Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Decided to give this old Stanley Bailey hand plane a once over. Picked up a set of them and slowly going to restore all of them. This was my first time restoring something like this. Plane is circa mid 1930s.

Pre-restoration

Taken apart

All cleaned up

Side-by-side with another yet to finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How did you clean up the metal? Gorgeous job. I appreciate your restraint in not replacing the knob.

Dry brush to remove dirt and debris. Some degreaser with a toothbrush to remove residue, then a whole lot of wire wheel on a bench grinder, with smaller wire wheels on a drill for tight spaces. Sanded the handles, oiled with teak oil then added a little beeswax on top.