Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
If there's anywhere the Olympics should be it's Los Angeles and people here are either generally in favor of it or apathetic.

And not building anything means we get to sink a bunch of money that would otherwise have gone to stadium construction into things like accelerated public transit projects.

I don't buy the argument either that private companies building hotels would build affordable housing instead if it wasn't for the Olympics. How does that make any sense?

There's a good argument to be made for not hosting the Olympics but it doesn't really apply to LA in the same way it does to a city without our existing sports infrastructure.

Plus it's not like we could treat our homeless population any worse than we do now (monkey's paw curls).

Also traffic was surprisingly light during the '84 games because people were terrified it would be awful, just like when Carmeggedon happened a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

LA84 still funds a ton of youth sports programs across the county.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Ardennes posted:

I would say the only good thing to possibly come out of an LA olympics might be a couple more rail lines.

That's not exactly small potatoes.