Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks for starting the thread, Megabound -- looking forward to The Goon Repair Shop!

I have nothing recent to share, but a couple years ago I revived this thing (previously posted in the Projects thread):

And it works, albeit I make linocuts only every couple of months or so.

A more detailed repair log is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

yaffle posted:

What a great thread! I dint have the patience for tiny things like camera shutters, I would go mad. Rebuilding bicycles is about my limit.
I will share, if that's ok, my favorite fixing thing youtube channel: Hand Tool Rescue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUWOOFII144
Here he is restoring a crazy dangerous shop saw.

Ahahaah jfc that is terrifying

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
This is not exactly complex stuff, but here are some mid-restoration progress pics:

Got some chunks of rust vintage cobbler's hammers from ebay:

Decided to try some Evapo-rust after seeing the magic Hand Tool Rescue does with it. Behold, the :piss: jar:

Nice and murky after about 18 hours:

(yes, pee is stored in the balls, I know)

Highly recommending this stuff, it truly is magic:

The one on the left got a wire wheel treatment:

And both cleaned up:

Got some nice ash and cherry stock for the handles but won't get to turn them until next weekend :negative:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Megabound posted:

Shutter out of the seized one

That mechanism strongly reminds me of my grandfather's pocket watch, which is about the same vintage (+/- 20 years, I think).

edit: found some pics of it I posted in the watch thread:

Trabant fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 30, 2021

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Amazing posts Megabound and Carth Dookie!

My restoration of rusty hammers so far isn't quite as satisfying as I had hoped, but here goes anyway:

Stock I'll be using: cherry, ash, maple (for the third hammer head which arrived in the meantime)

Turned to round-ish and marked where the diameter changes (based on another handle I like):

Turned to the right shape but still cylindrical:

Now comes the tricky part: off-axis turning. Did this to get a oval handle and it was my first time doing so. You're turning a lot of air in the process and there's a lot of switching between the different positions (which were about 1/8" from center). It's not truly terrible, but it is moderately unnatural when you're used to on-center turning.:

https://i.imgur.com/jXqk8zf.mp4

After sanding on the lathe to 220 (also weird when off-center):

And with a couple of coats of Danish oil applied:

The unsatisfying parts:

(1) It doesn't look as balanced as I had hoped. I managed a pretty good approximation to the handle I like, but the head here is much smaller so the handle isn't as well-proportioned.
(2) I somehow lost the small wedge of walnut I wanted to use to set the head. Now I have to go back to the makerspace just to make a tiny, 1" x 1/2" piece so I can finish this mother :shepicide:

I have two more to make, and I'm kinda toying with the idea of just remaking this one too but that's TBD.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Yo, that's some art.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh, that could end up amazing. And thanks for the links, those will come in handy.

I've seen people do the melted beeswax treatment and it does come out very cool, although I've usually seen it done on outdoors pieces. No reason not to do it indoors though, at least once the wax is solid.

Also, if you're not opposed to painting it instead, you can always apply a dry brush treatment in a lighter colour to highlight the details since there are so many of them. I literally watched this earlier today -- should be timestamped to the right spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3LjwtAnPHc&t=645s

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Loved reading that, even though my reaction was frequently "I understand some of those words!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

yaffle posted:

stay for the hideous Canadian pizza

Calling it hideous is like calling the Pacific ocean "damp."