Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't blame you for being tired of this game after so many playthroughs, I imagine this battle system gets tiring very quickly.

Anyways can't wait for the CCC playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This game really does feel like one which is just a bit short of being an actually good game. It's a pity.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Just from reading this thread I feel like it's more than "a bit short" of being a good game. The actual gameplay is the epitome of "interesting concept, horrible execution" where the only way to win is to exploit it and/or blatantly cheat. I guess in a way that's sorta the point since a lot of the boss fights seem like they're making their own rules too, but... it just doesn't work in a way that seems satisfying. Conceptually a game where mooks use a standard set of rules but the Servants just run roughshod over said rules with their own brands of BS could be very interesting and really sell how badass Servants and Heroic Spirits are supposed to be! Executing it in a way that made Servant duels feel satisfying would be a nightmare. I almost feel like that's what they were going for here.

Then there's numerous aspects of the game where it vacillates wildly between incredibly lazy and high attention to detail, with occasional weird nods to it's VN roots with dialogue choices that just End The Game (but never actually change much plot-wise other than the bare minimum).

Regardless, I've greatly enjoyed reading this LP!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Just from reading this thread I feel like it's more than "a bit short" of being a good game. The actual gameplay is the epitome of "interesting concept, horrible execution" where the only way to win is to exploit it and/or blatantly cheat. I guess in a way that's sorta the point since a lot of the boss fights seem like they're making their own rules too, but... it just doesn't work in a way that seems satisfying. Conceptually a game where mooks use a standard set of rules but the Servants just run roughshod over said rules with their own brands of BS could be very interesting and really sell how badass Servants and Heroic Spirits are supposed to be! Executing it in a way that made Servant duels feel satisfying would be a nightmare. I almost feel like that's what they were going for here.

They did exactly this by making it a Musou in Fate/Extella.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

IthilionTheBrave posted:

It would work better if the player was allowed to break the battle system in their own unique ways as well. Your Noble Phantasms get close to that, but they're hindered by only being a once per battle thing and not lasting for very long. Imagine if, for example, Tamamo's NP made your skills free every other turn for the rest of the battle, or maybe permanently having their cost after activation, or something like that?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Artix posted:

They did exactly this by making it a Musou in Fate/Extella.

Ugh I wish, the mooks take way too long to take down in Extella.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Ugh I wish, the mooks take way too long to take down in Extella.

Extella was bad, but Extella Link was a much better overall experience compared to its predecessor. You could easily wipe out entire fields and claim them without it being a tedious hell grind. But more important, the allied NPC generals were actually competent and didn't need you to spend entire missions babysitting them to keep them alive. Unless you got a random, "the enemy is specifically targeting and hunting down our ally, go protect them," event during a stage you could generally trust the NPC generals to take care of themselves and even occasionally complete objectives on their own.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update XCIII - No concern for safety

This update covers the events of Updates VI to VIII.

NEW GAME++

ARCHER.

BACK TO BEING A GIRL.

DIE.

Music: Fear

GET THE SAME SPEE-wait that's not what Hakuno said the last two times.

All of my senses grow faint. The pain running through my body has long passed my ability to endure it. I now know what the damned suffer.

Why does picking Archer give Hakuno an entirely different reaction?

The drive to go on is something I do not understand. It's not like the fear of death is urging me to not give up. I just want to be at peace. Keeping that in mind, why am I trying with all of my might to get back on my feet? I cannot figure out the reason why. I don't know why my life needs to be ended. Why am I here—?

-I understand now. That must be the reason why.

There were those many corpses. There were those many questions.

Now— I can't continue without knowing. No. Now that my spirit has been awakened, I cannot allow things to come to an end without knowing...!

Music: Stops

You question your own existence even as it comes to an end, and see your own shortcomings as death approaches.

Music: Battle - Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea

A nondescript Heroic Spirit fighting for a nameless Master. —I look forward to your valiant efforts in battle.

Hakuno doesn't even call Archer directly here, Kotomine takes pity on her and gives him to her!

Extra really does put effort in the most bizarre places.

Unlike Nero, who simply looked like Stay Night's Saber, Archer is the exact same guy.

And of course the first thing we see of Archer is his back. :v:

Showing self-restraint is difficult, regardless of one's age. I guess I'll just flounder around pointlessly.

...*Sigh* It pains me to acknowledge it, but since you're the only one here...

Now, with Tamamo and Nero this was a false choice that had them swiftly convince you to agree if you tried to say no.

But Archer?

No.

How fortunate for you. Now close your eyes again and your request will be fulfilled.

Straight up lets you die if you say no.

~

Yes.

As you might expect, the Fate/Stay Night Servant will be making constant callbacks to Fate/Stay Night.

But a contract is a contract. I'll lend you my power if you want and will fight for you until your wish ends. You were just shouting "Why?" a moment ago. There are very few people who know the answer to that question— —Well, it's not a bad wish, per se. I now pledge that I will fight by your side until your wish ceases to be.

Really, it's nothing to get worked up over. I'm not going to be at my best with a novice Master, though—

Stat-wise, Archer sits in between the extremes of Nero and Tamamo.

See? Middle of the road in damage, HP, and MP.

Music: School III

A young man dressed in crimson garb suddenly appears by the side of my bed. The man had earlier left an indelible impression on me— So he is what is called a Servant.

As the Holy Grail War has begun, monitoring my Master's condition is now a necessity. Before I go on, you did enter the Holy Grail War knowing what you were getting into, right?

Holy Grail War?/Of course.

Holy Grail War? I've heard mention of it, but what is it, exactly?

As always, Archer lies as naturally as he breathes.

Oh well, as our contract is official, verbally abusing you isn't going to help matters any. All right, perhaps I should start at the beginning and explain what the Holy Grail is?

That won't be necessary. The Holy Grail... It can't possibly be THAT Holy Grail? It's the basis of an entire body of western religious history and is said to perform miracles.

Another change. In the other two routes Hakuno just off-handedly describes the Grail in a single line.

Its form varies. It has been a cup and a large tree. One time it took the form of a human being. Cutting to the chase, in this place anything that grants wishes is considered a Holy Grail. Many moons ago, magi from all over created a framework in which they fought for the Holy Grail.

A small nod to Illya.

Magi...Wizards... It seems it is acknowledged that these words I can't get used to hearing somehow refer to myself. Whatever the case, it sounds like this Holy Grail War is a merciless fight for survival.

While there's no bloodier conflict, its structure has been aped many times.

This world's Holy Grail War is just another pale copy. Although there are some differences... For example, the rules. Servants and Wizards fight together and losers forfeit their Command Seals.

My eyes are drawn to my left hand where I've been marked with three strange symbols.

Once you're in, the only way out is to win the Grail or die. Easy enough to understand, right?

I doubt it's that simple. While I have a million questions, at least I know the basics now. And whether I want to be here or not, I'm now a participant in this Holy Grail War nonsense.

So, moving on... Do you know what a Servant is?

Sorry, I don't have a clue./Yes, of course.

Servants are re-creations of Heroic Spirits called to fight in the Holy Grail War. Only people whose names and deeds have survived the millennia become Heroic Spirits. Those people are reproduced here as Servants. Though some are more infamous than famous...

Saber. Lancer. Archer. Rider. Caster. Assassin. Oh and, of course, Berserker.

My true name? I don't remember it. ...Sorry, I couldn't resist. Not all Heroic Spirits are famous. You probably wouldn't know it even if I told you. For the time being, my abilities are far more important than my true name. Also, most Masters refer to their Servants by their class so as not to give away their identity.

So call me Archer. That and I do not see the point of revealing my true name during all of this.

And then we chat with Sakura.

Music: School IV

Gameplay-wise, I'll be sticking to this for pretty much the entire game.

Archer's starting stats.

And his Level 1 Matrix.

Kanshou and Bakuya posted:

A set of matched swords favored by Archer. Although extremely lethal, their mystical aspects make them useful for ceremonial and divination rituals. They are thought to have been created in the Spring and Autumn period of Chinese history by the master smith Gan Jiang.

Anti-Magic (D) posted:

Cancels single-action spells. It also bestows magical resistance equal to that normally provided by a physical talisman such as an amulet.

Independence (C) posted:

This ability allows him to remain independent by rejecting any kind of support from his Master. When this skill reaches rank C, he can remain in the world for a single day without establishing a contract with a Master.

Talk to Rin.

Actually... It's really nostalgic to hear words like that. I'm just a magnet for girl problems...

Archer trails off into mumbling. The gist is about the two female Masters here, but I can't catch the details.

Talk to Kotomine.

And go check Archer's version of the private room.

Archer's pose is indentical to when he got summoned back in F/SN:

Well, whatever. It's not important how it looks, as long as we can talk strategy in here.

Be grateful we've been provided a space the prying eyes and ears of other Masters can't reach. I should come back when I need to talk with Archer.

~

Hmph, so this is headquarters? It's lacking in comfort, not that I'm in a position to complain. —Even a shabby room like this will feel like a king's palace after a few wins under our belt, Master.

Before you enter the Arena, I suggest you do any shopping or intel gathering first.

And off to the Arena.

Music: First Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

In onder to cull incompetent Masters, SE.RA.PH has turned a number of enemy programs loose here. It's the perfect place for a certain novice Master to train. Don't worry, I'll try to not let you die.

Gain a level.

Meet a bee.

Leave.

I realized in the dungeon that my power level is limited by how much of it you can draw out of me.

Our only chance for winning is YOUR improvement. Can't say I'm thrilled at the odds of that going well... However, there's been times in the past where I've seen effort compensate for weakness. Starting tomorrow, you and I ought to train a lot more. I guarantee you won't regret putting in the time.

Next time: This is the third time we've been here, you should know what happens by now.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 23, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

No update next week, I'm coming off a vacation and that means flipping my sleep schedule from nights back to days.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So wait, this Archer is the same as in FSN? Because then, does that apply to Lancer too? He wasn't making FSN references left and right unlike our nameless friend here.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

So wait, this Archer is the same as in FSN? Because then, does that apply to Lancer too? He wasn't making FSN references left and right unlike our nameless friend here.

Archer had special circumstances about him that means he actually remembered each summoning. Also as per Lancer tradition it’s not like Lancer had a lot of screen time….

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The way it goes, heroic spirits technically can remember ALL their summonings but it takes very very strong impressions emotions etc for those memories to actually be recalled consciously.
Lancer would rather forget that time an rear end in a top hat master gave him the worst case of blue balls by ordering him to NOT fight his opponents, so he doesn't remember.
Archerkins here remembers. Nobody is surprised, the reasons are spoilers.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I actually like that the 'but thou must' choice with the servant at the start isn't so with Archer. He absolutely doesn't want to be here, so letting you just die when you say no is great.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Archer complaining about a master joining the war with no idea what it is is just hilarious.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ZCKaiser posted:

Archer complaining about a master joining the war with no idea what it is is just hilarious.

:agreed:
He of all people knows how much a pain in the rear end such a master is.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XCIV - Absence of Saber

This update covers the events of Update IX to XI.

Hi Shinji.

I check the Arena door before talking to Shinji to check if Archer calls him a girl too.

I ended up finding a JP version of Extra just to see if this was in the original text, but it turns out it was a consistent translation goof with gender neutral pronouns.

Whatever the case, this might be a good chance for you to practice. Hurry, let's go after him.

But this might be a golden opportunity to get some info on them. Let's track them down before they leave. Oh, a lot of extremely random stuff can and will happen while you're in the Arena. Also, you can only enter the Arena once a day. Make sure you thoroughly explore it before exiting.

You can't predict how these meetings will play out, but maybe we can get some insight into their strategy.

Oh hey, Drake's set to use wildcard commands in this fight!

Although dangerous, the encounter was certainly educational as we now know his servant uses a gun. I'm not sure by any means, but if she uses a projectile weapon her class may be Archer, just like me.

A good strategy is the key to survival here. You'd do well to keep that in mind.

As long as you follow my lead, all will be well. This war is also a race against time. Chances are that we may not see the enemy again tomorrow. Some info is only available on certain days, so you should try to hit the Arena every day.

Gain a level.

The only similarity to previous wars is the seven classes.

Talk to Archer.

So this is a Trigger. Kotomine said that there are two per round, so do not forget to obtain the second one.

Get the Trigger.

Grind out another level since I was already close.

Leave.

Now that you've got the jist of getting information, think you can pick up more tomorrow?

For that reason, you've got to drain the campus of information every single day. When you enter the Arena, you forfeit any further investigation for that day, understand? Humans do not replicate their actions, so what you miss one day is gone forever. So make a habit of investigating campus and listening to others before entering the Arena.

I understand.

I see. Good. Then let's begin the investigation.

Get the first part of this scene.

Then go get an optional chat.

A shame we aren't in the real world. Oh well, at least this will go towards your spiritual growth, as it were. Unfortunately your physical form won't benefit at all from your exertions here.

Well, there's no use worrying about that. Just continue to wander the SE.RA.PH like Kwai Chang. If you keep adding to the distance you cover, there might come a day where you'll be rewarded.

The requirement for this one is taking around 1000 steps.

Get the second part of this scene.

The guy's an idiot. Anyway, you can find information in both the Arena and on campus. From now on, be sure that you don't sleepwalk through your investigations, okay?

Be sure to thoroughly search the Arena and campus for clues. It's better to be obsessive than dead. There will be information that is only available on certain days, so pay attention at all times.

In.

Out.

Music: Down to Dawn

Archer's first yellow chat is today, same as every other Servant.

I can only assume you feel the same, but I have a strange affinity for places like this. With the exception of myself, this place must be a nightmare for most Heroic Spirits. It's most likely coincidence, but the choice of venue could be intentional. As a soldier, I hope it was a fluke.

You have something against school?

Not at all. Whether it's an imitation or the real thing, contact between humans makes for forced civility. Also, you're always required to be in class at a specific time. Perfect for those who can't plan for themselves. A society without an educational system is doomed to fail. The ability to learn is what makes one human. Well, that would be the answer you'd find in a textbook, anyway... Honestly, I can't see why you'd care about whether I liked school or not. A Servant's abilities won't change just because they're into institutionalized pedagogy.

Archer snaps his mouth shut, almost as if saying out loud: "This conversation is over." Archer's reply is brutally matter-of-fact and leaves no room whatsoever for argument or rebuttal. ...It's not like I have anything to add, but his attitude irks me to no end. I didn't really care about the answer per se; I was just hoping to start a meaningful conversation.

The other two choices have a different end result.

What's with the attitude?

My complaints to Archer are met with silence. As my Servant and ally, I want him to change his attitude.

However, sarcasm is an indelible part of my nature. Remember, we Servants are but recreations of past persons. Our abilities may be enhanced to a degree, but our personalities remain as they were, perhaps more so. You might as well resign yourself to the fact that you're saddled with a snide, cynical Servant.

~

...Fair enough, silence it is.

...But if I lose my temper with him, the abuse will only get worse. I can imagine Archer saying, "Instead of wasting time talking shouldn't you be at least trying to get stronger?" I don't think I could take the humiliation. I should take a break and prepare for the fight ahead.

~~

What do you mean, "intentional"?

Archer mentioned something about this setting being intentional. Could there be a deeper meaning in making the stage for the Holy Grail War resemble a high school?

No, it's not so much the appearance of the stage itself as the motivations of whatever created it. If the Holy Grail created this place of its own accord, then I'd write it off as coincidence. But if someone's using it for their own purposes then there's more to worry about than just winning the war.

Holy poo poo, actual foreshadowing for Twice!

Some unknown person using the Grail— Could it be that priest?! He seems uncharacteristically evil and manipulative for a man of the cloth...

A brilliant bit of deduction, but unfortunately way off the mark. The priest is nothing more than an NPC. This is only my personal opinion, but no one could be using the Holy Grail or manipulating it. That'd mean that the Grail has been claimed by someone. If that was true, the Holy Grail War could not happen.

Followed up by some dramatic irony, as an NPC messing with the Grail that can't fully claim it is exactly what's going on.

That's right. I guess my suspicions led me to read too much into Archer's words. —However. Ignoring everything for the moment, why does Archer suddenly look so smug and self-satisfied?

Err...what? I find it amusing that you'd call a man devoted to God "evil and manipulative." You're lucky you don't know the truth. The real thing is far worse and it seems I'm stuck with him for eternity.

Archer shrugs his shoulders in resignation. It seems that he had met the priest before becoming a Servant. If he knows the priest who is overseeing this Holy Grail War, then maybe he knows about the original war for the Grail.

~

By "soldier" you mean yourself...?

By "mere soldier" is Archer referring to himself? After taking out that Effigy in the Arena as well as all of the other enemy programs, he's proven himself to be more than a "mere soldier." His diminished skills are my fault. As my powers as a Master are weak, he can't access his true abilities.

Sorry to disappoint, but it's the truth. Even if I was at full strength and regardless of past achievements, what you see before you is merely the shell of a common soldier. Most Heroic Spirits are figures of renown who are either revered or reviled. I, however, am an exception. ...I don't want to get your hopes up, so I should tell you that I'm not all that powerful of a Servant. So don't set your expectations too high. And anyway, I'm just a weapon by proxy and have no say in battle. Whether we live or die is up to you. A heavy burden for one so young, but there's no turning back now. From now on, you'll have to find your own reason for going on. Never forget that it's all on you.

"You're not responsible for the weak." The words that Archer said to me before come back to me. I have to get stronger. In his own way, Archer was pointing out that his true strength would be meaningless if his Master is weak.

That's all I have to say. Concentrate on your own future and stop worrying about your Servant's past. Remember that the war has just begun. All that you should be thinking about is how to win the first battle.

~~

...And the conversation ends. By Archer's standards, that must've been the equivalent of idle banter. The look on his face as he silently contemplates the situation is enigmatic at best.

But— Why a school? Outside of the Arena, I don't see the need to have a place for magi to mingle. ...Then again, maybe this place isn't for the Master's benefit, but is something the Holy Grail requires. Master, are you aware of the one obligation that all intelligent beings are required to meet?

Minimum obligation...? Why didn't he ask about the definition of intelligence...? Mankind developed their intelligence and bent the world to their will. They created organized societies and mighty civilizations, some which still exist. But what obligation is humanity required to fulfill...?

The one obligation of all intelligent beings is to reject stasis and complacency. If humanity just wanted to exist, it'd be easy to live like animals and let natural selection run its course. But humans in general do not think like that. The abandonment of rational thought... It'd be like devolving back into man's primate predecessors. No matter the circumstances, humans will always be inventive, progressive living beings. And regardless of how things will go in the future, they can never be satisfied leaving things as they are.

In one conversation Archer foreshadows Twice and also gives the exact argument Hakuno will end up using against Leo at the end of the game.

The man is nothing if not efficient.

The Holy Grail holds that aspect of humanity in the highest regard. Thinking along those lines, maybe this setting is supposed to remind Masters of what makes them human. *Sigh* I don't sense any evil intent, but that makes me even more suspicious. I don't think it's the fight itself that interests the Holy Grail. Rather, I think it wants to observe how humans would confront one another in a real life setting.

That's it for the conversation.

For comparison: Tamamo talked about the T Regulations for her first yellow chat, and Nero nearly reveals her true name and mentions her bisexuality.

Hell of a change in tone.

Time to hit the chapel!

Archer is special, in that we're getting not one...

...but two Skills in one go.

Statwise, I'll be going with Tamamo's early leveling split of a 2:1 Strength:Defense ratio, but I'll be sticking with this for nearly the full game. Archer doesn't have the natural bulk of Nero, and his eventual defensive option is a lot harder to use than Tamamo's, so he'll need the extra durability.

And yes, this does mean that Magic only matters for a single Servant, and Agility/Luck are dump stats for all three. What a riveting use of RPG mechanics.

So, why does Archer get two Skills so quickly?

Because Pre-Projection is the core of Archer's gimmick, every use of it will build a stack of Projection, up to 5. Projection stacks will enable most of his other Skills and empower others. If he got his second Skill at 20 SP like Tamamo and Nero, he'd have nothing to actually use Projection on for another three levels.

Case in point, Red Hound - Weaken needs one stack to work, otherwise it just fails completely.

It also showcases Archer's gimmick compared to the others. Nero smacked things, Tamamo stunned things, now Archer gets to nail the enemy with stat debuffs.

Music: First Chimeric Lunar Sea - Second Floor

It'd really suck if they ambushed us as we returned to campus, so we should just deal with them now. Master, we should try to find that book before that little punk and his Servant find us.

Archer even gets an exclusive tutorial about Projection!

Also, different Skills require that Projection be at a certain level, otherwise they cannot be used. And the higher the Projection level the more powerful the related Skill, so be sure to increase its level when needed.

Music: Battle - First Chimeric Lunar Sea

Oh hey, this is actually a perfect pattern to test Archer's new Skills on!

Pre-Projection, followed by Red Hound - Weaken.

With Red Hound's required stack of Projection, I'd say Archer has the roughest early game on NG. He has more MP than Nero, sure, but he's forced to burn 10 MP and an action if he wants to brute force an unknown move.

However, I've long since turned on a command reveal cheat for normal fights, and even if I didn't the sheer amount of info I have from the two prior runs means I regularly get 5-6 revealed moves for most enemies in the game, so that doesn't matter.

And Red Hound's damage is about on par with Archer's normal attacks, but the debuff will give him a sizable boost overall.

And as a bonus, Extra's lategame skill spam means keeping the debuff on will be a cakewalk.

Let's try two stacks of Projection.

On one hand, the damage is the same, so maybe Red Hound is just excluded from getting a bonus from Projection.

On the other hand, Extra's damage variance is a bitch so maybe I just got a low roll.

Let's get back to this another day.

I gain a level on the way to the book.

It looks like it'd be worth the time to root through that box over there.

Very, very interesting. I can see why the boy wanted to hide it so badly.

It's lecture time, Master. Using my blade I will show you the consequences of giving away information.

Drake's still using wildcards here, but not as many as before.

First off, that book must be his Servant's. And it appears to be a ship's log... And judging by the ship's battery that Servant just unleashed on us- Her prowess with vehicles is really advanced; that means that without a doubt she is a Rider.

Well, now that we've got what we came for, I don't see a problem with us taking off now. Although we could go track down the Trigger right now, too. Stay and search or go and rest; it's up to you.

Next time: We kill Shinji for the last time.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 23, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Note that Agility is the damage stabilization stat, so it makes sense that you have extreme damage variance problems if you dump it.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Cyouni posted:

Note that Agility is the damage stabilization stat, so it makes sense that you have extreme damage variance problems if you dump it.

On the other hand, there's basically no point in building it instead of just raising your min/max damage thresholds more. Maybe if it also handled skill priority, but that would make Caster a living nightmare at all times, not just early game.

This is not a good stat system for customization and the game really needed to just have each Servant have their own stat tracks, is what I'm getting at.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Archer's dialogue is always a treat and I see this game is no different. Him calling Shinji a jackass straight-up is great, dude is just so pissed he has to deal with Shinji again. And the foreshadowing was neat too. He seems like a pain to deal with mechanically though, having to set Projections up before you can do anything.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Materant posted:

Maybe if it also handled skill priority, but that would make Caster a living nightmare at all times, not just early game.

Technically speaking it does handle Skill clashes, but defensive skills like Cave have priority over everything so it doesn't matter.

The only possible time it could be relevant is if you clash with an enemy skill and both of you are a single hit away from death, otherwise both of you just take a hit and keep on going so the order doesn't matter.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I have never seen skill clashes matter, because unless you're dead it's still going off. If the skill going second failed, it might have been more worth it?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XCV - Gold rush?

This update covers the events of Updates XI to XV.

Gain a level.

All right, we managed to track down both of the Triggers, or Cipher keys as Kotomine likes to call them. If we want to insure we find the Triggers in the future, we had better thoroughly scour the Arena.

Trigger.

Leave.

Well, all that matters today is that you got a feel for the importance of information. You probably noticed half the prep period has passed. Obtaining both Triggers in time is crucial.

Barrier time.

Like they say, a leopard can't change its spots. Expect nothing but subterfuge from now on.

Luckily, this barrier is fairly weak, and is caused by an anomaly in the area's programming code. I guess that leaves us no choice but to find the two locations that little vermin put his sigils.

I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but have you been using ■? Pressing it will bring up a list of places you can immediately travel to without any effort. If you forget anything, make sure it's not this.

One.

Go spend my SP.

...Although I have to admit that whoever dreamed this trap up is a genius...or a savant.

And two.

like a warm-up, but it'll be a rocky road after that.

Gain two levels.

And leave.

Just one day left in the preparation period. You'll have to be trained up with Triggers in hand by tomorrow.

Once the day of the Elimination Battle arrives, it'll be too late for go-backs. It's not like the enemy Master is a threat, but his Servant is on the powerful side. Her strength matches my own, so it'll be the one who falters first who loses.

SP.

Decor.

In any case, we can't twiddle our thumbs while she gets stronger. Let's use that treasure to bolster our own funds.

Speed up.

This is just stupid. But I'd expect nothing less from that idiot Kotomine.

And start running.

...Wait, Kotomine had nothing to do with this, what's Archer talking about?

I'm referring to how tragically sloppy the guy has been with his information, of course. Review your information one more time tomorrow before the Elimination Battle in your private room. Things might not go as smoothly next round, so let's just enjoy the battle this time.

I'm sorry my own commentary has been so sparce lately.

(For most of NG+, in fact.)

But what is there to say at this point? This is the third time we've seen the exact same stuff.

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

Even with different Servants, pretty much all of their non-private room lines have to hit the same notes so it plugs right in.

...I didn't realize I'd be thinking about this, but there's certainly something in a name.

He's not the same person—this Shinji is actually good at heart. Still, I can't help thinking this is fate.

Yeah, sure, we get some of Archer's signature snark, but every Servant has to insult Shinji here so the writers don't have to do unique reactions from Shinji.

Archer confirms that this Shinji is different than the original about 10 minutes before the game itself does it, at least.

Music: Duel - Kill Or Be Killed

Video: Week 1 Elimination Battle (Archer ver.)

Oh hoh, I like you, hot stuff. Alright, I'll make you bow beneath my feet!

This is just standard NG+ Extra combat.

Except now I have to spend a move setting up Projection before I can start spamming Skills.

Although I did decide to let Drake use her NP.

add_invalid lol

...El Draque. I'm surprised that you're a woman, but perhaps you're even wiser and deadlier for it. After all, gender has nothing to do with prowess on the battlefield. Farewell, great navigator.

Bye Shinji.

But, Masters call forth Servants they're compatible with, and you summoned stubborn me. My unbending conviction is what made me a Heroic Spirit, really. So you, too, must be stubborn. So don't worry if at some point I get overbearingly stubborn. As for you, focus on not dying. There's no time to construct more elaborate of a motivation.

Archer doesn't have to drive the point home so hard. Even if I'm lost now, I'll have to find a moral compass before the next battle...or else. If my issues are still unresolved when that comes around... I'll just die.

He is very different from Shinji. With Dan, we will lose unless you cease to be lost.

Archer's saying that I ought to believe in myself first. He's right. I have to fight and win, because the alternative is not an option. But that also means taking a life. I can't justify that— ...I'm hesitating. But I wouldn't be thinking so hard about this if there were less at stake.

Get Archer's generic line for this week.

Talk to Rin.

Spend SP.

And talk to Archer.

That's right. This strange man is a Servant, one just as capable of displaying incredible powers. Now that I'm a Master, of course I can't avoid my curiosity about this Noble Phantasm thing.

My Noble Phantasm? It's no better or worse than any other Servant's. It's yours to call upon whenever you deem necessary. I have a duty to protect you, after all.

I understand how a great warrior's tactics and tools could telegraph their identity to a wise Master. It will be most advantageous if I wait as long as possible to use the Noble Phantasm...

Another difference between routes. Tamamo was too ashamed of her past to use Ninefold Blessings, and Nero wanted to wait for the most dramatic moment to use the Golden Theater, but here it's Hakuno who holds off on using Archer's Noble Phantasm.

I really wished the writers leaned into this more, with Hakuno developing in different ways based on which Servant is guiding them, but the writing budget was thin enough as it is.

Next time: So two cynical, pragmatic Archers walk into the Arena...

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 23, 2023

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Don't feel like you have to apologize for not having anything to say. It's not like Extra is really giving you a lot of material, everything you might have wanted to say, you already had a chance in the first two playthroughs.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I feel that the game's replayability simply doesn't hold up for consecutive repeats like this. The different servant can only do so much.

There are interesting tidbits, but that's all they are, tidbits.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

As the thread's resident insane guy*, agreed. I did a Tamamo run, a Nero Ng+, got destroyed by Shiki and yeah that was enough. I got my enjoyment out of the game. Archerkins could wait forever.

*I actually enjoy the combat system

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I did Nero, Archer, Tamamo, and really didn't feel like setting up the proper cheese for Shiki after I wandered in originally and casually died.

I stopped there and yeah, it didn't really have much more to offer.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

serefin99 posted:

Don't feel like you have to apologize for not having anything to say. It's not like Extra is really giving you a lot of material, everything you might have wanted to say, you already had a chance in the first two playthroughs.

Again, speaking as probably one of the only people in the thread who was never exposed to any of this, you're doing just fine showing it off, no need to write to fill space if not needed.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XCVI - Great problem at the archery club

This update covers the events of Updates XV to XVII.

He may look weak, but don't judge a book by its cover. Letting our guard down could prove fatal. This one's Master looks very capable; unlike poor El Draque whose Master was a jackass. In any case, I think this duo will prove to be a challenge. Do not stint in your preparations.

A confrontation with them is almost assured. Make sure that you're prepared before entering. If there is anything you feel needs your immediate attention, I advise you take care of it now.

Let us be on our way, then. Our opponents will not be the same as before, so do not be complacent.

Music: Breach

You have to keep it together, Master. You're just begging to be attacked, standing still like that.

The sound of Archer's calm voice brings me back to reality and frees up my previously paralyzed thoughts. I'm okay now. —I can move my feet and hands.

He conceals himself in order to fight from a position of unassailability— A wise tactic to use, enemy or not.

Archer furrows his brow for an instant, a silent criticism of my momentary display of anxiety.

That's a simple enough task. Once we destroy the source, all of this should disappear. Let's get a move on, Master. There's no reason to let this continue any longer than necessary.

This poison should clear if we destroy it.

See the tree.

Eavesdrop on Dan.

On one hand, rushing in blindly like this is a bit out of character for Archer.

On the other, giving his Master a chance to get herself killed to try and make her sharpen up is very in character for Archer.

Let's stay quiet.

While quieting my breathing I give Archer a meaningful glance, who raises a questioning eyebrow in return. Attacking now would be a bad idea, especially since I can probably get a lot of information just by listening.

but just randomly spreading poison around like he did was just pathetic, not to mention gross pollution.

And the tree.

Magic flows from where the tree towers over the Arena. There is so much of it that those who are unprepared would drown in poison.

Gain a level on the way to the Trigger.

You still don't have your memories, and you fought against a friend. I'm willing to overlook your flaws... I probably shouldn't have said that.

Talk to Archer.

Okay, we've found a Trigger.

Get the Trigger.

Gain another level.

Leave.

But, here's the good news, Master. The two of them don't trust each other, and we can exploit that.

So you don't get slaughtered when it's time to face him, why don't you train a little in the Arena?

Meet Rani for the third and final time.

To be blunt, you are far too open about yourself. Think of this as a warning to be more cautious.

Spend SP.

The counterpart to Red Hound - Weaken, Red Hound - Fatigue needs another stack of Projection and trades the Defense debuff for a Strength debuff. Archer takes the longest to get his defensive Skill out of all three Servants, so being able to blunt enemy hits will go a long way until then.

And off to go grab that stuff for Rani.

Be careful. This enemy Servant lives to exploit weaknesses.

Gain a level.

Show off Archer's new move.

It has the exact same animation as the other, albeit with a different colored arrow, but that's just Extra being Extra.

Get the last of Rani's bits.

And leave.

Music: None

It'd be a poor joke if we were jumped from behind while you searched for hidden Folders. ...I hate being taken by surprise. But if we do go Folder hunting, we commit fully or don't do it at all.

Get an optional chat from Archer. This one is for opening 20 Folders.

Grab another Skill for him while we're at it.

Going along with Tamamo's Break buff and Nero's (inital) Attack buff, Archer gets a Guard buff.

Considering how Nero's three buffs breaks this neat little triangle, I wonder if the devs just couldn't figure out other Skills to fill her kit and just gave her more buffs to make up for it. Not a lot of ways you can simply smack an enemy, after all.

Anyways, Fortification is... decent? Like yeah, good use of it will let you cap out your Projection stacks for only 20 MP, but it falls for the usual Extra issue where you just aren't guessing on commands by end game. That means you're entirely dependant on Attacks being revealed to get the most out of this.

And go hit Robin's ambush.

Even if Archer hadn't warned me, I know moving will be fatal. I can feel someone watching me. There's no doubt that I am being stalked by a Servant.

There's no time to determine the extent of the threat. When I give you the signal, run.

I try to calm down and prepare for action as Archer and I make eye contact. One, two, three?

Well, I'm not crazy enough to play along. Let's go someplace we can get a clear view, Master.

Bye, Robin.

But awe isn't what I should be feeling. I should be ashamed at my own incompetence. Sorry, Master. But, no true harm was done. Just rest for now. Holy Grail War rules protect Master safety on campus. As long as you're here, the poison won't get worse. First thing tomorrow morning, it's the nurse's office for you. We'll resume fighting after you're healed.

Next time: Archer on Archer violence.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 23, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XCVII - One day at the archery club

This update covers the events of Update XVIII to XXI.

And because his Servant attacked you, he'll suffer a stat decrease as a penalty, too. Anyway, you'll still lose if your resolve doesn't match his.

Archer's yellow chat is today.

Oh, that would be ever-so-helpful. I can't really fight all-out with that long-suffering look on your face.

My "relationship" with my Servant. He fights well enough, but his attitude is like a dagger to my soul. I'm pretty sure a normal Master and Servant relationship doesn't involve this much ridicule and abuse.

But I do respect your lofty position as a Master. As for my general opinion of you, that will depend on how you grow as Master from here on out. I don't expect miracles. If you can become merely competent, I might change my attitude a little...maybe.

..."A little," he says. I seriously doubt his sincerity. Servants are just reproductions of their mortal identities, so their personalities don't change. I need to go a little further afield to blunt Archer's sarcasm. For instance,

Perform an Alteration of the Soul?

An Alteration of the Soul? ...Hm. I doubt they'll be able to change my basic nature, but that can boost one's luck, so who knows? If one's history was erased or if a rewrite was done based on alternative info, their personality might change. For example, you could return sanity to a Berserker. Of course, all this depends on the Servant agreeing to it. I don't really trust those sisters, but they seem competent enough to perform a little spiritual awakening.

This was an unexpected revelation. It seems like Servants have their own problems to deal with and a few Heroic Heroic Spirits' souls are actually tormented. I also find it surprising that Archer, of all people, is more than wary of Alterations of the Soul. ...Is it because the process is incredibly painful or something?

Is it excruciatingly painful?

Naw, it's mostly painless. And anyway, it's the fault of a certain someone that my abilities are gimped. While the process would make me stronger, I worry about raising my stats beyond their original values. I'm especially worried about boosting my luck. To say I've never been lucky would be an understatement.

Considering Luck is a dump stat here, Archer doesn't have to worry about that one.

~

Are you afraid of the process?

...I think we should end this conversation. I'm starting to freak myself out just thinking about it. It's more about who's doing the deed, as it were. One sister has no ethics; the other has no common sense. ...Well, no use worrying about it. I can only assume that they're competent and no accidents will happen...maybe.

~

If that's so, sorry I mentioned it.

...Wow. Just...wow. Of all the things I thought you'd say that certainly wasn't one of them. There's no need for you to apologize. Our training schedule and battle strategy are your responsibility. Me, I'm just the trigger man. I'm used to doing this sort of thing, so don't worry about me. A few more scars won't kill me...

I guess that'd be right. This is the perfect opportunity. I kindly accept your obviously heartfelt sympathy...Master.

~~

...Honestly, I don't really have a problem with an Alteration of the Soul in and of itself. You see, it's not the process as a whole I have a problem with, my problem would be with a Master whose soul is so twisted that they'd order such a thing be done.

Archer then favors me with an insultingly sarcastic smile. I guess he isn't too happy with my intent to alter his personality using an Alteration of the Soul.

I'm sure you're on top of things. You seem comfortable enough to burn valuable time on idle chitchat. You looked pretty depressed during the first round, but I guess I shouldn't have worried about you. Considering your current behavior, the second round will be a cakewalk, right...Master?

So that's the whole of his response. To be perfectly blunt, I'm hoping for a "more obedient Servant" option when I do an Alteration of the Soul...

~~~

Set him up for absolute humiliation?

I'm pretty sure that Archer's arrogance comes from the fact that he's yet to screw up badly. Maybe if he made a colossal mistake he would be a bit easier to deal with afterward.

Right... Enduring a loss without avenging it, taking dishonor without making amends, then even someone like me would watch what I say. I know that much, at the very least—

Whatever might happen from here on out, be aware that my mistakes could cost my lord his life. If you're okay with that, then I'm fine with dropping the ball every now and then. I would truly regret should you leave this mortal coil, as I'd be out of a job, as it were. Thus, in some small and insignificant way, you'd have your revenge against me.

Archer's sarcasm is almost palatable. But he's right; his failures could have dire consequences for me. In addition, my failures become his failures as well. In a sense, I'd be cutting my own throat.

Welcome to the dichotomy of the Servant relationship. Just accept the fact your luck's as bad as mine.

...I think I get it. With Archer, I need to be able to dish out an equal amount of scorn and abuse in kind.

When dealing with Archer, there's no way to out-sarcasm him.

~

Maybe things are fine as is...?

...No, I need to stay calm. Archer may be a pain in the rear end, but all he's doing is making me think about what being a Master truly means. He's not "topping from the bottom." ...I see it now. He may be overly strict and demanding, but he's never casually insulting. In fact, he's been doing his best to protect and nurture an inexperienced Master. His cynicism and sarcasm is just a byproduct of his concern. His personality is just slightly bent compared to most rational people. He's sort of like the somewhat bitter and arrogant sister-in-law.

Hey, what's with the silent treatment? Changing your approach...wait, what's with that smirk?

So the only way to win is to not play.

It's not a smirk, it's a smile. Archer's attempt at maintaining his facade is fairly amusing now that I understand why he's doing it. I now see that he isn't being arrogant so much as displaying his strength and subtly telling me to "just rely on your Servant." And isn't instilling confidence something allies should do for each other?

Hmph. That smile on your face is...unnerving. But I can live with it if it means you're done complaining. The real Holy Grail War starts now and the challenges that await us will make my chiding seem mostly harmless.

In.

Level.

You got the cipher key. If you want to keep training, which I reconmend, I've got your back.

Trigger.

Level.

Out.

While admirable, Master of Archer, I fail to understand why you acted as you did.

She might have more info in the future. Why don't we talk to her regularly from now on?

Astrology? How very magus-like. I hear all of Atlas's alchemists are capable astrologists. But I'm more interested in what her professor has to say. Maybe we'll learn more about her, too. For the time being, we should focus on our enemy.

Talk to Rani.

...A life tainted with corruption. Many heroes have sinned, but he seems to have gone too far.

Spend SP.

It makes me wonder why a man of such conviction would chase after the Holy Grail. While it's obvious he is determined to win, obtaining the Grail is no small feat. ...Or could it be that he does not truly understand what it means to possess the Holy Grail? ...For now, we should concentrate on finding the Trigger. The clock is ticking, after all.

Back to the Arena.

They've been hit with a penalty, so why don't we take them out here and now?

With a hand on their weapon, my Servant squints their eyes upon hearing Dan's and Archer's words.

Seriously, it's all right with me. You can even use that Noble Phantasm you're so proud of.

Or did your lord's dazzling words rob you of the ability to conceal yourself from the world?

Archer's words seem to take Archer totally by surprise, as if his words touch on the enemy's very core. For a moment, his normally calm demeanor became incredibly flustered.

Both Archers get the usual blue text with no way to differentiate between them, unlike Alice and Alice.

Archer's eyes shine with evil intent. As he reaches under his cape, I fear he may unleash his Noble Phantasm.

Sorta sad how Archer gets the shortest banter with Robin.

But I can't just blow off the confidence my Master has in me. Consider my excuses to be bad jokes. An honest head-to-head fight. It's not really my style, but what the hell, I'll play along, comrade.

...Color me surprised. I thought you were a flake, but you actually devote yourself to your convictions. Hunter of the forest. It's seems that through your Master's nobility, you see the folly that was your existence.

-I wonder. As different as we are from one another, I get the feeling we both have similar regrets. You're offensively narcissistic. I'm a classic nihilist. Don't you think we're perfectly suited to be enemies?

I won't argue with that. If you think about it, I wonder if those two aren't just like us in a way.

Ha! You're way off base! Let's get this over with. I'll stain that coat of yours red with your own blood!

Once we're sure that Dan and Archer have left, Archer relaxes a little. A small smile forms on his lips.

Did you hear, Master? He spoke of his home. —Sherwood Forest. Rani's astrology reading was quite remarkable. She was pretty much dead on about everything.

Also, Dan mentioned a fairly important keyword, the Faceless King.

With this new info, I think we're closing in on Archer's true name. You should look into this more when we return to campus.

...Wait, that last bit was part of Hakuno's narration on the other two routes. Why does Archer get to say it here?

To win.

—Without your Noble Phantasm?

...Sheesh. I'm glad that you're finally taking things seriously, but we can't rush that. Master, what kind of victory are you aiming for? Just immediate, or also future victory?

Immediate victory.

You're in for a disappointment. Placing emphasis on immediate victory is what Shinji would do.

What Shinji would do?! I-In other words, it's a really stupid idea?

Good guess. This isn't our only fight, okay?

~

Future victory.

Good. Then you already know what I was going to say.

~~

My job is to keep you alive until the end, and that means leaving a few surprises for later. If we reveal our last resort so early on, we'll be trapped later and end up losing.

Admittedly that's sorta a non-issue due to the Moon Cell HGW's format. No one can peek in on an Elimination Battle (even Julius had to give up on watching Rin and Rani's fight lest his brain get fried) so using a Noble Phantasm there is a win-win situation. Either you win and anyone who saw it is now dead, or you lose and it doesn't matter.

With that, Archer gets lost in almost meditative thought and says nothing further. Considering how adamant he seemed about his theory, we're probably done talking. The issue drops, but some unease lingers in my brain. Some day, I may make the decision to use my Servant's full abilities.

Get the decor.

A lot more subdued compared to Tamamo or Nero's. You can barely see it past Archer's portait whenever he speaks.

In.

Out.

You gave me an order, right? To win. I'm not going to ignore that.

This is going to be so much fun.

We'd have been in trouble if the Master and Servant had been the other way around.

But, my Master is different this time. They will be full of doubt unless I fight fair and square.

That's the spirit! Thank god I'll never have to see this guy's ugly mug again. Now that we have to say goodbye, I'm getting all teary. How about I fire an arrow for every tear I weep?

Besides, I doubt you can cry in the first place. You're as twisted as the roots of your beloved yew.

Give me a break. You're twisted and wretched, so what do you want me to say? That you're a lace doily?

...*Sigh* Something tells me we wouldn't make good friends.

Well, obviously. You're a miserable pretentious rear end. Tell me, how deep do you bury your feelings?

King of May, who discarded his pride out of pride, I'll rescue you from your desperate life by killing you!

Week 2 Elimination Battle (Archer ver.)

Talk all you want. We won't lose when it comes to sniping. Right, Master?

Mhm. It may be a skill from my younger days... but I'll show you the secret to sniping.

This is Extra combat.

But!

That's not Robin's NP line, even though Archer is poisoned!

He finally used it!

What set him off? Is it because he's at low HP? Is it a random chance whenever I'm poisoned? Was Mercury in retrograde? hosed if I know.

Faceless King is actually extremely rude if you aren't skill spamming past it, since, you know, it means he wins all clashes.

He used it on move 2; if I tried to use normal commands on this turn he would have had four attacks and an extra attack. That would have been lethal and there would be nothing I could do.

However, that was the only move he could counter.

Dan even used his other code cast!

Next time: We run into a mysterious white haired girl.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 23, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XCVIII - Illya strikes back!

This update covers the events of Update XXII to XXVI.

But you don't seem as shaken as after the first round. Either you mentally prepared for this fight, or have simply become used to battle. It's nice to see. No matter what has happened, you are no better or worse than anyone else in this Holy Grail War. Don't let every little thing shake you. Exhibit some of the composure that Shinji didn't. Maybe it wasn't all intentional, but he treated the rules of this war as if they were below him. A serious lapse in judgment. Thank goodness you aren't that arrogant. The truly strong wish neither to die nor kill. In other words, they are humane.

As soon as we return, Archer goes mouthing off. Is this really how a Servant acts? But the shock from the first round is indeed gone. It could be that I have acclimated, but—

About Dan Blackmore. Did you learn anything from your fight with him?

Like the last two times, all options here give the same result.

I see. ...Well, I suppose it isn't so easy to. Not even that old soldier could avoid battle. That's human nature for you. Show me your true feelings in the fight to come.

The next battle... Right, there's a third round, and then a fourth, and so on. I'm still kind of lost. But if that's the path before me, then I owe it to the lives lost so far to keep fighting. Right or wrong, that's one way to think about things.

We get the mid-week interlude that introduces Li.

Go meet Alice.

I seriously hope you've managed to overcome your tendency for misplaced compassion.

She may look innocent, but remember she's already killed twice to get to the third round.

Archer's yellow chat for this week is right on day 1.

Unlike me, Archer is as stoic as always. Servants are battle-scarred warriors, after all. ...Is killing children something that he's accustomed to?

He used "fight" instead of "kill." Fighting and killing are different by definition, but here they are one and the same. Archer modulates his voice to drain any trace of emotion out of it.

Of course the fight against a mysterious girl has Archer make a callback to Illya.

Gentle people don't stand a chance in a fight. They lose more, and more often, than most in battle. However, lucky us, this time one of the powerless ones has gotten the strength to fight back. Our first opponent was hostile. Our second was honorable and proud. Both motivations suit warfare. You're too green to be fighting against another's affection. You're too decent of a person to understand how unfair that is.

My advice is to avoid this opponent. The better you know her, the less able you will be to command me. Leave the fighting to me. You'll do yourself a favor if you train your emotions to stay under control.

—Well, in spite of what I've just told you... There's a chance this opponent may be far more evil than any you've ever encountered. Children are a lot more devious and calculating than people give them credit for. She's pretty aggressive with her affection—she might just be plain aggressive. She's defeated two Masters already. So, don't let your guard down. That could be exactly what she wants.

Archer stops, awkwardly shrugging. I guess that's his way of being considerate of my feelings. Archer rides me pretty hard, but I've seen him go soft, especially on women. He's probably unaware of how much he cares for women. ...Anyway. I've learned that Archer doesn't fight innocents... Does that mean he kills them without a fight?

Should I pursue that question?

I can't help asking, even though I know I shouldn't. Has he killed innocent people? He must be able to read the question on my face. Archer nods firmly. So he has.

First of all, heroes kill. A lot. Their names are recorded in history in place of all the innocent lives they exploited, directly or not. Rare is the hero without lamb's blood on their hands. Sorry to ruin your illusions, kid. Second, I'm not a respectable hero. Servants fall into several groups, one of them is anti-heroes. Anti-heroes are the shadows that make heroes shine all the brighter. They're a necessary evil. Think about it. What mythological hero do you know who doesn't have an equally powerful nemesis? That's how things go. My case is a little different, though. I'm a faceless hero generated by society's sense of justice. I can't say I eradicated evil or was ever worshiped. All I did was play roles that were of benefit to society. Before I knew it, people began treating me like a hero.

...Roles that benefited society...?

Yeah. An ally of justice is what they called me.

Despite the dripping sarcasm in his tone, Archer actually looks kind of happy. An ally of justice. An ally of justice, really? It's so corny I can't keep a straight face, but I don't dare laugh.

I know what you're thinking. It sounds corny as hell. But, what's worse is that it's true. I cared about justice more than being a hero. I was focused on ideals, not real human lives. Even if they kill scores of people, real heroes are doing it to save people. They don't save ideals. I ended a lot of lives in pursuit of justice. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were innocent. This body is just a personification of blind righteousness. I could slay that girl without remorse. That's all I wanted to say. Thought you might want to know what kind of Servant you made a contract with.

Archer can't help getting a dig in, as if the words he'd just said were about some other schmuck. Archer says that he is an ally of justice, a personification of blind righteousness, and a murderer with hands covered in innocent blood. How can he be all of the above? If he personified justice, then he would have saved many lives. He refuses to acknowledge that he received thanks as a hero, but he had to have gotten it. ...He's a Heroic Spirit without a name, huh? How'd he wind up with his current body, then?

~

...I probably shouldn't bring it up.

...No, that's not a question I should ask him right now. It's only been two weeks since I met him, but I know that he's not an indiscriminate murderer. I trust him, so I just need to think about how to survive the third round.

Rin.

Archer's disgusted look actually causes me physical pain, but if it'd help me learn more about Alice, I'd dress up as a pony...

Alice.

Arena.

This may be a chance to get some information. Let's proceed, Master. But with caution.

Archer is being as cynical and sarcastic as always, but for once he seems okay with my decision. For now, we'll go after Alice and hope that chances to gather information will present themselves along the way.

One.

Level.

Two.

Three.

Level.

And four.

I already beat it once, I'm not doing it again.

Let's gather infonmation first. What? Escaping from here while protecting you is easy. Don't even think about using a Command Seal.

Let's look into it further before we jump to any conclusions.

She may be tiny, but her power is immense. We need a plan of attack, or we'll never reach the Triggers.

Twice makes his obligatory 5 second appearance.

Also, we really need to find out more about that Berserker.

Spend SP.

Start the Vorpal Blade chain.

And finish it.

Back to the Arena.

Anyway, let's not let this chance pass us by, Master. We'll be able to have a real fight now.

Well, let's just get the cipher key and call it a day.

Well, that was a handful. We always have to do the stupidest things to get these cipher keys.

Run into the girls.

For example, Rin Tohsaka and Leo. Their spiritron bodies are faithful reproductions of their physical bodies. But, the danger of such powerful magic circuits is that they keep going after the magus has died. Even after the magus' soul and memories have faded, their magic circuits linger. Eventually, they melt into the network, existing on their own. On the other hand, average magi will manifest average bodies. You fall somewhere in between.

Your facial features and body are unique, but you're still obeying the school dress code. You can see ghosts, but you can't repel them. I'd say that makes you a prime target for a haunting.

So, don't get spooked, okay? If you die on the battlefield, there are no flowers to lay on your corpse.

Remember to get Archer's generic chat.

And back into the Arena.

Anyway, we've gotta track down those kids. We probably can't displace the Reality Marble until we catch them. We've just gotta corner them in a dead end. Let's do this, Master!

I decide to speed up the chase a bit.

I'm really bad at games like this.

I move so fast that they can't even start running before setting off their teleport.

And the teleport itself doesn't cover enough distance, so now they're chasing me!

So the cutscene starts with us cornering empty space.

Master, don't let them pull the wool over your eyes. If you let them have their way, it'll be the end of you!

We have to catch them, Master. It's a race against time now.

drat it, my Master's body is almost gone. I'll take the penalty and settle this right here!

I can't believe I let them get away. We don't have time to do anything but kill them next time, Master!

The poor girls have been left in the dust for the entire day.

She dropped something when she left, though. Here's hoping it's the key to unlocking the Reality Marble... First thing tomorrow, let's go check it out.

Next time: A good ol' fashioned book burning.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 23, 2023

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I do like how Archer’s initial statement on Alice is sensible but inaccurate. Rhyme just protected Alice’s innocence too well up to this point.

I do view the Alice sequence as the game’s high point, it’s the right mix of unnerving, hosed up, and sympathetic all tied up nicely with a mystery bow.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Was Archer's assessment of how people look in the virtual world (Rin and Leo have fully unique bodies because of their strong magic circuits, Hakuno has an unique face but generic clothes because they're in the middle, weaklings get to be NPCs) said in any other route? That seems like important lore there.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Blaze Dragon posted:

Was Archer's assessment of how people look in the virtual world (Rin and Leo have fully unique bodies because of their strong magic circuits, Hakuno has an unique face but generic clothes because they're in the middle, weaklings get to be NPCs) said in any other route? That seems like important lore there.

It was mentioned by one of the random masters early on, iirc.

e:

Update VII posted:

(far left): Hey, Kishinami! Remember me? We were in the same class in the preliminaries.

Sorry, uh...

Don't worry, it's not your fault. It's that these default avatars all look alike. I really want to try customizing my avatar like Tohsaka or Shinji.

This is the reason why everyone else has generic character models. Skilled people like Rin can change their looks to better match their actual form, while no-talent plebs like ourselves are stuck with whatever the system gives us.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 26, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XCIX - Sword and magic

This update covers the events of Update XXVII to XXXII.

Unfolding the memo, I read the four words written there— [What is your name?] That is the only thing written.

Your name, huh? It might be meaningful inside the barrier, but it's an obvious question here.

Talk to Rin.

And in we go.

Gain a level.

Don't you think it's unfair the terrain always suits our enemies?

Chat with Archer.

I doubt that school uniform is helping you much in this situation. What, are you warming yourself with willpower? I underestimated you.

Chat with Archer again.

Although we've obtained a Trigger, we can't coast. I never expected a Reality Marble from that kid.

Get the Trigger.

One more level.

And leave.

What do you say to asking those two sisters in the chapel about this? If they're smart enough to do Alterations of the Soul, they might know something about this as well.

I go spend my SP.

And get Archer's passive.

All it does is give one stack of Projection at the start of the fight, saving me from having to open with Pre-Projection before I can start Skill spamming.

Do the whole chain of events with the Jabberwocky note.

In.

Out.

Get the decor.

Although I'd normally recommend against fighting unless necessary... But as you're an inexperienced Master, it's probably better to train in preparation for future battles. When you hit another milestone, I'll be sure to congratulate you again.

And also get an optional chat from Archer.

Talk to Alice.

And end the day.

...It's good to show respect for the dead, but not if it is going to get you killed. If you pity her, then liberate her from her pathetic fate.

It's easier if they give you the cold shoulder. Then we can all ignore each others' feelings.

Video: Week 3 Elimination Battle (Archer ver.)

No, it'll keep on going... This nightmare, forever.

Forever and ever, until we say so!

It's. Alice.

She did the exact same thing the last two times. She did the same thing this time.

Rin and Leo argue a bit.

Music: Duel of Fate

Let's just skip ahead to the Multimedia Room.

Archer quietly gazes at the girl in red—Rin Tohsaka. His voice is curiously free of its normal bite.

They appear equally matched, but the Master of the big guy is just doing the equivalent of button mashing. She keeps throwing his strength around, but it's no use. This will end up like David and Goliath. ...Well, just like in Go, one dumb mistake by Miss Red there could still lose her the game...

Rani starts her self-destruct.

No attack could counter that move— it's enough to destroy them both. It can only be blocked head-on. ...But, can she do it? Rin Tohsaka's Servant is a Heroic Spirit made for one-on-one combat. Rani's Servant, meanwhile, is a living fortress. He could expel armies, but maybe not that spear. ...If we wait, two of our strongest opponents will eliminate each other without us lifting a finger.

His mischievous grin twists into a frown when he looks at me.

I didn't realize I was telegraphing my emotions. But, more importantly, what did my Servant just say? Could there be some way to save them? It sounds like there might be, but Archer wasn't enthusiastic.

...Yeah. There's something you can do. Look at your left hand.

He points at my Command Seals.

But, I would be teleporting into a sealed area. That can't happen without the help of a Command Seal.

So, it's actually impossible. Still, Command Seals exist to make miracles happen...

So, you'd end up using two Command Seals to save an enemy... Still sure you want to do it?

Archer in particular gets unique room scenes with F!Hakuno when on the Rin route, so that's why Nero got Rani.

Music: Battle - Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea

Use your Command Seal to keep us victorious until the SE.RA.PH's forced termination activates!

No.

The use of three wildcard commands if you don't use a Command Seal is probably meant to put you in a no-win state and force you to burn a second Command Seal, but lol skills.

Just keep the fact that we still have two Command Seals left in the back of your mind for now.

Damnit, we'll be caught in it...! She's going to melt the Arena down before the SE.RA.PH logs us out!

Next time: We clown around a bit.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 23, 2023

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Now the question is, is that foreshadowing for "the game will acknowledge that you have two command seals available and something will change" or "lol the game didn't bother to account for the idea that you could do that"? The latter seems more likely given the effort on display for branches thus far.

At least Archer is entertaining as usual. He didn't protest nearly as much as I thought about the idea of saving one of them.

Something just occurred to me. Maybe another reason they decided to go with the "hide the opponent" route when you face Rin/Rani is that, facing Rin with Archer, he should know exactly who Lancer is already--hiding the opponent sidesteps that a bit.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update C - About the projection magic

This update covers the events of Update XXXII to XLII.

On the plus side, we've finally hit the big 1-0-0!

On the down side, we still have over half this playthrough left to go.

Right now, I'm trying to come to terms with how hopelessly naïve my Master is for helping an enemy.

Meaning, he's still angry.

Maybe you can explain to me why saying this enemy was so important that you used a Command Seal?! *Sigh* Never mind. At least spare me the cheap philanthropy. In this War, everyone but the victor—

At least we get to see this line again.

Hi Ronnie.

With an opponent like that, you won't show unnecessary sympathy. Whatever she is, she's dangerous.

Music: School I

In fact, maybe you should go and visit the poor girl. Seeing her might cheer you up a bit.

The magi who entered just for kicks are long gone. All that's left are class A magi and serial killers. Both of which happen to be my areas of expertise when it comes to hardcore, and legal I might add, rear end-kicking.

~

You ready to head to the Arena? I am. No sense in agonizing over killing our opponent this time.

Get Archer's initial and generic chat for the week.

Talk to Rin.

...That can't be it. Whatever the case, it's obvious she's more than a mere mortal.

Go get the murder pendant from Rani-poo poo I already did that joke last time.

And off to the Arena.

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

We can't risk coming into contact with them. So, let's put on our invisibility cloaks, huh?

Gain a level.

Run into Ronnie.

And leave.

To get so thrilled about receiving charity from an enemy Master isn't exactly sane. You might pick up some information by consorting with the enemy...but I don't think that's your game. Anyway, it would be a smart move to ask her about the magic distortions.

Hakuno has a bad dream.

There's more important things to think about. Like what Rani gave you, and that burst of magic.

Talk to Rani.

Talk to Rin.

Gain a rank in both Strength and Defense.

And back to the Arena.

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - First Floor

Level.

We finally nabbed the Trigger. But really, who are those two? The Holy Grail sure picked us a weird opponent.

Grab the Trigger.

And back out.

Talk to Leo.

If your memory is shot, you can either try to fill it somehow or ask someone to help you jar it a little. The magus in the nurse's office may be a waste of oxygen, but she does know a lot. Try talking to her.

Archer may be onto something. Talking to others might give me some insight into my true self. For now, I should go to the nurse's office. I want to check in on Rin, and maybe pick up some info as well.

There's no need to go out of your way to find danger. Facing enemy Masters is hazardous enough. Although far be it from me to suggest that you stop seeking out new and more powerful enemies to fight. Just be careful that your bloodlust doesn't blow up in your face.

Get an optional chat for our first Nephilim kill.

Team up with Rin.

Get another Skill.

Wing of the Crane is Archer's main damage move. It trades out the debuffs on the Red Hounds, but scales based on your Projection stacks.

He did say "Divine Aegis." There's no proof yet, but as Archer says, that Servant's identity may be linked to some religion.

Run into Ronnie.

In.

And test out Archer's new Skill.

Decent damage.

But what about with two stacks?

drat damage variance...

What about more stacks?

Much better.

With Wing's high cost, the best way to use it is to hold off until you can hit 5 stacks of Projection before spamming it, sticking to Red Hound until then.

Done.

Hey, if that's the only issue, you're golden...

Have another dream.

Talk to Rin.

And get Archer's yellow chat.

Because of that, the atmosphere in my room is more relaxed than usual. I feel like I can actually talk. It's not like I've been waiting for the right moment to bring this up or anything, but...

Correction: one of Archer's yellow chats.

Like with Tamamo, Archer has exclusive content based on Hakuno's gender. But while all Tamamo got was a new dialogue choice with F!Hakuno in the first week, Archer gets entirely new yellow chats if you're playing as F!Hakuno and go on the Rin route. In fact, this chat didn't even trigger until I had talked with Rin just now!

Oh, I so called that.

...Well, it's not a bad idea to have a friend your age, but given the circumstances... Try not to get too close.

I sense that someone's dodging the issue. This is just my opinion, but Archer seems to act pointedly disinterested toward Rin Tohsaka. That points to him being either wary of her or interested in her.

Technically true!

Besides, have you seen Rin Tohsaka respond to me much differently than anyone else?

...When you put it like that, I guess I ought to drop the subject. I'm sure that Archer is interested in her, but Rin Tohsaka doesn't so much as bat an eyelash when she sees him. What could that mean...?

So she's your type, huh?

The first two give the same result.

Methinks he dost protest too much. Look at him clenching his fist and furrowing his brow like some kind of cheesy manga hero.

Hrmm... Uh, I apologize. I'm not usually so imnature.

Oh, don't worry. You're normally plenty childish. ...Yeah, I'd better not say that. Fortunately, Archer chooses that moment to clear his throat.

Listen, Master. I have a thing for women who are livewires, but even I have my limits. That girl's got enough ego to fill a concert hall, and that's not exactly a turn-on. I bet she kept her Servant on their feet. If you were a man, we could talk for hours about this, but seeing as how that's not the case... My type would be more...

Actually, never mind. I have a feeling that no matter what I say, I'll be digging my own grave.

Pretty much. The air curves he just played on looked awful familiar.

The joke here is that Archer is implying that Hakuno is his type, and caught himself at the last moment.

Once a harem protagonist, always a harem protagonist, I see.

...We should drop this, Master. Since we have to work together, I recommend we drop this topic.

~

...Argh, if only I had more proof!

Although I want to keep questioning Archer, he's too much of a prude to want to talk about it. I'll have to wait until I have some solid evidence to interrogate him.

Next time: We shoo out the clowns.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 23, 2023

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Even as a heroic spirit it seems Shirou Emiya is still an awkward idiot about some things. Also, I swear for God knows what reason I'm hearing Archer in my head voiced by the person who does him in the UBW Abridged series, which feels very appropriate here.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update CI - Murder at the empty mansion

This update covers the events of Update XLII to XLIV.

And as Servant information is being offered as a reward, we have no choice but to win.

Go start the hunting challenge.

And Arena.

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - Second Floor

Earn as many points as you can without consuming your strength. So, don't engage the enemy Master. Let's get this over with quickly, but not recklessly. Ready?

For your acts of aggression, I will crush you!

mORe! MoRE!

Gain a level.

Finish the contest.

Phew, and that's a cipher key in the bag. Just checking, do you have all the Triggers you need? You'll be in trouble if you don't acquire both. Don't think you're above checking on your status.

Trigger.

One more level.

Done.

But to put your accomplishment in perspective, that is but half of the objects available...more or less.

Sorry, but you're light-years away from being a true collector, so don't go feeling too good about yourself.

This optional chat is from getting half of all the chests in the game.

Talk to Rin.

Spend SP.

And back to the Arena.

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - Second Floor

We still have some hunting left to do, so let's get this over with as quickly as possible.

k

You're a fake Heroic Spirit, too? Tell me, did becoming one warp your perspective, or did you start crazy? Either way, you're a monster now. Lucky for us, a good old monster fight is what we've been craving!

The people who couldn't understand him called him a monster. Hating is easier than communicating, you know. Master, I think this guy needs a new eulogy. Let's make that happen for him, huh?

Done.

Get this week's decor.

Day 6 holds Archer's actual yellow chat.

Vampires were immortalized in the 20th century horror pantheon, but they're relatively new monsters. At least, the modern conception of vampires is new, though similar monsters have always existed. The particular image of vampires as lords of the night comes to us courtesy of Bram Stoker. This conception, of course, is as fictional as the Dracula novel. Bram Stoker's vampires immediately rewrote the public's imagination when it came to "bloodsuckers." How ironic that vampires surpassed the popularity of werewolves and witches, which are older.

Vampires are based on werewolves— It's a fine example of the successor usurping the predecessor. Our opponent this time is the model for the modern vampire. Though I imagine our opponent is more Bram Stoker's Dracula than the historical Vlad III.

Does he just want to rail on our opponent, or is Archer in a good mood? He's unusually chatty. Bram Stoker is an Irish novelist and short story writer who became popular during the 19th century. His best seller, Dracula, reinvented vampires as blood-sucking aristocrats just in time for the 20th century. But, why did Archer bring up a history of vampires now?

Well, I'd feel bad if you had some misconceptions about vampires that I could have cleared up. You never know when a little bit of trivia might come in handy.

He was trying to protect me from making a faux pas if I ever end up having small talk about vampires?

Anything is possible in fiction, even things that aren't possible in the real world. How ignorant you come off to people around you is none of my concern.

After clearing his throat, Archer quiets down. My guess must have been right.

Talk to Rin.

Spend SP.

Fun fact: After the forced fight yesterday, you can just leave. Nothing forces you to stick around and kill every Carnivore.

I know you're concerned, but you've survived a long time sans body. Concentrate on the battle ahead. Let's make this battle a quick one. This character drives me bonkers.

Matrix.

Level.

Fight.

It isn't your taste that's lacking, but your common sense. What you consider food is an abomination. Master, please point out that her taste would rate negative stars...if they even gave those out.

Video: Week 4 Elimination Battle (Archer ver.)

Your Servant says nothing during the pre-fight bit.

Silence. That is god's love. God eats the lambs full of love. I will give my dearest what she needs.

...i'Ll EaT yOU!

Vlad was already the weaker of the two Week 4 bosses, and that was before I got the Staff of Rebuke and Demon of Atlas.

It doesn't go well for him.

Don't look so put out. As powerful as he is, you've both won the same number of rounds. You're not the same person you were in the first round. You've gotten me to use much of my power.

Archer's brow is furrowed.

Or, am I that undependable? I thought my actions had lived up to your expectations.

My Servant appears to be sulking.

...Never mind. Now's not the time for chit-chat. To be honest with you, this fight is 70 percent his. But, you've made much progress. Don't shirk on your training, and you might win this yet. Let's get going. We'll get the better of him.

Talk to Rin.

When going up against most Masters, you'll be overwhelmed if you try to go toe-to-toe. So- You'll want to use strategy when facing a superior foe, being sure to take full advantage of your skills.

~

I guessed we'd have to go up against this guy eventually. Luckily we didn't get him until the fifth round. Although you still have a lot to learn, you've managed to take out a number of other magi to get this far. You should be able to handle anything he throws at you. We need to gird ourselves for the trials ahead. This is what some would call a turning point, I believe.

Talk to Archer twice.

No, I'm letting my imagination run wild. But I will act as your shield if need be. Let us go.

Talk to him again by the Arena.

And off to get ganked.

No...it's just my imagination. But, I have a bad feeling. Let's proceed, but with caution.

Where's your Servant? Or are you just taking a stroll through the Arena? Wait, don't tell me—

A splendid guess. Just a little slow though, sport.

Urgh—!!

Is the enemy Servant an Assassin? But, the way he erased his presence didn't seem like thaumaturgy...

Archer haltingly gets up. It's clear that he is worse for the wear.

I'm sorry, Master... I won't blame you for thinking that I'm useless now...

Archer winces as he clutches his chest. Just keeping his composure through the pain is causing beads of sweat to form on his brow.

I'm eating crow now, telling YOU to be vigilant against surprise attacks in the Arena...

...No, this is my fault. Julius knows he's a better Master than me, so he knew he could get away with lying about not attacking us in the preparation period. Julius is wrong about one thing. His tactics shouldn't change in relation to his opponent's level. He should have wiped us out from the start instead of toying with us.

...I highly doubt I can get my magic circuits functioning properly before the Elimination Battle. But that doesn't mean I can't fight. I'll keep doing what I do best. You... You just keep your own safety in mind, Master.

It seems to take all of Archer's energy just to draw the breath to speak those words. He still wants to fight. If that's what he wants, I can't bring myself to argue with him. His iron determination isn't from a sense of pride as a Heroic Spirit, but from his deep devotion to the one who commands him. I have to be at least as earnest as Archer, and find a way out of this predicament...!

Next time: Turns out that my actions have consequences.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 23, 2023

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I wonder how a 'canon' run of this game would go- that is to say, a run where you can't raise a Servant's stats higher than their official parameters. Probably not too great considering all three of our options have canonically low Strength and Endurance.

Just a thought that occurred to me seeing how high you've booster Archer's Strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

serefin99 posted:

I wonder how a 'canon' run of this game would go- that is to say, a run where you can't raise a Servant's stats higher than their official parameters. Probably not too great considering all three of our options have canonically low Strength and Endurance.

Just a thought that occurred to me seeing how high you've booster Archer's Strength.

Considering a canon run would mean Archer's Strength would cap out at around week 2 and none of his skills scale off Magic, very poorly.