Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Tentative future repair here.

I bought a possibly Nazi Germany Wirgin Edinex 35mm camera off of Keh's ebay page for about 15$ 5 years ago.

Mine is very similar to this model pictured:

Only differences are that mine has a Compur-Rapid shutter and a 5cm f2.9 Gewironar that is possibly a copy of the Meyer Trioplan

My first test roll came out fine other than a visible broken piece of film overlapping every frame.

I opened it up carefully and took the broken film piece out and ran two more rest rolls though it. With both other rolls, I experienced some tension followed by the film breaking. Its sat in a drawer since then.

I'm going to open it up again later this week and see if I can find any clues. The real annoying part is some of the original Edinex models had a flap on the back to help with loading the film reminiscent of Leica film bodies and my Edinex definitely does not.

I'd love to get this camera working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Megabound posted:

Tension + film breaking sounds like the take-off side being gummed up, or something catching the sprockets on advance. The nice thing about that era is all the complexity is in the shutter, all of the body mechanisms should be pretty straight forward.

Are there any specific solvents and lubricants you might suggest? I don't want to ruin any 70 year old parts.