Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the OP a dipshit?
Yes
No
View Results

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my favorite that happens in certain FPS games is where you have quick saved so many times in a certain section that you have cornered yourself into having like 10 hp and not enough ammo and a room full of hitscan bad guys and no other save files exist so you replay the same section 40+ times until you somehow get through it

i had a system shock 2 save file that glitched me into the wall when i had just gotten onto the second ship, welp never finished that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Aardvark! posted:

yup. i played it again a year or two ago, a decade+ after i took the time to learn the bike section, and i can still do it pretty much flawlessly. i couldn't possibly write down the order though

The snake level is a little iffy for me but I still remember it, and I think I still have the pipe level down, but things get hazy after the vertical climb that ends with the robot boss.

It's funny how that game managed to sear some Dark Souls-like muscle memory into me that persists over 25 years later

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
How do you screencap the whole of Poker Ladies without Save States?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Actually blue states are for cowards :mmmsmug:

Or the red states?

Well whichever are the bad ones.

What do you mean they're all terrible?! :wth:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I just go into the game code and re-write it so it tells me I win as soon as i start it.

What sort of newbs actually play a game to beat it. Lame.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Playing Metal Gear (MSX version) for the first time and I just got into the truck when Big Boss tells you to when apparently I shouldnt have and now I have a gently caress ton of backtracking to do. Sure do wish I had save states or rewind :v: but I need to sleep so I turned that poo poo off.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I'm playing Dying Light. It's a game that doesn't have save slots - it just saves your progress.

I wish it had a quicksave or save states option because it encourages you to take crazy risks.

It's an awesome game, play it. In fact, somebody took all the cutscenes and uploaded them to youtube and it's better than the vast majority of zombie films released in the last 20 years.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

rap music posted:

When I first got ff7 I didn’t have a memory card so I just left my PlayStation on for like a month

I've played through MGS1, 2, Dino Crisis and Silent Hill without saving because we didn't have a memory card at the time.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

save states are good for practicing arcade game boss fights and I guess entire stages if you suck real bad. then if you're lucky enough to still have an arcade with real games nearby you can go beat it on one credit like an absolute chad

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the civil war was fought over save states rights, and they lost op

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

the civil war was fought over save states rights, and they lost op
The save states rights justification for the civil war is just historical revisionism!

Just like save states themselves.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

some games are worth playing, some are worth experiencing. save states save you a ton of time when it's the latter

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

numberoneposter posted:

my favorite that happens in certain FPS games is where you have quick saved so many times in a certain section that you have cornered yourself into having like 10 hp and not enough ammo and a room full of hitscan bad guys and no other save files exist so you replay the same section 40+ times until you somehow get through it

i had a system shock 2 save file that glitched me into the wall when i had just gotten onto the second ship, welp never finished that game

the thing i liked about system shock 2 save files is they grew to be massive the further through the game you got, because they hadn't bothered optimising file size in thief presumably because it's a linear game and only needs to remember the state of the current level, whereas system shock 2 saves the state of the whole world. pretty sure i ran out of hard drive space back in the day because of it

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Meme Poker Party posted:

OP do you specifically mean emulator-based save states beyond a game's built in checkpoints/saves? Or any method of play other than Ironman?

gently caress Ironman. Especially when I get attached to my certain soldiers, squads, leaders, etc

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Losing your favorite make believe soldiers forever should teach you a valuable lesson about life and everything. Who said videogames were good for nothing?!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That was my favourite part about X Com because you do get attached and it does suck when an awesome character dies.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I never played Xcom, all I know about it is that you can miss shots when enemies are right up in your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Let he who never rolled a 1 on attack attempt and fail to throw the first stone