Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

First, I'm sorry this happened to Apollo, you and your family.

My gut says that he found a poisoned rodent in the garage sometime mid Sunday. Black widows are very, very shy and have to be actively harassed to be bit most of the time, which I do not put above a cat but I think the vets would have noticed a bite on a paw (most likely bite site if the cat was batting the spider). I am inclined to think that being stuck in the garage on Friday and not coming out as normal on Saturday (since your mom noted that she was playing with him and spending time with him for an hour) are completely unrelated, but I could be wrong and dehydration may have played a key in this. If he was poisoned at that point she would have noticed him reacting to it in some way (seizures, hyperventilating, some of the other symptoms you mentioned).

There's also a very slim chance that this was something genetic. From what I understand dogs, cats and many pet animals are only fully grown at 2 years, even though they are sexually mature much younger. Sometimes a genetic hiccup can be found during the maturing process (or later even) that would have been entirely unpredictable. If that issue led to some organ failure that would essentially poison his own body.

Hopefully someone more knowlegable than me can put input here, but I think you should check your garage if possible for any way a rodent can get in and die there. If they are poisoned they are going to have a little time to seek out shelter before perishing and in between boxes, in corners and such in a dark, quiet space sounds like a good place for most creatures to rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU