Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I wonder what it is that keeps match of the day popular across all age groups and demographics. If only there was some sort of common reason we could identify that everyone tuned in for, and carry on doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What Match of the Day needs is 90s clipart graphics and maybe a slime bucket that they drop on the pundits at random intervals

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
MotD is shite.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Lmao give me that person's job sounds like a whole racket

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
they should bring in alexi lalas as pundit for a few weeks so everyone can be reminded to be grateful for what they have

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

the sex ghost posted:

I wonder what it is that keeps match of the day popular across all age groups and demographics. If only there was some sort of common reason we could identify that everyone tuned in for, and carry on doing that

I think it's the theme tune

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

sassassin posted:

MotD is shite.

nice to meet you, MotD

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
i honestly feel bad for british tv viewers every time i have to watch a stream from there. the pool of commentators and pundits is absolutely loving atrocious bar one or two (efan ekoku comes to mind). it's like they purposely seek out the most miserable cunty old men they can find

give me the two robbies, rebecca, arlo white and le saux over any of the british tv regulars any day, even if we have to occasionally accept lee dixon (who is in that style of the ones out of the UK), taylor twellman and alexi lalas

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I have never once ever been in any way happy I got an American stream. sweet christ

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Bruno Fernandes looked super inform tonight vs Wolverhampton, he is still world class.

You can see the spring in his step now that he's back in his natural attacking position, after being played as an central midfielder for the majority of last season... he's back to his old self, Bruno will be a force this season along with Ronaldo and the rest of the team - United will be at the top of the prem with a couple of points to spare by November and Bruno will be the main reason for it.

We've been in more Champions League finals than any other team in the past 15 competitions, we've been in 4 finals, and we've won 2 of them... we've finished top of our group in 6 of our past 7 competitions and we'll finish top of this one too.

Of course - United being the team everybody loves to hate and under-rate (despite our evident success)... nobody is going to want to admit it, but you're going to see another Manchester United final in the 21/22 Champions League, Ole is hungry, Ronaldo is hungry, Bruno is hungry, what's for dinner? Chelsea sandwich?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Top Gear av, checks out

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

sticksy posted:

Top Gear av, checks out

this lad has never eaten a munich sandwich

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

EC10 posted:

give me the two robbies, rebecca, arlo white and le saux over any of the british tv regulars any day, even if we have to occasionally accept lee dixon (who is in that style of the ones out of the UK), taylor twellman and alexi lalas

Putting a microphone in Lee Dixon’s hand is the best thing nbcsports has ever done. It’s the only thing that makes their coverage worth watching.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Gorn Myson posted:

Looks like this is Michael Edwards' last season at Liverpool.

It says something about the reputation that he's built that everyone on the Liverpool subreddit is melting down about this. I remember pre-Klopp when most fans wanted him out.

FSG better know what they're doing. Edwards' coming into his own was one of their few unalloyed successes.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

ozmunkeh posted:

Putting a microphone in Lee Dixon’s hand is the best thing nbcsports has ever done. It’s the only thing that makes their coverage worth watching.

we must enjoy very different styles of commentary, i cant stand him. always sounds like hes having a moan, jumps to the negative, randomly makes it about himself, etc

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

EC10 posted:

we must enjoy very different styles of commentary, i cant stand him. always sounds like hes having a moan, jumps to the negative, randomly makes it about himself, etc

I fully agree. Stewart Robson on ESPN has a very similar style and demeanor, just complaining for 2 hours. I won’t miss him on Serie A broadcasts this year.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

EC10 posted:

he's even worse when commentating on a Spurs match

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

EC10 posted:

Yeah it’s great.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
arlo white had a little dig at lee dixon the other day about arsenal and he was big mad

i’ll bet he almost threw his flat cap on the floor

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

hadji murad posted:

Maybe they are bringing in Ronaldo for legal advice.

https://twitter.com/United_Wes/status/1432272231653064708?s=19

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

rofl

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

MOTD punditry is pretty awful, but it's the best variety of awful - bland and empty. It's a good middle ground between the awful extremes of grumpy old men moaning about technology, and mediocre ex-players who clearly have no tactical understanding of the game criticizing people playing and managing at levels they could only aspire to. Platitudes like "you've got to score those" are dull, but inoffensive.

I'm sure you could improve on the formula, but I'm not sure how. There's a pretty rigid set of requirements; you've got to blast through 7 or 8 games highlights, and briefly discuss all of them in relatively equal terms. You have maybe 2-3 minutes of discussion per game. There's not a huge amount of prep time either, the last game finishes about 3 hours before the show airs.

Monday Night Football is a better show to watch for entertainment, and for tactical insight, but its not really a model that MoTD could copy. Complaining that MOTD is not MNF is like complaining that the news is not Newsnight.

Also, I get that its really down to what youre used to, but American football punditry is always worse than what we get over here.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I miss the football league show with Manish in the abandoned police station

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

This was real good

For MOTD they should just remove the commentators and allow randomly selected fans to commentate on their teams highlights for 3 minutes

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

the sex ghost posted:

I really, really do miss this. I hate the fact that it's on loving Quest now, and that Colin Murray is fronting it.

I miss Manish and Steve Claridge soberly discussing the talking points of mid table League 2 clashes at half one in the morning. Please bring I back, BBC.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I miss Clem being very enthusiastic about visiting some club in the arse end of nowhere and talking about something inconsequential

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This was real good

For MOTD they should just remove the commentators and allow randomly selected fans to commentate on their teams highlights for 3 minutes

Commentary would be much improved if they had one fan of each team do commentary live and use that during motd instead of a proper commentator doing it watching recordings

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Take advantage of it being after the watershed and just let shearer do andrew dice clay bits while he's drawing lines on the pitch

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/footballlforall/status/1432719393109196809?s=21

Pardon?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

A friend of mine told me about https://www.airtime.com/ and the only thing I would consider using a live video chatroom community app for is if you could watch footy with your mates on it or make your own highlights show and let the audience comment on it. I hope they read this post

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

We’ve done voice chat in the discord for the Europa league live highlights and it’s a good time

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Lol, that didn't last long.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Lol, that didn't last long.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

That ITK:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sexual intercourse in the Arse

nal facilities

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sebzilla posted:

sexual intercourse in the Arse

nal facilities

in the arse-anal facilities?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

V. Illych L. posted: