Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I think the notion is that thermal plants burn the city's garbage as fuel to generate power.

Afaik they're actually meant to be just futuristic (in terms of efficiency) waste heat recycling system, running thermoelectric generators via the waste heat of the neighbourhood they're in.

Poil posted:

Personally I utterly despise the awful field puzzles in these games as the worst thing they every added to the series.

You'll love to hear that 1800 has partially ditched it again. Animal farms still have it there, but crops farms only need X tiles covered in fields while giving you total freedom other than requiring all of it to be connected to the farm.

Magni fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Into the Depths

Top of the order for today is simple, building another building module chain in Carcosa. I told you at the start we'd be burning through these fast and that three chains is normal for how I operate a large settlement.

Hmmm. Strange. This isn't how I laid things out on what I am now calling Eureka. Same buildings, just... slightly different places. Odd. Oh well, two of Yana's engineers are overdue coming back from leave on Carcosa and she wants me to find them.

Simple enough, I send them on the Arturo over to the Biosphere.

In the meantime, development on Eureka continues. Dexter here is more comparable to Billy Bob in terms of his needs, rather than Scruffy. There are only three tiers of Techs compared to the four of the Ecos and Tycoons. Fish of course is already taken care of, but Dexter also wants functional food. This is going to require an entirely new type of settlement: the kind of algae popular for eating in SAAT is farmed underwater.

I dispatch the Nereid west-northwest of Carcosa with a cargo hold of building modules and tools. These large underwater plateaus are shallow enough for a wide variety of agricultural and industrial developments, and in most ways operate similarly to islands above the waves. You can see icons where fertilities would be on a land island. Underwater these represent both agricultural fertilities and rare mineral resources – this one has algae. Simply submerge a submarine with building modules and tools where you want to build...

And an underwater warehouse will be constructed, along with a surface platform above. Underwater warehouses project a building radius just like land facilities, and now it's time to build an aquafarm for the algae so popular in SAAT as 'functional food.' Much more glamorous than just eating seaweed like I did growing up. Site Four is founded.

The aquafarm is built, and now to connect it to the warehouse. On the Techs tab, select the weird building next to Dexter's face to bring up a list of underwater buildings.

Aqua-rails function like roads underwater, and are used in the same way.

Next to the aquafarm now sits a functional food factory, turning the plebian meals of the Drowning refugees into the latest trendy foodstuff among the Tech crowd. This pushes Site Four's energy demands into the redline, and for the moment the only source of power beneath the waves is tidal power.

Site Four is now producing functional food in good order, ready for shipping to Eureka.

A basic freight ship will suffice for the time being.

While the ship builds, I notice that our income has dipped into the red - the Techs and their toys are expensive! Nothing for it but to keep expanding Carcosa and making the most of what space left the city center can reach.

The Gotheburg joins our merchant fleet and is immediately assigned to haul functional food from Site Four to Eureka.

Back in the green as Carcosa grows.

But, it's time. A second city center goes down on Carcosa, expanding the city proper.

We have our first disaster! A contagious strain of piscine flu breaks out... literally across the road from a hospital. The epidemic is contained and quelled immediately.

I decide it's time to start producing the Techs' unique construction material: carbon fiber. The first stage in producing carbon fiber is drilling for oil. If I'd partnered with Global Trust, the Tycoons have their own way of producing oil. Starting with the Eden Initiative, my only choice is to build an oil rig. If you were wondering about that large hole in the ground on Site Four near the warehouse with a mining slot symbol, that marks a prime location for an oil rig.

The oil rig is built and connected to the underwater warehouse. For whatever reason, no one in the world cares about underwater ecology, so underwater plateaus have no ecobalance to worry about.

The Gotheburg's manifest is updated to also haul crude oil from Site Four to Eureka.

Oil, of course, must be refined before it's useful to anyone. One oil rig supplies one refinery at perfect efficiency.

Oil is now being shipped to Eureka, but the carbon fiber factory also requires coal. I establish a mine locally. A single carbon fiber factory only uses 50% of a coal mine's output, so for now Eureka will be overproducing coal. This is nothing to worry about, we'll make use of that other 50% of coal production sooner or later.

Eureka is now producing carbon fiber! Carbon fiber is ubiquitous in high-tech (and Tech) construction, so in all likelihood this is just the first production chain feeding Eureka.

Back on Carcosa, buildings have again shifted locations while my attention was elsewhere. Hmmm. Oh well, the city's grown enough to warrant its own branch of the Eden Initiative Congress! This is Manuel's final need.

I am not, however, ascending Manuel just yet. The final tier of Eco citizen awaits, but their needs are predictably on the complex side and I'd like to lay some more groundwork first.

Besides adding another fishery since Carcosa needs it, I take advantage of a spare mine site for the new ecobalance building Manuel makes available: the monitoring station. Monitoring stations are efficient: twice the cost of a weather control station for almost three times the ecobalance effect. The primary drawbacks of the monitoring station are that they take up a limited mine slot, and they're power hungry. I deem these acceptable tradeoffs for Carcosa.

Carcosa, population 2,084

Eureka, population 110

Paraiso, no permanent residents

Le Fumier, no permanent residents

Site Four, no permanent residents

Taking suggestions for the name of Site Four!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cythereal posted:

Taking suggestions for the name of Site Four!

Somewhat following the Carcosa theme, I suggest Devil Reef.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Sealab, clearly

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Sealab 2021

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Due to a clerical error, Site Four has been renamed Sea Four. Rumours of its explosive potential are greatly overstated though

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Due to a clerical error, Site Four has been renamed Sea Four. Rumours of its explosive potential are greatly overstated though

You misspelled Pod 6.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Incidentally, islands in this game come with pre-generated names when you first settle them. The original names for the islands so far:

Carcosa: Helios
Site One/Paraiso: Megavolt
Site Two/Le Fumier: Fortune City
Site Three/Eureka: New Cardiff
Site Four/???: Rock Bottom

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Atlantis for site four because of an overabundance of originality and creativity from me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The next update has been recorded.

There will be layout optimization.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

"So I spent yesterday evening drinking with some friends and the rest of the night is a blur. But when I woke up the next morning all the layouts had suddenly changed. Weird."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

The next update has been recorded.

There will be layout optimization.

Yay!

Looking at this makes me simultaneously delighted because "Yay, farm tetris!" and organization always looks nice and clean, and yet wince in pain as 2070 has neither the "Move building" functions so any mistakes had to be torn down/rebuilt every time you're off by one. Also you lack the lovely tools to tell you how much your farms are producing that 2205 and 1800 have, which is made infuriating because Coffee and Sugar react to enviroscore at different rate! :argh:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Tech Advance

Today's work begins with setting aside a large area around Carcosa's new area of development. This is going to be the location of Carcosa's monument, one of my primary goals in this sector, though it will be some time before that project breaks ground.

For now, I dispatch the Arturo to the Vortex. The lack of sugar fertility on Eureka is, as I said, a solvable problem. This is one solution, buying seeds from a neighbor.

Sent to Eureka's warehouse, the seeds socket in just like the improved power turbines did at Carcosa. This does occupy one of Eureka's upgrade slots, but I deem this an acceptable sacrifice for the convenience of producing the Techs' next need all in one place.

As you can see, the ? mark for Eurkea's vacant fertility slot has been replaced by sugar beets. Eureka is now ready for production of energy drinks.

Now to start optimizing the layout. Energy drinks are produced from caffeine and sugar, produced in turn by a coffee farm and a sugar beet farm respectively. One of each together feed an energy drink factory. Seen here is the energy drink factory itself, a sugar beet farm, and a depot. This is the start.

A coffee farm completes the chain. The observant of you may realize that there's a problem here: the depot has no road connection to the farms.

However, depots and warehouses can be upgraded more than once. The third stage, as seen here, comes with a flying freight loader. This depot can service this entire production chain.

The beauty of this particular layout is that it's not just one chain. The setup can be mirrored to support another (in fact, three more). However, that many energy drinks are far beyond current needs, so let me show you a little trick.

Farms and factories cost maintenance, even in sleep mode. Fields don't. A second chain's fields are here and waiting, I can simply build the actual farm and factory buildings to immediately make use of the pre-placed fields.

Once the farms and factory warm up, Eureka will be well supplied with energy drinks. Personally I think they taste vile beyond words, but the Techs - including, lamentably, my wife - live on this stuff.

I continue to expand Carcosa horizontally, but spy a new quest.

Scruffy has eyes on a refugee ship that foundered in a storm on its way to Carcosa. I dispatch the Arturo for search and rescue.

These quests are quite simple. The Arturo rounds up the lifeboats and brings them to Carcosa.

Back on Eureka, the Techs are now caffeinated and a very important structure is ready for construction, the laboratory.

When you put down a laboratory, make sure it's in range of a fire station. Trust me.

The laboratory is much more than Dexter's activity needs building. The Techs use the laboratory's facilities to develop all manner of gadgets to help your sector. Many of these are items that provide temporary buffs to units or islands, and there's a wide selection of drills to tap fresh mineral deposits on islands, like limestone or copper. What I'm interested in immediately is the emergency equipment. Remember the oil rig I built last time on Devil Reef? Drilling for oil isn't the safest business in the world, and when an accident happens on an oil rig you have only a limited amount of time to get emergency equipment to the scene before you have a major disaster on your hands. I always keep a ship equipped with emergency equipment at all times.

Devi offers a quest to build emergency equipment, too. Along with an effluent pump, which I'll hopefully never need. Effluent pumps are what you use to clean up the disaster that emergency equipment will hopefully prevent. Also, a word of warning: the laboratory's maintenance cost, power consumption, and ecobalance impact are magnified significantly when they're busy working! Be prepared.

It's been a while since we've looked at Paraiso, but the growth of Carcosa has resulted in a communicator shortage. It's a simple enough fix. I reactivate the second sand filter I built for glass production, build a new copper mine...

Which supplies two chip factories and thus two electronics factories. Carcosa is once again saturated with consumer electronics.

Oh boy. I am not looking forward to the mess ascending all these people is going to be. Yana interrupts with another quest, doing an ecological survey of some islands in the sector. She further requests that I supply meals for her survey crews. The Arturo sails again.

For this kind of quest, you load up a ship with the specified good and send them to each specified island. Wait for them to finish exploring, as marked by the binoculars symbol above the ship, and return to the sender once you've surveyed all the requested islands.

I build the effluent pump for Devi anyway to satisfy the quest, and recall the Nereid and Arturo to Eureka. Submarines can't carry emergency equipment and commando ships have only one upgrade slot, so I replace the auxiliary drive on the Arturo with the emergency equipment.

Ocean gliders are fast on their own. With the auxiliary drive installed, not much on the seas can outrun the Nereid.

But I can't keep putting this off. Hello, Douglas.

Carcosa, population 2,544

Eureka, population 210

Devil Reef, no permanent residents

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
After someone pinged me on discord about this, some OOC notes about how I'm playing and what my goals are:

Right now, I've just unlocked Eco Executives. I also have Tech Researchers ready to ascend. I think it's best for my goal with the LP to cover one subject at a time, so the next update (or two or three) is going to focus on the Eco Executives and getting them finished up to a population of 1,400 in preparation for the Eco monument.

After that, I'm going to work on the Techs, probably finishing Researchers so I can unlock the Academy and put it to work. Since the Academy is basically just a question of time and luck, I'm planning to do a completely OOC update covering research with the aim of completing a full suite of sector upgrades before starting work on the monument.

Tycoons will come after the Eco monument, since the Tech monument requires goods only produced at Tycoon Executives.

I hope this all makes sense!

And for a peek ahead, this is what building the Eco monument will require:

160 building modules
160 wood
160 glass
900 tools

And total will inflict -140 ecobalance (goes down to -40 when it's finished), -300 power, and -1k maintenance.

So, I've got my work cut out for me. And this is the cheapest of the monuments. :v:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
But what do the monuments do?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NewMars posted:

But what do the monuments do?

I was planning to address that when I start building them, but besides being the victory condition I set, the big thing the Eco and Tycoon monuments do is satisfy all the 'building radius' needs - the Eco one counts as a city center, concert hall, education network, and congress center in a very wide radius - I may end up demolishing the old city center once the monument is built.

The Tech one is different, and offers greater benefits in exchange for being even more costly to build.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So uh I can't help but notice that if any hostile player tried to attack any part of this delicate chain you'd easily find yourself in massive trouble. How is the combat in these games?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

So uh I can't help but notice that if any hostile player tried to attack any part of this delicate chain you'd easily find yourself in massive trouble. How is the combat in these games?

Awful in my opinion, which is why I'm doing an almost completely peaceful sandbox game instead of the campaign or having active other players on the map. You don't get the ability to build any armed ships at all until Employees, and don't get good ones until Engineers - I keep meaning to build one of the main class of Eco warships but haven't yet gotten around to it.

There's a surprisingly diverse range of units and tactics available, from many different kinds of surface vessels to submarines to aircraft of various kinds to nuclear weapons, and there's a lot of different upgrades and gadgets you can give them, including suicide bombs, cloaking devices, and the ability to capture enemy units.

I enjoy combat in Anno 2205 because it's completely siloed off from the building and trading, but in 2070 I hate combat and specifically set this game up to have almost none.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The ship-ship combat isn't bad, especially as there's a variety of surface, sub-surface, and air units and different ships are set up to be okay at different things. It's a step up from 1404 even. The actual conquest absolutely sucks. Better than 1404, yes, but having to bomb down every single building on an island is frustrating (especially against the AIs who cheat and straight up don't play the same game as the player).

2205 had the best combat of any Anno because as Cyth said it was off in it's own little corner doing its own thing.

1800 is solid as it's still on the map, but instead of having to play whack-a-mole with your bombers you basically siege the port for a while and if you manage to outlast/destroy the defenses and port buildings then you win and the entire island flips at once.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Neath Dark Waters

Well, I'm better prepared for the arrival of Douglas than I was for Manuel. Eco Executives are the final tier of Eden Initiative residents. Quite a house of cards we're building, no?

Ascension begins apace, but glass is becoming a problem. Fortunately, that's a problem easily addressed.

Recall how I set the excess sand filter, limestone quarries, and glassworks on Paraiso to sleep mode because I was producing too much glass? I wake up the facilities, immediately ramping up glass production substantially.

At this point in settlement development, crime tends to become a problem bigger than local security departments can handle. Police stations join hospitals and fire stations as the final disaster response building.

The first new need for Douglas is provided for mainly by underwater resources. I dispatch the Nereid to Site Five, an undersea plateau north of Carcosa. The two relevant 'fertilities' here are manganese nodules and diamonds.

One manganese excavator and a tidal generator to power it. Manganese excavators harvest manganese nodules from the sea floor.

One manganese excavator supplies two rare earth borers, which extract the rare earth elements from the nodules. The purpose of all of this? 3D projectors. Popular for cameras among the executive class in the Initiative, but holography is the latest trendy thing worldwide.

Diamond mining ain't what it used to be.

A new cargo liner leaves the shipyard at Carcosa while the facilities at Site Five spin up. The Dawn Treader will haul the rare earth elements and diamonds from Site Five to Carcosa. A cargo liner might seem like overkill, but I'm expecting to produce more here soon that will warrant a full cargo liner over a cheaper freight ship.

For God only knows what reason, the meat of the production chain for 3D projectors happens underwater but the plants that turn out the finished product can only be built on land.

Two rare earth borers and one diamond mine support two beamer plants to complete the chain. Note that this is not a 100% efficient chain! If I wanted total, 100% resource utilization efficiency, I would need 9 manganese excavators supplying 18 rare earth borers and 9 diamond mines to together supply 16 beamer plants. I, uh, am not going to do this.

Carcosa builds up. Note that I'm doing a lot of off-camera tinkering with ecobalance and power supply during this time.

As 3D projector production comes online, happiness and income climb.

So much so that Douglas' second new need, service robots, becomes available. This is going to take some doing. We've been making microchips for a while, but biopolymers are new, as is the corn needed to supply them. None of the islands I've settled so far have a fertility for corn.

I was taking this into account from the beginning. Carcosa still has a vacant fertility slot. Yana is selling corn seeds. However, the microchips needed for service bots are another matter. I've been producing them for some time on Paraiso, but I'd rather not dilute Paraiso's production or settle a new island just for this purpose. There is another way to produce microchips, but for that I need the Techs at a higher tier than they already are.

Enter Kim, Tech Researcher.

Kim's first new need is immunity drugs. Given how many Techs have compromised immune systems due to their experiments, SAAT subsidizes these 'miracle solutions' for their citizens.

While I prepare for that need, Scruffy interrupts me with a quest to repair another refugee ship that encountered trouble on its way to Carcosa. The Tierra del Fuego are treacherous waters.

This type of quest is quite simple, just deliver the requested goods to the target ship.

No sooner do I finish all available ascensions in Eureka than Ebashi offers me a quest to go exploring in the deep sea.

For this type of quest, you need a submarine with a spare equipment slot. Equip the searchlights, submerge, and travel to the designated area.

Turning on the searchlights illuminates a small area around the submarine. The quest does tell you roughly where the objects are, so you're not completely blind. I send the Nereid back to Ebashi once it finds all the critters he wants.

Back to immunity drugs, curiously neither resource involved requires fertilities so I return to Devil Reef. Step one, a coral farm.

Step two, a pair of gene farm laboratories. The idea of farming genes via bacterial mats weirded me out intensely when I first heard about it, but my wife assures me it's completely safe if not particularly sanitary.

The Gotheburg is retired from the Devil Reef-Eureka supply route now that coral and enzymes now need to be shipped as well. I instead assign the newly build cargo liner Sargasso.

Much like the 3D projectors, the final step of producing immunity drugs can only be built on land. Also, notice our income! Executives earn their keep!

Eureka is now comfortably supplied with immunity drugs.

Eureka will never grow as large as Carcosa, but I think the nerds are bedding in nicely.

Carcosa, population 3,089

Eureka, population 810

Site Five, no permanent residents

If anyone has a name suggestion for Site Five, feel free to offer it. Otherwise I'll probably take one of the Site Four name suggestions.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Diamonds are an exec's best friend for site five, if it will fit.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Also, notice our income! Executives earn their keep!

Well now we know this is all just fantasy.

Snark aside, I'm enjoying the LP.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Call site five Unbreakable because diamonds, ect.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, the beamer plant resource needs are kinda uniquely borked up. Then again, overproducing rare earth and diamonds slightly doesn't hurt, especially when Trenchcoat is around to buy them.

Magni fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 22, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Someone asked me on Discord for a breakdown of the goods I'm producing and where, for an idea of how complex this game has gotten.

So in total, I'm producing:

Granules: Carcosa, Paraiso, Eureka
Building Modules: Carcosa, Paraiso, Eureka
Fish: Carcosa, Eureka
Tea: Carcosa
Iron Ore: Carcosa
Coal: Carcosa, Eureka
Iron: Carcosa
Wood: Carcosa, Paraiso, Eureka
Vegetables: Paraiso
Rice: Carcosa
Health Food: Carcosa
Sand: Paraiso
Copper: Paraiso
Microchips: Paraiso
Communicators: Paraiso
Weapons: Carcosa
Limestone: Paraiso
Glass: Paraiso
Fruit: Le Fumier
Milk: Le Fumier
Bio Drinks: Le Fumier
Manganese Nodules: Site Five
Rare Earth Elements: Site Five
Diamonds: Site Five
3D Projectors: Carcosa
Crude Oil: Devil Reef
Oil: Eureka
Carbon Fiber: Eureka
Algae: Devil Reef
Functional Food: Devil Reef
Sugar: Eureka
Caffeine: Eureka
Energy Drinks: Eureka
Coral: Devil Reef
Enzymes: Devil Reef
Immunity Drugs: Eureka

See what I mean about this game being a bit much? :v: And yet, I find it's not actually overwhelming in practice because you build it all one step at a time. It's a complex game with a ton of moving parts, but I actually find it quite relaxing - most updates have taken 30-45 minutes to play.

And, frankly, it's a huge relief to be LPing a game that I actually find fun instead of a chore. I want to play, record, and write updates. Quite a different from Star Trek Online. :)

Edit: Also, have an update by update view of Carcosa so far.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 23, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cythereal posted:

BEEG LEEST

That list is just another thing making me want to LP Anno 1800. I'd love to compare the mess with what 1800 ends up with due to having 4 zones and way too many DLCs, especially once you get Tycoons rolling and Genius tier techs. I imagine 2205's item list is pretty big too with 3 distinct zones to work in, 4 if you have the Tundra DLC (Orbit is a 5th zone but really doesn't have any of it's own resources). Question: does Tycoon Concrete count as a separate resource or is it just "Opaque Glass" since it literally uses the same resources and same ratio as Eco Glass? :v:

What program(s) are you using to take/edit pictures? I'd have to figure out videos because 1800 is likely done with with it's campaign since it leads into a sandbox anyways and some of the story is told via videos and dramatic panorama shots.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

What program(s) are you using to take/edit pictures?

Steam for screenshots, Paint for editing. Simple and it works. :)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Paint.net is pretty decent for this kind of work, specifically the ability to move the bounding box for a selection before cropping or copying.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Site Five? More like Pod Six.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The next update took a good two or three times longer than normal to record. One of the classic Anno experiences is understanding that something isn't working right and trying to diagnose what's breaking. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Winding Road

Our first port of call today is formerly known as Site Five, named Adamant by a suggestion from other channels. This 'mining slot' you can see underwater... isn't exactly a normal resource. This was a pre-Drowning settlement now lost to the deep, and we can make use of it.

However, it's out of range of the warehouse. The only solution, for now, is to build a ridiculously oversized underwater depot to expand the building range. I will be very happy when the Techs provide a better solution to this sort of thing...

And I'm immediately distracted by news of a disaster on Carcosa, a serious crime incident. I check that it's in range of a police station and continue on my way.

Then the Techs on Eureka threaten a revolt if I don't build an Academy. Revolts like this are not a joke to be dismissed under normal circumstances, unfortunately.

The big new building is the Academy. Now, this is in fact an extraordinarily useful building, but I won't touch on it further this update. The Academy deserves, and will get, an update (probably the next one, in fact!) dedicated to explaining how it works and putting the Techs to use.

Back to Adamant, we now have a way to produce microchips directly, no sand or copper required. 20th/21st century settlements are treasure troves of electronics that can be reclaimed and recycled for our own use.

Adamant is now producing a limitless supply of microchips. The primary drawback of producing microchips like this is the far higher maintenance cost of this one building over the entire microchip production chain and a freighter to ship them, but I find the convenience here worthwhile.

While I'm here, I decide to increase carbon fiber production on Eureka by building an oil rig on Adamant.

The Gotheburg is currently unoccupied, so I assign it to hauling oil from Adamant to Eureka.

Meanwhile, our first true warship leaves the shipyard. The Vasa here is an Ahuizotl class hovercraft, the primary warship of the Eden Initiative and a substantial improvement to our combat power over the Arturo Pratt. Hovercraft are the fastest ships on the world's oceans today, and armed with potent autocannons equally effective against surface and air targets. True, they're not well armored compared to other warships, but hovercraft excel at raiding, hit and run tactics, and generally being pests. I don't have any great need for the Vasa yet, but it will be nice to have something with actual teeth when it is called for.

Back on Adamant, the next step towards producing service bots now that microchips are taken care of is biopolymer production, which requires algae and corn.

For maximal efficiency, two algae farms are constructed.

The Dawn Treader's manifest is updated to haul both microchips and algae to Carcosa.

Four corn farms are now in order. Start with a fully upgraded depot.

Behold, efficient corn.

One aquafarm and two corn farms supply one biopolymer plant. Biopolymers are a fantastic building material for the modern age, renewable and environmentally friendly. I asked my wife whether there's any promise of using biopolymers for large scale construction, but she says that the technology is probably a century or so away. Right now it's still too delicate for heavy construction, suitable for electronics but not industrial use. Pity.

Two robotics plants complete the chain. This will, sadly, not pay for itself, our income suffered badly for this trouble. Bastard Douglas and his pals.

I check on Douglas, and he's overall happy but food is becoming an issue.

The next stop, Paraiso. I notice that Paraiso is capped on wood storage, so I offer some for sale.

More health food and more pasta production is constructed.

Carcosa is growing from building new houses, but houses aren't ready to ascend and I'm not sure why. This is a problem every governor goes through at some point, usually more than once: everything looks like it's running fine, the numbers crunch well, but something... just isn't quite working.

I'm going to spare you almost an hour of looking around, experimenting, building, and ascending trying to figure out what's going on. My best guess is that tea is just plain an issue and I don't know why. I should be overproducing tea, pretty substantially, but it just... isn't reaching as many people as it should. I don't leave the Leviathan, but I know how the streets of Carcosa change when I'm not looking, and I'm no longer amused. What bothers me is the accounts I get from residents, about how you always leave a kettle of hot tea at the crossroads that add up to more than three hundred and sixty degrees. The things that walk behind you on the shifting streets, they say, are particularly fond of mint tea. Well, whatever works.

Carcosa finally hits the magic number of 1,400 executives, enough to build the Eden Initiative monument. Yana confirms and offers me a long-term quest to do it. However, I will not start construction yet. I could, but it would press this entire settlement to the breaking point and turn into a mess of an endeavor. -140 ecobalance (-40 when finished), -300 power, and -1k maintenance are pretty drat substantial. There are ways to help with this, which will be the subject of the next update.

Carcosa, population 4,225

Eureka, population 810

Adamant, no permanent residents

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A goon pinged me on discord about something I should explain for this update.

I have, as of this update, fulfilled all of Douglas' needs. The Eco needs tree is complete. So why am I making less money now than I did at the start of the update?

What filling needs fundamentally does is increase citizen happiness. This both means that they pay more in taxes, and more people immigrate to the city. Not having a need met causes a marked hit to happiness. One subtle trick to this, however, is that citizens don't suffer happiness penalties for needs that haven't yet been unlocked by population growth. Citizens in Anno 2070 are by game mechanics surprisingly understanding about your city being too small to provide them with the luxuries to which they're accustomed. But once you're capable of providing those luxuries, your citizens expect them.

One interesting quirk to this system is that it means that promoting citizens doesn't always mean an increase in profits! Executives (and their Tech counterpart, Geniuses) are particularly bad about this. Building service bot production was in fact a fairly substantial net hit to my income, but not building it in favor of more horizontal expansion would have ultimately hurt worse towards my goal of reaching 1,400 Executives so I can build the Eco Monument. Completely satisfied Engineers can in fact be more profitable than unsatisfied Executives!

Making this more complicated is the fact that this is the Ecos I'm talking about. I've said before that Eco citizens respond very strongly to a high positive ecobalance, increasing your income substantially. On the baseline, with no ecobalance effects, Ecos straight up make you less money than Tycoons. If you've been watching my ecobalance rating on Carcosa, you'll note that I'm generally staying at the baseline. This is something I'm going to work to correct starting with the next update, which is going to focus on that shiny new Academy I built in this update. The Academy is a very, very powerful resource in 2070, if at times an infuriating, luck-based time sink, and for this reason my next update is probably going to be wholly out of character to explain what's going on here.

If all goes well, the Academy will let me show off some of the non-needs tools the Executives unlocked, which in turn will go a long way towards handling the 1k maintenance, 300 power, and up to -140 ecobalance building the Monument will involve.

Frankly, the Monument isn't remotely worth it. But it's big and looks pretty, and isn't that why we're here?

Oh, and I should note: this is the cheapest of the three monuments to build. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Preview for the next update, which is probably going to be delayed due to the sheer amount of work that's going to be involved. Y'all who have never played Anno 2070 have no idea how happy I am to be putting the Academy to work. Just look at the results of one upgrade: -40% maintenance costs on all wind turbines in the sector forever, and their exclusion radius is fully halved.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Research and Development

This calls for a purely out of character update. Sorry/congratulations. Today, I'm delving into the Academy.

The Academy exists to benefit your Ark's upgrades tab. As you can see, I don't have any right now - I would if I'd had Ark Storage on from the game creation. What makes Ark upgrades different from island upgrades is that Ark upgrades are sector-wide. Everything in the sector will benefit. The cost is that you have only a limited number of slots, separated by grade. The higher the stars, the more powerful the upgrade.

If you're a brand new player, note that you won't have all these slots unlocked. They're unlocked by playing the game in the career system, which I'll go over at some point in the future. The short version is just play the game a bunch to unlock account-wide benefits.

Two things to note right away about the Academy. First, the area of influence. The Academy meets no need for your citizens, but the number of Tech citizens in the Academy's area of influence increases research speed. In the bottom right corner, you can see a gear icon with 223%. This marks the increase in research speed from population.

Second, at the top of the menu are 'Basic research projects.' For a brand new player, you won't actually have any upgrades available to research. You need to conduct basic research to unlock formulas for a given type of building - seen here, ecobalance buildings. The available categories are production buildings, ecobalance buildings, energy generation, special buildings, public buildings, and units. In any form, basic research costs money but generates licenses. Provided you have the money, it is always worth keeping the Academy chugging on basic research to generate licenses. As we'll see, making stuff with the Academy costs licenses. A lot of them. I go through probably around five or six thousand licenses during this update.

Another thing you can do with the Academy is create seeds! This is an alternative to buying seeds from NPCs, and despite the different description work exactly the same. You can also make drills to create stocks of raw materials on islands. The Laboratory can do this latter thing, too, but in much smaller amounts.

These, and many other projects at the Academy, cost microchips. This is why I wasn't bothered about Adamant's electronics recycler producing more microchips than I need. The Nereid shuttles probably over a thousand units of microchips to Eureka during this update.

For producing actual upgrades, though, go down to the category of building you want, and that unfolds a menu showing all the buildings and units the Academy can research upgrades for. Not every building or unit can be upgraded, notably farms, factories, and most underwater buildings can't receive any upgrades.

First on my shopping list for today: the Super Rotor. This is what finally makes wind turbines into something practical and easy to work with, and this particular formula isn't unlocked by research at all. It's awarded from the career system by buddying up to the Eden Initiative. The Super Rotor reduces maintenance costs for all wind turbines (remember, this is sector-wide) by 30% while reducing their exclusion zone by 50%. Given how many of these things we have, this will save an appreciable chunk of change while letting us cram way more of these things into our islands.

Clicking on it shows what making the Super Rotor requires: 200 licenses, 10,000 credits, 30 units of microchips, and 20 units of carbon fiber. And also one 'Electronic Rotor Controls' and one 'Advanced Turbine Prototype.' You can see the Electronic Rotor Controls also here on the research screen: most two and three star formulas require a lower-tier upgrade.

The Advanced Turbine Prototype, however is what's called a prototype. Prototypes are a special category of gizmo in 2070, and there's a few ways to acquire them. First, the Laboratory has a chance of making a random prototype whenever it makes an item. Second, recall those underwater research facilities I explored with the Nereid? Those award a random prototype. Both, however, proved useless to my purposes in this update. There is, fortunately, another way to get prototypes that's much more reliable, if expensive in credits and licenses.

This is why I recommend you always have Trenchcoat in your games. He always has a prototype available for sale, for 900 licenses. It's rarely the one you want (there's a LOT of different prototypes), but that's where bribing him to change his selection comes into play. This is by far the most reliable way to acquire prototypes in this game.

Three thousand credits later, he has the turbine. But I'm still short on licenses, and the Academy is still chugging away on basic research. Oh well, he'll keep his current selection the next time he drops in.

Time to seriously abuse a function that's been in my screenshots before but I've never explained. In the bottom right menu on the screen, the second button from the right brings up a grab bag of random other functions. I want the miscellaneous section, on the left of this new submenu.

Most of this is stuff you can do with hotkeys, but there's also buttons to speed up, slow down, and pause time. The speed up function especially I make extensive use of, speeding up waiting for ships to get where they need to go, zooming through factory and farm spin-up times, and waiting to see how resource consumption and happiness pan out over time. Or in this case, waiting for research. This update took hours to record, most of it in fast forward mode.

Pictured: what I was looking at for most of this update.

Various random disasters happen throughout this update, but Carcosa and Eureka are well covered in disaster response buildings.

There's also a lot of quests. Very few of them are interesting, but the Vasa does get blooded by sinking a whaling ship who thought they could get away with defying the world ban on whaling!

Formulas are account-wide, so I do add quite a lot to my account during this update.

Now that I have the licenses to buy the Advanced Turbine prototype from Trenchcoat, how about that Electronic Rotor Controls? It's significantly cheaper than the Super Rotor in licenses, money, and other resources, and the two raw materials it needs are two devices made in the Laboratory.

The control module here can be plugged into an island as-is to increase all production building output by 25% for 30 minutes, but I'm going to feed this right back into the Academy.

Note the development risk line. Most Laboratory accidents just damage the building, but the Laboratory has one whoopsie while making a Worker Drone near the end of the update that literally levels half of Eureka and starts a plague. I wasn't looking at Eureka at the time, so I came back to find half the town just gone.

And people wonder why I'm hard on the Techs.

Trenchcoat is back, so I dispatch the Vasa to purchase the Advanced Turbine prototype. Why the Vasa? Hovercraft are the fastest ships in Anno 2070. Even the Nereid with its +30% speed increase item is slower than the Vasa. The catch is that as a military ship, hovercraft are slowed down immensely by cargo. But items, like prototypes and upgrades, have no weight. In every game, I keep one hovercraft around purely for courier duties like this.

I have everything I need to make the Electronic Rotor Controls now. Yes, it takes a while. The speed up button is your friend.

The final type of disaster that I've shown on-screen in the LP is actually the first to be unlocked: a fire. Crime and epidemics merely drive away your residents, fires actually destroy buildings. But the fire station handles the situation immediately. The building will slowly repair itself once the fire is extinguished, there's no way to speed up the process.

A new ultimatum rolls in. Executives of both factions are jerks, and have certain conditions they'll rebel against. Eco Executives, in this case, want Carcosa's ecobalance to be above 140. I was going to do this next update, but fine I'll do it now.

The ozone maker is unlocked with Eco Executives, and while it costs a lot, on an island like Carcosa it will pay for itself. The idea of an ozone maker as an ecobalance tool is rather odd in most of the world, but as it happens in real life the Tierra del Fuego is right underneath a genuine big hole in the ozone layer! Discovering this was in fact one of the reasons I picked this region as the fluff setting for this LP.

Ozone makers have an exclusion area like weather control stations, and interfere with them, but ozone makers have much smaller areas with a much bigger effect.

This robotic sky whale thing will now float in the skies above Carcosa and is presumably the actual ozone maker. Incidentally, the campaign implies that the Eden Initiative has weaponized some of these things. Sleep tight, capitalist scum.

Two ozone makers satisfies the ultimatum, and the high ecobalance makes Yana happy while making my income climb in spite of the maintenance costs for the ozone makers.

If you think Carcosa now looks greener than it used to, that's not your imagination! As ecobalance on an island rises, the color palette becomes richer and more saturated. Correspondingly, extremely low ecobalance leads to a grey and brown, desaturated, washed out color palette. I also do some further expansion of Carcosa and Paraiso during this update, trying to make the most of the city center space.

After a lot of waiting and questing, I finally have what I need to make the Super Rotor and start immediately.

This is, however, just the start of a long shopping list I have for the Academy. Is all this stuff really necessary before building the monument? No. I could make it work without any Academy upgrades if I wanted to, but I see no point in inconveniencing myself. Unlocking and making all this stuff is only a question of time investment (and luck to discover the appropriate formulas), so I have no problem making them for this LP.

Slotting in the Super Rotor on the Ark makes my income climb immediately from the reduced maintenance costs.

Just look at how small the exclusion zones are now! Wind turbines are now my friend!

Paraiso has a problem! The copper deposits - essential to my communicator production - are almost exhausted! Luckily, there's a solution for that.

Remember how I said that the Laboratory can make drills to create new resource deposits? I make one and bring it over to Paraiso. Slotting it into the warehouse starts the drilling, which takes five minutes and creates a new reserve of copper.

Actually I make three and shove them in so I don't have to think about this again for a while.

Given how license-hungry all this Academy nonsense is, it's time to finally make use of the diplomacy screen. I've made friends with almost everyone, so I have a bunch of options available. What I'm here for, though, is license trading.

I need a ton of licenses, so 900 licenses for 60,000 credits is a bargain. Yana and Devi have this diplomacy option, too, so I hit them up for the same deal.

After my research and shopping spree, I also notice that Thorne has a Large Soldering Machine for sale, which I buy immediately and install on Paraiso. This makes all electronics factories (the factories that make communicators) produce 25% more. Notably, this does not increase the resource demands of the factory, you just get 25% more out of thin air. Upgrades like this are well worth keeping eye out for.

There's also a bunch of oil rig accidents over the course of the update, and every one is met with the Arturo Pratt. An oil rig accident sets the rig on fire. If the oil rig burns down completely, the building is destroyed and an oil spill happens. Oil spills are bad loving news, you want to respond to the accident immediately. This is why as soon as one happens, I order up a new set of emergency equipment.

The Arturo Pratt extinguishes the blaze. Different ships have different animations for the emergency equipment, this single stream from the ship's superstructure is the commando ship's.

Ark Upgrades as of the end of this:

Super Rotor: Affects wind turbines. -30% maintenance, -50% influence area. Makes wind turbines manageable and efficient, and I've already got so many of them that it saves an appreciable amount of money.

Artificial Atmospheric Regulation: Affects weather control stations. -40% maintenance, -40% influence area. Like wind turbines, I've already got a bunch of these lying around so this saves a notable amount of money. They're the budget option for ecobalance purposes, and sufficient for most islands where I just want to keep ecobalance from imposing negative effects.

Dish-Stirling System: Affects solar plants. -30% maintenance, +40% power output. This is an experiment on my part, I've never seriously used solar power, but this upgrade flat out doubles solar power's efficiency from 1 credit of maintenance per 1 unit of power, to 1 credit per 2 units and makes solar power the most efficient source of power available to me right now (and still less efficient than any un-upgraded form of Tycoon power). I haven't built any solar plants yet, but I will wherever there's room for these rather sprawling facilities. Expect to see them next update.

Optimized Inventory Turnover: Affects warehouses, depots, and port authorities, -30% maintenance, 1 extra cargo hauler. I have a lot of these buildings and will only build more, so this saves a hefty chunk of change. The extra cargo hauler more subtly improves my supply network, a nice extra bonus.

Generating Anemometer: Affects monitoring stations. -20% maintenance, -30% power consumption. Monitoring stations aren't the most popular ecobalance tool, but I have a few and am likely to build at least a few more. This makes them more efficient, saving some money and freeing up power. Still, easily the most replaceable of the two-star upgrades should I find an upgrade (not all Ark upgrades can be researched at the Academy!) that's better.

Barrier-Free Long-Wave Propagation: Affects information buildings. +20% influence area, -40% power consumption. While the only information building seen in the LP so far is the Ecos' education network, all three factions have their own. The surface advantages of this upgrade are the power savings, and the extra influence area letting them reach and satisfy more houses. However, you may recall that the education network on Carcosa is set to a channel that boosts income from all affected houses. Every faction's information building has a channel like this, so spreading that channel to more houses means more money.

Solar Energy Supply: Affects ozone makers. -30% power consumption. One star Ark upgrades are all pretty whatever, but ozone makers eat a big chunk of power so why not. No ozone maker upgrades affect maintenance costs, unfortunately, which is the other big drawback to them. I don't care about reducing the influence area when ozone makers have such small influence areas to begin with.

Target Audience Neutral Entertainment Program: Affects activity buildings. +10% influence area. Helps concert halls and their Tycoon equivalent - the Laboratory, despite satisfying the Techs' activity need, is not actually considered an activity building. Better than nothing, but might satisfy a few extra Scruffies and his future counterpart, but this is replaceable.

I didn't bother with a third one-star upgrade at all. There are some decent ones, but they all have to be bought or awarded by quests.

In any event, some other quest rewards from this update.

Expedition coordinates are for if you like gambling. The premise is you equip a ship with the specified goods, the ship leaves the sector for a while, and they may come back with something. In this case, the Nereid came back with an upgrade to turn a ship into a suicide bomber. Pass.

High tech weapons are produced by a chain I haven't built yet, because they're used for nothing I care about. If you want to play a military game they're used in the construction of a lot of advanced units and defenses.

Like the Ark upgrade, but marginally better and for one island only. I throw it onto Carcosa for lack of anything better to go in a slot, but I'm going to replace it the moment something actually useful comes along.

Hey, something useful! I slot this into Devil Reef immediately.

Carcosa, population 4,441. I've done some rearranging, mostly moving industrial stuff out of city center areas so I can build more houses, but Carcosa's doing nicely. The next update will hopefully be building the monument, and the only thing Carcosa still needs is a stronger power grid.

Eureka, population 1,100. Eureka's been a big help, but it's going to be the last major island I seriously develop. Tempting as it sounds to go for the Tech monument next since the nerds are already here, I can't actually fulfill the needs of the final tier of Tech citizen without Tycoon executives.

Paraiso will probably not see any further significant development. As the industrial heart powering most of Carcosa's consumer needs, Paraiso has served me very well.

Le Fumier is what I've needed it to be, and I have an eye on it for future use once the Tycoons arrive.

Devil Reef shows one of my great frustrations with Anno 2070: I find this undersea setting way more visually appealing than the surface islands. Underwater settings are my jam, and I wish I could spend the whole game down here rather than treating the undersea as a necessary evil to get the resources I need and nothing more. I wish more city builders would devote themselves to exotic environments like this - Surviving Mars isn't awful but I hate micromanaging colonists like that game demands you do.

It's also one of the two main reasons I never bought Anno 1800. It's pretty, but to me it's also very dull. Set the entire game in the Arctic and I'd give it another look. The existence of undersea stuff in this game, and the Arctic and Moon in 2205, were big factors in me buying them.

Nothing to really say about Adamant for the moment, it's a resource production area and does what I need it to do.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 28, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Alkydere plugged mine, so there's an LP starting of Anno 1800, the currently produced game in the series, for anyone interested.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Pretty much any of the "standard" electricity buildings can become stupid good if you stack their upgrades together, to be fair. Off-shore windparks with all the upgrades have a stupid small exclusion zone, for example.

Also, there's another way to get prototypes, via Hiro. It's randomised, but pretty cost-efficient and should be spammed in a long round in which you want to do a lot of Academy stuff.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 30, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A Monumental Undertaking

Carcosa is almost ready. 1,000 coins of maintenance per tick, check. -140 ecobalance, check. -300 power... Time to use our newly upgraded solar plants.

The solar plant is deceptively large. After placing the central tower, you need to place four mirror arrays like a farm's fields.

I have now upgraded the solar plant to be the most efficient source of power in the Eden Initiative, barring island upgrades. Still less efficient than any baseline Tycoon power sources, but this will do as our increasingly primary source of power wherever there's room for the exorbitant amount of physical space the arrays take up.

Power grid is in the green. We are a go.

The Leisure Center is the brainchild of Seamus Green, founder of the Eden Initiative. An enormous, self-contained, environmentally friendly complex that can service all the needs of a small city in one package. Once complete, the Center will supply all public needs in the radius: community (city centers), activity (concert halls), information (education networks), and and participation (congress centers). I do say when complete, because a project of this scope can't be built instantaneously.

(Some in-game wording, including NPC chatter, refer to the Eco Monument instead as the Parliament. I've also ceased sales of glass and wood, and reactivated Paraiso's full glass production line. We're going to need it.)

Seamus Green always likes to personally monitor the construction of one of his Leisure Centers. He's going to be a permanent face around the Tierra del Fuego from here on out.

Phase one is underway. When starting construction of a monument, make sure there's a nearby depot with road access to provide the construction site with the needed materials. Just starting construction required a substantial load of building modules, tools, wood, and glass, but that's not the end of it.

Selecting the construction site shows you the state of construction. Here you can see that construction is consuming building modules and tools like a factory. The mostly black bar that's starting to fill up with grey shows the state of progress, and the one green Eden Initiative symbol with three blanked out shows that the monument is on stage one out of four.

(This takes a long while to build for each phase. Use the speed up time button liberally.)

I take the time to spruce up the little plaza around the monument-to-be with some ornamentals. Do mind your budget when making ornamentals like these fountains and the fancy light-up beehive walls, they do cost maintenance and in some cases power.

And after a while, phase one is complete! Note that you don't have to build the monument all in one go, you can pause construction at any time. You just won't get any benefit from the monument until it's finished, and each successive stage of the monument costs increasing amounts of power, maintenance, and ecodamage - though the ecodamage cost will go back down significantly when it's finished.

You can see by the second Eden Initiative symbol lighting up that the monument is now at phase two, and it's consuming tools and wood for construction.

Phase three, tools and glass. Nothing else of note happens while I'm working on this, by the way. Just the usual miscellaneous quests and tweaking of city layouts.

And that, my friends, is the Eden Initiative's monument! One of three monuments for this sector down, and Carcosa is largely done, clocking in at a population of 4,670. An anticlimax, I know, but in my opinion that's the sign of a job well done. I planned ahead, knew what the task would require, and supplied it without any issue. Here at the bottom of the world, the Eden Initiative (with generous help from SAAT and a little bit from Rufus Thorne of Global Trust) has made a statement for the world to see.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A mini-update today, I've decided to go over the career system.

The career system rewards long-term play of Anno 2070 by unlocking account-wide bonuses. These bonuses are broken up into the three factions, and each faction has thirteen levels with increasing numbers of points required for each. As you can see here, I'm currently working on the Eden Initiative career level that will give me the Biosphere as a new skin I can use for my Ark - and that I previously earned the same rank with Global Trust, unlocking the Haven as an alternate skin I can use. I stuck with the basic skin for the LP, though.

Some career rewards are cosmetic like that, and some are not. The Super Rotor upgrade I built at the Academy was unlocked from the first tier of Eden Initiative career, for example, and I unlocked all the Ark upgrade slots via my work in all three career tracks.

How do you earn career points? One way is by beating campaign missions, random maps if you set a win condition, and various special scenarios the game comes with. Some offer a choice of which track to apply career points to, some are pre-set. Naturally, the harder the scenario, the more points you earn.

However, there's also three ways to readily earn points just by logging in regularly: the three buttons at the lower left of the screen.

Love it or hate it, Anno 2070 has a constantly online function and these Senate votes are a part of it. New votes happen every week or two, and the effects of the winner are applied to all games and sessions you play. You get points for whoever you vote for, but regardless of who you vote for the overall winner gives you a small amount as well - a bonus or a consolation prize, as you prefer.

World Council votes are monthly, and work the same way. Instead of granting a passive bonus to all sessions, however, it gives some extra abilities you can choose to activate for a price.

The most regular source of career points, though, is the daily quest. Yes, Anno 2070 has daily quests. What kind of quest is offered is random, but it's usually collect flotsam, deliver X number of Y good to your ark, or survey islands. You can choose to work for any faction for a daily, it doesn't change anything but who you earn career points for.

Once you've accepted the quest and a benefactor, simply load up a game.

Once you load in, EVE will pop up to offer the quest properly.

And from there it's like any other quest.

What are the titles and rewards for the various tiers?

Eden Initiative

Tier 1: Volunteer: Unlocks the Super Rotor formula at the Academy
Tier 2: Environmentalist: Unlocks Green as a choice for player color
Tier 3: Ecologist: When you vote for the Eden Initiative in Senate and World Council elections, your vote counts as ten
Tier 4: Environmental Engineer: Unlocks a tier 3 Ark upgrade slot
Tier 5: Marine Biologist: Unlocks the Artificial Atmospheric Regulation formula at the Academy
Tier 6: Climatologist: Unlocks Yana Rodriguez as a player profile avatar
Tier 7: Biotechnician: Adds 4 new cargo holds to your Ark and expands the capacity of all cargo holds by 20 units
Tier 8: Conservation Officer: Unlocks the Hovercraft Combat Suite formula at the Academy
Tier 9: Expert Ecologist: Unlocks Seamus Green as a player profile avatar
Tier 10: Council Member: Unlocks the Biosphere as a skin for your Ark
Tier 11: Council Spokesman: Receive a permanent discount from Yana Rodriguez in all games
Tier 12: Special Representative: Unlocks the ability to rush order wood at your Ark
Tier 13: Council President: Unlocks the Yin-Yang Regulator formula at the Academy

I'm using two of these formulas, and the Ark upgrade expansion, already. The tier 8 formula is the ultimate hovercraft combat upgrade if that's your thing. The tier 13 upgrade is very interesting: slot this into your Ark, and your sector never suffers from epidemic disasters. Ever.

Global Trust

Tier 1: Helper: Unlocks the Thermodynamic Efficiency Enhancement formula at the Academy
Tier 2: Freelancer: Unlocks Gray as a choice for player color
Tier 3: Administrator: When you vote for Global Trust in Senate and World Council elections, your vote counts as ten
Tier 4: Employee of the Month: Unlocks a tier 3 Ark upgrade slot
Tier 5: Assistant: Unlocks the Compact Combustion Process formula at the Academy
Tier 6: Department Head: Unlocks Rufus Thorne as a player profile avatar
Tier 7: Senior Controller: Adds 4 new cargo holds to your Ark and expands the capacity of all cargo holds by 20 units
Tier 8: Area Manager: Unlocks the Colossus Battle Suite formula at the Academy
Tier 9: Managing Director: Unlocks Skylar Banes as a player profile avatar
Tier 10: Board Member: Unlocks the Haven as a skin for your Ark
Tier 11: Board Spokesman: Receive a permanent discount from Rufus Thorne in all games
Tier 12: Special Representative: Unlocks the ability to rush order concrete at your Ark
Tier 13: Chairman of the Board: Unlocks the Persuasion Emitter formula at the Academy

This follows the same pattern as the Eden Initiative, and the Academy formula upgrades correspond to the Trust's basic power source, ecobalance building, and warship. The tier 13 formula prevents all crime in your sector.

SAAT

Tier 1: Guinea Pig: Unlocks the Eco-Neutral Energy Diffuser formula at the Academy
Tier 2: Lab Trainee: Unlocks Blue as a choice for player color
Tier 3: Field Researcher: When you vote for SAAT in Senate and World Council elections, your vote counts as ten
Tier 4: Scientific Employee: Unlocks a tier 2 Ark upgrade slot
Tier 5: Investigator: Unlocks the High-Security Laboratories formula at the Academy
Tier 6: Project Analyst: Unlocks Salman Devi as a player profile avatar
Tier 7: Basic Researcher: Adds 4 new cargo holds to your Ark and expands the capacity of all cargo holds by 20 units
Tier 8: Head Researcher: Unlocks the Deep Sea Hunter Battle Classification formula at the Academy
Tier 9: Theorist: Unlocks FATHER as a player profile avatar
Tier 10: Member of the Science Council: Unlocks the Vortex as a skin for your Ark
Tier 11: Science Council Spokesman: Receive a permanent discount from Salman Devi in all games
Tier 12: Special Representative: Unlocks the ability to rush order carbon fiber at your Ark
Tier 13: Chairman of the Science Council: Unlocks the Virtual Facades formula at the Academy

Third verse, same as the first. The only notable differences are the tier 2 Ark upgrade slot instead of tier 3, and instead of an ecobalance building upgrade, this one prevents accidents at the Laboratory. The tier 13 formula prevents fires.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Man I sometimes wonder why I never played Anno as it seems kinda down my alley, then I see stuff like this and remember that I could honestly just play Factorio or some poo poo if I wanted to take care of all new needs that keep on popping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The 2070 career stuff was...not the best.

I mean if you owned the game forever ago it's a non issue as you can set to auto-vote on one side, come back a couple months later with your next Anno craving with that faction maxed out and set to auto-vote for another. That's how I got my stuff maxed.

However even when it came out it wasn't exactly hard to se how this was an absolute mess driven by Ubisoft's drive for always-online DRM at the time