nero.

Yeah the Roman chapter, aside from being needlessly over long is basically a Nero fanfic, I think even the scenario writer admitted to it since that was a stall tactic they needed to use since they only had three chapters ready at launch. They did make up for it with both Oceanus and London though.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

serefin99 posted:

...while Boudica is painted as being wrong and absurd on the rare moments she's actually allowed to hold a grudge against Nero.

Which is frankly absurd. The stars aligned and the Gods gifted the writers the perfect foil to your protagonist and they hosed it up. Like, Boudicca and Nero's blades clashing should be the iconic FGO image, their relationship should be the thing everyone says is so awesome about it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XCI - So, it's strong

This update covers the events of Update LXVII to LXIX.

Instead, you should speak to me. It is boring to be left alone. Inappropriate as it is for me to say, have not all your opponents up to now been greater than you? Yet, with tenacious persistence, you were able to overcome them! Why should you cower now? You are not alone. I am your companion, as is Rani. You can overcome any blows, as I will suffer those blows with you.

...That's right. Not a single fight has been easy. I just need to do the same thing one more time. Just once more. I shouldn't worry, because I have Rani as my ally.

Talk to Rani to start the next leg of the week.

Check the Multimedia Room.

Julius has barred the way so that no other may enter. Even in death he confounds our plans!

And off to grab the feather.

I'm sure that it will have a number of his thoughts and memories embedded in it.

Done.

Talk to Rani.

See Leo.

And back in we go.

Gain a level.

It is nothing. It just reminds me of the sunset I saw in my last moments.

Talk with Nero.

...Praetor. As long as I am by your side, you will never meet such an end. And whenever your end does arrive, I wish for you to know no more than the feeling of peaceful slumber.

Another talk with Nero.

And Leo.

Your Servant only chimes in after this choice. Refusing Leo leads to:

Whatever sort of holy sword you have, I will show you how your boastful chivalry mishandles it.

Words cannot substitute for the truths in our swords. I will judge your loyalty!

While agreeing with Leo gets you:

However, his vision is dismal! He would have his people be as wretchedly stagnant as corpses. Struggle makes life beautiful— From the moment of birth, we fight to survive and grow.

Then after Hakuno refuses Leo:

You are wise, Praetor. We must give that youngster a bit of a scolding. With a king like that, no matter how his nation flourishes, it will be no more than a paradise for zombies!

And now everything links up.

Allow me a bit of entertainment. Besides, that pretentious knight needs a little chastising!

Hmph, you have nothing but your foolishness to blame.

Saber puffs out her chest in pride as she goads him.

So, this is the last cipher key. Praetor, I am so moved by our efforts I could burst into song! In the Coliseum, we shall sing a dirge for that miniature emperor— No, for the sun itself!

And that's every trigger for this playthrough.

I gain one more level.

And leave.

Are you sure you haven't forgotten to glean the cipher keys or perform an Alteration of the Soul?

Hearing familiar words from my Servant calms me. I'd really like to save myself the embarrassment of losing by default in the finals. Just in case, I should check the cipher key display on my terminal. Also, I need to finish all my other preparations today. Visiting the commissary, performing an Alteration of the Soul, training in the Arena—it's all necessary. I should do everything I need to. I can't be too careful, either.

Go say hi to Rani and Leo.

Get the last room decoration.

The room at the start, for comparison.

Cash in that 6 SP.

In.

Gain one last level before Leo.

Out.

Much has happened since you chose me as your Servant, when I think back on it. —It was wonderful. Marvelous. Our story has a magnificent arc to it, one that my former self would adore. No! What gloomy talk! I cannot abide by it! Let us focus on the grand finale! Tomorrow, I will swing my sword in a blaze of glory for you! Let us present a grand finale that will dazzle all who see! Command me passionately until I am spent!

We're just a bit off from maxing Strength...

And off to go fight Leo.

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

Thankfully, despite Leo having the largest pre-fight conversation, this is the only choice that has your Servant chime in.

Though we're both Sabers, I'm way out of that watchdog's league.

Petitioning my opponent for their agreement at the moment would only reflect poorly on your reputation.

Hey, guard dog. Can you not speak unless your Master allows you to?

No. I simply have no need to speak, red-clad tyrant. I belong mind, body and soul to my Master. Therefore, my Master's words are the same as mine would be.

Answer me this. If your Master ordered you to slay a dear friend, would you obey that command?

Without question. I would do any sort of thing my Master commanded, no matter how disgraceful. I fully trust my Master to steer my sword true. In your example, my friend would have done something to deserve my blade.

Hmnm! Fascinating. You've piqued my interest. Please, continue your nonsense.

I could not be pressed into the task even with the use of a Command Seal.

But listen, knight of the sun. It's pointless to direct that question at me.

Why is that?

You've deluded yourself. Hoping to see your desires carried out by your Master is nothing but disloyalty.

I'm enjoying being used as a knight, though my true rank is far higher.

Does that make you one of those avaricious swine who value fortune over loyalty?

...Well, your sense of loyalty is twisted. Allow me to straighten it for you on the battlefield.

Music: Duel - Kill Or Be Killed

Although I'm afraid I'll miss you, I have to keep going. This is it, Gawain. Utilize your sword's full capacity, for me.

I have waited for those words. My body will be your blade, and I will cut a path to the throne for you!

Because, the boy you call Master is far from being a true king.

You two are too innocent to win.

I pity you, hopeful heir, for you have never known defeat. Having never felt pain, your emotions are fragile and untested. If you were to suffer defeat, you would be devastated—

While Tamamo dances around what Leo was lacking, Nero goes right for the throat.

You see only "the perfect king." Unless you also support his politics, you're nothing but a faithful dog.

A knight is the sword of his lord, and perishes with him at the end of his time. You can't be taking issue with that. I've devoted my being to my Master. Any knight who would give less than that has impure motives.

Honorable as it may be to perish alongside your Master, risking your life blindly is suicide. Knight of the Sun, your righteousness prevented you from correcting your Master. A fatal mistake.

Therefore, no matter who I serve, as long as I stay true to myself, I see nothing wrong!

Rainbows shine because they are illuminated by the sun.

Perfect king, faithful sword. Let us see your limits!

Video: Week 7 Elimination Battle (Saber ver.)

Well said, king-in-training! My sword will tell if there's truly a sun that will never set!

We're playing as Nero, with a strategy that's been effectively unchanged throughout the entire game.

Take a guess how the fight turns out.

The only thing to watch out for is that Excalibur Galatine also ignores Guard, just like our own NP.

Bye, Leo.

Next time: The answer to an age old question.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

BisbyWorl posted:

Next time: The answer to an age old question.

I never managed to really make proper headway on this myself, so this'll be interesting to see.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Gawain posted:

Ah, yes, the line that sparked lots of discussion and foreshadowing. Who could have known a little trash talk could have spawned a badly balanced P2W arcade game? :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XCII - Overlooking View

This update covers the events of Update LXX to LXXII.

Today, we finish Nero's playthrough.

Music: Deathly Silent

I shall miss this place, even this room, but it can't be helped.

Life is a series of hellos and goodbyes. I reconmend you make your final goodbyes now.

Turns out that Tamamo's room chat for today wasn't a fluke, Nero's is unvoiced as well. Were they added in at the last second, perhaps?

I go talk to Kotomine to open up the Arena...

...But there's something new here this time.

The only words I can think of to describe it is "yet to be determined?" Also, stay away from the Arena! It's too dangerous and you'll just get yourself killed. Maybe. I'm going home now, so good luck! And kudos for making it this far. Nice meeting you, Hakuno.

As I mentioned a long time ago, the requirement for fighting Extra's bonus boss is to complete all of Taiga's requests on NG+.

So let's go see who it is.

Sound: Electronic screeching

If it is a haunting, it's a major one. It's like the air is whining because something's warping it.

Though we have won the Holy Grail War, traps may yet await us. Be on your guard!

Fear continues to play throughout the floor, but the center room only has the usual enemies.

No, our foe is waiting down by the exit portal.

That outfit looks familiar...

Is it human? Could a human even give off such a threatening aura? My instincts halt me, buzzing around my head like a swarm of frantic insects.

In another bit of tying together narrative and gameplay, running away is the default option here.

It is a very wise option.

Head back.

But that's incredibly boring so-

~

Keep going anyway.

Outside the path stands a woman in a long Japanese dress. —Is that a Servant? But there shouldn't be any Servants besides Saber left, now that we've defeated Leo... Could she be the bizarre thing that Tiger supposedly called forth...?

That's right. If Arcuied as a mid-game boss wasn't bad enough, we get to fight Shiki Ryougi. She of the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception herself.

Since there's not a chance in hell that I'm doing a fourth playthrough just to grab Tamamo's version of this, I'll just grab her lines from elsewhere.

Tamamo route posted:

Are you some kind of highway robber?

Just so you know, it's nothing personal. I just need to kill you.

What...? If you do not even consider a Master your enemy, then can it be you only wish to kill ME?

Tamamo route posted:

H-How animalistic! Tamamo actually understands a little bit... But you want my head?!

I don't like this place. Killing you, spirit, will free me from this nightmare.

Tamamo route posted:

Hey, a bad dream is no reason to go around killing people! Fine, en garde!

Music: Infinite Chimeric Lunar SeaMonster - She Who Sees Death

Surprisingly, Shiki gets a custom battlefield, plus an entirely unique camera angle for the opening.

There's an end even to eternity, red one. I'll end your Golden Theater's performance!

Tamamo route posted:

I won't lose to someone who's Japanese! I'll blast you to the end of the sky!

Hmm, think you can do it? An inexperienced fox with only one golden fur tail?

Now, before we actually do this, I want to break this fight down.

And for that, I'll need cheats.

First off is Twin Towers, which Shiki will always use as her first action in the battle, and will periodically use after that.

Even with Nero Guarding, it dealt half her health in one shot. If Nero doesn't keep Thrice Setting Sun up at all times, (or if you aren't like me and actually invested in Defense) she can just get deleted by this move if it lands cleanly.

Her normals are just as terrifying, easily dealing 1K damage a hit.

As you might imagine, doing this as the incredibly fragile Tamamo would be absolute hell.

Good thing you all voted to use her on the one playthrough I can't do this fight, chumps! :v:

All that is trivial, however, compared to her real trick:

Shiki has a quartet of Skills with this animation, one for sealing Attack, Guard, Break, and Skills.

This seems managable at a glance, but there's just one teensy-tiny catch to them.

Namely: these Seals are permanent. recover() and Sakura's lunches cannot clear them, and they'll never time out. Shiki just uses her Mystic Eyes to kill your commands entirely.

Losing Attack or Break is bad, but you can push through that by using Skills over her Attacks and ignoring Guards. But if Guard or Skills get sealed? Just die, there's no way you'll be able to stay standing if you lose the ability to blunt her Skills, and gambling on Extra's core gameplay will get you killed as soon as you lose that 2/3 chance.

She has Decrease Vigor for Break.

Suspending Esoterica for Skills.

And Barrier Break for Guard.

And when Attack, Break, and Guard are all sealed...

...She breaks out her finishing move.

This was actually a massive pain to set up, as there isn't a 100% chance of a seal landing, plus Shiki won't change her patterns based on what you have sealed so she'll happily try to seal an already sealed move.

So, can Shiki kill a Servant?

The answer is yes, but it depends on which Shiki you're talking about.

Shiki even kills you harder than Savior did. At least he gave a Retry prompt after. Losing to Shiki just instantly kicks you to a Dead End.

The woman says something, but I don't hear it— My Servant and I are one being. If my Servant is defeated, then I'll share the same fate—

Video: Battle Against Shiki (Saber ver.)
Music: Monster - She Who Sees Death

Alright, serious fight time.

By which I mean the usual strategy.

Come on, this is Fate/Extra! Were you expecting some kind of tactical brilliance at the 11th hour?

Of course, just blitzing her down doesn't work here, what with her 65,535 HP and all!

That's close to double what Savior has!

And as an extra kick in the pants if you bring Tamamo into this, Shiki resists all the stuns on her Curses, not just the low chance of Chaos Heaven. That means that the only time she can safely set up Merciful Sky or leech some MP is when you see a Guard on the turn preview, massively cutting down on her damage output and sustain.

The plan here is simple: Spam as many Skills as possible to kill Shiki fast enough so she doesn't have a chance to land a Skill seal, while slinging Elixirs to keep me going.

Even with Nero specced entirely into Strength, two turns spent draining her MP only cuts one third off Shiki's HP.

Shiki goes for a Guard seal on turn 3, but doesn't manage to land it.

Then Nero's NP comes up.

Music: Saber - Everything Is In Her Hands

Even Shiki's ludicrously bloated HP count can't stand up to Nero running at full steam.

And with the defense buff from the Golden Theater, Twin Towers wouldn't be able to kill even on a clean hit.

And with one more mp_heal-

Shiki falls.

And as a reward, the last Mystic Code in the game.

...Hmph. That was a decent effort, lady killer. But thanks for setting me free. I'd be happy to do battle with someone as powerful as you again.

Female Hakuno gets called 'silly girl' in this line.

And then she gets the most basic fade-out in existance. Not even some cheap particle effects or anything.

Farewell, Shiki Ryougi.

Tamamo route posted:

Wheeeew! I'm pooped... Fighting Aramitama was hard- Oh, she's the dark side of the moon.

And that's it.

Since there's no good place for it, I'll just throw all of Shiki's lines here:

Battle start

What a dangerous tale...

Command Select

What's wrong? Giving up? (High health)

~

This isn't going very well... (Low health)

~

I invite you to the Riverbed of the Underworld. (NP ready)

~

Ha, you're quite durable. The hell do you eat to get like that, huh?! (NP survived, unused in gameplay)

~

Let's go! (Commands confirmed)

~

I'll finish you off! (Commands confirmed)

Attacks

Back at ya! (Counter)

~

I'll tear my way in! (Break)

~

Fall. (Enemy Extra attack)

Hit reactions

You! (Damaged)

~

Ugh, you're annoying! (Player Extra turn)

~

You're really going for it, aren't you? (Consecutive Player Extra turn)

~

I'm surprised... Not bad. (Defeated)

Skills

This'll be fun... Twin Belfry! (Twin Towers)

~

There are no second chances. (Suspended Esoterica)

~

You're defending? I'll make you defenseless! (Barrier Break)

~

I'll kill that movement of yours! (Decrease Vigor)

~

Well then, I'll just destroy that weapon of yours! (Hero Slayer)

~

Farewell! If you're alive, even if you're a god, I'll kill you...! Boundary of the Void! (Boundary of the Void)

~

Death cannot stand before me! Boundary of the Void! (Boundary of the Void)

The Demon of Atlas Mystic Code we got was worth it, though. 120 MP is the biggest boost in the game that isn't tied to Servant gear, and add_invalid(); is straight up god mode for any attacks that aren't an instant game over.

Music: Deathly Silent

Shiki is pretty obviously the friend Touko was looking for, so does she have anything to say now that we've found her?

Hahahaha you loving wish.

I gotta.

I just gotta.

Is this enough?

poo poo.

As a bonus, the Nephilim here have a chance of dropping Elixirs, building up my stockpile again after I burned through most of them on Shiki.

Yes.

They have lines for that???

Like, keep in mind that I have invested in nothing but Strength all game, and I still had to go out of my way to grind at the last minute. If I put any focus on Defense over the course of the game I'd have to grind on Nephilim for ages to max out Strength.

What a bizarre thing to put effort into.

But with all that out of the way, we can finally go punch Twice in the face again.

Music: Infinite Chimeric Lunar Sea

Right after the corridor walk, of course.

Though we've only faced seven foes, each battle was unique in its own way. And though our opponents were all heroes taken from human history, with me as your companion, they obviously never stood a chance. Thinking about how inexperienced you were before brings a smile to my face. That innocent little chick has grown considerably since then. In the past, I only cared about myself and gave little thought to others. In my attempts to lead, I made many mistakes and destroyed many lives. But now, I am truly content. I am no longer ashamed to be your Servant.

There is still one thing that I find perplexing; your lack of desire. You claim to have no wish for the Holy Grail. I think that's a grave mistake. Regardless of whether your wish has merit, man is defined by his desires. You'd do well to follow my example. Even now, I enjoy life to its fullest. Also- Also, I get a great deal of pleasure from looking upon your smiling face. ...That is how much I've enjoyed the battles we have shared. For me, who has never been loved, our time together has been precious.

You, who mean the world to me, let's go! May you defeat all who oppose you!

I'm sorry, what was that, Nero?

Thankfully, Nero only chimes in after Hakuno gets their five choices of rebuttal to Twice's bullshit, so we can just skip over the majority of his cutscene.

Spilling the blood of others even as they shed their own, they prove their worth through their deeds.

That is the way humanity has always been, and will always be. It is utter stupidity to think that beauty only comes from a delusional sense of righteousness.

Saber speaks to Twice in her normal indifferent, slightly superior tone, but a slight edge starts creeping in.

But I do have one question I wish to ask of you. You claim to have been here for a long time. There must have been others who've come before us... What happened to all of the previous winners?

Good question. Now that I think about it, there should be some sign of those who came before me.

Twice looks meaningfully at the pillars in the surrounding area. —His answer couldn't be any clearer.

The pillars gathered together are their gravestones.

That fact alone is enough to make you an enemy of mine.

Saber draws her sword. Like her, I can't excuse his actions, even if it means becoming another stone pillar.

The scene then progresses like normal until Savior comes in.

Music: Savior - All Shall Become One

Now that I have someone to share my pain with, I know that we shall both blossom! As long as you're with me, there is no Servant more powerful than I! Enlightenment will not shield him!

You are not one to devote yourself wholly to violence and, like the man before us, incomplete when alone. While some may consider your need to reach out to others a weakness, I consider it your greatest strength.

Video: Battle Against Savior (Saber ver.)

All for my lovable hero!

I'll extinguish that passion here. The karmic weight of your sins as a tyrant will be your downfall. Your sword will break here.

With EX rank Strength, Nero's normals can now break four digit damage.

This seems like a good time to test out the Demon of Atlas.

Archer will certainly get some use out of this. Just keep in mind that while it negates all damage, enemy Skills still cancel your own Attack/Break, so no sneaking in a free hit.

We know how this will go, so let's just skip to the end.

Hilariously enough, Savior rolled a mono-Guard turn here.

When the Golden Theater and Blossom of the Court both ignore Guard.

:fuckoff:

Bye, Twice.

Music: Goodbye

I can hear my Servant mutter into my ear. They aren't there in person, but as a part of the Holy Grail. My guess is that my Servant had somehow slipped unseen into the Holy Grail the same time I entered.

...Don't act as if you just noticed me. It is your duty to be aware of my presence at all times, after all.

However, something doesn't feel right. With the war over, there is no reason for her to follow me here.

This is your final duty as a Master, correct? Then it is only natural that I am present at this time.

Especially since it seems as if this is a time when you are in need of my strength.

...So that's what she's doing. With the additional presence, the time the Moon Cell needs to finish the elimination process is increased. As is her way, she has come to aid her worthless Master one final time. However, a delay this long can't be the result of my Servant's presence. Something else must be going on. Since I'm connected to the Moon Cell, it shouldn't be too difficult to find out what's going on. In what seems to be only a heartbeat, the whole of my consciousness arrives as one long data file.

—? This...appears to be you. What does "cryogenic storage" mean?

We then get the bit with the Hakuno on Earth before the credits.

And there's Shiki's voice credit.

Then everything should work out fine. You are my Master. You know what needs to be done, correct?

And you do have my permission to visit me occasionally. Actually, come anytime you wish!

I'd be happy to see you again. It makes me happy to know our relationship won't be ending soon.

...It sounds like it would entail an incredible amount of effort, though. I sympathize with him for having such a burden. Though it's someone else's problem, it's my responsibility.

A few text boxes later and...

Next time: Archer is an rear end in a top hat.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 21, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Player Information Matrix - Saber (Final)

Aestus Domus Aurea: Golden Theater of the Deranged posted:

A theater based on the palace Nero had built after her original one burned to the ground. Called the Domus Aurea, it was a grand villa built upon the ruins of the homes of the aristocracy that once covered the famed Esquiline Hill.

Historical accounts paint Nero as somewhat delusional, and she herself has claimed that she was an artist and performer of such incredible gifts that only the god Apollo could match her skills. She would often perform for the masses, but those spectators would frequently leave midway through her performances. She was so enraged by this obvious act of disrespect that she would order all entrances to the theater in which she was performing to be sealed until the final curtain fell.

This Noble Phantasm is based on the highest and most difficult principles of thaumaturgy and superficially resembles a Reality Marble, though its effects are far more pronounced. It creates a reality in which ones imperial aspirations can be fully realized.

Aestus Estus: The Embryonic Flame posted:

The hand-crafted crimson sword wielded by Saber when summoned by a Master. The following inscription has been engraved on the blade: regnum cael orum et gehenna.

The Great Fire of Rome posted:

July 19 , 64 AD.
A devastating fire erupted in one of the poorer districts of Rome and quickly spread throughout the city, reducing most of it to ashes. Contrary to popular belief, Nero quickly responded to the disaster and even contributed to relief efforts out of her own personal funds. While she became immensely popular with the comnon citizenry, her populist policies combined with her sometimes bizarre predilections earned her the ire of not only the higher castes, but also of historians who insist on painting her as a tyrant.

Anti-Magic (C) posted:

Nullifies minor spells consisting of chants of two verses or less. Ineffective against high-level thaumaturgy and the greater rituals. As Saber herself has a negligible resistance to magic, the effectiveness of this skill is pathetically low, even by the normal standard of the Saber class.

Royal Prerogative (EX) posted:

In response to the demands of a Master, skills that would otherwise be impossible to perform can be used for a short period of time. Some of the skills that can be acquired through this ability include those related to riding, weapons mastery, fine arts, military strategy, and diplomacy. Should an A rank be achieved, more esoteric skills become obtainable.

Migraine (B) posted:

A curse that was inherited from her place of birth during her mortal life. As a result of the crushing headaches inflicted by this condition, the effectiveness of mental skills decreases considerably. Another side effect that seems to concern Saber most is the fact that it prevents her from demonstrating what she considers her divine talent for the performing arts.

Character Background posted:

Nero reigned as emperor during the years 54 to 68 AD. Although most surviving contemporary accounts paint her as a vicious tyrant who disregarded the Senate and violently oppressed the nascent Christian movement, many scholars believe that these accounts were an attempt to discredit her, as she was incredibly popular with the citizenry.

Whatever the case, her infamy is such that some theorize that the Book of Revelations found in the Vulgate Bible was written as commentary on and reaction to her supposed repression of the Christian faith, and have gone so far as to make the case that Hebrew pronunciation of her imperial name (Caesar) —NRVN QSR— is the same as the phrase ”Number of the Beast.” However, this has been proven to be patently false, as that term commonly referred to Rome itself, and not to any one individual, royal or otherwise.

Nero the Tyrant posted:

Taking the name Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus upon her ascension to the imperial throne, she was the fifth emperor of the Roman Empire and the last of the Julio-Claudian dynasty, who had ruled Rome since its inception.

The daughter of the cousin of the fourth emperor Claudius, she was put upon the throne at the age of seventeen as a result of the devious scheming and possible mariticide by her mother, Julia Augusta Agrippina. Once on the throne, she immediately began to demonstrate her talents at administration as well as her ability to navigate the often murky political situation inherent in Roman government.

In addition to the above, Nero was also generally acknowledged to be a consumnate diplomat who preferred discussion and compromise to warfare and conflict. She was held in especially high esteem by both the peoples of Britannia and the leaders of the nations of Persia, who continued to refer to Rome as the "country of Nero" long after her death.

While popular abroad and with the lower castes at home, the Senate and the higher caste members of the empire grew weary of her populist policies, extravagant expenditures on public entertainments, and occasionally irrational repression of religious expression. In the year 68 AD, a series of revolts drove Nero from the throne and eventually to suicide. It was said that in her final hours she continually expressed her anguish that an artist such as herself had to die, but as those who betrayed her closed in she quoted a line from Homer's Iliad ("Hark, now strikes on my ear the trampling of swift-footed coursers!") and then drove a dagger into her throat.

Combat lines:

Battle start

Praetor, your orders?

~

Well then, let us write poetry with our blows.

~

Muhu, such a beautyless face.

~

Let us begin, master.

~

Leave it to me! I'll easily make them submit. (True Name Revealed)

~

Seems the masses aren't enjoying our presence. (True Name Revealed)

~

Umu, go without hesitation. (True Name Revealed)

~

Be gone. The fallen have no right to be on the stage. (Effigy battle)

~~

Command Selection

Let's go, master! (Normal)

~

Not bad. Pretty good, actually. (High health)

~

Don't waver. Have some confidence. (High health)

~

You can count on me. (High health, True Name Revealed)

~

It's my time to shine! (High health, True Name Revealed)

~

Oh how precious you are. (High health, True Name Revealed)

~

Get up and try again. (Low health)

~

I'm starting to get bored. (Low health)

~

This is getting bad, Master. (Low health)

~

Don't make that face, believe in me. (Low health, True Name Revealed)

~

Sorry, I can't keep up... (Low health, True Name Revealed)

~

As long as I have you... (Low health, True Name Revealed)

~

Olympia plaudere! Open the gates! Raise the curtains for the star! (NP ready)

~

Praetor! My true name! (NP ready)

~

Let's dance to our hearts content. (Effigy battle)

~

Pay attention and see why information gathering is crucial! (Week 1 Day 4 vs Shinji)

~

Let's cut these fools down for good this time.

Well it's too bad, but I can't just let you guys do what you want.

Ha! We'll be the ones to end it! (Week 1 Elimination Battle)

~

Oh, you're fighting me fair-and-square? What's the deal, Archer?

My master's eccentric, that's all. Either way, this'll be fun!

Exactly, Archer. You can beat any Heroic Spirit with your power. (Week 2 Elimination Battle)

~

I know you want to be sympathetic, but this is a battle as well. Be prepared.

Aha, can you even do that, red princess?

Let's play more and more! (Week 3 Elimination Battle)

~

Do not falter! You may use a command seal! Do what you think is best! (Route split vs Lu Bu)

~

My bloodline and yours run afoul.

Silence. Let my spear send you to purgatory, you tyrannical devil! (Week 4 Elimination Battle, Rin route)

~

Let's beat this ancient monster, Master!

Ooh, my god looks pleased! Let heaven's thunder rain upon you! (Week 4 Elimination Battle, Rani route)

~

A formidable assassin... We'll stop your fiendish fists here!

What strong words, Saber. I'll enjoy this.

This play is over. Die like a dog. (Week 5 Elimination Battle)

~

Be careful! This isn't just a normal doll! (Week 6 effigy battle)

~

Champion, take up your spear. I'll answer your challenge in my Praetor's place.

AAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Urgh... (Week 6 Elimination Battle, Rin route)

~

My bitter enemy, take out your lance.

Ah, you're a reasonable tyrant. Emperium's such a flashy name though. (Week 6 Elimination Battle, Rani route)

~

This is my mercy to you. I'll overcome your persistence and skill this time for good.

AAAAAAAAAA! (Week 7, Day 1 vs Julius)

~

Please, do not hold back. Fight me without any regrets.

Well said, king in training! My sword will tell if there's truly a sun that will never set! (Week 7 Elimination Battle)

~

Praetor, my final victory for you is at hand. All rests on my sword. All for my lovable hero!

I'll extinguish that passion here. The karmic weight of your sins as a tyrant will be your downfall. Your sword will break here. (Final Battle)

~

A master of death is no problem. We'll fly past the grim reaper that waits for us all!

There's an end even to eternity, red one. I'll end your golden theater's performance here! (Bonus boss)

~~

Commands confirmed

Alright, let us begin.

~

Gaze upon me!

~

Great spirit.

~

Leave it to me!

~

We'll win this together!

~~

Normal attacks

~

How unelegant. (Guard)

~

Well then. (Guard)

~

I won't let you! (Guard)

~

Come try again! (Counter)

~

It's time to give up! (Counter)

~

How rude! (Counter)

~

How stubborn. (Break)

~

I'll crush you! (Break)

~

Don't move! (Break)

~

Splendid, Praetor! (Extra turn)

~

This is delightful! (Consecutive Extra turn)

~

Take this! (Extra attack)

~

I have you now! (Extra attack)

~~

Master support

I'll return your faith in me!

~

How thoughtful.

~

Keep going!

~

I won't miss this chance!

~~

Damaged

~

Don't test me!

~

Argh, did we misread them? (Enemy Extra turn)

~

Augh, so disappointing! (Consecutive Enemy Extra turn)

~

How foolish a mistake... (Defeated)

~

I'm sorry... Please live, master... (Defeated, True Name Revealed)

~~

Victory

~

You may leave now. (Normal)

~

And with that, I win. (Normal)

~

Your loyalty is commendable. (Normal)

~

How uninspiring. (Normal)

~

You fought bravely. (Normal, True Name Revealed)

~

Disappear with the wind. (Normal, True Name Revealed)

~

Umu, I approve. (Normal, True Name Revealed)

~

Applause for you! (High health)

~

What splendid commands you gave! (High health)

~

Splendid! Nothing less from my Praetor! (High health, True Name Revealed)

~

What, don't you have something to say to me? (Low health)

~

You were careless, Master. (Low health)

~

I showed you something unsightly... Please forgive me. (Low health, True Name Revealed)

~

You're responsible for what just happened too! (Low health, True Name Revealed)

~~

Skills

~

It's my turn. Veil of petals! (Veil of Petals)

~

Curtains, fall! Veil of petals! (Veil of Petals)

~

Wounds of the saint, burn! (Fount of the Saint)

~

Gather, fountain of flames! (Fount of the Saint)

~

Gather, fountain of snakes! (Fount of the Healer)

~

This dance of blades is for you! (Artillery/Thunderous Applause)

~

Well then, dance for me! (Artillery/Thunderous Applause)

~

Heavens, once more your blessing! (Thrice-setting Sun)

~

Muse's divine protection, protect the supreme arts! (Thrice-setting Sun)

~

Your loyalty is just! (Auto-revive)

~

Wounds of the saint, become my grief! (Fount of Chronos)

~

The sword of punishment is here! (Fount of Chronos)

~

Praetor, this sword is to serve you! (Blossom of the Court)

~

Regnum caelorum et gehenna. Rise, my glorious heaven! Show your supreme light! (Theater of the Deranged)

~

Behold my genius and listen to the thunderous applause... You may take a seat and cheer... at my Golden Theater! (Theater of the Deranged)

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 10, 2022

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

And now it's time for the inevitable F/SN history lesson the entirety of Archer's route is going to be. Because, really, what else are you going to talk about at this point?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Two down, one to go. That optional boss did not look fun at all but I guess there's no better moment to use all those Elixirs, and at least the reward is suitably overpowered.

All of Saber's lines to Twice were so badass. Such a cool tyrant. I'll miss her.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Considering what I've heard about the NP, I didn't think there would be a line for surviving it. I mean, you'd still presumably be hosed on the next turn considering the conditions for it happening, but still.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

A Bystander posted:

Considering what I've heard about the NP, I didn't think there would be a line for surviving it. I mean, you'd still presumably be hosed on the next turn considering the conditions for it happening, but still.

I did a bit more digging, and it turns out that while the line exists in the game's files, it doesn't get used. Boundary of the Void has priority over buff moves, so Nero can't just revive cheese her way through a turn.

As a bonus, the whole -DEATH- is purely for show, using an infinite HP cheat leaves it unable to kill you, but even then Shiki just reuses her NP line.

This has the side effect of making that white fade out become permanently active. :v:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Just as a tidbit Nero's mother, Julia Augusta Agrippina, IS a confirmed Heroic Spirit in the Throne of Heros and her class was confirmed to be Caster.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Materant posted:

And now it's time for the inevitable F/SN history lesson the entirety of Archer's route is going to be. Because, really, what else are you going to talk about at this point?

well, there was a boy, and he wanted to be a superhero, and,

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

BisbyWorl posted:

I did a bit more digging, and it turns out that while the line exists in the game's files, it doesn't get used. Boundary of the Void has priority over buff moves, so Nero can't just revive cheese her way through a turn.

As a bonus, the whole -DEATH- is purely for show, using an infinite HP cheat leaves it unable to kill you, but even then Shiki just reuses her NP line.

This has the side effect of making that white fade out become permanently active. :v:

Could you carry over the Demon of Atlas into a second NG+ and use add_invalid() to counter it, or does the priority timing not work out for that?

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

BisbyWorl posted:

Next time: Archer is an rear end in a top hat.

...thinking on it, before FGO came out there pretty much was only, what, only Chiron who was an Archer that wasn't a jackass? Kinda seemed to be the class's defining trait, almost.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Verant posted:

...thinking on it, before FGO came out there pretty much was only, what, only Chiron who was an Archer that wasn't a jackass? Kinda seemed to be the class's defining trait, almost.

Arash first appears in the light novel Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Sky Silver, basically the /Zero to /Prototype, which came out before FGO, and is a total sweetheart.

TheDavies fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 8, 2022

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

While I agree with the assessment, even he has his moments. Mostly, he really enjoys running his airline in Grand Order.
(He shoots his passengers on his arrows. Even certified madwoman Gudako finds that travel form too much)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Zyxyz posted:

Could you carry over the Demon of Atlas into a second NG+ and use add_invalid() to counter it, or does the priority timing not work out for that?

add_invalid only works for a single attack, so even if it did work the other five would still kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Well I decided to blitz through the entirety of Archer's playthrough just to get it out of the way so I never have to play Extra ever again.

I am exactly 8 hours, 47 minutes, and 9 seconds worth of footage away from properly finishing this LP.