Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i can't believe that chicken pox parties were a thing. i get it, there was no vaxx at the time and no one wanted shingles but.... gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think my favourite bit of that quote is that he thinks they can’t find 20k vaccinated New Yorkers to sell out MSG lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

leftist heap posted:

I think my favourite bit of that quote is that he thinks they can’t find 20k vaccinated New Yorkers to sell out MSG lol

Honestly that was the biggest chud tell in the whole spiel.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They said that Dana White offered Khabib $100m to fight Floyd Mayweather and he turned it down.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Embedded 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csJ_xznnWhk

0:00 - 1:28: Gane trains with his coach, who lets us know he hits hard
1:29 - 2:28: Aldo trains, and hops in the sweat box
2:35 - 3:48 Chiesa and plugs a phone/mobile strategy game - Lords Mobile. Yup - the entire segment was about that game, and how it's strategic base helps him prepare during fight week (also takes his mind off stuff, which I get)
3:50 - 4:28 Munhoz gets an orange tea delivery from Gilbert Burns while signing scribbling onto posters
4:30 - 5:12 Luque is interviewed/films his pre-fight shadow boxing/poses (no pregnant women on stools spraying water out of frame thankfully)
5:13 - 6:02 Chiesa is interviewed/films his pre-fight shadow boxing/poses, burning ~200 calories flexing (again, no pregnant women on stools spraying water out of frame thankfully)
6:03 - 6:23 Aldo signs posters with Tecia, and she comments "yours is really small..." He apologizes, and she responds with "I love it!". Maybe precision beats power, and timing beats speed with signing posters
6:24 - 6:48 Chiesa joins in with the poster signing, and stans a bit for Aldo :swoon:
6:50 - 8:06: Gane shows off his signing and dancing skills, then watches a clip of Lewis' famous "My balls was hot" clip. Gane then provides a couple French translations of that phrase. I like the "my nuts is overheated" one
8:08 - end: Lewis is interviewed/films his pre-fight shadow boxing/poses (no pregnant women on stools spraying water out of frame thankfully - I'm now convinced Dana hired her to manual run one of the 19 fountains that flow into one of his 23 pools)

For anyone confused on the pregnant woman thing - there was an old pic of a pregnant woman on a stool (out of frame) using a water bottle to spray mist onto the fighter as they do their shadow boxing clip. Can't find that image anymore. Also google image searching for "UFC Woman spraying" is not advised unless you want to see the Justine Kish match where "an accident" happens.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jones vs Stipe is a great match up and I am keen as hell to get super hype for that only for it to fall apart fight weekend.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Kris Moutinho had an AMA on reddit today and it is legitimately one of the better I have seen.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/oyo0fw/hi_reddit_i_am_ufc_fighter_kris_moutinho_ama

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

quote:

(Boston accent) guy for real, ask me anything

His corner was saying a lot of stuff before the fight so I had to do what I had to do - we're from Massachusetts, if you're from here you know what I'm talking about.
This guy'll never have to buy a coffee at Dunks again.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

this is real cool, and respect to cejudo for actually moderating the conversation well, because mike is absolutely zooted

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

nordichammer posted:

Kris Moutinho had an AMA on reddit today and it is legitimately one of the better I have seen.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/oyo0fw/hi_reddit_i_am_ufc_fighter_kris_moutinho_ama

lmao someone asks if his iron chin is magnetic and he replies

quote:

It's magnetic to fists judging by the last fight - but we're going to fix some things and fine tune it for the next one."

mewse
May 2, 2006

WTF Henry Cejudo can hold a conversation??????

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Brut posted:

lmao someone asks if his iron chin is magnetic and he replies

I saw that and appreciated his sense of humor about himself.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

what if his cringe was all just a............no... i can't bear the thought

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

mewse posted:

WTF Henry Cejudo can hold a conversation??????

He's actually really bad at keeping the character up, even in the middle of cutting one of those dumb promos I've seen him just turn to the side and seemingly just ask someone a regular rear end question. Now that he's not actively fighting he's generally fine.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

i can't believe that chicken pox parties were a thing. i get it, there was no vaxx at the time and no one wanted shingles but.... gently caress

Way off topic but you have the pox and get Shingles later in life ....

I know 😥

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cejudo was great on Rogan.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

cejudo is great haters gonna hate

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
He's always done pretty good interviews when he's being himself and not his crazy alter ego or whatever the heck he does when he goes off. Not that he doesn't remind us enough but he is an Olympian (ugh) and an elite level athlete despite his goofy antics so he often has a lot to say about training and the industry and all that good stuff that us hardcores like.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cejudo clearly grasped that busting out a character that says invariably stupid poo poo will get you on the screen and that with the proper time to round out his skill set, he can actually back up anything he says.

There's not that much point in keeping that character up now outside of soundbites after big events for a follower bump.

Imagine saying "keep my name out of your mouth" and "you mightn't be so lucky next time" to a dude who choked you the gently caress out and if he came across you in the streets or a dark alley, could strangle you again until you died from asphyxiation without really breaking a sweat.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Conor is doing a great job of playing a heel cause man I want Khabib to come back and dribble his skull off the mat until his brains leak out his ears

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gramps posted:

Conor is doing a great job of playing a heel cause man I want Khabib to come back and dribble his skull off the mat until his brains leak out his ears

I find it more gratifying when Conor doesn't get what he wants and throws a continual temper tantrum.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Like, he's obviously fine with losing fights and getting the poo poo kicked out of him because that's pretty much all he does, so why book the fight and let him make money doing it?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
So I wanted to follow up on last weekend's card, specifically this:

Brut posted:

Wait a minute...

28-28, 29-27 and 29-28...

There was a 10-8 round for Witt?

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/12230/Jason-Witt-vs-Bryan-Barberena

What did you folks think about this fight? If you haven't seen it, it's pretty loving fun, go check it out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

So I wanted to follow up on last weekend's card, specifically this:

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/12230/Jason-Witt-vs-Bryan-Barberena

What did you folks think about this fight? If you haven't seen it, it's pretty loving fun, go check it out.

I thought it was a good fight but yeah that the score cards were a bit strange

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
In the moment I remember thinking 28-28 was correct, but now that I'm looking at this, I'm apparently agreeing with John Morgan (mmajunkie) and Tony Weeks, and literally nobody else, so I'm kinda doubting myself. :shrug:

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

TheReverend posted:

Way off topic but you have the pox and get Shingles later in life ....

I know 😥

Me too! I was lucky it was only a very mild case of the shingles. I can’t imagine dealing with a more severe case.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Manel Kape missed weight by 3 pounds. What a letdown his UFC run's been.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Troy Queef posted:

Manel Kape missed weight by 3 pounds. What a letdown his UFC run's been.

Well speaking of MMA Decisions, he clearly won his previous fight and was screwed pretty badly. I've got no love in my heart for missing weight but I still want him to take the fight tomorrow because he's had a rough run

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/11741/Matheus-Nicolau-vs-Manel-Kape

mewse
May 2, 2006

*quiet slav voice* I think Conor is drunk or something

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We doin' goonweight fo this one?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

CommonShore posted:

We doin' goonweight fo this one?

oops, yes, gimme a few minutes.

Brut fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 6, 2021

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Embedded 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Lwx3eBtB8
0:00 - 0:59: Munhoz gets a good workout in while outdoors.
1:00 - 1:42: Angie makes an appearance! :swoon: (man I'm using that emoji alot with her). Love her RPG to MMA analogy.
1:43 - 2:15: Jessica Penne trains for her fight. She's been in some really tough/damaging fights, so I'm glad she's still able to compete. However, I'll be cheering for Karolina. I didn't realize she's lost her last 3 :(
2:18 - 2:58: Gane answers some questions in a small UFC presser. You get to see Anik, and Olivi in their casuals.
3:00 - 4:30: Lewis answers some questions in a small UFC presser - This might be the best prepared Lewis we've seen. DC gives some great advice at the end.
4:40: Fighters arrive for the official presser
4:44: Dana comments how lean Lewis looks. Lewis has a nice response.
6:18: Highlight of the video. Not gonna spoil it.
7:08: Edit - Nope, this is the highlight of this vid. A French reporter asks Lewis how would he feel about possibly losing to a Frenchman in his home city. Lewis' response gets a laugh from everyone, even Gane.
7:58 - Lewis and Gane face off, and Dana almost shits himself. One of them grabs the interim belt from Dana - *music cresendos* PPV splash page - end clip.

Edit : Thanks again Brut for the Goonweight organization. It makes these events even more exciting.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

That oildome video fuckin killed me.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Embedded 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_agdtXGaI

0:10 - 0:58: Lewis admires a local graffiti artists' rendition of the fight poster (we might get a glimpse of Lewis' significant other at the end?)
1:00 - 3:02 - Official weigh-ins in some hotels conference room (Faber that little fink helps himself to the fruit cup snacks)
3:03 - 4:25: Gane and his brother hit some video golf
4:27 - end: Ceremonial weigh-ins. Dana is reminded he's not effective at restraining heavyweights

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Did no one give him the new kit? Honestly Venum doesn't seem to give a poo poo, so maybe no one did.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Wholesome little video with Aldo. He always seems like a really genuine guy. And I always have a soft spot for the Brazilians who don't bother learning English and who stay living and training in Brazil. Jessica Andrade is another one like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOETwemaZqk

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Like, he's obviously fine with losing fights and getting the poo poo kicked out of him because that's pretty much all he does, so why book the fight and let him make money doing it?

Yeah his leg snapping under him didn't make him any less annoying.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
UFC 265 thread

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/8/...er-pay-mma-news

actually, i think it's you who is taking money out of the fighters pockets, ya twat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/HelenYeeSports/status/1424241403090067456?s=20