Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for July, 2021?
This poll is closed.
:vd: Shingo Takagi (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 25 25.77%
Miyu Yamashita (Princess of Princess Champion) 3 3.09%
:sweep: Kenny Omega (AEW World Champion) 8 8.25%
Utami Hayashishita (World of Stardom Champion) 1 1.03%
:yohoho: Minoru Fujita (Super Asia Champion) 5 5.15%
:viconia: Jake Lee (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) 1 1.03%
:thurman: Bianca Belair (Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 1.03%
:anime: Bobby Lashley (WWE Champion) 0 0%
Naomichi Marufuji (GHC Champion) 0 0%
:pkmnwhy: Rhea Ripley (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
:troll: Charlotte Flair (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
:sg: Nikki A.S.H (Raw Women's Champion) 1 1.03%
Asuka/VENY (FORMER Beyond the SEA Champion) 1 1.03%
:zoro: Ryo Mizunami (Beyond the SEA Champion) 0 0%
:unsmigghh: Dr. Britt Baker DMD (AEW Women's Champion) 3 3.09%
:zerg: Rush (FORMER ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:jihad: Bandido (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
Shun Skywalker (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 3 3.09%
:murder: Nick Gage (FORMER GCW Champion) 4 4.12%
:rodimus: Matt Cardona (GCW Champion) 37 38.14%
:smaug: Drew Parker (BJW Death Match Heavyweight Champion 3 3.09%
:aaaaa: None of the Above 1 1.03%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

In terms of relevance and importance as the Ace of their respective divisions/companies and the quality of their matches and promos, Kenny and Shingo are well ahead of the rest of the pack with Roman in a distant third out of the wrestlers I've seen. (Which reminds me I need to get back into STARDOM, I totally forgot the 5-Star was here and Utami seems like she's crushing it as Champ). Miyu deserves a nod but I don't think a champ who goes out in the quarterfinals ought to get the nod as Champ Of The Month when she's up against what Kenny and Shingo were doing this month, and as amazing as Fujita's title defense was (and a great way to spend my first full episode of Gatoh Move) its just not enough to earn my vote.

But then there's Matt Cardona and NICK. loving. GAGE. This is the story that has the wrestling world buzzing. Kenny's work building the Hangman match, the Elimination Tag, his title defense on Impact, they were all great content that reaffirmed Kenny's status as the most important character in wrestling right now. Shingo defeating the Ace Of The Universe in the drat Tokyo Dome after finally winning the big one and permanently cementing his Main Eventer status? That's incredibly important in the grand scheme of New Japan and by extension wrestling at large. But none of those things were true game-changers. The Gage-Cardona feud, and the simultaneous nobody-saw-it-coming crossover to AEW, took an indy fed that nobody was paying much attention to and made it the center of the Wrestling Multiverse basically overnight. That's a game changer, and when a Champ does a Game Changer, they're Champ Of The Month.

My vote is going to MDK over Cardona, reserve the right to switch my vote if its going to make a difference in the poll outcome. Not to disparage Matt and everything he's done to find himself on the indy circuit, how brilliant his work in this feud was, or how well he's already carrying himself as the Heel Champion, but in my eyes Gage needs to get the credit for this moment being what it is. All those years of building himself into a living legend of Indy Wrestling and Death Matches culminated in both this title change, and when you throw in the instant classic he put on with Jericho main-eventing an AEW Dynamite, the nod HAS to go his way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU