Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I love on 'Jay Leno's Garage' how he'll say, when he's about to open the hood on some car, "Now this engine bay is not pristine, because I drive this thing every week." and then the engine of this 90 year old car is cleaner than the inside of my fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've always stuck to .22LR. Effortless fun to shoot for all ages, versatile for hunting/survival/SHTF, cheap, easy to find, and you can carry 1,000 rounds of it in your backpack no sweat.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I always think IKEA stuff is only meant for wherever you put it together. If it survives even one move it's a bonus, but not expected. I just wish the nearest store wasn't a 3 hour drive from me, or that they'd properly do online shopping. Last I looked people seem to make a decent side hustle living near an IKEA store and reselling their stuff on Amazon for a slight markup. If people are going to do that anyway, IKEA ought to do it themselves.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
He punched Jagger in the face once for referring to him as "my drummer". "I'm not your drummer, you're my singer!" he's supposed to have said. So he gets points from me in that regard. Jagger definitely seems punchable.

That being said, I can't remember ever specifically noting the drums on any Stones song in a positive or negative way. I think Charlie was in the Nick Mason school of solid workmanlike reliability.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've seen a few of the hard tops in the wild. I actually kind of like them! They have a friendly robot kind of futuristic look, like something you'd see on an EV. Maybe they remind me of the Rivian.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What if Counterstrike skin but real

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It doesn't matter now but the time is coming when they'll be so heavily dependent on the data collecting and advertising revenue that they won't allow the TVs to even work at all unless they're connected to the internet. Not to mention that you won't have any content to watch unless you've hoarded old physical media.

https://fortune.com/2013/04/30/sony-patent-is-hilarious-terrifying/amp/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You can still get dumb projectors that are nice. Earlier this year I got a nice (~$1,800) projector and a 12 foot mechanized screen and it's been the best A/V money I ever spent. Like going to the movies in my own house every night. Pretty soon I want to get one of those inflatable outdoor screens so we can have movie nights on the lawn when they weather permits. Let all the neighbors wander over and watch, party time.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have one of those new Chromecast With Google TV dongles and it's super frustrating because Google cheaped out on the internal storage to such an extent that I'm now having to uninstall apps just to update other apps, and I only have like 4 non-included apps installed to begin with. The Shield TV is way better on the other TV but a hard sell to other people for $200 for 2015 tech to watch TV.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Humphreys posted:

I bought 3 more Laserdiscs this week...

A few weeks back I heard someone relate the following as a truism: there are two kinds of Laserdisc players today: ones that are broken, and ones that have been repaired. Confirm/deny?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/unauthorized-bread-a-near-future-tale-of-refugees-and-sinister-iot-appliances/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
On your Android TV: https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTubeLegacy

On your phone: https://github.com/YTVanced/VancedManager

YMMV, warranties are void, etc

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One of the best meals we had on a recent vacation was a Five Guys burger at the Atlanta airport, but that may have been a case of hunger being the best spice as much as anything else. I will say the guy at the counter was way nicer and more chill than anybody has a right to expect a person working a fast food job in an airport with a constant 500 yard line of customers to be.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It was a decent value on a layover even at $11 with the airport markup because they gave you unlimited free refills, self-service. Also better value if you like all the fixings since they charge you the same whether you want them or not. If you're a 'meat and cheese only' guy it would be a bit of a rip.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The worst burger I ever had was a White Castle vending machine burger at a Greyhound bus station somewhere between Kansas and Indiana, which does go some way toward disproving the 'hunger = best spice' hypothesis. There was no amount of hunger-spice in the world that could make that thing good.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's hard to complain too much about price when even at the grocery store beef prices are loving insane. We basically never eat beef at home nowadays unless we find a big sale.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Where do y'all live that even Wal-Mart-tier 75/25 ground beef isn't at least $5.99/pound unless you buy it in the frozen pink-slime tube?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My observation on fast food restaurant quality from one restaurant to another is like some reverse nativism or something: like, if the staff of that restaurant are mostly young native-born Americans? The kind of people boomers imagine work in fast food? Prepare for your order to be wrong, subpar, and slow. But if the staff are middle-aged immigrants who speak to each other in something other than English? You're gonna have that food perfectly done in your hand before you can get the change in your wallet. My hypothesis is that it's nothing to do with race or language, but rather that American kids maybe think they're too good to do a low-status job well, since they've been told their whole lives that "flipping burgers" is the worst job you can have.

We even noticed this between different shifts at the same McDonald's. Like, the early early morning crew at our local were a bunch of middle-aged ladies who spoke spanish with each other. They would have the bag with your food hanging out the second window before you were done paying at the first, exactly correct. The evening shift, though, were all American teens and they were slow as gently caress and constantly screwed it up.

Maybe if we paid people a decent living wage and had good universal healthcare then people even in jobs like that could take pride in their work, since they were treated with respect, like human beings? :iiam:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

everdave posted:

i am not sure if i need clown face paint or not - i noticed my horrible ex wife had bald tires (bought this prius new cash in 2016) so knowing she would claim she had no money or time (despite having no job) i got 4 brand new tires. and told the boys at the tire shop to put them on and i'd come pay them after. she has not picked up the tires after 3 days.

Is she driving your kids around in this car or are you just the nicest sucker person on the planet?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That's rough. That would make me insane too.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That's wild. I live in Oklahoma and have been fairly religious about wearing a mask except for the brief period after getting vaxxed in April when it seemed like it was dying down, and no one has ever said poo poo to me or even looked at me funny.

I actually got both Moderna shots back at the start and just recently acquired both Pfizer shots too because gently caress it, why not. Had no side effects from the Pfizer, either.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I mentioned earlier I think that I got both the Moderna and the Pfizer, so nobody could say I'm antivax, but after one of those 4 shots the arm where they stuck me was loving useless for like 5 days. I told my wife I felt like Bob Dole. It was bad enough that I couldn't lift weights and if it had been my mouse arm I might have had to call into work.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

sharkytm posted:

My friend was vaccinated in March.

LOL and he's still complaining?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My nephew went to the ER early this morning with what turned out to be a bowel obstruction, but there were no rooms in the hospital for him to be admitted. They're still looking for one in the city for him right now. Get loving vaccinated, assholes, and give your family and friends a dope slap if they won't. Enough loving around.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Labor Day is always a good time to think about getting a flu shot, too.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So I was on the highway yesterday when I passed a man and woman riding one of those huge tricycle cruisers, with the big saddlebags and all, and then pulling a small trailer, and I'm like... I think bikes are cool and everything, but at that point why would you not just DRIVE A CAR?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

F, good luck man that's a rough surgery. If you or he wants to talk to someone about what the expect, recovery, etc let me know...I went through it in April.

Thanks. He was born with gastroschisis, and he's a grown man now, so I'm afraid this sort of thing is old hat for him. He's dealt with random GI bullshit and multiple surgeries. But this most recent thing started about midnight and it's almost noon now and they still haven't found him a room. Still sitting in the ER with an NG tube in. :ohdear:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My nephew they couldn't find a hospital room for yesterday ended up being taken straight to emergency surgery in the afternoon, which seemed to go well, and he's recovering today.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Big Taint posted:

Delete Facecook. Everyone. They don’t have anything you can’t find somewhere else, and nothing they have excuses the bullshit they perpetuate. #fuckzuck

This isn't actually true if you belong to local gaming / religious / parents / cars & coffee / etc groups that ONLY organize on Facebook now. But there isn't any reason to post or browse any more than that.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Guess what happens if you're the only person in the group who won't use the thing everyone else uses? If your answer is "Everyone else changes their routine to accommodate you" then I wish I was as cool and popular as you. If your answer is "Well gently caress 'em I'll find a new group, with blackjack and hookers" then, again, I wish was as cool and popular as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yes because one person sending a text saying "hey man meet us here at this date/time" is so drat difficult and way beyond the scope of a normal FB group routine :rolleyes:

"Everyone else changes their routine to accommodate you," then.

quote:

Obviously if you still love FB and can't imagine not

:jerkbag: