Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Hey, I just finished phase 1 of my golf cart project. So far It stops/goes and I can use it to tow my little landscape trailer, I spent way more than $0 however.

What does the water level in the batteries look like? Make sure you use distilled water if you need to add any, its cheap enough. Take apart all the battery connections, wire brush until shiny/clean, reassemble with electrical grease. Make sure the tires have good pressure and aim downhill. That's about all you can do for free if you already have the wire brush and the electrical grease. Bigger tires wont do anything if you already don't have much power, it will just suck more battery current trying to spin the motor against even greater resistance.

If you do a resistor across the field terminals on the motor you will need something pretty big, with my old resistor speed control and my clamp on meter in inrush mode I saw 220ish amps from the battery and 60ish amps continuous at full throttle/full speed on a flat gravel driveway. Without getting a calculator out I can tell you for sure that you will need more than a 1/4 watt resistor.

From cheapest to most expensive you next options are probably upgrade your cable size, change your controller, change all your batteries to 8V or find a place to stuff two more 6Vs, and if you still have money left over you can change the motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I had tubes of no-ox conductive grease within arms reach so I used that on all the cable connections after brushing them clean, so far things seem fine but I have only had the thing working for about two weeks.

Unless you're going to get new batteries I'm going to have to second the idea of the Corvair engine swap.