Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Seeing tweets saying that Dostum has fled to Uzbekistan so that's not a great sign for the "federal" government

tbh Dostum is probably the guy Afghanistan needs now. Sure he'll be a dictator but at least he can lead strongly until he gets coup'd and the next guy comes along.

I'm sad about the Hazara to the north who were really screwed under the Taliban in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Will be interesting to see China's relations with the Taliban as they share a border. If big Red cozies up with the Taliban how will it affect their handling of Xinjiang? Seems like the next big islamist target will be China and they'll eventually poke the wasp's nest in the next 20 years

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Godholio posted:

The videos showing a few thousand people on the ramp at the airport really have me concerned.

Looks like they're trying
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42005/800-people-evacuated-from-kabul-aboard-a-single-c-17-cargo-jet-reports

https://twitter.com/vcdgf555/status/1427038833195950080

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Sentinel posted:

I think we all know what we're in for in the next coming days and weeks. And i really wish i could be optimistic about it but mercy doesn't seem like their style.

Taliban isn't ISIS, maybe i'm sounding optimistic but you don't think 10 years of smartphones and access to tiktok/bollywood/k-dramas hasn't made an impact on your average talib?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

My internal thought is that the sadly inevitable doesn't become any less sad when it actually happens.

I agree. Good on him for finally doing it and resisting the urge to counter-invade (except for the airport takeover), but he owns the clusterfuck.

Don’t forget as VP Biden was opposed to the surge. He went along with it because Obama wanted it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/world/14biden.html

not saying it’s not his problem. but he was a voice of dissent from way back

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 16, 2021

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
anyone here volunteer with refugee resettlement services? wondering about the work involved and degree of involvement people can have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Lmao and I thought it was a crew chief who had fallen out