Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Weird how Japan will help out when it's a literal Olympic athlete seeming asylum but when it's a poor African they don't give a poo poo

https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1421175465184743426?s=19

I'm glad for her anyway but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Eej posted:

I'm glad for her anyway but still
Yeah, Japan retains a pretty xenophobic/racist set of policies and probably would not let even the Olympic athlete stay permanently. Thread indicates she's maybe looking to apply for asylum with Australia.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, Japan retains a pretty xenophobic/racist set of policies and probably would not let even the Olympic athlete stay permanently. Thread indicates she's maybe looking to apply for asylum with Australia.
Or Austria.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The jogger's dilemma: if you run you'll never make it but if you walk you'll never make it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Midjack posted:

The jogger's dilemma: if you run you'll never make it but if you walk you'll never make it.
Getting struck with acute gastrointestinal distress well into a run without restrooms available is great fun.

15 minutes into the run: huh, feeling a little off, but I'll be fine
30 minutes into the run: ooph, I'll turn back early
40 minutes into the run: oh gods, I can't run one step further or else I'll explode
50 minutes into the run walk: urghhhhhhh
60 minutes into the run walk: URGHHHHHHH
90 minutes into the run walk hobble: kill me. kill me. kill me. :shepicide:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Gettr is full of ISIS supporters who appreciate the platforms free speech ethos: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/02/trump-gettr-social-media-isis-502078

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's coin shortage time again. Went 3 places running errands, exact change or card only again.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's coin shortage time again. Went 3 places running errands, exact change or card only again.

The shelves at the grocery store were looking a little thin yesterday too. Especially the paper towel/TP aisle.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Only milk walmart had this morning was fat free. Rice was a little thin too. But chicken is still $2/lb and I saw 3lb logs of beef for $4 that I'm not remotely trying to trust.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/scoopnash/status/1422201434678910980

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
gently caress him. All that time to get a vaccine and he refused, he can choke on his own ignorance.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ykAXB3JFy4

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The description of his situation is virtually identical to my dad's situation. If he does survive, he's going to be radically different in ways that his family does not yet even begin to comprehend.

Quick side note since I haven't updated about my dad in forever - he seems to have some permanent cognitive and physical issues. He still effectively has no stamina. He cannot walk around the store without needing to stop and take breaks. His lot is 0.16 acres almost evenly split between front yard, house, and back yard. He cannot do more than mow the front yard with a push mower. He's done for the entire day after that. It would take me (if I was local and he would let me) less than 15 minutes of mow time to do the front yard. His back yard hasn't been mowed in over a month. I need to yell at one of my nephews to get over there and take care of that.

He's regained some function in his left arm, but is still a long ways off of really being able to do anything with it. Before he got sick he was the top mechanic in the company (which owns a number of tractor repair shops). No one had close to his quality of work as measured by returns or rework orders. He was over 95% which is just the max the measurement allows. Most other mechanics are around 55-60% for comparison. Now he can only go in there for 20 or so hours a week, look up parts/repair guides on the computer for the other mechanics, and give them pointers on how to repair things. He doesn't have the manual dexterity or strength to use his left arm, and he's not able to do most tractor work one handed.

He has been fervently fighting with all anti-vax people on facebook, though.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

The description of his situation is virtually identical to my dad's situation. If he does survive, he's going to be radically different in ways that his family does not yet even begin to comprehend.

Quick side note since I haven't updated about my dad in forever - he seems to have some permanent cognitive and physical issues. He still effectively has no stamina. He cannot walk around the store without needing to stop and take breaks. His lot is 0.16 acres almost evenly split between front yard, house, and back yard. He cannot do more than mow the front yard with a push mower. He's done for the entire day after that. It would take me (if I was local and he would let me) less than 15 minutes of mow time to do the front yard. His back yard hasn't been mowed in over a month. I need to yell at one of my nephews to get over there and take care of that.

He's regained some function in his left arm, but is still a long ways off of really being able to do anything with it. Before he got sick he was the top mechanic in the company (which owns a number of tractor repair shops). No one had close to his quality of work as measured by returns or rework orders. He was over 95% which is just the max the measurement allows. Most other mechanics are around 55-60% for comparison. Now he can only go in there for 20 or so hours a week, look up parts/repair guides on the computer for the other mechanics, and give them pointers on how to repair things. He doesn't have the manual dexterity or strength to use his left arm, and he's not able to do most tractor work one handed.

He has been fervently fighting with all anti-vax people on facebook, though.

Thanks for sharing that update with us Mr. Nice.

I sincerely hope that in time he can regain some of what he’s lost. But I’m happy as hell to know he’s giving it to anti vaxxers.

Sounds like you have a good dad.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm not sure that's even the last update, the Covid thread had updates by his family (requests for thoughts & prayers etc.) saying he needed to be put on an ecmo due to his blood saturation since his lungs can't get enough oxygen in his blood despite the ventilator.
The problem was that there were no more ecmos at his hospital (which would indicate that all others are already taken, which is pretty bad to begin with, but that's another story), and doctors wanted to transfer him to another location with open ecmo capacity, but he wasn't stable enough for transport.

Having Covid and going on a ventilator is one thing, and already bad enough. Requiring ecmo support is quite a few shades worse than just needing a ventilator.

Requiring an ecmo and not having access to one...now that's bad.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
And to think he could have just gotten a shot or two to prevent this.

But nooooo.

Good to hear about your dad, Mr. Nice. Does he have a physical/occupational therapist?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

I think all these cult leaders and grifters have forgotten the original playbook, and the pro move is to get the vaccine and say you didn't and keep railing against it.

This true believer poo poo is insane.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

And to think he could have just gotten a shot or two to prevent this.

But nooooo.

Good to hear about your dad, Mr. Nice. Does he have a physical/occupational therapist?

Not yet, but I’m pushing him in that direction. He’s already 61 so who knows which direction they’ll send him.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Christ that’s from COVID?

Every time I hear a story from someone who survived this poo poo it blows my mind again.

Just the flu, bro.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Christ that’s from COVID?

Every time I hear a story from someone who survived this poo poo it blows my mind again.

Just the flu, bro.

Outcomes from getting covid are all over the map and it seems to be a roll of the dice just how bad you end up getting it. I don't think there'd be as many idiots saying stupid stuff if everyone who ended up with it ended up hospitalized or had blood leaking from their eyes or something. Multiple dudes at the office ended up with covid last year, none ended up hospitalized, and only a few seemed to have developed lasting side effects, the worst of which seems to be muted taste/smell.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not yet, but I’m pushing him in that direction. He’s already 61 so who knows which direction they’ll send him.

That's good to hear. It would also add to his schedule and routine, going to appointments and doing exercises. I'm just glad he survived and is putting foots in asses on facebook.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
I've got morons at work saying "herp derp, I already had covid so I don't need to get the vaccine!"

We're doomed.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bored As gently caress posted:

I've got morons at work saying "herp derp, I already had covid so I don't need to get the vaccine!"

We're doomed.

One of my bosses won't get the vaccine because it might make him sick

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Defenestrategy posted:

Outcomes from getting covid are all over the map and it seems to be a roll of the dice just how bad you end up getting it. I don't think there'd be as many idiots saying stupid stuff if everyone who ended up with it ended up hospitalized or had blood leaking from their eyes or something. Multiple dudes at the office ended up with covid last year, none ended up hospitalized, and only a few seemed to have developed lasting side effects, the worst of which seems to be muted taste/smell.

I'd be loving angry just with muted taste/smell. I looked forward to getting fat, goddamnit, let me enjoy it

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I know exp varies, but going to PT/OT therapy team was extremely helpful to me, and my team worked hard to keep people as independent as possible, even with their older patients. Mine was TBI, not COVID.

Rona wrecked my sense of smell, and taste made even worse (I lost much of the sense of taste due to a surgery side effect). poo poo sucks.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I take care of inpatients with covid both before they go into the icu, and after. Covid absolutely destroys people. Brain bleeds, strokes, dialysis dependent kidney failure, covid toes and finger tips (microthromboses and pressor use causes their fingers and toes to turn black and necrotize), profound physical debility that they’ll really never recover from. But their lungs are the worst. We call it concrete lung. Even 8-12 weeks after the virus left their body their lungs just can’t ever heal. What’s left is these completely fibrosed, partly collapsed, barely even useable lungs. Called concrete lung because on CT scan it looks like a black and white image of a concrete sidewalk. We have been getting some people lung transplants but others just live the rest of their natural lives on some form of constant home oxygen or tracheostomy and home ventilator.

It’s probably the most destructive respiratory virus I’ve ever seen in my entire career and the scary thing is it isn’t some rare fluke one-off like crytpcoccus gattii or something. Our icu’s are currently full.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Even though so few people watch commercials anymore, I feel like there should be "this is a healthy lung...and this is a COVID lung...any questions?" PSA running nationwide.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GD_American posted:

I'd be loving angry just with muted taste/smell. I looked forward to getting fat, goddamnit, let me enjoy it

My gf lucked out. She did lose a lot of her sense of taste, but her spice tolerance has gone through the roof so now she is trying out all the stuff she couldn't handle before.

She even made that "i'm the captain now" meme at me one time cause I took a bite of her food and had to go to the fridge for milk. Only "I'm the spice lord now"

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Imagine signing up as an organ donor and having one of your lungs transplanted into some village idiot who just had their raspatory system shredded by covid because they refused to get vaccinated.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I would t think there’s a whole lot of transplants happening right now, what with the ICUs being full and all.

There’s probably a fair amount of triage going on.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

DDDDDuane with the top comment posted:

REALLY?
What a MORONIC slant here…
Everyone who gets hit by a truck or mangled on a motorcycle ALSO dies of CONvid…
Phil’s mistake was going into a hospital to be MURDERED by “AMA protocols”…

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CainFortea posted:

My gf lucked out. She did lose a lot of her sense of taste, but her spice tolerance has gone through the roof so now she is trying out all the stuff she couldn't handle before.

She even made that "i'm the captain now" meme at me one time cause I took a bite of her food and had to go to the fridge for milk. Only "I'm the spice lord now"

She can go wreck all the hot wings challenges at local restaurants! It's a lovely consolation prize but take fun where you can find it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

For a second I thought that was John de Lancie and got worried

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The internet really was a mistake.

We gave the dumbest, most bored fuckers alive a place to broadcast it to the entire world and look what it got us.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CainFortea posted:

Does that have any effect on pepper spray? Like, is it rendered nil because of the covid side effects? Or CS for that matter?

Might be a slight uptick in the numbers of kids that go through boot having a quality gas chamber experience.

Covid, killing the right wing while making the left wing immune to common protest countermeasures.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hearing his Kidneys might be toast too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1422192322607927297

Proclick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Blind Rasputin posted:

I take care of inpatients with covid both before they go into the icu, and after. Covid absolutely destroys people. Brain bleeds, strokes, dialysis dependent kidney failure, covid toes and finger tips (microthromboses and pressor use causes their fingers and toes to turn black and necrotize), profound physical debility that they’ll really never recover from. But their lungs are the worst. We call it concrete lung. Even 8-12 weeks after the virus left their body their lungs just can’t ever heal. What’s left is these completely fibrosed, partly collapsed, barely even useable lungs. Called concrete lung because on CT scan it looks like a black and white image of a concrete sidewalk. We have been getting some people lung transplants but others just live the rest of their natural lives on some form of constant home oxygen or tracheostomy and home ventilator.

It’s probably the most destructive respiratory virus I’ve ever seen in my entire career and the scary thing is it isn’t some rare fluke one-off like crytpcoccus gattii or something. Our icu’s are currently full.

Sorry, but I’ve come from the Internet and am armed with a quiver full of Alex Berenson tweets to tell you exactly why you are wrong and misleading the public for what’s a glorified flu. Did you know that if someone got eaten by a shark and had a positive COVID test the CDC would call it a COVID death?

My younger sister is an MD who had to do a few rotations through the COVID ICU, and she confirmed that there are a number of people who talk like that even as they’re struggling to breathe or before they’re getting put on a ventilator. It’s horrifying.