Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Are we just going to ignore that Marguerite threatened to give her own daughter a double-mastectomy in that note towards the end of the video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

theenglishman posted:

Are we just going to ignore that Marguerite threatened to give her own daughter a double-mastectomy in that note towards the end of the video?

What’re the odds she’s already done so?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

theenglishman posted:

Ah, ah ah. Double Mastectomy and then cook, serve and presumably eat. Don't want to leave out the cannibalism.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Despite being an arachnaphobe, I don't tend to have trouble with CG spiders. Shelob is the only one that's ever given me a full phobic reaction (gently caress, she was well done! :cry:). That said, when I first saw these ones, my first thought was "just what I needed, spiders in the RE Engine." They're... not nice.

CzarChasm posted:

Don't want to leave out the cannibalism.

Well yeah, that goes without saying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Just wanted to call attention to how truly well the lighting holds up in this game. It's seriously amazing, better than many games of the most recent console re-generation. Just look at stuff like how Marguerite's fingers are casting a shadow on her hand, or the fire she doesn't seem to give a gently caress about causing the skin on her face to glow. It's really remarkable how this milky white/pitch black gamma range the game has makes it look like it was recorded with a GoPro or something.

I could take infinite screenshots of the horrible ugly textures in this gorgeous video game

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 23, 2021

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So an interesting detail - Ethan's right arm remains stained with blood well after the corpse diving

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
One thing I appreciate is how empty the Baker House is but at the same time you have the constant feeling that something is always around the corner, though if you are like me you just shotgun headshot all Molded the instant they spawn which leaves you free to poke around at your leisure.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It’s probably spoilers at this point but I’d like to hear how the Bakers were already crazy before whatever it is happened to them happened.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As (I can't keep the commentators voices straight) keeps saying, they're southerners.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm really not sure how to feel about this section. Update spoiler: On the one hand, neat puzzle. On the other hand, having a Resident Evil game take a hard right turn into SAW is really weird to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Coke posted:

It’s probably spoilers at this point but I’d like to hear how the Bakers were already crazy before whatever it is happened to them happened.

I mean Lucas did trap a child in the attic until he starved to death. I guess that's not on the rest of the family but you'd think they would have checked the attic once the gunk started to drip as the note mentions

quote:

April, st
Stupid Oliver keeps teasing me. "You're a crazyhead!"

April, th
I lied to Oliver. I told him to come over for my birthday party, then shut him in the attic from outside by remote control.

He kept crying. "Let me out, Lucas!"

April, th
Oliver's stopped his yelling, but sometimes I hear knocking from above.

May, nd
It REALLY stinks!
And some weird juice is dripping from the ceiling.

Anyway, since I had time, I changed the remote control trophy again.

Now it'll be shiny even at night.

edit: And also searched for the child who went missing at Lucas' birthday party but who knows maybe they did and the kid didn't turn up because he was busy starving to death in an attic

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 24, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, in the video I posited a theory that Lucas absconded with the Executioner shadow puzzle to study it! Well, I hadn't considered that he probably did actually legitimately do that, because the Executioner shadow puzzle creates an axe with the shadow! And the obviously homebrew one outside the Testing Area uses an axe to create the shadow! So he likely reverse-engineered it!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

azren posted:

I'm really not sure how to feel about this section. Update spoiler: On the one hand, neat puzzle. On the other hand, having a Resident Evil game take a hard right turn into SAW is really weird to me.

Might as well lean into other horror properties, we've already got Texas Chainsaw Massacre already in 7.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Jack is very Texas Chainsaw Massacre style slasher, while Margarite seems to draw more from transformation-based horror. Having Lucas be Saw fits well with each member being adifferent horror genre..

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Home invasion movies as well. It's like we walked onto the set of Straw Dogs minus the bear traps and infidelity.

Well no it's the south so they're all committing adultery with each other but the point still stands

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Since one of them was brought up in the video, are you guys planning to do the DLCs as well?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

azren posted:

Since one of them was brought up in the video, are you guys planning to do the DLCs as well?

Hell yeah, and just like the RE2make let's play, your DLC videos are going to be thoroughly cjacobs-touched.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It's strange how one puzzle cannot be solved by knowing the code ahead of time, but the next must be solved by knowing the code ahead of time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

OK, so stupid question. If you try the code 1408 first then the game "punishes" you and makes you go around and get the updated code off the corpse, which is 1106. What happens if you enter both codes without going through the tripwire maze? I just wonder how much redundancy is built into something like that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CzarChasm posted:

OK, so stupid question. If you try the code 1408 first then the game "punishes" you and makes you go around and get the updated code off the corpse, which is 1106. What happens if you enter both codes without going through the tripwire maze? I just wonder how much redundancy is built into something like that.

Cjacobs mentions it in the video
It keeps rotating between the three possible codes so youre always wrong until you reach the note.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sadly Ethan won't try it more than twice, saying that there are way too many combinations to try and it'd take too long. If you put in 1408 you get 1146, if you put in 1146 as your second guess it becomes the third one and the game throws you the finger.

Although hey that reminds me... a certain someone else in a recent video wouldn't attempt a combination lock because there were way too many possible combinations... hmmm... methinks Lucas just likes repeating the same tricks over and over and he's kinda running out of ideas.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Sadly Ethan won't try it more than twice, saying that there are way too many combinations to try and it'd take too long. If you put in 1408 you get 1146, if you put in 1146 as your second guess it becomes the third one and the game throws you the finger.

Although hey that reminds me... a certain someone else in a recent video wouldn't attempt a combination lock because there were way too many possible combinations... hmmm... methinks Lucas just likes repeating the same tricks over and over and he's kinda running out of ideas.

To tell the truth, with the LOSER lock I'd be tempted to go through all the possible whole words, given the available letters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

azren posted:

To tell the truth, with the LOSER lock I'd be tempted to go through all the possible whole words, given the available letters.

I mean what's he gonna do come in there and kill ya?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I mean what's he gonna do come in there and kill ya?

Hell, if I'm gonna die anyway (I wouldn't trust someone like him to have an even remotely fair game), I might as well see if I can deprive him of his amusement. :dance:

...at least if he doesn't kill me in some horribly prolonged way. :ohdear:

...which he almost certainly would. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's honestly my favorite thing about Lucas is that he can't pull off the Saw thing at all. He is not patient in any way, he does not have the patience at all for the Saw deal and it shows. You can't fail the puzzle. It takes 5 minutes and you are guaranteed to die when you begin the first step. I really meant what I said in the video, he feels so realistically psychotic where everything is completely short term and not thought through at all, run through the maze over and over to extract dopamine from it till it's dry. I would very much like to explode him with dynamite

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The choice you have to make in this part is so out of place. It's like one of the devs wanted to make a RE dating sim but this was the only thing the director approved.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

On the one hand, Zoe has been your guide throughout most of this adventure. She's been the voice on the other end of the line and has been helping you make your way out of the Baker Estate. And it's not completely altruistic, your survival means her survival and escape. She's the one who re-attaches your arm for crying out loud. Yes, sure, those appear to be staples, but she performed the bayou equivalent of major surgery Tony Stark style. Plus there's the fact that Zoe doesn't seem to be as susceptible to being possessed by whatever swamp water parasite seems to be infecting the rest of the family. But we assume that she can, and probably has in the past, as she's looking for the cure for herself.

But on the other chopped off hand...Mia is your wife. But she's clearly keeping a pretty big secret from you. She changes to Regan MacNeil at the worst possible times, has chopped off your hand with a chainsaw, attacked you repeatedly, and can't decide if she wants you to come and rescue her or stay the gently caress away and act like you never met her. I can't really think of any previous RE game where the motivating factor to continue the plot was love (Though I'm not familiar with the plot from 5, 6 or 0). And because she's acting so strangely, unpredicatably flipping from Mia to Crazy Mia, it could be maybe the wrong move to cure her.

This could be a more compelling choice if we were introduced to Zoe from the beginning, and if she was forthcoming with information while Mia was continually coy and evasive. If Zoe was the one who sent Ethan the "Come and get me" video with a line on "Your wife is being held against her will at my family's mansion in Louisiana. They are nuts, and I want out. There is some strange poo poo going on around here. Meet me there and we can discuss getting all of us out in one piece". Meet with her, have her give some intro information, then have her get called away (or dragged off) and you have to go hunting for both of them. Then maybe it would feel like a choice that mattered at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eventually I'm sure we'll find a way to show what happens when you cure Zoe but I will say right away that Ethan's justification when you do so is about the same, and it still makes sense. He says "we can go get help and come back for Mia, she's no help to anyone right now". It sucks, but he's right. Based on what he knows about the serum anyway, Zoe hasn't really had time to explain what it will do to Mia's poor tortured psyche. The choice itself is so strange and I have a theory about why they offer it to you, but I'll hold onto it for later. It's just so weird and out of left field because... why would we be the one to choose? We're not Ethan, Ethan is Ethan. He has his own thoughts and opinions on the situation. I don't really have any influence over him, why now??

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 31, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

That's honestly my favorite thing about Lucas is that he can't pull off the Saw thing at all. He is not patient in any way, he does not have the patience at all for the Saw deal and it shows. You can't fail the puzzle. It takes 5 minutes and you are guaranteed to die when you begin the first step. I really meant what I said in the video, he feels so realistically psychotic where everything is completely short term and not thought through at all, run through the maze over and over to extract dopamine from it till it's dry. I would very much like to explode him with dynamite

Yeah Lucas is great because as a character he's basically just "hey what if Jigsaw had a room temperature IQ, like most actual psychopaths"

azren
Feb 14, 2011

The problem I have with this choice is probably a personal philosophy thing; I personally feel that if you're married to someone you have a responsibility that is greater than what you have to most other people. I don't mean that there's no good reason to choose someone else over your spouse, but to me it's a very important bond.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean... Ethan must agree with you, canonically, given that he dropped everything to come here to look for Mia on the thinnest evidence after multiple years of total silence. The guy obviously cares a lot about his wife's safety whether she feels like throwing him through walls or not. Which really does just make it so strange that it's a choice because for the man himself it isn't one.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm mostly just wondering why the hell Zoe gave Ethan both syringes in the first place. Like it makes sense that Jack was too far gone to kill any other way, but they all seemed pretty safe until Jack showed up, why didn't they both just use the antidotes after they were ready to use?

What's more is... she gives Ethan one of the dang things to get rid of Jack once and for all, but she's surprised when Ethan chooses his wife over her for the other shot?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

"Hold these, we'll use them once we get away from this dangerous place" isn't that odd an idea. Especially since Mia at least can feel Jack approaching - she's babbling that "daddy's coming" while Zoe is mixing the things.

As for the other, it isn't surprise so much as losing the last bit of hope she had left.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I know I’m a bit late on this, but Lucas looks almost exactly like Armake21, one of the earliest (and better) AVGN clones from the mid-late 2000s. He doesn’t sound anything like Lucas though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Gnoman posted:

"Hold these, we'll use them once we get away from this dangerous place" isn't that odd an idea. Especially since Mia at least can feel Jack approaching - she's babbling that "daddy's coming" while Zoe is mixing the things.

As for the other, it isn't surprise so much as losing the last bit of hope she had left.

I must have missed that line in the uncut video, but it's also a little ridiculous in light of the part where Jack immediately goes after Ethan after that. Zoe couldn't have known that would happen but still, if not for the power of plot those suckers would have broken the first time Jack gave Ethan a good smack across the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ethan brought the D-Series arm to her as instructed back at the very beginning, after all that goddamn nonsense they've been relaying about over the phone. I'd say honestly it just boils down to her trusting him to keep the vials safe.

So uh. That seems to not have been the best idea in the end but hey she isn't on the raft to see it run agribbly.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 2, 2021