Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vinestalk posted:

Cause it ignores all the context. Like when did things start getting worse?

For me it all traces back to 2015 and 2016. In 2015 they had obvious needs and bought only Cech, but they got lucky and everyone crapped the bed except for Lester. The next year Wengy panicked and bought all of the crap that it took us years to offload and we dropped out of the CL. It’s all been on the same trajectory since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
arsenal under wenger were generally 4th in the wage table, and he had them finishing at or higher than that position in the league. now do since then.

if you look at the top leagues, where clubs finish generally aligns very closely to where they are in the wages table. to expect arsenal to have finished above chelsea, man city, man utd for wengers last years is just not realistic

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

When they put the "50 Not Out" shirts on lol

i forget where i read/heard this but someone actually flagged Arsenal's defeat to Chelsea in the 2004 Champion's League as a starting point of an incredibly drawn out period of decline, which I can sort-of get behind. They were the best team in the competition and should have added a European cup to their Invincibles title, but they bottled it by conceding 2 soft goals late on and allowed Chelsea to start the process of usurping them as London's biggest club. They could have cemented themselves as one of the biggest clubs in the world, but well, lol. Either that or just all of 2006, when Lehmann got his stupid rear end sent off in the CL final and then they moved into one of the biggest architectural mistakes in all of football.

Really, there are countless moments over the last 15+ years you can point at as the moment Arsenal started/cemented their decline. I've said this multiple times on the Discord server already, but one of the better football writers really needs to publish a 500-page warts-and-all book on how loving badly they've been ran since the mid 2000s. It would be amazing.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

This statement is not factually correct, but it was definitely when Arsenal went 1-0 up in the 98th minute and still didn't win the game because Eboue pushed over a man running away from goal four minutes later for no reason, thus pissing away their chances of winning the 2010-11 title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxvo-oZc7Bs

That was also the year of the Birminghamening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nte2DRQi9kc

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

an_mutt posted:

i forget where i read/heard this but someone actually flagged Arsenal's defeat to Chelsea in the 2004 Champion's League as a starting point of an incredibly drawn out period of decline, which I can sort-of get behind. They were the best team in the competition and should have added a European cup to their Invincibles title, but they bottled it by conceding 2 soft goals late on and allowed Chelsea to start the process of usurping them as London's biggest club. They could have cemented themselves as one of the biggest clubs in the world, but well, lol. Either that or just all of 2006, when Lehmann got his stupid rear end sent off in the CL final and then they moved into one of the biggest architectural mistakes in all of football.

Really, there are countless moments over the last 15+ years you can point at as the moment Arsenal started/cemented their decline. I've said this multiple times on the Discord server already, but one of the better football writers really needs to publish a 500-page warts-and-all book on how loving badly they've been ran since the mid 2000s. It would be amazing.

I def reckon it was post Invincibles that the snowball started forming which probably gives credit to the theories about it being to do with the new stadium as well. Which goes neatly onto...

FullLeatherJacket posted:

This statement is not factually correct, but it was definitely when Arsenal went 1-0 up in the 98th minute and still didn't win the game because Eboue pushed over a man running away from goal four minutes later for no reason, thus pissing away their chances of winning the 2010-11 title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxvo-oZc7Bs

That was also the year of the Birminghamening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nte2DRQi9kc

...when Arsenal had got to the status of being a joke. The 8-2 was the start of the following season after these.

Higher ups at Arsenal obviously thought Wenger could keep bums on seats in a 60k seater where they charge a loving eye watering amount for tickets while keeping around champions league football. The plan worked to a point CL qualification wise but it's simply taken until a couple of seasons ago for Arsenal to slip to less than 4-5 other clubs on a consistent basis, the decline was there all along and it's been allowed to reach levels where it's got them nowhere near a prayer for the Champions League in yet another season.

Go back and look who Arsenal brought in to replace their star players as they trickled out of the club post 2004 and who replaced those replacements. Remember Squilacci? Djourou? Players that a mere few years before wouldn't have got a sniff of the squad nevermind a starting berth.

Arsenal needed to tread water, instead they've taken the slowest plunge from consistent top 4 to top half. Early signs point to competing for top half could be a struggle this season given that they have spent an incredible amount of money to remain about as "good" as they were last season, while plenty of other teams around where Arsenal finished last season have strengthened and so have some of the lower finishers too.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 25, 2021

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Ah yes, Eboue "pushing" a man literally jumping sideways to get between him and the ball.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

ah, an opposing player

Emmanuel Eboue's one weakness

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Let's not sell Eboue short, he also had trouble with his own players

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I saved up to get a seat in a box at the Liverpool game. Watching eboue get called for that peno was sad as all gently caress and also felt like an inevitability.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Arsenal are a fail club that could do with a season in the championship.

Same with Spurs tbh

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Guardiola says he plans to leave City in 2023 when his contract expires and then enter international management: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/25/pep-guardiola-reveals-manchester-city-departure-date-and-details-future-plans

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'm sure someone notorious for galaxy braining themselves out of one off big game wins will have a glittering international career

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Speaking of internationals:

https://mobile.twitter.com/England/status/1430877721287184392?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Go on Patrick :getin:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Hmm. Still no Andy Caroll...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Needs more right backs

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Southgate has a grudge with Greenwood huh

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Grealish nailed on to start now he plays for a big club

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frankston posted:

Grealish nailed on to start now he plays for a big club

Sancho too

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Barnes and Maddison snubbed again, quelle surprise.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Is England classed as a red listed country so no players need to be released?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.cheshire.police.uk/news/cheshire/news/articles/2021/8/man-charged-in-connection-with-serious-sexual-offences-in-cheshire/
https://www.mancity.com/news/club/club-statement-63765586

"Benjamin Mendy, aged 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault."

:stare:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Jesus Christ

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Jesus Christ

No, Mendy

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

never thought I'd see the day when Mangala wouldn't be City's worst defensive investment, although it's close run

three complainants and enough evidence to bring charges* sounds like he's in more than a spot of bother (*he'll have been entitled to anonymity up to that point, so for non-UK posters it basically means that they're intending to prosecute)

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Maybe they are bringing in Ronaldo for legal advice.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Get crocked, do rapes #sharkteam

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

hadji murad posted:

Maybe they are bringing in Ronaldo for legal advice.

lmao

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/match-of-the-day-premier-league-football-b1906082.html?amp

Lmao

quote:

The only problem? Take out the football itself, and the programme is simply dismal.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jesus. That's a terrible article. I'm not saying Match of The Day is perfect, but it seems like they want to turn it into a celeb fest chat show.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Looks like this is Michael Edwards' last season at Liverpool.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Match of the day is exactly as it should be???? A bunch of football and brief analysis between the football

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

quote:

Ideally, a sports series like this would strike a deft balance between being entertaining and informative, dissecting what’s really happening in a game of football in a way that’s accessible for the everyday fan.

that's a different show, you can have more than one show covering football

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
proper analysis like that of every match would require 3 hours at least lol

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

what if top gear but for football

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

That's Soccer AM

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

BT tried this when they first got the rights. I was a big fan of the random group of fans standing aimlessly in the studio with a random commentator in the middle giving his view on if something was a penalty or not.

MOTD is perfect at what it is. Gets through a days games with a bit of analysis in under 2 hours.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The overwhelming majority of the punditry on motd is luke warm dog poo poo, but I think anyone that really craves in depth analysis already has enough channels for that. It shows you the highlights and they talk about it a bit, and that's enough when pissed and tired on a Saturday night, or hung over and tired on a Monday morning.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

quote:

Unlike many legacy series of its ilk, Match of the Day has remained quite enduringly popular across people of all age groups

Definitely needs some big changes then. Just imagine if Frank Skinner was on!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

greazeball posted:

Definitely needs some big changes then. Just imagine if Frank Skinner was on!

Would he bring a blacked up david baddiel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

That's Soccer AM

Soccer AM is SMtv but for football

and slightly dumbed down