Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Who was it that dropped out and led to the Mendes fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

GTO posted:

Who was it that dropped out and led to the Mendes fight?

Aldo. Rib injury, I think.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Anybody doing a game day thread? If not I'll copy pasta CommonShore's post about it and leave it at that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think this is breaking news? They just announced on the broadcast tonight that Rose x Weili 2 for the MSG card this Nov is official

E: https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1431814850120806400?s=20

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 29, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hunh, this is pretty lovely of Firas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcgysJx3T3I&t=100s

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Trying to think of why it's lovely exactly :thunk: if a guy doesn't want to roll with girls or vice versa then what's wrong?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I got about a minute into it where he talked about the girl having an affair with her coach as a reason he doesn't roll with women and stopped watching, that was gross enough for me

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Giga is loving fast.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

chaleski posted:

I got about a minute into it where he talked about the girl having an affair with her coach as a reason he doesn't roll with women and stopped watching, that was gross enough for me

Trying to avoid drama in your gym is a legit reason.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

His main general argument is that it's impossible to avoid having impure thoughts about a woman you're rolling with unless she's sufficiently ugly.
He clearly doesn't believe people who claim they can do that. I wonder what he has to say about a straight man and gay man rolling, or two gay men rolling?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I can see a lot of legit reasons for not wanting to roll with women. Being too horny sure is a weird one though

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Giga is loving fast.

Just finished watching last nights main event, and very much agree. I wonder how well he'll do against more wrestling-focused fighters. If they match him against Holloway, that should be a banger (but probably not much of a test of his grappling).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dana indicated they might cut Kevin Lee

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Dana indicated they might cut Kevin Lee

Thank goodness Sam Alvey is safe though.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

kimbo305 posted:

His main general argument is that it's impossible to avoid having impure thoughts about a woman you're rolling with unless she's sufficiently ugly.
He clearly doesn't believe people who claim they can do that. I wonder what he has to say about a straight man and gay man rolling, or two gay men rolling?

Big Nog sez no

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/813004-ufc-news-antonio-rodrigo-nogueria-would-not-train-with-a-gay-student

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Can someone post the Brazilian national anthem?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

Can someone post the Brazilian national anthem?

didn't want to gently caress my wife
had no testes all my life

had it bad, fever, dengue
we cannot roll if you are gay

was too well trained, my knee was sprained
had the flu, was feeling drained

it was not roids, 'twas novodex
off to japan, where they don't test

i hurt my back and my knees too
failed a drug test from barbeque

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

kimbo305 posted:

Ah ya that's stupid i figured it was like an i'm married / wife could be jealous thing or something. I should have watched more than the first 30s ty.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

Too much wine in my hotel room,
Voodoo hexed with spells of doom

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TheKingslayer posted:

incredible as always

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Through most of my BJJ career I was the lightest in my classes by a good margin so I always had to roll with women I never gave a poo poo, you're there to do Jiu Jitsu. Although sometimes with some full guard passes female training partners would be less than sensitive to say - the vulnerabilities of a male training partner - especially with the pass where you drive your knee through to take half guard.

I'm ready to anoint Kevin Lee the lightweight Brandon Vera, you couldn't ask for a better fighter on paper when you look at his resume and camps etc but the dude just seems to suck at two weight classes rather than be dominant at either one. Maybe he'll have a future in One FC on all kinds of supplements like Vera too.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Tyron Woodley cleanly knocked out peak Robbie Lawler.

And yet...I just...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Divine intervention to punish the world for having an enjoyable champion and to force Tyron Woodley into our lives.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Woodley was a bad champ, but his wonderboy fights are just all time loving stinkers. Sometimes you just gotta throw the shot and hope it works out for you. I think the guys had world class yips for years. At some point being a fighter was working for him but goddamn does he sucks poo poo. I'm even fine if woodley reads this and wants to beat my rear end because rather than knocking me out he'd hug the nearest wall and always have the potential to devastatingly knock me to but never do it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i hate the woodley / wonderboy fights because i can't even say he didn't have the right idea. woodley threw roughly 4 punches in 50 minutes and 2 of them nearly decapitated wonderboy. on paper woodley / wonderboy will suck in every iteration of the fight across dimensions forever. it is the promotion's fault for booking it a second time. there is literally no excusing that.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
What kills me is Woodley always seemed like a nice guy. (Maybe I missed something there.) But constantly getting poo poo on by Dana and co. - so I rooted for him even more. And he just disappointed every turn.

Southpaugh posted:

I'm even fine if woodley reads this and wants to beat my rear end because rather than knocking me out he'd hug the nearest wall and always have the potential to devastatingly knock me to but never do it.
:lol:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I always forget how niche and unknown our little sport is by the general public until I go and read other forums on this very website and see goons recounting the exploits of Conner McGreggor and Tito Tortiz

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

VagueRant posted:

What kills me is Woodley always seemed like a nice guy. (Maybe I missed something there.) But constantly getting poo poo on by Dana and co. - so I rooted for him even more. And he just disappointed every turn.

:lol:

woodley always seemed cool. and he was right when he said that mma fans stink and dana is a big dickhead. unfortunately his fights suck rear end.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Woodley was never good and his KO against Robbie was somehow not valid I'll find an explanation for it in a little bit just trust me on this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
tell me you've never watched a Tyron Woodley fight without telling me you've never watched a Tyron Woodley fight

https://twitter.com/SupahMariio/status/1432195523369447424

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

congrats to twitter for figuring out something might be up with that fight

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Memento posted:

tell me you've never watched a Tyron Woodley fight without telling me you've never watched a Tyron Woodley fight

https://twitter.com/SupahMariio/status/1432195523369447424

this seemed bad even for him. after hurting paul with a right hand woodley proceeds to not throw a single right while paul has his back up against the ropes circling to woodley's right

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's almost the exact actions i would take if a whole lot of money was reliant on jake paul staying upright and conscious

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Or if you were Tyron Woodley.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

maybe maybe MAYBE the fight was fixed, but Jake Paul picked Woodley as his opponent precisely BECAUSE he always fights gun shy so that when Woodley would throw the fight, it would look exactly the same as all his other fights, so us super smart MMA fans would end up DEFENDING the fight as not fixed. Has anyone thought about that huh?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Marching Powder posted:

i hate the woodley / wonderboy fights because i can't even say he didn't have the right idea. woodley threw roughly 4 punches in 50 minutes and 2 of them nearly decapitated wonderboy. on paper woodley / wonderboy will suck in every iteration of the fight across dimensions forever. it is the promotion's fault for booking it a second time. there is literally no excusing that.

Woodley Wonderboy 1 was fight of the night. He was a fun fighter until he got washed and stopped throwing his hands.

He's probably the 2nd or 3rd greatest welterweight champ.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Good for Woodley!

https://twitter.com/heynottheface/status/1432717434709057537

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

He's probably the 2nd or 3rd greatest welterweight champ.

I don't know the history of the division well enough to push him further down but it seems obvious Usman surpassed him both in terms of impressive title defenses, an overall win streak and of course directly in the cage, and then of course there's GSP, so I don't think he can be 2nd.

You have to wonder how history will look at the champ who never had more than a 3 fight winning streak in the UFC.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol, drug test results: ...tested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

good for him! (and for us so we hopefully don't have to watch him fight again)