Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Sassy Witch
This poll is closed.
Magilou 33 28.45%
Oddium 9 7.76%
All of them 15 12.93%
All of them (except the problematic ones) 30 25.86%
metis, whose birthday is this month 12 10.34%
Metis cannot stop editing polls 17 14.66%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Is Eiko from FF9 a sassy witch?

I'm playing FF9 again. It's good.

She’s sassy and the best damage mage in the game I guess it counts? And I need to play 9 again, I miss the old PSX font tho and idk if I have the patience to play base PS1 Classics 9…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Is Eiko from FF9 a sassy witch?

I'm playing FF9 again. It's good.

No hat, not a sassy witch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Deal with death by screaming obscenities at the screen every time you die

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Last Celebration posted:

She’s sassy and the best damage mage in the game I guess it counts? And I need to play 9 again, I miss the old PSX font tho and idk if I have the patience to play base PS1 Classics 9…

There is a mod that adds the Playstation font to the PC version, but it does not look very good imo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That looks less sterile at least but I don’t have a PC anymore. Man, I sure need to buy a good laptop (not enough space for a proper computer) to do PC game stuff with.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Regy Rusty posted:

The way to get over getting demoralized on death is to force yourself to keep going anyway until your brain understands that death isn't a big deal after all.

drat this got heavy... we still talking about video games?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have never played any of the Tales games and only seen bits of the Zestiria X anime so I don't know what the gently caress this poll's talking about.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Sassy Witcher

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So, are any notable games coming out at all this month? I know there’s some stuff lined up for September at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Clean shaven Geralt feels uncanny valley as poo poo imho.

Larryb posted:

So, are any notable games coming out at all this month? I know there’s some stuff lined up for September at least.

I think Soul Nomad gets ported for the first time ever to Switch/PC at the end of the month. It’s a NIS (Disgaea) game that’s kinda like Ogre Battle (I think, I only played Tactics Ogre). It was pretty good from what I remember.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 1, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larryb posted:

12 Minutes looks interesting.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Death Trash
Keywe
Psychonauts 2
Hades on PS5
No More Heroes 3
the Ghost of Tsushima director’s cut

e: oh yeah, 12 Minutes

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I never die in sekiro, by quitting out when I’m low on health and resurrections and clearly about to die. Why lose xp and money like a chump?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do sassy witches always have to have anime angry eyes?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I just finished listening to an old Retronauts episode where they talk about death in videogames.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfibeZy0nGs

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Larryb posted:

Humankind is what I'm most looking forward to. It's a civ style 4x from Amplitude, creators of Endless Legend and the Endless Space series. New World is shaping up to be one of the biggest launches of the year.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I never die in sekiro, by quitting out when I’m low on health and resurrections and clearly about to die. Why lose xp and money like a chump?

yes but now you're a coward and that's much worse!!!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

victrix posted:

yes but now you're a coward and that's much worse!!!

:hmmyes:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I outsmarted the devs :smug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I outsmarted the devs :smug:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If I die in Sekiro I die in real life. It's the best motivator.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The most demoralizing part of any of the souls games is in ds2, where dying without recuperating your previous bloodstain was a permanent blemish on your character, because those souls could no longer be spent and yet were still recorded on your character sheet. Die enough times without getting your souls back and the game could potentially put you in a higher PvP bracket, even if your character’s strength didn’t improve to compensate !!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho the most demoralizing death across the five Soulsborne games was the Demon Prince because you have to wade through the lame twin minibosses with way too much HP every time and then get wasted by the real fight. Even Soul Of Cinder is cool/varied at least.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Imho the most demoralizing death across the five Soulsborne games was the Demon Prince because you have to wade through the lame twin minibosses with way too much HP every time and then get wasted by the real fight. Even Soul Of Cinder is cool/varied at least.

The first phase of demon princes doesn't take too long tbh.

Friede phase 3 was a lot more demoralising for me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

The first phase of demon princes doesn't take too long tbh.

Friede phase 3 was a lot more demoralising for me.

I guess it depends on your build, I got the idea that going ham with sword(s) and a strength/dex/quality build wouldn’t take all that long but I was running a pyromancer and it took long enough to make me think the twin demons were the real fight which made me sloppy on the umpteen runs I did to get to the second phase.

Also, I have to admit I summoned for the Friede fight, cause I like *being* summoned to learn a new boss safely and figured I should do the same for someone else sometime even if i was gonna get wrecked my first time and oops, turns out they kinda just handled everything pretty well…

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I beat nearly every dark souls 3 dlc boss on my first try (by summoning other players and hiding behind a greatshield)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

I guess it depends on your build, I got the idea that going ham with sword(s) and a strength/dex/quality build wouldn’t take all that long but I was running a pyromancer and it took long enough to make me think the twin demons were the real fight which made me sloppy on the umpteen runs I did to get to the second phase.

Also, I have to admit I summoned for the Friede fight, cause I like *being* summoned to learn a new boss safely and figured I should do the same for someone else sometime even if i was gonna get wrecked my first time and oops, turns out they kinda just handled everything pretty well…

I think that's because a fire based boss is almost immune to fire damage.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The talk about witches just reminds me about how when my fiancee was in high school, the school put on a production of The Wiz except there weren't any black people involved so it was an all white production of The Wiz

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

I think that's because a fire based boss is almost immune to fire damage.

The wiki says they’re weak to dark tho, and I am pretty loving stupid but not quite stupid enough to use fire weapons/magic on fire demons, I meant more that my damage felt subpar cause using a dark battle axe and Dark Orb wasn’t really cutting it, or at least felt slow enough to be tedious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dunno who Magilou is but that seems a poor way to store books

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There's a kickstarter for a pen & paper rpg thing called animal adventures and there are a couple of sassy magic animals there. Disclaimer: not all of the following are sassy, sassiness may vary from animal to animal, gonna post them anyway though.

Tinkermage Scottish Fold (official name Ada Lovemice and her robot Charles Baggage)
https://v.kickstarter.com/162800792...9_h264_high.mp4

Wizard Oriental Shorthair

Sorcerer Fox

And if druids count as magical:

Druid Koala

Druid Aussie

Druid Lykoi

Also, artwork and miniature for completely original class "Watcher"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Where's Manic Mailman?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Last Celebration posted:

I think Soul Nomad gets ported for the first time ever to Switch/PC at the end of the month. It’s a NIS (Disgaea) game that’s kinda like Ogre Battle (I think, I only played Tactics Ogre). It was pretty good from what I remember.

:eyepop:

For real? That's awesome, I just assumed I'd have to emulate the dang thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh I didn't know my housemate posted on here

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wuggles posted:

To continue this from the last thread, I think Hades is THE game to make you cool with dying. It’s part of the story, and every time you do you get some sort of meaningful progression out of it. Dark Souls, too. When I was playing DS2 at a good clip (pre-Smelter Demon) it finally clicked that I should be going on suicide runs for items and to explore, because unless you’re carrying 100k souls around or you’ve gone very far since your last bonfire, dying in that game is absolutely meaningless.

The three things that make me mad when I die are losing progress, having died a lot, and not being able to see how I would ever win. There’s really nothing you can do about the first. The second means it’s time to put the controller down and do something else. The third is temporary, because especially in Souls-adjacent games getting over that hump is part of the experience. Smelter Demon went from “gently caress this loving guy it’s bullshit my fists don’t do anything to him maybe I should summon” to “oh, I got greedy at the end there — I’ve got him this time.”

An example of a game where I did NOT get over the hump was the arcade mode Nagoryuki in Guilty Gear (not even the secret one). They buff his frames and damage and he doesn’t get hurt by his own super anymore. I tried about 10 times, could tell I wasn’t making any progress, and decided it wasn’t something I ever wanted to figure out how to do, which is also something you need to be able to say.

Anyway, the Waypoint episode from Tuesday had someone basically ask the same question at the end if you’re interested. They also recommended Hades.

i never had this problem in Dark Souls or Sekiro, but for some reason it's really bad for me in Path of Exile and yes, Hades

the reason i brought it up was cause ive been playing PoE this week and trying out a new build, after a bunch of balance changes and stuff, so me dying to stuff i "should" be able to handle easily is loving with me. my brain thinks i shouldn't be dying in a t2 map so i get frustrated, even though its not really a big deal. i can keep trying.

Hades though... i don't know what it is about that game. maybe its the fact that you have to start over from the beginning with each death, and see the same 4 areas over and over again with little variation, which makes the game actually seem very short--i hate repetition with little progress. maybe its the fact that healing is hard to come by, so any mistake early on in the run hurts all that much more and hangs over me the whole rest of the way. maybe it's the fact that the game *knows* you died, because the npcs comment on it, and things change, and i dont get to pretend it didn't happen.

then there's the fact that even with a ton of mirror upgrades and god mode turned on i still couldn't reliably get to hades, much less beat him. and then i hear you have to beat him a whole bunch of times to get the true ending or whatever? that just puts a giant hill in front of me that i don't want to climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Prince of Persia 08 was a good game and it's a shame it got dragged for how it didn't punish players enough for dying