Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Decided to give this old Stanley Bailey hand plane a once over. Picked up a set of them and slowly going to restore all of them. This was my first time restoring something like this. Plane is circa mid 1930s.

Pre-restoration

Taken apart

All cleaned up

Side-by-side with another yet to finished

How did you clean up the metal? Gorgeous job. I appreciate your restraint in not replacing the knob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Megabound posted:

All done! The last thing to do it to shoot a roll of film and see that it's all light tight. I'm out of 120 film at the moment but I've got 20 rolls coming next week so up next will be some photos from this camera. Both of these cameras take the same film, the Plaubel is from 1936 while the Fuji was made up until 2001.

:perfect:

Thanks for that post! It was educational.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This is my mom's bridge lamp.

A bridge lamp is so-called not because of the cantilevered arm, but because they were useful in playing bridge. A bridge lamp's light is normally aimed diagonally; at the bridge table, at the book you're reading, at your darning. Bridge lamps were trendy from about the teens through the forties of the last century. Mom was an habituee of Indiana farm auctions; in the 60s and 70s, she picked up a lot of out-of-style furniture and refinished it. I treasured this one through multiple moves over thirty years.

This lamp was originally cast iron. Mom painted it harvest gold (judging by the scratches) and then white. It always had a Japanese round lantern shade. Most recently, my husband and I rewired it to hold an Ikea plastic fixture. This time around, I'm putting it back into a more-original shape.

Details:

I'm going to strip it down to the cast iron, so the details can be seen. Then I'm going to wax it (I think? suggestions welcome) to keep it from rusting. I have ordered replacement wiring and sockets from Vintage Wire's Etsy store, and a mica shade from Historic House Parts.

Vintage Wire also has a standalone store; shipping is much cheaper at the Etsy store. If you're restoring old electrical stuff, especially fans or lamps, you should check them out. Vintage Wire is for visible components, not for tubes and suchlike.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Trabant posted:

Also, if you're not opposed to painting it instead, you can always apply a dry brush treatment in a lighter colour to highlight the details since there are so many of them. I literally watched this earlier today -- should be timestamped to the right spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3LjwtAnPHc&t=645s

Ohhhh. That's beautiful. Sold, American.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BTW, this guy restores mid-century furniture, and not only are the results great, his voice is astonishingly soothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyZNNxcAlQw

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Trabant posted:

Loved reading that, even though my reaction was frequently "I understand some of those words!"
This. Watching somebody else's expertise is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Megabound posted:

Thank you, I welcome questions so if there's anything you'd like clarified please do!

What would the original bellows have been made of? And what material are shutters, or at least this shutter, made of?