Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/wdsu/status/1422235838956642313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Well that's a nightmare headline right there.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:coolzone:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ladybugs Graham has a breakthrough covid case.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've resigned myself to COVID having no real karma-seeking attributes. Herman Cain will always probably be the biggest chud self-inflicted casualty.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1422283901393854464?s=20

Seems like they should know this kind of thing.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

pantslesswithwolves posted:

My younger sister is an MD who had to do a few rotations through the COVID ICU, and she confirmed that there are a number of people who talk like that even as they’re struggling to breathe or before they’re getting put on a ventilator. It’s horrifying.

Yeah, my ICU nurse friend has some horror stories of patients dying and asking her what they're dying of and then screaming at her about how covid's not real after she tells them they're dying of covid.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lmao making your work force homeless makes zero economic sense.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah, my ICU nurse friend has some horror stories of patients dying and asking her what they're dying of and then screaming at her about how covid's not real after she tells them they're dying of covid.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, my wife’s hair-lady will not accept that her (the hair lady’s) father died of COVID. It’s old age or his underlying conditions or poor diet or whatever. Never mind he experienced bad coughing, O2 stats dropped, and then needed a ventilator before dying in summer 2020. She just won’t bring herself to accept it.

She also hardcore Catholic, white, and voted Trump so….

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PookBear posted:

Says you. This spreadsheet showing 1.2% increase in profits in Q3 says otherwise.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

PookBear posted:

Can't work from home if you're homeless. Get in the mines

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Thwomp posted:

Despite all evidence to the contrary, my wife’s hair-lady will not accept that her (the hair lady’s) father died of COVID. It’s old age or his underlying conditions or poor diet or whatever. Never mind he experienced bad coughing, O2 stats dropped, and then needed a ventilator before dying in summer 2020. She just won’t bring herself to accept it.

She also hardcore Catholic, white, and voted Trump so….

Those factors you listed in order of increasing importance. Here's what the American bishops say:

quote:

“Receiving one of the COVID-19 vaccines ought to be understood as an act of charity toward the other members of our community. In this way, being vaccinated safely against COVID-19 should be considered an act of love of our neighbor and part of our moral responsibility for the common good.”

and the Pope:

quote:

"I believe that morally everyone must take the vaccine," the pontiff said in a Jan. 10 interview for Italy's TG5 news program. "It is the moral choice because it is about your life but also the lives of others."

"I do not understand why some say that this could be a dangerous vaccine," said Francis. "If the doctors are presenting this to you as a thing that will go well and doesn't have any special dangers, why not take it?"

"There is a suicidal denialism that I would not know how to explain but today people must take the vaccine," the pontiff continued.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/gettysport/status/1421864125941047297?s=21

https://twitter.com/reuterssports/status/1422097335111360512?s=21

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

Those factors you listed in order of increasing importance. Here's what the American bishops say:

and the Pope:

Or quiet simply God helps those who help themself.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

PookBear posted:

In theory the market should adjust because nobody can afford the higher rent, so landlords will have to lower rents.

In real life, this is going to be a humanitarian crisis to rival Covid itself.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Does that have any effect on pepper spray? Like, is it rendered nil because of the covid side effects? Or CS for that matter?

Might be a slight uptick in the numbers of kids that go through boot having a quality gas chamber experience.

Covid, killing the right wing while making the left wing immune to common protest countermeasures.

Covid will make ANTIFA supersoldiers a real thing

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

WH Economic Adviser Gene Sperling posted:

No, I do not, I was just identifying what a more targeted estimate of the number of people who say in surveys that they feel at some point, not, yknow just at some point, and that's why, and that's why I'm saying the assistance is so important, because you could hit a sizable impact of people who could be at risk each month, if everybody was operating, it could be a meaningful number, though, y'know, every eviction is a heartbreaking, uh, y'know, so I don't want to play down those who might, who, who could still face it, uh but just to stress that the state and local governments accelerating, we're at 290,00, if it keeps getting larger and larger every month and if it sustains for several months, that, it could have a sizable impact

Is this motherfucker seriously performing deleted scenes from Dr. Strangelove?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 2, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

GoGoGadget posted:

Covid will make ANTIFA supersoldiers a real thing

Why is that? Because antifa got vaccinated and will be able to walk without getting winded from covid?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

In theory the market should adjust because nobody can afford the higher rent, so landlords will have to lower rents.

In real life, this is going to be a humanitarian crisis to rival Covid itself.

No, because landlords have multiple options. They can get by on lower occupancy, or combine two units into a single luxury unit.

Supply and demand only works when there are substitute goods at different price/quality levels.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The fed will just bail out landlords

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

Why is that? Because antifa got vaccinated and will be able to walk without getting winded from covid?

That or they got covid and are now immune to tear gas

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=20

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

PookBear posted:

No, because landlords have multiple options. They can get by on lower occupancy, or combine two units into a single luxury unit.

Supply and demand only works when there are substitute goods at different price/quality levels.

How much lower occupancy can they get by on though? There are fixed costs to having a rental unit. At the very least property taxes will still be collected even if the property owner just lets it rot to the detriment of the rest of the property.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/dani__battaglia/status/1422263645795459078?s=20

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

goddammit

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

No no nonononono please tell me that's a new onion

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Defenestrategy posted:

How much lower occupancy can they get by on though?
The question is how much lower occupancy for what duration can they get by on. If they kick out half their tenants, but there's high demand for units in the neighborhood and too few openings, they'll just rapidly fill back up (probably while charging higher rent and/or refusing to provide any basic maintenance that won't result in imminent collapse of the property).

If, however, the state were to erect a few quality, transit- and job-adjacent mid-rises we'd undercut those assholes with better options, pressuring rents down as landlords realize they actually have to compete for tenants.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

How much lower occupancy can they get by on though? There are fixed costs to having a rental unit. At the very least property taxes will still be collected even if the property owner just lets it rot to the detriment of the rest of the property.

They can stay solvent longer than most people are willing to be homeless

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I've heard ~12 million. ~3% of the population.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've heard ~12 million. ~3% of the population.

That's probably enough people to march on the Capitol and really make a point this time.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Defenestrategy posted:

PookBear posted:

Yeah, this. The costs of a property staying empty aren't exactly high and it's not like it will be taking on much in the way of maintenance or wear and tear, either.

Not that landlords are necessarily rational in the first place.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

PookBear posted:

It's not some sort of boycott of the prices, it's people literally unable to afford it. Unless there's some weird way of getting into an apartment when proof of income is required or evictions are no longer thing?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

This sounds like fertile ground for some investigative journalism:

quote:

Sen. Danny Britt, a Lumberton Republican, said his colleagues have told him they support the intent behind the original bill draft, which would have banned all child marriages, but couldn’t vote to pass it because they either married as minors, married a minor or know someone who married as a minor.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Defenestrategy posted:

It's not some sort of boycott of the prices, it's people literally unable to afford it. Unless there's some weird way of getting into an apartment when proof of income is required or evictions are no longer thing?

They didn't dismantle the police state.

They didn't eliminate the prison system.

They didn't repeal the 14th amendment.

They allow federally prohibited weed.

There's record breaking unemployment and an impending eviction crisis.

They're making an unterclass of "potential felons" that don't have constitutional rights.

They know exactly what they're doing because all the right industries will profit from our imprisonment, and allows for a lot of plausible deniability AND popular support for mass incarceration because Americans hate the poor.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

They didn't dismantle the police state.

They didn't eliminate the prison system.

They didn't repeal the 14th amendment.

They allow federally prohibited weed.

There's record breaking unemployment and an impending eviction crisis.

They're making an unterclass of "potential felons" that don't have constitutional rights.

They know exactly what they're doing because all the right industries will profit from our imprisonment, and allows for a lot of plausible deniability AND popular support for mass incarceration because Americans hate the poor.

I don't think they're gonna house all these people they evict

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Think of all the jobs created in making a prison!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
They're being advised by the wall street companies using the money from the fed to buy housing so it's a win win for capital!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Grip it and rip it posted:

I don't think they're gonna house all these people they evict

Charge 'em $42 a day for the privilege of sitting in jail; a debt that can never be discharged except by paying it and is punishable by 6 months of jail each time you don't pay - which will cost you $42 a day to serve.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Think of all the jobs created in making a prison!

Prison labour being used to build more prisons would be Peak America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

INFINITE GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWTH