Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Monument Women

One fully functional maze of fat factories. Again, beyond the fact that their 'fields' are labeled 'slaughterhouses' I don't know anything about what goes on in these places. Though I'm told the smell is horrific.

The rest of the pharmaceutical production line is up and running.

Lex's unique needs are satisfied. I'll spare you all the work of expanding New New York's population and various needs to support its population.

I also set up steel production in Champaignt during this time, allowing New New York to focus on tool production.

No one in these seminars suggested a name for Site Eight, but an attentive viewer on other channels named the area Rock Bottom. I can only assume this individual has not enjoyed their time in underwater facilities.

A whole lot of work later, New New York is at the magic number of executives. Now to finish monument preparations, the Tycoon monument has exactly the same maintenance, ecobalance, and power costs as the Eco monument.

Buckle in, Global Trust executives. We're doing this purely on renewable energy. And yes, that is in fact an Eden Initiative ozone maker right next to the monument site.

Laying the foundations for the new Global Trust branch headquarters does, of course, prompt a virtual visit by Skylar Banes, founder and CEO of Global Trust. One of the most powerful people on the planet, undoubtedly the wealthiest, and by all accounts one of the most brilliant business minds in history. Banes lead Global Trust from a small energy company to the great megacorp of the Drowning era, and her shadow looms long across the planet. What even I'll admit is the worrying thing, though, is that Skylar Banes is getting quite up there in years and rumor has it she's not in good health. When she finally steps down, or dies, the shockwaves are going to be felt across the planet, and according to my morning news briefs there's still no clear successor in Global Trust's ranks.

Just like the Eco monument, the first stage of the Tycoon monument consumes tools and building modules.

Stage two, tools and concrete.

Stage three, tools and steel.

Two down, one to go.

New New York, population 4,082

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Two monuments down!

Now for round 3!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
But the last one is... going to take more effort than the previous two. :v:

In case you can't tell, this is the part of the game where my enthusiasm starts to wane. Only two more production chains to go, but they're not fun or easy.

Those who haven't played Anno 2070, enjoy guessing what you get from combining corn, algae, platinum, lithium, and omega-3 acids in the correct order and proportions.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

:psyduck:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So, in the logic of the game, bioplastics and what is likely electronics, but not, because it doesn't include the regular electronics bits, the omega-3 things make me think it's for humans so...

I sure wouldn't put a thing with a lithium battery in my body, and probably not a catalytic converter either, so I'm gonna jump in the water and say some sort of prosthetic or implant.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

An awful but highly prestigious salad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For reference, here's all the production chains seen so far in the LP.

Basalt Granules -> Building Modules
Iron Ore + Coal -> Iron -> Tools
Iron Ore + Coal -> Iron -> Weapons

Vegetables + Rice -> Health Food
Sand + Copper -> Microchips -> Communicators
Sand + Limestone -> Glass
Fruit + Milk -> Health Drinks
Manganese Nodules -> Rare Earth Elements + Diamonds -> 3D Holographic Projectors
Sand + Copper -> Microchips + (Corn + Algae -> Biopolymers) -> Service Bots

Coal -> Coal Power
Sand + Limestone -> Concrete
Meat + Super Flavor -> Convenience Food
Crude Oil -> Oil -> Plastics
Iron Ore + Coal -> Iron -> Steel
Lobsters + Truffles -> Luxury Food
Grapes + Sugar -> Champagne
Gold Nuggets + Coal -> Gold Bars + Diamonds -> Jewelry
Omega-3 Acids + Algae -> Secret Ingredients + (Manganese Nodules -> Rare Earth Elements) -> Pharmaceuticals

Crude Oil -> Oil + Coal -> Carbon Fiber
Sugar + Caffeine -> Energy Drinks
Crude Oil -> Oil -> Kerosene
Sand + Copper -> Microchips + Sponges -> Cybernetic Implants

Unlocked, not shown in the LP yet:

Uranium -> Fuel Rods -> Nuclear Power
Iron Ore + Coal -> Iron + (Uranium -> High Explosives) -> Heavy Weapons
Sand + Copper -> Microchips + (Iron Ore + Coal -> Iron) -> High Tech Weapons

With a note that you can sidestep the Microchips part and just produce Microchips directly underwater.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Whale taxis. I bet they add cybernetics to whales to make whales into taxis with that stuff.

What hubris, science :(

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cyborgs?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The bit that is tricky is that there already is a production chain for implants.

But there might be two, there are several for weapons after all.

Is it, by any chance, implant-augmented designer pets? Could be a separate chain for humans and non-humans after all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
udon'tplay is at it again. >_>

The answer for that mammoth chain is bionic suits.

Part one of the chain, you've already seen: corn + algae go into a biopolymer factory to make biopolymers. This is why you need Eco Executives for this chain, the Techs don't provide schematics for corn farms or biopolymer factories.

Then you need omega-3 acids and lithium (a new production facility we haven't seen yet) for an oxidation facility to make electrolyte power cells. This is why you need Tycoon Executives for this chain, the Techs don't provide schematics for fat factories.

Then you combine electrolyte power cells with platinum (another new one) in a hydraulics plant to make exoskeletons.

Then you combine exoskeletons and biopolymers to make the bionic suits.

By the way, lithium, platinum, algae, and oxidation facilities are all underwater. Corn, omega-3 acids, biopolymer factories, hydraulics plants, and bionics labs are all on land.

This is going to take some doing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Between u[don't]play issues and the fact that at this point in the game it takes a lot more work to produce a useful update, today's is going to be shorter than normal.

Going for Platinum

Tech Geniuses. Ugh. This is going to take some doing. Also, before the hate mail comes in from SAAT members: I married a senior fellow in the Society.

Good news is, the Geniuses are moving in on schedule. The Tierra del Fuego is now a hotspot in the global scientific community, apparently. Welcome to the bottom of the world, nerds.

Task one for the day, meeting Eureka's projected needs for lab instruments. Sasha assures me that these are precision creations with exacting tolerances, not something you can buy from Global Trust's miscellaneous catalogue. Step one is the familiar iron production chain: coal, iron ore, and an iron smelter. For Eureka's needs, three iron smelters will do.

Like so.

And there's the third.

After some examination, I believe Adamant will serve our needs nicely for the next part of this chain. Fortunately, the Gotheburg is already hauling crude oil from Adamant to Eureka. I update the manifest to also haul iron from Eureka to Adamant.

Scattered around most underwater plateaus are these black smokers. Thanks to modern technology, each smoker can be tapped for limitless supply of certain mineral resources: iron, copper, gold, uranium, or platinum. Each smoker can only be tapped by one converter. Converters are very expensive compared to traditional mines, so you don't want to do this willy-nilly. However, it's the only way to obtain platinum in useful quantities.

Converters are large buildings, and need to have the smoker in the area of influence.

Once the rest of the chain spins up, the outfitter will process the platinum and imported iron to make laboratory instruments.

The trade route is updated accordingly.

Two more platinum converters and laboratory outfitters go up, along with the tidal plants to power them. Not shown, the huge quantities of building modules, tools, and carbon fiber the Nereid and Arturo Pratt hauled here. This is an expensive chain to make! And truth be told, I'm crossing my fingers. The humble freight ship is... humble, and hauling this much is going to slow the Gotheburg down on a long trade route. I'll keep an eye on this in the future, I may need to replace the Gotheburg with a ship more suitable for a long, cargo-heavy route.

While all this was going on, I was also developing everything needed for a new hydroelectric dam, this one intended for Eureka. Yes, you need to make a fresh set of blueprints for every dam you want to build.

This is going to be very welcome. The Tech monument is a monster.

Eureka, population 2,015

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Cythereal posted:

While all this was going on, I was also developing everything needed for a new hydroelectric dam, this one intended for Eureka. Yes, you need to make a fresh set of blueprints for every dam you want to build.
Well at least that tracks realistically since dams are pretty much one-offs dependent on local conditions.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

See, look at this! This is reasonable! This is sane! We don't need specialized, expensive railroads to transport oil! Nor do we need expensive, specialized tanker ships! Just stuff it in barrels and haul it like we do rum!

But Aarhant...trains!

It's really hard to understand how much construction supplies this stuff takes until you play the game. Underwater construction is hilariously expensive, like a stockpile of 200 basic building modules gets you 3, maybe 4 buildings if they're more expensive than mere tidal power plants or algae farms. Also I was pretty sure you could put multiple converters near a smoker. It's just hard to get more than 2-3 converters since the smokers are actually outside the buildable radius and the buildings are huge and bulky (6x5).

Either way I'm just glad that when the Deep Ocean DLC that introduced Geniuses/platinum dropped it made Black Smokers less annoying. Before they were unusable, each one taking from 10 to 20 hours from start of the session to become available. Only then would they go dormant and could be mined from, but they'd only offer a single random resource unless you used specific Tech items to guarantee a specific ore.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

See, look at this! This is reasonable! This is sane! We don't need specialized, expensive railroads to transport oil! Nor do we need expensive, specialized tanker ships! Just stuff it in barrels and haul it like we do rum!

But Aarhant...trains!

Trains are perfectly fine for long hauling on land. The Tierra del Fuego is an archipelago, as was the island chain those two developed according to the documentary. Vanity vanity vanity, all is vanity. Nonsense like that built the foundation of the Drowning.

Also, if anyone has suggestions, I'll probably be settling at least one more surface and underwater island each in the next couple updates if anyone has suggestions.

I can probably supply the corn for the biopolymers from Carcosa, given how the high ecobalance means Carcosa is producing approximately all the corn, but I'll probably settle a new underwater plateau specifically for the underwater algae and lithium and whatnot the bionic suits will need, and I'll probably settle a new island for fruit. I'm looking to expand Carcosa to help fund the Tech monument's maintenance costs, and Le Fumier is pretty well at capacity so a new health drink production center is on the menu.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 30, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But trains are awesome. Just make some bridges, tunnels and tubes between islands. :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sorry for the paucity of updates. Between other games distracting me (let the record show that I had strongly considered LPing Guild Wars 2 at some point, that is now emphatically off the table), doing work in my apartment, uplay issues, and this just not being a part of the game that I love, progress has been slow.

Through Waters Deep

So, next on the agenda is bionic suits. This is going to take some prep work, starting with expanding Carcosa to help fund this endeavor.

To do that, Carcosa's most immediate need is more health drinks and Le Fumier is tasked to capacity. A small new facility is established for this purpose on what has been dubbed Cape Verdance. The newly constructed freight ship Esperanza is assigned to haul the health drinks back to Carcosa.

A quest for Seamus Green awarded this. Contrary to the description, a -40% chance of accidents means exactly that. You'd need to socket three of these (or otherwise some combination that adds up to 100%) to make nuclear power actually risk-free. I bring this to the Leviathan for safekeeping on the off chance it comes in handy.

While expanding Eureka, this sector has surpassed 1,250 Tech geniuses, unlocking the final two upgrade slots on every island.

To wit, we're up to a capacity of 1,400 thanks to building a second city center on Eureka, and a second laboratory to enable more lab assistants to ascend. This is more than enough for the Tech monument, but it pays to be thorough first.

Here we go...

The reason I chose Cape Verdance is because this island has fertilities for both fruit and corn. A single bionic suit chain - and we'll only be building the one - requires two corn farms. Not the most efficient layout in the world, but this island is tiny.

Bionics supply route one.

Next stop, a new underwater island that someone - who shall remain nameless - christened Bell Bottom. We start with one algae farm, this will pair with the corn from Cape Verdance to supply a biopolymer factory. The two new buildings are lithium plants, filtering high-grade lithium out of the seawater. Two fit our needs.

Back on Champaignt, some reshuffling of production is in order now that the Tycoon monument is done. Champaignt is very close to Bell Bottom, and two fat factories will supply Bell Bottom with omega-3 acids.

Bionics supply route two.

An oxidation facility combines the output of two lithium plants and two fat factories to produce electrolyte power cells. A single platinum converter is also constructed.

Bionics supply route three.

Everything on the left half is now being brought to Eureka.

One biopolymer factory to turn algae and corn into biopolymers, and one hydraulics plant to turn platinum and electrolyte power cells into exoskeletons.

And finally, the bionics lab itself. Don't ask me how long it took to actually set all this up and troubleshoot breakdowns until it all got working properly, but that is now the final production chain I'll cover in a regular update. Next time, laying the groundwork for the Tech monument. Maybe even building it. This is going to take some effort yet...

Carcosa, population 5,237

Eureka, population 3,556

Champaignt

Cape Verdance

Bell Bottom

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Sorry for the paucity of updates. Between other games distracting me (let the record show that I had strongly considered LPing Guild Wars 2 at some point, that is now emphatically off the table), doing work in my apartment, uplay issues, and this just not being a part of the game that I love, progress has been slow.

Ahahahahaaaa...there's a part of my deeply broken brain that keeps suggesting I do stuff like LP a Factorio Seablock run after doing Anno 1800. So I know the feeling.

Cythereal posted:

Here we go...

Ah, good ol' end-game/DLC Anno recipes. I don't think anything in 2205 gets that complex (other than the transport costs of hauling poo poo to and from the moon) but eventually I'll be showing some equivalent or worse ones in 1800.

I will say that production schematic brings back memories. "I have to do what? And then what else? And it costs how much before I start selling it to my houses and generating tax income?"

As for the Nuclear stuff, I will say if you stack safety items it's actually quite nice to use the Energy Transmitter the Geniuses unlock to make an otherwise uninhabited Nuclear Island and start beaming the power across the map. Note: only do this after you break the 100% threshold on nuclear safety or else you'll hear your AI companion update you 5-10 minutes about how "an incident has occurred". I swear those facilities make people fill out major incident forms every time someone spills coffee and has to call the janitor to clean it up.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 10, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Completing the Circuit

It is time to begin preparations for the SAAT monument. Even more so than the other two, this is not a project to be rushed. The first order of business is attending to the needs of Eureka's population. The recent explosion of immigration has strained their resources badly.

But these are solvable problems. Seen here, more gene farms and a coral farm to supply the manufacture of more immunity drugs.

There are a number of ways to account for the eco-damage that the Tech monument is going to inflict. I've chosen to build the first River Sewage Treatment plant in the sector. These facilities are from Eco executives, are very expensive to build and operate, require a river slot, and generally are not efficient tools. Yet, there's something to be said for the convenience of dealing with this problem with a single building.

More energy drinks...

More cybernetic implants...

And we're ready. The improved income stems from expansion of all three major settled islands - Champaignt has seen some expansion off-camera to provide for New New York. Also note the quantities of stockpiled resources.

One other thing. Eureka has no native tool production, so I set up a temporary new trade route to haul tools from New New York to Eureka to supply the monument's construction.

It begins. The very first thing to be built is an uplink to FATHER 2.0, the latest improvement on SAAT's pet AI. They swear this one won't launch a global nuclear war like FATHER 1.0 did, and the Science Forum, when complete, will be a major hub in the world information and research network.

Step one, tools and concrete.

Step two, tools and wood. This step requires well over three hundred units of wood, so I set up another temporary trade route to haul additional wood from Carcosa to Eureka.

Step three, tools and carbon fiber.

It is finished! An anticlimax, I know, but that's the nature of projects like this. The risks, the hopes, and the frustrations are all in the prep work. Ideally, the execution is always going to feel like something of a letdown. Personally, I've come to consider it the mark of a job well done and this concludes the terms of the Council's agreement with the Chilean and Argentinian governments. The Tierra del Fuego is now a thriving hub of research and industry, and home to more than ten thousand productively employed people, with no less than three major architectural marvels dotting the islands.

Carcosa, population 5,343. Carcosa original heart of the entire Tierra del Fuego resettlement program, and remains the regional headquarters for the Eden Initiative. Once you get used to the black suns, fields laid out in tesselating circles, and the general absence of right angles, it's a very nice place to live and is scheduled to be the center of the next phase of refugee resettlement that I will not be involved with.

New New York, population 5,177. I still think Global Trust is a mistake, but for now at least New New York is home to thousands of people and has done a lot to help fund the Tierra del Fuego program.

Eureka, population 4,640. If you don't mind eating algae out of a tube and believe that caffeine is an essential food group, it's a nice place to live provided SAAT doesn't kill us all within the next century or two.

Paraiso has been an essential agricultural and industrial zone since the early days of the program, and it's served its purpose well.

Would that Le Fumier served so admirably in its similar function. The island's been constantly plagued by transportation shortages and difficulties that I've never nailed down. Perhaps some of the non-Euclidian geometry from Carcosa has bled over here and the systems just can't take it.

Champaignt is a pleasant agricultural backwater that has plenty of room to grow yet.

Cape Verdance is a necessary stopgap to help maintain production targets. Unglamorous but useful.

Devil Reef is the largest underwater operation I have ever run in all my time as a development governor, and has been absolutely vital for the sector's development.

Adamant is significantly smaller in scope, but has plenty of room to grow. Adamant's resources mainly supply Carcosa, but also Eureka's lab instruments.

Rock Bottom supplies New New York with its undersea resource needs, nothing more or less.

Bell Bottom has precisely one purpose: supporting the production of bionic suits.

Aurora van de Velde, signing off.

There will be one more update to come, as I take a look at many of the resources and toys I didn't use in the course of the LP.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 18, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

A winner is you!

That is a really dull victory screen.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It does have both charts and a continue playing button, that's at least that.

Good run, some of those production chains and resource decisions in the game design make my head hurt a bit but that's the price of remaining relatively simple.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Anno is a good series and I like this one, stylistically the most. Gameplay-wise? Eeeh... would be much better without some, ubisoft-related, features.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be fair, a lot of 4X games have rather bleh victory screens. Stellaris has this issue too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

At least the victory screen accurately predicted the next game in the series would have bridges

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
At least the Tech monument actually feels rewarding to build: it unlocks the entire island, all of it, as building space and provides the activity (lab/academy) need for the entire island. Off-camera I've already bulldozed the second lab I built and promoted as many houses as the population could sustain. The Eco and Tycoon monuments are much less impactful to build.

I'll do a proper retrospective post and post-script later, but in brief my feeling is that Anno 2070's fun peaks around the Engineer tier of citizens. Your options expand significantly, you're driven to expand much more than you have before including going underwater, and yet things feel individually simple, coming together as a much more complex network. Executives/geniuses are where it starts to just feel like busywork in my book.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Is there a 4x/building sim that doesn't fall prey to that? Even the original Simcity was prone to busywork plate spinning after a while. Otherwise good job!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Post Script

To round things out, here's some odds and ends I didn't show off in the normal course of the playthrough. This is not a comprehensive list, just the stuff that I have used in other games or built off-camera and never talked about.

Uranium mine, unlocked with Tycoon engineers. You know they mine uranium in there because of the green gas clouds and radiation trefoils.

Sporting more trefoils, and clouds of bright green smoke when in operation, the fuel element factory turns the output of one uranium mine each into fuel rods. Besides nuclear power, you can sell fuel rods to Trenchcoat for huge profits.

One uranium mine supplies one fuel element factory supplies one nuclear power plant. You know this one's not working right now because it isn't lit up with an eerie green glow and belching clouds of smoke. I've talked about the issues with these things enough. Blue Byte really loving hates nuclear power and for some baffling reason ties it to the super-capitalist faction.

Alternatively, two uranium mines can instead supply one explosives factory. High explosives by themselves don't do much good, but...

An explosives factory and two iron smelters support one arsenal, which manufactures heavy weapons. Heavy weapons are used in the production of Tycoon high-end warships. Or you could just buy heavy weapons off Trenchcoat, he usually has some for sale every time he pops up.

This is the trash compactor, a Tycoon ecobalance tool I meant to use during the regular course of the LP but forgot about. The trash compactor is, potentially, one of the most powerful ecobalance tools in the game. Its effectiveness is determined by the population of houses in the building's operating radius, as seen. It's also dirt cheap to run. Really, there's no reason to not use these even if you don't upgrade them at the academy. They're just good. Bear in mind, though, that Tycoon ecobalance buildings can only repair damage up to a score of zero, never improve ecobalance into a positive number.

The deacidification station has a substantial exclusion radius - and it does interfere with Eco buildings like weather control stations - but it's an efficient and powerful ecobalance tool. One thing to bear in mind is the power drain, these things require a lot of energy to run.

Yeah, the Tycoons have nukes (I'm not showing the nuclear missile submarine they can build). Ludicrously expensive, but it will delete any island you launch it at. Tycoon executives will sometimes issue an ultimatum to build the silo, on the basis that 'Global crises have shaken trust in the world economy! We need to show strength!" That responding to a lack of confidence in the global economy by building nuclear weapons is abject idiocy that's only going to make things worse, the game does not seem concerned with.

I probably could have built a CO2 reservoir on Eureka instead of the river sewage treatment plant, it's much more efficient with power but less efficient with maintenance costs. It's the Tycoons' ultimate ecobalance tool, and a good one, just bear in mind how strapped the Tycoons tend to be for mine sites and that this occupies one.

Some people love thermal power stations, I deem them a sometimes necessary evil until Ecos can get offshore wind turbines online. The power they generate is determined by the population density in the area of influence, just like how trash compactors work. I don't like them.

The ultimate Eco military technology is the shield generator, which supplies an extra buffer of hitpoints to everything in the area.

The statistics center is a very special little building that was in retrospect a test for features that would later become standard in the series. For a fairly substantial investment to build the thing, to start with a statistics center can tell you the exact productivity, ecobalance impact, and energy cost/supply of every building and every good on the island.

Click that extra button on the side, and the statistics center will give you a smorgasbord of data about your entire sector operations. These things are expensive enough to run that I never felt the need to build one, but if you're new, looking to wring every bit of efficiency you can out of your empire, or are just trying to pin down some problem or other, a statistics center can be a priceless investment.

The Techs brought the know-how to build an airport with them, but the only purpose aircraft have in this game is blowing stuff up so I never felt the need.

The energy transmitter, on the other hand, is a very interesting little facility. You need at least two of them...

And you can transmit power between any islands you have energy transmitters on! One popular thing to do among Anno 2070 fans is to load up one island with as many power generator equipment items as possible and dedicate that island to power production, using energy transmitters to supply the rest of the sector. That felt too gamey and unrealistic to do in the LP, so I consciously avoided it, but it is an option. In particular, Champaignt had a slot for a hydroelectric dam I could have used to help power New New York or Eureka for their monuments.

Readers may have spotted the green icon above the volcanic trench in Rock Bottom and wondered what it was for. The answer is, that marks a spot for the most powerful and efficient source of electrical power in the game: a geothermal power plant. Besides just how energy-hungry underwater islands can be, energy transmitters can be built underwater, allowing geothermal plants to power land settlements. Just bear in mind that not only are these plants very expensive, they have a chance of triggering a major undersea earthquake that in turn causes a tsunami to devastate most of the sector. So, uh, consider investing in accident chance reduction items for the warehouse.

Closing Thoughts

This LP, I'm happy to say, went pretty much as intended from beginning to end! My enthusiasm definitely waned towards the end, I don't care for just making numbers go up, but I enjoy Anno 2070 and I hope I helped show how to play this notoriously opaque and beginner-unfriendly game! Technically things went mostly well (udontplay), switching from imgur to lpix worked a charm.

If I have a real point of criticism for the game, it's that I'd absolutely love a game like this set purely underwater or in space or in a similarly fantastical environment. I just don't care for the temperate island development thing, it's too mundane for my taste. Surviving Mars is nice for what it is, but I hate the colonist management in that game and would prefer more intensive resource/logistics/ecology management rather than having to care about colonists and manage them.

As for the future, I would definitely like to LP Anno 2205 at some point, but right now I think I'm pretty well Anno'd out and have no plans for my next LP for the time being.

As always, if anyone has any criticism or feedback, I'm happy to listen!

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 20, 2021

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Congratulations on a game well shown off! As a casual fan of the series it was definitely fun to watch.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

That is for doing the LP. I bounced hard off this game as a beginner to the Anno series so it was nice to see it completed. The setting really appealed to me but I was also disappointed about how little the underwater segments were used. Thought it would be cool if the techs lived entirely underwater and the majority of the map was about underwater exploration and exploitation.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
2070 narrowly edges out 1404 as my second favourite Anno after 1800. Between the bitter-sweet mood and the satirical eco faction monocropping, the game designers in Mainz must have been having some feels when they put this one together.

Reddit seems to be under the impression that the next Anno game will be set in classical not-Rome (Anno 54? Anno 9?). If true my many years of playing the Caesar series of games means it will probably become my new fave by default.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Thank you for the LP!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Thanks for the LP!

...And for getting me to LP again after years I guess. :v: I can understand wanting to take a break before doing anything else.

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

2070 narrowly edges out 1404 as my second favourite Anno after 1800. Between the bitter-sweet mood and the satirical eco faction monocropping, the game designers in Mainz must have been having some feels when they put this one together.

Reddit seems to be under the impression that the next Anno game will be set in classical not-Rome (Anno 54? Anno 9?). If true my many years of playing the Caesar series of games means it will probably become my new fave by default.

1800 is the 7th Anno, the hope/joke is that whatever they do for the 8th installment, Anno 9 will just be...Anno 9. Honestly I'd be all for a more Roman/Mediterranean setting as a break up of Anno games centered at least in part in rolling green hills and forests of central Europe.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I enjoyed it, thanks for showing the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ptolo
Oct 31, 2011
Thanks for a most enjoyable LP.