Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Narinth dal Krodven

AP: 5 | Conditions: None

"Not a suicide mission, no," Narinth concurs with Gwen. "But we traveled all this way only to settle where there's already sentients, random nanomachines, and at least one hive mind?" She shakes her head. "I don't buy it. Something smells." She raises an eyebrow. "Which makes me all the more curious about these moth-men now. Wonder if they're anywhere near."

---

Narinth walks up close to Winfred and makes a show of looking him up and down, assessing his strength, or maybe rather lack thereof. "You do look soft. But that's why we invented tools." She draws her dagger and holds it up, testing its razor edge with her thumb. "You'd be surprised what one can do armed with something sharp and survival instincts alone." She makes a sudden move, feigning an attack to startle him, then snickers as she slaps him a few times on the shoulder and sheathes the dagger. "Don't sweat it, Winnie. Just keep your head down if you don't have the guts to fight. I can manage babysitting one little egghead."

---

Narinth leans into the Bumper and sniffs loudly after Bella has worked her magic. It sure smelled mystical, at least. "Bella, how sure are you about your read on Memanham? Any chance the atmosphere conditions Gwen mentioned could've interfered with your skills?"

When it's time to set out, Narinth takes the front passenger seat and keeps her eyes peeled. She's ditched her bulky armor for combat fatigues with a winter woodland camouflage pattern, and a pair of warm boots. On her right hand she wears a dark blue leather glove, but Chadwick's bladed metal gauntlet remains on her left arm. She's also loaded up her backpack with survival gear, extra socks, and extra ammo.

Narinth makes a skilled attempt at Situational Awareness
Intent: Observation/Scouting
Roll: 🎲1d6 (3) = 3
Result: Success with a Cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Deputy Therapist Bella

HP: 10/10 | AP: 2

Bella sighs, still grumbling.
"Atmospherically, doubtful. The most likely situation is that the worm interfered. It did interfere, it was trying to promise that it could protect me from their threat, which is clearly nonsensical, and I do expect that the vision was manipulated to focus on their worst aspects. However, that's still different than a total confabulation. Most likely they're merely... aggressively selfish and likely to try to exploit us as much as possible while ultimately discarding us, but not literal cannibals. The best comparison might be dwarves, who at least typically are nearly impossible to befriend but once you do they're allies for life. This is sort of the inverse, easy to befriend but with a shallow and ultimately self-serving connection."

She prods the bumper some more, gesturing for some of the wooden effigies to float in and be examined in turn.
"It could outright be an entire fabrication by the worm, but that's... difficult to believe, it implies the worm to be overwhelmingly powerful in quite a few ways while also... choosing to toy with us? We would need to already be completely in its seat of power such that its presence would be completely surrounding us, and it would likely also need to have control over the atmospheric interference. More likely that it is able to fill in the holes made by the interference. Also, I suspect if the vision had been constructed whole cloth it would've had different, more violent qualities."

She stares at the little carved bit of wood for several seconds, growing more and more agitated in a sort of indescribable way, before a blast of psychic energy whips around the entire room, neatly packing all the ritual ephemera into a corner wastebasket.
"Curse it all, need to scrap the entire thing, and we don't have time anymore. Of course I had the genius idea of making this a fairly permanent working, because who doesn't want an invisible jeep? Idiot. Alright, going to need to get comfortable, and sorry in advance if I'm not very helpful in terms of keeping an eye out."

Spend an AP to try to recover the previous roll, get a 1. WTF is with these dice.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
SEBASTIAN: A hand cuts across the table and pats SEBASTIAN on the shoulder, giving him a reaffirming squeeze.

: "We're not here to conquer anyone. It'd be nice to have friends of Ariness, don't you think? We kind of lost them all.." Reyla trails off, sighing deeply.

: Winfred seems proper well approving of SEBASTIAN's words, perking up a bit. He even raises his head from his permanent hunch! "Yes, yes. Communication will be tricky. We can bring in the AI for rudimentary decoding and comparing concepts, but ideally we can establish a peaceful rapport and find a translator willing to work among their people.. a few mutual concepts explained can jump start the process, as it were." He balks a bit as SEBASTIAN continues. "Erm, some respond to intimidation with violence, you know.." He's back to the sulking slouch soon enough!

Drazyn: You make some stops before departure.

: You'd actually ended up sleeping by yourself, though that wasn't always unusual back in your old life. Appearances and comfort and all that. But now when you find Ravlina she shares a long hug with you, her eyes wide with anxious despair, fresh lines straining them.

: "We're going to be alright, aren't we Drazyn? Aren't we?" ... Usually this'd be your line! "I.. I need to stay in the camp, I need to ask around. Maybe, maybe they took on.. some of.. my house.. my fam.. some are with us? Stay safe." An extra firm squeeze, her head buried in your chest.

: Once that's taken care of you find the tribe of Kobolds that you invited to Ariness. They all seem a bit.. off, but they're widely known to be so. Kobolds are eccentric craftsmen and hunters and good at avoiding conflict. Despite popular slander and racist heckling they can be loyal to a fault. So it is that your little buddy chirps to the rest of his departing group to wait a second as he waddles over to you, carrying a massive bandolier of makeshift snares and snapping jaw traps. "Boss is Master now? Boss do good by us. I will get you something for later!" Every group is feeling the strain of the suddenness of their departure from the colony ship but you get the inkling that this is as good a fate as any for the lizardfolk. They certainly seem to be in good enough spirits for it.

Narinth: The table murmurs a bit at your no-bullshit analysis.

: "The Empire has tamed worse." Her gaze drifts over to Gwen and she shares a smile with the giant. "We may be the greatest power to find this rock yet."

: "You know how Tulen manages information. Maybe there's more to this rock than being the first habitable one they liked." Gwen smirks and gives Narinth a two finger wave, then the same to Circa, chuckling darkly.

: Winfred falls for your dagger scare hook line and sinker, throwing his hands up and backing away before recovering awkwardly once you pat his back. "Ahh.. y-yes, of course. Egghead, ah, that's me. I'll try not to slow you down, Mistress."

Bella: You worry that you're missing an opportunity to reconvene with your other illithid before your hastened off but feel a compulsion to work a beneficial psionic shielding to the Bumper, letting it slip your mind. Although you've got quite a few doubts plaguing you about the efficiency of it, all the theory is sound. You should be harder to detect to most things, at least simple predatory, primitive tech and even organics eyes. Right? Right!

Penelope: Once the two of you are outside of the line of sight of, well, at least all the other VIPs in the makeshift leading council, Circa grabs you by the lapels and slams your back to a wall, giving you a violent kissing. Then she pulls off and lets you go, dusting herself off.

: "You're forbidden to die, Penny. Got that? Good." She shares a self-satisfied smile with you before departing.

---

SEBASTIAN: (In the interest of game speed I rolled for you and got a 3) Success With Cost: It drains some of the armaments of the base to do so of course but you have a large pair of turrets affixed to the Bumper's roof. A simple automated lead-belching turret and a larger harpoon with plasteel chain rigging. A big gun and a big spike. Scary enough!

Drazyn: Success With Cost: You're able to coax Lulu into the Bumper's cargo again with some difficulty, it not being the most comfortable way for her to travel. She's a bit Agitated, granting you a temporary complication where she may lash out if her mood rises. You're also unable to glean as much info about the surroundings as you'd like as the Bumper travels. Sure, you can pick up on parallels between other common ecosystems and planet Tania's tundra, but it still largely remains a mystery. Common sense precautions apply: don't eat anything without testing, don't tempt wildlife with unprotected/sealed foodstuffs, and sterilize the water. At least the Bumper won't easily stumble across anything that is both territorial and big enough to threaten it!

Narinth and Penelope: (Contributing Penelope's skill set and expertise to improve Narinth's Scouting/Observation to a 4, given that Penelope is delayed IRL!) Success To your great fortune you find the weather clear and agreeable. The Squad joins your group and occasionally takes solo flights in shifts to put an eye on the sky. They call out that they can see the first of man-made structures that don't match slaver outposts and seem to have lights on, as well as signs of farming. There's nothing else unusual in the area, and you're clear of pursuers or danger.. and further on the horizon you can see the beginning of larger curved shapes rising a few stories into the sky. Seems it really is a city.

Music (Rimworld: These Lands)

Bella: Twist With Cost As the Bumper surges forward you've got the question to make of how to reveal your group, as first contact is likely upon you all. You've got to park, not cause property damage, decloak and-THUMP!!!-whump!-hhrrmmmmm...

Bumper impact, something falling, and the sound of the Bumper hovering on!

Everyone: You've hit something. Ah. Bella's camouflage theory was sound but the execution gravely flawed. You've created a mild cloaking field that should prevent the perceived energies of the Memanhamians from sensing or even perceiving you, at least at a distance. Instead an inversion yields an odd twist, combined with the limitations of your hi-tech scanners with the planetary field delay: you have difficulty perceiving Memanhamians!

: Looking back with physical eyes, the Squad calls out: "WE HIT A KID!" The three share a knowing look with Penelope, a shared understanding of bug-out protocol.

---

Once you're able to park and go... investigate... you see your first Memanhamian.

: About four feet tall, wearing wispy but voluminously wrapped sheets of silk that make up for their thinness in layers, looking like a stylistic combination of robes and vestigial wings coming from the upper back and shoulders. They're proportioned as though they should be smaller but are taller, lankier and themselves wispier than most humanoids. Soft features, delicate and feathery antennae in a large pair at the forehead followed by the rest of their "hair" being sweeping fields of smaller mass antennae, and their eyes are closed. Despite being head, presumably head on, they seem intact and not even bleeding, laying still on their back. A silvery reflection is fading, though in your ah, excitement that may be the setting sun playing a trick of the light on you. Or scales? Hmm. They also sport a pair of budding mandibles that shape and protrude a few centimeters from either side of the lips. Additional thin lines at major joints on the uncovered arms and along the face suggest possible chitinous development, like an insect.

: Yawning and waking from his nap in a passenger's seat, Winfred looks to the nearest few of you still in the Bumper itself. "Ahhhh.. whew. Have we arrived?"

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 30, 2023

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

AP: 5 | Conditions: None

Ready and alert, Narinth is quick to get out of the Bumper and investigate what got bumped into. "Huh. Seems like the moth-men were somewhere near after all," she comments as she finds the answer to what she'd wondered about before they had set out.

Small and delicate stuff was not her forte, but she goes ahead and checks the Memanhamian for wounds or signs of anything broken that required tending.

Narinth makes an unskilled attempt at First Aid
Intent: Tend to the Memanhamian
Roll: 🎲1d6 (3) = 3
Result: Twist

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 31, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(Posting later but from Discord Drazyn assists with a 4, barely raising this to a success after the evil dice bot demanded an AP sacrifice. Finally, a roll above a 3!)

Everyone: (Success)

Your group gets out of the Bumper and attempts to identify injuries to give first aid. Surely lifeforms across the infinite cosmos all have some basic organic physics, right? Stop bleeding, stitch wounds. There's still no sign of injury so you've little choice but to part the robes, revealing softer flesh where the chitinous plating steadily tapers off from the elbows on. There are larger formal joint coverings at the shoulders before their features become more humanoid onto the neck, collar and torso. A flat, featureless chest and stomach, absent even nipples and belly button... featureless in the anatomy sense. The feature of a massive pink-blue-violet hued shimmering bruise across the stomach up to their ribs stands out.

Thinking fast Narinth and Drazyn prepare a make-shift medical shunt, or any random hollow tube, likely from breaking a simple tool they've got on hand. Not too big, but sturdy enough to... *splorch!* Impale the chest lightly and drain the lungs. This triggers a sudden intake of breath from the xenos and they stir, though their eyes remain closed.

As you prepare to handle the next stages of trauma you can see the chitin scales shimmer and rapidly spread, swirling down the length of their arms and pockmarking along their torso towards the wound like an animated rash made of quicksilver! A cloud of sharper, more refined nanites blooms across the torso and with a loud electrical crack the xenos does something and starts to stir, eyes opening, the wide bruise on their torso draining steadily. Small visible spurts of blood are blown to the side and into the grass as the nanites spontaneously manufacture incredibly small, not-quite-microscopic primitive pumps.

: Sitting up the moth-person looks about in a bit of a daze, though seems markedly at ease. They blink several times, a pair of folds in the forehead a third of the size of the eyes opening to show off a second pair and both sets of black sclera and vividly glowing limbal rings stare at each member of the group. Then the xenos babbles excitedly, pointing and patting Narinth's forearm, wearing a mile-wide smile. Their voice sounds like a pleasant high-pitched mix of nonsense words, whistles for punctuation, and mixed very soft modem beeps, like a mechanical bubble-popping.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 1, 2023

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Drazyn Elph-Ariness

AP: 3 | Conditions: Agitated | Insight Tokens: 2 (Fingerworm Hivemind, Mothfolk Nano-Chitin Healing)

There's little Drazyn can do for Ravlina apart from patting her back and reassuring her that this was their best bet, that things are going well, that rebuilding efforts are well on their way. "Yes, good idea. See who you can find." He almost adds that he hopes he finds that they have all followed her, but he can't bring himself to say it. House Elphra is a small house, but is it so small that they'd all jump ship, literally, at the request of one of their members? He squeezes her hands and lets her go. He can't focus on that right now. There is much to do.

His next stop is much less melancholy. "Dotto! You're looking well!" The drow smiles, studying the collection of serrated blades and precisely calibrated springs on the bandolier's traps. "Very impressive set-up you've got here. I'm looking forward to hearing grand tales of your hunting trip! You're very welcome, by the by. I intend to keep doing right by people here."

As he waves him off, Drazyn reflects on how the first time the two of them met, he was this close to skewering the kobold's eye out with an office pen for daring to shock his beloved Lulu with a cattle prod. It just goes to show you that today's enemy can be tomorrow's ally, he thinks. Now, let's go get Lulu ready for the trip. Things finally seem to be looking up!

---

Things were not looking up. Seeing his chitinous angel click her mandibles nervously and skitter in place made Drazyn's heart tear in pain. He had refused to sit with the others, electing to spend the trip in the cargo of the bumper, soothing her with gentle whistles and taps on her carapace. "My poor baby!" He repeats, for the fifteen time, resting his cheek on her gigantic flank, giving her a full-body hug that also allows him to tap her on the back and the belly at the same time. "I have failed you! I, who am responsible for your well-being in this world so different from your own, have allowed you to become stressed and upset! Oh, my poor dear Lulu! You've been such a trooper through all of this, my darling, and still I must ask more of you if we are to ensure our own safety and well-being!" His eyes are wet with tears and he is just about to recite a touching cinquain by a particularly lugubrious drow poet about how we hurt the ones closest to us, when the bumper, perhaps mercifully, hits a child.

---

Drazyn jumps out of the cargo bay and beholds the results of misapplied camouflage technology. His former dramatics apparently immediately forgotten, he is by Narinth's side in an instant, taking in the being's anatomy and comparing it to those of similar species he has studied over time. "Alright, so, this looks to be of a similar build to the chrysalis tribe of the Itaraaji planet system, so odds are good that they have delicate lungs. Check if their breathing is okay, is it okay? Ah, gently caress. What can we use to puncture it...?"

An hefty but sharp screwdriver is quickly procured, heated up enough to at least sort of disinfect it, and used to puncture the bruise. You make do with what you have on hand, thinks the nobledrow to himself... before the shimmering begins. Then his eyes grow big as a tea saucers and all he can think of is the connection between the nanobots they encountered in the field and their possible xeno allies.

quote:

As Doomy said, I used two skills (Biology, which I just have, and Anatomy, which I have access to thanks to Polymath) to roll twice to help and got a 4, just enough to bump the roll to a 4. Success with a Cost! It cost me 1 AP.

I also claim 1 Insight token for what we just saw happen with this mothfolk.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

AP: 5 | Conditions: Nanite Infection

"Alright, alright, simmer the gently caress down before I choke you out," Narinth replies dryly to the overly animated Memanhamian, then looks over her shoulder and lets out a sharp whistle. "Winnie! Need some translation over here."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

AP 4 | No Conditions

"If it's your wish, Milady." He answers back to Reyla with a nod. One might consider that Naïve thinking, but... That is the prerogative of his Mistress, and if she desires to establish friendship with the native wildlife, then he'll comply with her wish. As for Winfred's measly sniveling, just a threatening 'glare' from his face-less head would serve as a response. SEBASTIAN will brook no cowardice within Ariness.

The Bumper was... Acceptable, to say the least. He weaponized it and Drazyn brought his pet with him, fine enough, this means they wouldn't see much trouble on their way to whatever passed for civilization on this planet but also could take on anything that would attack them with extreme prejudice. Unfortunately, what turned out that would happen is that they ended up running over one of the local children, a downside of running a massive fast-running invisible vehicle, it seems! As they rush to check on the squirt's wellbeing. Ah, the poor thing does seem to be nice and fine, and one could even believe it to be 'adorable' in a way, but SEBASTIAN was more worried about whether he would squeal to the others about the accident. So at least he should try to see something that could go over Winfred's head once he translates it, which is any sort of negative intention or hidden malice towards them.

quote:

Rolled a 5 on an Etiquette Roll when trying to Discern Intent on the Xenos' gibberish!

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Deputy Therapist Bella

Bella trails out of the vehicle, nearly stumbling over some rock, staring at the moth-child in numb horror. Those closest get a whiff of recrimination, a self-loathing that oddly enough is normally completely absent from Bella's 'vibe,' before she locks it down into silence, watching the resuscitation and otherwise acting the bystander.
When it's clear the child is at least... mostly apparently fine, Bella retreats, a psychic spike getting jammed semi-metaphorically into the remnants of the camouflage.
"Apologies, I'm going to try to shred this first. Might lead to hallucinations, but at least nothing consistent and disastrous as... that."

She works silently for a little while, then eventually.
<Narinth, apologies for the intrusion. I know in relationships like this it's best not to keep count of favors, but I owe you, deeply. Anytime, anything.>

Sick of rolling 1s. Can we go with a 'routine action' of taking down previous work, with a possible cost shift of weird visual glitches or something lower risk.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

AP: 5 | Conditions: Nanite Infection

<That's really not needed, Belle.> Stone faced with a hint of sympathy, Narinth turns around to look at Bella. <It's not like you intended for this. Accidents happen, there's just no getting around it in this line of work. Been in your shoes before, you know, only in circumstances far more hosed up...> She pauses to stare off in the distance, anger on her face, then shakes it off and returns her gaze to Bella and nods at her. <But if it'll help, I'll hold you to that.>

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Drazyn, Narinth: Your Cost is first stage nanite infection. As before, you can choose to make one Skill Roll and transform it into an Ascended Roll. Even on a result of 1-3, nothing bad can happen. Your senses and focus sharpen naturally as the nanites arbitrarily improve your bodies on a very small scale. Medical compared it to using combat uppers.

Everyone: Seems your new friend is absurdly delighted to be awake, or to see you, or to be alive. They don't respond to Narinth's command and reach up with both hands, extending their fingers and tracing and framing the shape of Narinth's eyes, which are twice as big as their own. They bring the fingers back to their own face and compare to both pairs they have, laughing in machine boops at the difference.

SEBASTIAN: Success! You and the maid network survey the surroundings and the precocious brat. They seem to be utterly friendly, a commoner wowed by the presence of the elite. This looks like a humble weed farm, and given that nobody else has arrived or reacted to your large vehicle becoming visible or it hitting one of them then they must be alone for now. Perhaps Ma and Pa Moth have gone to town? All the same... the Memanhamian or "Meman" seems as easily led as a puppy. If only you could give orders!

Bella: (Sure, you don't need to roll a check to do a mundane task!) After it backfires you decide to cleanse the Bumper of the camo, or whatever refraction of light and psychic energy was making it camo things to those inside it! All seems well, the initial terror of immediate diplomatic snafu passing. Maybe it'd be hard to explain the blood, scar or the little "nap" the Meman took, but... Ah! You can hear it! You can hear the sensation of many bells ringing in harmony and unison!

: The Meman gibbers and beeps at all of you nonsensically. You can't discern proper words yet but the overwhelming concepts of excitement, new friends, wonderful visitors, tell the others, big party bubbles about. The Meman's seem.. eager to meet others? Or is this the wonder of a child?

: "Mmm.. ah, of course! A telepath is a perfect first link in communication!" Winfred has woken up and gotten out of the Bumper, likely in fear of Narinth's boot finding his backside(and head.) He's got a copy of the communal Ariness AI avatar projecting a holo from his wrist-band and is feverishly writing in a notebook in both hands, looking back and forth between Bella and the Meman. "Mistress Bella, we need to establish, uhm, some common ground.. the basis of communication.. just, anything, really, so we can relate to one another by example or pantomime!"

---

Everyone: Whenever you're ready you can head to the Meman City. Your friend seems eager to come along, repeatedly pointing out the Bumper and hopping up and down at the side of anyone they can.

Bella: Wonderful machine, amazing craftsmanship, big robot, big friend, desire to ride...

You suddenly hear a yowl and the Meman hides behind SEBASTIAN, pointing and gibbering at Lulu. Scary! A small dial-up modem noise screeches alongside a high pitched yell. Nanite screaming?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

AP 4 | No Conditions

Oh, the little guy is hiding behind him. Well, that's... Precious, if SEBASTIAN at least could appreciate something like that. Still, it was on the mission's best interest to not startle the locals for no reason, and from what he could see, the child was friendly, in fact to a fault, but he wondered if actually kidnapping him was in fact a good idea... Still... He gave the small thing a pat in the head, at least to reassure him.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

Bella crouches, regarding the darling Meman silently, then raises a hand, motioning to herself, then raising each finger in time with three rings of a clear and pleasant glass bell. There are echoes of a gently flowing fountain, paper rustling, fresh tea, staring calmly at a lake, lying on the grass in the shade, a clean blade severing the spine in a single, painless motion, and more than anything else the overwhelming desire to calmly and thoughtfully come to a harmonious, agreeable conclusion. It's a very pleasant 'name,' and the sort of thing that's difficult to falsify, though of course each psychic will emphasize or embellish according to their personal image. Certainly, Bella truly does think these things about herself.

After letting the introduction settle, she gestures to the rest of the group, and conveys an abridged idea of what they're here to do. This is sanitized and condensed for a child: they are travelers and settlers, new arrivals, somewhat precarious but not in dire straights, desiring aid and willing to give back in turn where they are able. A bird in the sky, struck, wing broken, eyes clear. It builds a nest. Caution is always reasonable in a meeting between new groups, and they wish to meet with the leaders of Memanham to begin to speak with them. Traders, men with carts, upright, upfront, arriving at the gates, which open, and the Meman communicate. Who should we approach, and how? This can't be the first time foreign people have come. Perhaps the child's family would know best?

Using some of that Reliable Telepath from the kit.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Drazyn Elph-Ariness

AP: 3 | Conditions: Agitated, First Stage Nanite Infection | Insight Tokens: 2 (Fingerworm Hivemind, Mothfolk Nano-Chitin Healing)

Ah, yes. How easy it is to forget that not everyone is as used to being in the company of a giant murderous beast as he, and his closest companions, are. Drazyn begins tapping Lulu's carapace rhythmically, in an attempt to calm her and keep her steady.

"Could someone please calm the child down? Lulu is still quite moody from the trip, and I don't think this is going to improve her mood."

quote:

Drazyn makes a skilled attempt at Monster Friend
Intent:
Keep Lulu calm and behaving herself
Roll:
1d6 (2) = 2
Result:
Twist

Well then.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

HP: 10/10 | AP: 1

Bella steps between the three, looking briefly to Drazyn for permission before bringing him, the child and Lulu all together in a sort of mental link.
A strange egg, brimming with promise. Family. A blue doggo, leaping onto a younger Drazyn. Joy. A circle of elders, sour and judging, Drazyn standing before them, passionately arguing his case. Dedication. A grown up Lulu, stalwart against enemies, an unbreakable bond, complete trust and safety.

She crouches in front of the child, gesturing to the two. These are laughing shadow bramble and coiling hiss. Friends.

Spending 1 AP to activate Unrelenting Calm. ISTG can't handle another 1.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

AP: 5 | Conditions: Nanite Infection I

Narinth stares back stoically at the bubbly laughing Meman as they compare the size of their eyes. "You're one cute little naïve, easily conquerable kiddo, aren't you." She smirks and lightly taps the side of their chin with her fist, then rises to her feet and takes a step back to let the others work on establishing communications.

"Looks like we found the source of those nanites we ran into earlier." She looks down at her arm as she flexes it and makes a fist with her hand. "I'm definitely feeling it again."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

SEBASTIAN: You feel a positive charge along your hardware and the faint tickling of the nanites brimming at your exterior shell. You detect the faint transmission of intent and seeking permission, though they don't pass over to you automatically. Seems machines respect the consent of machines. And that you could intentionally infect at will.

Bella: You pass thoughts back and forth between the child, who nods in understanding at your intents.

: They gesture and babble excitedly from their perch behind SEBASTIAN's waist, more high-pitched chatting and the occasional beeping. Oldest are leaders, biggest, most complex machines. Visitors visit, I use the front gate. By their gesturing to indicate themselves and your continued communication it becomes easier to form more nuanced understanding.

Drazyn: Twist! With an agitated roar Lulu plows her head into your chest with force to knock you off your feet before retreating, instinctively seeking the cozy, one-way entrance interior of the Bumper cargo bay to coil into, She forms a great pile and keeps her head in the center, peeking over the top of herself and chittering, snapping. Lulu is getting angrier and likely to become provoked outside of a comforting zone...

At least you're on your way to a diplomatic meet. In a crowded city, but surely you won't need to fight?

Bella, Drazyn: Success! With Bella intervening to help, Lulu's mood improves and she calms, establishing a mental compulsion of the Meman surroundings with good mood, soothing and clearing her mood troubles. It's not impossible she could be agitated again but Lulu's mood is set to normal.

---

Everyone: Even if you wait a bit it seems the child's family isn't around and at their insistence and psionic translation they ask you to take them to the city. Perhaps stranger danger isn't a thing in this culture. There's little more to do than get into the Bumper and head for the city, the odd spires and metal structures that blend in with the coastal sands and the neighboring snow fields starting to become a bit more angular and detailed as you get closer. A single greatest structure towers over its similar fellows, with multiple entrances and steady streams of foot traffic from all of them. Any structure tall enough displays prominent solar paneling modeled after Meman translucent wings and large, industrially sized kites that hang in the sky, trailing long vertical nets with short reach from kite to tower. Or at least they look like nets.

Music (Cowboy Bebop - Cats On Mars)

Memanham isn't technologically advanced in a way you'd expect, like blocks of tall buildings surrounded by roads and anchored by public infrastructure. It seems more like an old-tech turn of the century society where the ideas of roads are vaguely understood but only beasts of burden pull wagons for now. There's several various types of moth-folk visible at a distance before you enter the city, their wagons drawn by the stoic, hulking blue silhouettes of the muffalo.

There seems to be quite a diversity in the Memans. You can't tell a gender apart, though they bounce back and forth between slender and bulky forms. The gaining of bulk seems to be associated with greater height, thicker and less transparent wings and significantly greater presence of nanite and even machine-looking limbs and attachments, natural arms replaced by practical devices fused in white-chitin/silver-nanite seams, their movements and gesturing with these limbs as natural as if they were born with them. Nobody seems to carry any weaponry outside of practical tools associated with craft.

Everyone: You will be entering the city, though you can choose how. You did outfit the Bumper to be a bit more intimidating and you've got the look of clear tech advantage. One Skill Roll per PC, your choice of what the skill is. Examples would be scouting the city, serving as a diplomatic lead, stealthing in, being an intimidating rear end, trying to impress and drum up a sensational storm, etc. Anything you'd like to do to try to better your odds, introduce yourselves, or get a practical edge! (And a reminder to declare AP use before rolling!)

You've got to meet the "Meman Elders", or at least whoever is in charge! And... well. Positive relations, subjugation, annihilation, colonization, uplifting(or lifting a lower tech society to a higher standard)... you've been trusted to decide the fate and relationship of your neighbors with Ariness.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Drazyn Elph-Ariness

AP: 3 | Conditions: First Stage Nanite Infection | Insight Tokens: 2 (Fingerworm Hivemind, Mothfolk Nano-Chitin Healing)

Before they enter the city, Drazyn takes a moment to address Bella.

"I appreciate you doing that for Lulu. It wasn't just efficacious, I also felt pleasantly nostalgic going through those old memories, even in simplified form fit for a child's understanding. Thank you." He smiles, then adjusts a nonexistant crease in his outfit. "Well! And with that, we're off to impress some locals." He has already set up Lulu with her personal saddle, and now he climbs onto it.

---

Drazyn is going for the direct approach. He enters the city from the front gate, riding elegantly atop Lulu and waving gently to passerbys. His plan is to put people at ease, showing that while these foreigners may be strange, and even scary, the citizenship is in no danger from them; look, even the one riding a giant monster appears friendly! Occasionally he has Lulu tip her head to passerbys as if nodding in greeting at them, and if a particularly curious or fascinated mothman approaches, Drazyn stops his glorious steed and lets them pet her. Lulu isn't much for others' company normally, so Drazyn is vigilant to ensure her mood does not sour from this interaction; not just to ensure that no harm befalls their hosts, but also for his beloved pet's sake, of course. She seems in much higher spirits after Bella's little talk, which naturally delights him.

quote:

Time to show off how cool and nonthreatening my pet monster is! The saddle gives me +1 to the roll but as it turns out I don't need it.
Drazyn makes a skilled attempt at Monster Friend
Intent:
Show off how cool and not dangerous my giant pet monster is
Roll:
1d6 (6) = 6
Result:
Success with a Bonus

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 20, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

AP 4 | No Conditions

Hmph, as it is to be expected, this place is inhabited by bumpkins only it seems. Nevertheless, it does seem to be a good place for machinery to thrive, even though he expected them to show more... Artistry when it came to their architecture and city planning. That and the fact that the little... kid? Thing did in fact made an impression on him enough to make the normally cranky Android regard them with more... sympathy.

Of course, that means that House Ariness must take them under their protection, whether they like it or not, and that they must of course give something in return. That is why he brought that display of power that was the Bumper, but perhaps something more should be brought to the table in order to bring the new situation to them. Standing atop the Bumper as it reached the most densely populated central part of the city where the Elders and Leaders were in, and expecting the others to help with translation, SEBASTIAN put a hand on his chest and began to... Talk...

"Greetings, Natives of Memanham. I come on the behalf of the House of Ariness, the greatest and most reputable of all Noble Houses on the Ancient Vular Empire. A house whose great deeds started with their founder whom my antecessor served at his side...

And talk...

"...Her daughter then would continue the great campaign on the Fifth Vular Civil War on the side of the Empress, to be well rewarded for her services..."

And talk...

"...Whose daughter, the twentieth Head of the House would then on bring great acheivements such as..."

And talk...

quote:

SEBASTIAN makes a skilled attempt at House History
Intent:
Impress the Meman bumpkins with the long and studied history of House Ariness
Roll:
🎲1d6 (3) = 3
Result:
Success with a Cost

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"People of Memanham, step right up and be amazed. The Ariness wandering circus is coming to town," Narinth snarks from behind the wheel of the Bumper as she slowly drives into town, following behind Drazyn and Lulu down the main street. "Maybe I should wear a frilly ballerina dress and put on a strongman show in the center square?" She muses sarcastically as she keeps a watchful eye on things, while keeping Sebastian's endless droning tuned out.

After finding somewhere central to park she takes stock of the situation. If this diplomatic effort went tits up they'd be in deep poo poo with no support to rely on. It was all well and good to put the Memans at ease and dazzle them with stories, but someone had better make sure that they also knew they were not to be hosed with.

With a grim face and a big iron on her hip, Narinth steps out of the vehicle and adjusts her beret. Exuding a threatening aura, she glares daggers at any Meman straying too close.

Narinth makes a skilled attempt at Intimidation
Intent: Impress on the Memans that it would be unwise to cross us.
Roll: 🎲1d6 (1) = 1
Result: Twist with a Cost

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 19, 2023

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Drazyn Elph-Ariness

AP: 3 | Conditions: First Stage Nanite Infection | Insight Tokens: 2 (Fingerworm Hivemind, Mothfolk Nano-Chitin Healing)

"Don't be ridiculous, Narinth. We both know you couldn't pull off a ballerina dress."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"Oh, is that a challenge, loverboy? Seems a bit unfair though. When it comes to wearing pretty dresses, you've no doubt gotten more practice than me." Narinth snickers.

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 20, 2023

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

"Indeed, Narinth would look amazing in a ballerina dress. Gorgeous legs. Classical drow ballet leans rather strongly on the matriarchy, too, the question's rather more if Drazyn could pull off a deferential Gwylyss for a whole night. Anyway, enjoy making a spectacle out of yourselves."

Bella drops down, turning to raise her arms to the child. Piggyback ride. Search for family, a reunion. Greetings, visitation, see the sights.
Assuming the child is comfortable, she then serves as a loyal steed for a brief walk around the city, greeting passers-by and gradually honing in on locating the child's family, while at the same time remaining clearly inoffensive and safe.

Attempt at Persistence to just sort of hang out and gradually find the family, got a 6 woop woop.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Optional Music (Aladdin - Prince Ali)

Drazyn: Success with Bonus! The Mehman's make way and get close to say, boops and beeps with happy cheeps, they're here to greet. They clear the way as your group moves for the bazaar, crowds let you through eager to see a bright new star. They clamor to be first to meet Lulu's eye, cheers rise and chimes bell, moths wave and wish you well, it seems everybody loves this guy.

Drazyn, he, leads the par-tee, into the ci-tee. All gather round, show awe and pet, your display earns great respect! They've come to meet, bow at her feet, Bella can feel the waves. Sensations of wonder supplanting fear! Worms often cause bad atmosphere! But here we seeeeeee, Drazyn and the par-teeeeee. Their fears have been soothed and calmed, their expressions are greatly warmed, for the procession of Prince Drazyn!!!

Bonus: Any possible association the Mehmans have with the Worm That Walks and Lulu/your group is suppressed for this entire arc, as well as enhancing the reception!

SEBASTIAN: (Bumped to 4 via prior preparation in enhancing the Bumper.) Success! Honestly, your exact words are difficult to deliver even with Bella's help. However, you are an impressive looking robot riding atop impressive looking, formidably streamlined looking technology, especially by comparison to the rough and tumble "organic" approach the nanite-bonded Mehmans seem to live by. They revere you as another deific figure in their midst and seem to be picking up on some gist of things. Bella could tell the group that there is reverence for House Ariness, particularly as so many of these great figures are part of it!

Bella: Success with Bonus! The Mehmans admire all the group but find Bella to be fascinating, regarding her as another good omen in these strange visitors. That she arrives and directs a lost child to their family at the bazaar is seen as prophetic, amazement at a celestial being's divine wisdom! A few random Mehmans from the crowds gathering offer Bella smoothed stone and gem jewelry, necklaces, bracelets and very small and fine decorative bands that'd go around feelers... or tentacles.

Bonus: It seems you've overcome any possible social awkwardness associated with running over and mortally wounding the Mehman child. Water under the bridge. Or perhaps "neurons past the antennae" around here. You also receive some gifts!

Loot posted:

Mehman Jewelry x2 - Grants +1 to Social Checks with Mehmans when worn. Can be sold for an item within the Wealth 1 range. May have other residual properties if studied.

Narinth/Everyone: Twist with a Cost! Then things come to a halt. The crowd has gathered, the Bumper and Lulu are the centerpieces of this grand introduction, the entire city seems to have been wowed by these strangers. But at the sight of a dour, militaristic, visibly armed woman... the sound of loud, deliberate pistons like a great walker approach, a shadow the size of the Bumper cast over Narinth first before looming over the rest of the party.

: "What new army enters the city? Do Vular tread so fearfully they need send two armed envoys? Harumph." A great synth-cord mustache rumbles! Speaking in crude yet clear enough Vular Common with an old wheeze, a massive block of a Mehman stands within a few feet of Narinth! Seven feet wide, ten feet tall, the original gaunt frame of the moth-folk replaced by almost full body nanite-reconstruction and a few out of place garishly colored(though faded) vehicle plates.. his lower body looks like it's made of an old construction walker meshed with natural chitin plating, bio-organic "wires" connecting everything like tendons between the joints. His right arm is similar, his left a large heavily chitinous and more natural looking "muscle".

: Twist: Pale as a sheet, Winfred half whispers and half blurts out over shared comms: "The Empire is here?!"

: Cost: Distrust of an Elder! "I am Mamomohodo, the Fifth." Whenever Mamomo stutters or butchers a word a bit of machine static and the corrected grammar is recited in monotone by a pleasant male voice, originating from the same direction as his mouth. "Explain yourselves, Mammalkind."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Cpt. Penelope

She's been silent for some time now, mostly thinking about the 'don't die' thing Circa told her. Usually people with authority over here were vaugely hoping she would in a way that wouldn't cause too much paperwork. The thump-thump as they nearly smear a local all over the planetscape jolts her for a moment. Making a kid feel less awful is probably the field she's least qualified in, so to avoid passing on familiar trauma to a new generation, Penelope does not interact with them.

Later on when they're at the town, Penelope looks the baron equivalent up and down. At least this was familiar, "leadership roles are given to the largest". In vular society that usually meant hair, hats, and heels, but this dude went horizontally as well as vertical. She checks her own hat and makes sure the brim is pointing upwards to establish eye contact. When addressing someone far taller than you, a peak cap could make you look like an angry ranting mushroom, and appearances were important right now.

There's a moment's hesitation so she shoots her wad first. "Greetings, I'm Captain Penelope, Consort of House Ariness." She takes in the rest of her team's expression in as she continues talking. One part of her was disgusted by basically doing what her mom did (although in Penny's defense she had accidentally stumbled into it while attempting some entirely ethical platonic robbery) and the other fell prey to the traditional vular urge to go ['i'm loving your boss, therefore, when you think about it, i'm your boss too!'] "We've decided to move in, far enough away to avoid bothering you but close enough we need to talk. We're a sister colony of the empire, we've lost contact with them, and are representing ourselves." That was all true, technically. "We wish to begin our relationship with your settlement on the best possible terms."

----
back, let's gooo. I can roll Chutzpah
Here's the new boss, came with the old boss
Roll:
🎲1d6 (2) = 2 (+1=3?)
Or maybe not, unless the jewely ups that to a 3
success with twist?

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 30, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

AP 4 | No Conditions

This... Is definitely a setback, for them to make contact with the Empire before them, this changes things completely! Or... No, this must be impossible. Perhaps... Could have been previous explorers and scouts from before them? Or perhaps exiles? Nevertheless, SEBASTIAN realizes he must change his plans immediately. Unlike Penelope's more... direct approach, however, SEBASTIAN would make a concerted effort towards mollifying the Elder's position, using whatever protocols of local customs he can while attempting to help her... Well, at least the best he could try.

quote:

SEBASTIAN makes a skilled attempt at Etiquette
Intent:
Memm Customs to help Penelope.
Roll:
🎲1d6 (1) = 1+1= 2
Result:
Twist

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"They beat us here?" Narinth bares her teeth and lets out a low growl. "Thought they'd be more hesitant to make contact since they considered the place off-limits..." Her expression 'softens' to her usual resting bitch face as she looks up at the hulking Meman that's towering over her. "You can relax, Five. I'm here to keep the peace, not pick a fight. Name's Narinth." She takes a step forward and has to arch her neck back even further to maintain eye contact. "But tell you what, if you're keen on reducing the number of armed visitors in your city, why don't you tell us a bit about the other Vular. Namely their number and whereabouts. Maybe we can persuade them to leave."

Narinth makes an unskilled attempt at Ascended Roll: Repartee
Intent: Make nice
Roll: 🎲1d6 (1) = 1
Result: Twist with a Cost Ascended roll

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(Adding in base art for reference and enjoying.)

Penelope: Success with Twist!: You size yourself up and present a dignified front! Something in your words catches in the enormous craw of the lumbering elder...

: "Cheeehhh!!" A pfft if you've ever heard one, delivered with snapping mustache and mandibles! The static really sells it! "I will introduce you to your dear sister colony, their representative lingers like the odor of dro-" Base Art

: "Of Drow, as the Vular species is kzzt known." A Mehman about 2/3 as tall and 1/5 as wide as Mamomo rests a trio of slightly askew fuzzy feeler fingers on their shoulder, standing at their side to look over the party. "Forgive my brrt friend, you've arrived before the second mid-day meal and some burn more mrrhhnn fuel than others." This one looks more moth than machine, though a thick wrapping of translucent wings like a cloak obscures a great deal of a clearly more rigid body. Base Art

SEBASTIAN: (Assist Another Fails)

: Mamodo's massive hand ratchets up along its frame and descends smoothly, a massive palm blocking SEBASTIAN's approach entirely. The two too-tall Mehmans don't even look upon him. "Bahhh! This is suspicious, to say nothing of the presence of.. these invaders! Two of them!"

: A walking mechanical pod a bit smaller than the other two joins the looming council, entirely robotic, the front half of it caved in to show a larger, waifish Mehman reclining in it. The presence of the silver sheen of nanites along every limb makes them look like they are reclining under heavy quilt of wings and robotics, practically the heart of the pod. "Then it falls upon you to convince us of your intentions." This one's voice is perfectly smooth and delivered, though the tone is entirely text-to-speech. "I am Elder Mahaanaa-Anna.." Anna. Base Art

: "Elder Mihirininnin." Mihi. "Our council numbrs zottt five, but we've been entertaining your..." Narinth: (Crisis averted!) "... betters." His eyes glow as though backlit by LEDs, eyes curling upwards at one end and downwards at the other. A critical look?

: "This one must be made of the same stuff as her <pack animal>." Mamomo shares a more traditional leer at Narinth's not too subtle wordplay.

: Running up to the three cybernetic giants, the little Mehman you ran over and saved from yourselves offers a flower to Anna's pod, which accepts and lays it inside itself by the leg of its rider. Bella can feel the passion of her plea that newcomers are wonderful, helped me, friendly worm, not red!

A curious sensation ripples over the crowd as the three Elders take in the sentiment of the child. Their antennae flicker and static buzzes, and every matching appendage in the Mehman crowd twitches in response. It's as though in the sudden flip of a switch that everybody around you changes their awe to cautious optimism, watching you warily, hopefully.

: Mumbling to the rest of the group, Winfred wipes sweat from his brow with one hand and rapidly taps along a holographic keyboard for his wrist-mounted AI. "If they've sent a regiment I think we're in grave danger, I think.. ah! Oh no!" His face turns further ashen grey as he blanches, instinctively taking a half step behind Narinth.

---

Music: Conspiracy (Jojo S3 Stardust Crusaders)

: Base Art

: "Miricetti Tul-Faertala!" A petite woman, thin as a rail other than the overly thick Vular black-silver lab/travel coat she's wearing. Made just a bit taller by stiletto heels, the practical kind the noble are fond of for Vular chic but battlefield survival. Winfred draws up a quick dossier, at least a public one. "Research and Development, House Tulen itself! Gods Beyond, she's more inf.." Winfred sweats a bit as his eyes dart over the Mehman crowd. "..Invested in studying th-the robotics than any of us.." Sure enough, she seems to be bleeding over with a bit of excess energy about the eyes, with a visible silvery nanite sheen.

: Base Art

: ".. Ah, a bodyguard, all I can make out, erm, Mistress Krodven, is that he's got the same military marks as you do!" Armored entirely, save for the Vular marks of service on the broad shoulder. The open carry of the heavy duty "Bunker Buster's Little Sister" quadra pump action on his hip makes his duty clear.

---

Everyone: You can use any number of rolls(1 per person) passively for info, preparation or the like, but are limited to two to continue the diplomacy: 1 for the Elders, and 1 for the approaching Vular representatives, if you even choose to stay and meet with them. They've not seen your group and the Bumper doesn't stand out compared to the Elders... yet. They're coming this way!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 5, 2023

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

AP: 4 | Conditions: Nanite Infection I
HP: 10/10 | Miss Tokens: 0 | Powers: Trick Arrow, Wind Up Strike, Split Their Arrow

Narinth stifles the urge to return fire at the Meman council after their little barbs. Instead she just crosses her arms and cocks her head as she regards them with a deadpan eye roll. Better to leave this to those more diplomatically inclined before she inadvertently caused an incident, she thought to herself.

---

"That so?" Narinth replies to Winfred and immediately reaches down to release the safety on her modified Vular Enforcer. She looks past the Memans and fixes her eyes on her colleague in the killing business. The helmet was concealing his face, but considering the marks and the hefty piece he was packing, it didn't seem all that impossible to narrow down who he might be.

Spending an action point to use a related skill for advantage
Narinth makes a skilled attempt at Military Contacts & Situational Awareness with Advantage
Intent: Get info on the bodyguard
Roll: 🎲2d6kh1 (3, 3) = 3
Result: Success with a Cost

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

Bella watches the approaching Vular with stink lines hovering over her head.
"How incredibly unfortunate. We cannot afford a confrontation right now, we're going to need to leave."
She glances back at the vehicle, then the group.
"Well, you will. I believe I've adjusted well enough to the local spacetime to manage a psychic recall, I have a strong enough connection to lock onto Reyla, given some time to focus, but I couldn't manage a passenger. I believe it would be best if Drazyn left for certain, there's a sort of provocation from a drow noble that would make negotiations difficult, and of the rest of us non-entities I believe I would be the best at negotiation. I can attempt to smooth this over and cover your retreat so that they do not track down our position, but remaining as a counterbalance should hopefully maintain the Meman neutrality, at the least. I do have the advantage of... being able to... hm. Hmmmm."

She trails off, then slowly faces the elders.
"I'm realizing I should have checked something. One moment."

<Most Honored Elders of Memanham, I am Three Glass Bells, Clear Tone Verve, ranging deputy of the Illithid Remnant Conclave. I would be honored to explain fully the series of events that led to the separation of our group from the Vular, with as much nuance as I am able to impart given my limited insight into drowish politic. You may not be familiar with the current position of Illithids, but we are currently working to repair our historical transgressions and spread a new standard of mental and emotional wellbeing amongst all peoples, not just the drow, and as a representative I would be both delighted and legitimately empowered to open a new relationship on behalf of the Remnant. One moment.>

She unseats her helmet, slowly removing it, tentacles waving gently in good cheer.
<Please do not be alarmed, I am aware that many... cultures have... longstanding... mytholo... gical...>
She trails off, stilling, then adjusts her posture.
<It seems you do. Unfortunate. I cannot beg forgiveness for the actions of my ancestors. They are entirely unforgivable. I can only ask for the opportunity to prove the goodwill of my people as the new Remnant, along with the right intentions of this our larger group, the full story of our disunion with the Vular. Could I please have that opportunity, as a guest? I understand if not, but if so we would ask for safe passage out of your lands.>

Attempt at Compassion to present a good story got a natural 1 heck yeahhhhhhhhhhh
Using Unrelenting Calm (1/session) for a success with a cost?

zachol fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 22, 2023

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Drazyn Elph-Ariness

"Reasoned debate and discussion doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere." Drazyn considered. "Perhaps it's time for a more emotive approach."

"Gods be good!" He exclaimed. "The Empire!" He stepped towards the closest elder, Mihi, with an expression of genuine worry, even going as far as to push SEBASTIAN out of the way. "No, SEBASTIAN! I'm sorry but I must warn them!" (SEBASTIAN had not attempted to stop him). He placed an hand on each of Mihi's shoulder and gazed deep into their eyes.

"I must beg you, my kindly host!s Do not fall for the Vular Empire's tricks! I am forced to admit that I, and my brave companions here, are runaways! Yes, indeed, dashing rebels and refugees who escaped the butchery and barbarism of the Empire, and took with us as many volunteers as we could, fine folks who would have been disappeared into the night by our loathsome former masters! The things they have done, oh, there would not be enough time in the day to tell...! They came here on a mission of colonization and slavery, and you cannot, you CANNOT allow their words to take root into your heart and their ships onto your planet! We couldn't tolerate their behaviour any further, and we cannot allow them to attempt something unwholesome with you! I beg you, allow us to stand by your side as their approach, so that we might keep their wickedness at bay...!"

The rank hypocrisy of him, who had been one of those "colonizers and slavers" less than a week ago, was enough to make even him gag. But, needs must.

quote:

Drazyn makes a skilled attempt at Fast Talk
Intent:
get the mothfolk to untrust the Vular Empire
Roll:
1d6 (1) = 1
Result:
Twist with a Cost

BY THE POWER OF MY FALLBACK AND DRAZYN'S INTRINSIC LIKEABILITY, I TURN THEE INTO A SUCCESS WITH A COST!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

AP 4 | No Conditions

Terrible, just terrible! It seems that attempts to court the barbarians ended up in failure anyway due to the presence of the Empire... W-wait, the Empire arrived there first? This makes things different. SEBASTIAN prepares himself for immediate eradication of the Tulen interloper and her bodyguard, his arm changing into his 'cleaning' cannon... Only to be interrupted by Drazyn brusquely shoving the Android into falling on his knees, making him HEAVILY consider shooting the Elph-Ariness in the back only for his internal programming regarding the obliteration of House Members, even if from a distant branch family, remind him not to.

"..." It seems that him and Lady Bella will deal with the theatrics. As for himself? Perhaps it is better to find out whether there are any other surprises alongside the Imperial members. Fortunately the butler had access to certain backdoors still inside Sominaia, which would be of use as several bands of infrared, electromagnetism and others were scanned, not just by his sensors but also by any satellite or the like flying atop that part of the atmosphere as well...

quote:

SEBASTIAN makes a skilled attempt at detection
Intent:
Is there anyone or anything hidden among the Vular delegation?
Roll:
🎲1d6 (2) = 2
Result:
Twist Fallback: Always Online 24/7 used. Success.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

She sees the nerd burble and freeze, typical male response when put in a new situation they can't immediately bullshit their way out of. It was useful, in its way, a 'canary in a coalmine' as the derro put it, of imminent disaster that is not quite clearly articulated yet.

While the others are squawking and barking Penny pulls Winfred aside. "Explain, full report" she gestures to the vular woman from the empire delogation. "Type it out on the pad. I'm positive your words per minutes are faster and she can't hear."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Narinth: Success with Cost. There are loners with something to prove to spare in House Krodven but the pool of hotheads that live long enough to cool down is much narrower. A Drow Male abandoning family name, Gognan is one of those truest of true meatheads, too stupid to know fear but surviving because it translated to great reflexes and a total lack of hesitation. Kept busy even in the month of lockdown by steady employ in noble circles, he doesn't bump shoulders with the grunts much yet enjoys a reputation as a larger than life hero. You've had the misfortune of being on his side in a battle...

: ... where he saved the squad, including you. He offered you a key to his private bunk at the time and even now he recognizes and offers a friendly wave to you, his finger cleared of his trigger! "Huntress! Hah! SOL must be rough on the run! You need a helmet around these parts, Dust is everywhere!"

: Leering up at him from the side, Miricetti clears her throat sharply. "Gog, your helmet is very safe, clear stable, mmyes?"

: "Of course, Ma'am." Miricetti promptly hammer fists the back of his helmet, which vibrates steadily as it is indeed very stable. "Daaaahhh!"

---

Bella: Success with Cost. You attempt to share the story of your people. A people. The scary kind. Your unmasking draws stares of awe and wonder and some twinges of fear but it's your rambling explanation that begins concerned murmuring. In quiet desperation you let a psionic compulsion bloom and to your relief it takes in any random Mehman before similar calmed, half-lidded eyes spread rapidly through the crowd.

: "Ding Dong Ding, we do.. hzzt not share common ancestors. We will hear the Vular and the krrrt Vular speak their piece." The very tall figure folds up neatly in a crouch, bends under the cloak and wings made at three separate spots. Mihi's hand rests on your shoulder as they discretely whisper, save for a brief buzzing. "It is a crude taboo among the Mehman to try to control mood.. by chemical or otherwise." He straightens back to full height, fuzzy clawed fingers laced together and expression benign.

---

Drazyn: Success with Cost.

: "!!!" Sensation and awe ripples through the crowd, originating with the Elders taking in Drazyn's account of fleeing tyranny! Vicious colonizers! Evil slavers! Your ah, former primary culture and hosts. The three Elders briefly commune, showing severe expressions that don't match the rest of the now murmuring and deeply curious Mehman crowd, inclined to watch this diplomatic kerfuffle with awe.

: Mamodo is the first to rumble, retracting his enormous fists to vaguely lay them horizontally atop one another, almost looking too top heavy to stand. "And your conscience finds you as you meet the Mehman and our star, eh!"

: Anna offers an upturned palm to Drazyn, though it's of her large walker. "This is a friendly, neutral site. We offer succor freely but if you are here to recruit for your.. war.." Her figure shivers briefly inside the shell of the walker, and the other two Elders nod in shared sentiment.

---

SEBASTIAN: Success. Despite the absolute flood of possible connections and entities you can ping off of it seems that Miricetti and Gognan are here alone. There's something to be said for traveling light, fast and undetected, though it also suggests that they're able to hold their own. You also feel very aware that SomAI must be as readily available to them as your own Ariness AI is to you. At least you don't ping any Vular mechanical entities.

---

Penelope: At your very assertive prompting Winfred immediately buries his nose in his wrist-mounted PDA, five digits whirling across a little holographic projection keyboard.

: "Y-Yes, Mistress Krodven. Ahh, Countess Miricetti Tul-Faertala, marrying into House Tulen to a distant cousin, suspicious circumstances of death, a bit merry for a widow within the same month, years as a second tier researcher, public statements of the good will of the Sominaia project, ahh, ethics investigations in plea deals and passing of resources from personal accounts to the Vular war preparation.. uhm, combined PhDs in biology and robotics.."

---

Everyone: Having joined your circle between the crowd and with the Elders, the two Imperial stooges look at ease as they take in your group.

: "The field is Bio-Mechanisms, dear boy. I see we've something in common, with help that would be better off muted and gagged. Hmm hmm.. " Miricetti makes an elaborate show of a bow to the Elders, straightening with a contemplative sneer for Drazyn. "How touching, to know so much of Ariness has survived! You must have just arrived, seeking shelter with our technologically inclined friends... about how long ago, hmm?"

The eyes of the empire upon you, and the Elders still wary of both groups. A declaration of neutrality... you're not sure what might happen if a fight breaks out.

(To keep skill spam from going crazy, I'd suggest the party agree on a course of action or two and roll to support it, rather than firing off 5 separate things at the same time! Assisting others or building support/info is a good idea too.)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

AP 4 | No Conditions

Well, they did come here to recruit those hicks for their war, so Drazyn's song and dance might in fact have hindered their efforts. He shot an angry glance... Or at least the closest he could, lacking actual facial expressions, to the Drow. And as for the two newcomers, he shall just stand before them, not showing any overt sign of hostility, knowing that while a fight breaking out would likely end to the Ariness' advantage, they must not show any sign of being the aggressors while the negotiations are underway. "Ah. Lady Tul-Faertala. It is amusing that you had come yourself to visit. Knowing what passes for manners to your people, I assumed your intent here was to bring an army and raze this city."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

Bella stares at the Memanhamians, anxiously pulling the mental energy back, gently yet insistently, and focuses on Mihi.
<A thousand apologies,> shameful self-hatred, <it has been a long time since I resorted to wide influence of civilians like this. I am... unmoored, the influence of the worm is difficult to keep at bay. I am actually somewhat shocked, however, that the Illithid are so unknown to your people, we were... in all places, at all times, during our prime. There are vast reaches of the stars where... well, suffice to say that usually the question is whether we are met with immediate extermination or merely hate and fear. My anxieties and personality deficiencies are getting the better of me.>
Her eyes glow briefly, and much of the psychic display and aura quiets.
<Also, for us as we are now, such actions are as well a 'crude taboo.' If I was younger and caught doing that, I would be guided back home for reconditioning. Completely unacceptable.>

She focuses on Miricetti, and on Drazyn.
"Neutrality is of course preferred. We have numerous questions on a range of topics, information that would only benefit both our colonies. Particularly, I believe it would be to both our benefit for all of us to be more familiar with certain aspects of this world, particularly the worm."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"Gognan? Heh, I almost didn't recognize you with your new leash." She grins at him points her thumb at Miricetti. "Chafe much?"

A mad scientist and a walking hardon, operating alone in a zone house Gulgos was told to stay out of. If this was the force sent to subjugate the Mehmans it seemed awfully light, no matter how competent they may be as individuals. There was a Jun-Jun sized dog buried here.

"Our medics are on top of things, I'm not too worried about some 'dust'." She shrugs at Gog and plants a fist on her hip next to her shotgun, leaving the safety off for now. "Can you even see out of that bucket? No wonder we spotted you first."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

: "You seem ill-equipped for battle. I will ring if cleaning is required." Miricetti dismisses SEBASTIAN with a trio of rapid fire finger snaps.

: Gognan crosses over to Narinth and claps a palm to her shoulder, giving a friendly pump. "Hah! That's big talk with a dog of Ariness! Dog smells dog, eh? And I can smell, hell, I can see the dust on you! You get too much of this and you'll start to "evolve" too. Tell you what, go native, grow some moth wings, join 'em here and you can get back in with the Empire once these fine folks agree to uplifting." The wings of the Elders bristle at these bold words! He's oblivious to this and triumphantly taps his helmet with a pair of fingers. "This here's top of the line. Reception sucks with the big gal but my on-board Som-iii-ah is guiding everything, s'like neon light beautiful women in here kissing me 24/7."

: Mamodo shares thoughts with Bella. Or rather, he leans a bit forward, stares intently down at her and thinks as loudly as he can. <Misunderstandings are to be expected! We respect all cultures, at least at first. You may learn of the Mehman as you please, and know this. Ours is a mighty set of bonds, passed down since the first awakening, our first archived sensation of blessed sentience!! The council, our five eldest, watch over and store as much of our shared experiences as we can... this wisdom, this mass observation makes us the ideal watchers. Where one Mehman sees virtue, all will know of it. And the same can be said of vice!!>

: Content that the grunts found each other, Miricetti steps amidst the circle of the chatting party and elders, the big diplomatic meeting, and seems to bask in walking under the shadows of the taller Mehmans. "Yes, you always were a voice of reason, Bells. I do not want to waste time when so much to study is afoot, so I will brief you in lieu of our esteemed hosts. This neutrality is recognized and respected by the great Vular, and we will settle affairs with our wayward children in due time. The "Worm", as you know it, or Xeno-Fungus Gigerofae is an organic element that grows as infestion in the dark parts of the planet. Scanning is bothersome here but a subterranean element explains the clandestine coming and going, as well as enduring presence. The Mehman have long dealt with the unfortunate adherents of Gigerofae... these worm cultists are eager to adapt anything living into their, hmm, embrace, and their purposes seem to be hostile territorialism. More study is needed, of course." She clasps her hands together behind her back and stands stiff as a flagpole, nose upturned with a closed-lip smile of pride.

: "Memanham is a haven from the Worm. The generous presence of our blessed intelligence is anathema to them and only once in a biblio-era will they gather enough.. flesh to attempt an attack. Their simple-mindedness makes this a predictable if harrowing siege." Mihi sweeps an arm in a half bow at the waist. "We've many written accounts of each, if you care to share in our knowledge. ... Pending our first treaties, hmm?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

Narinth snorts. "I'd like to see Drazyn try to order me around." She safes her gun, seeing as Gognan had amicably closed to melee range anyway, and shakes her head. "No, my oaths of servitude died with Lady Vorala. This dog of war has been let slip, and if anyone tries to collar her again she'll bite their loving hand off." She bares her teeth in a vicious smile and clasps his shoulder to return his greeting. "Come on, let's give the bigwigs some space before they get the vapors." With a nod she pulls him off to the sidelines where they can observe without disturbing the diplomatic talks.

"If you think your leadership would roll out the red carpet for me if I grew some moth wings, think again. Last I heard they wanted to put me on ice, and that was before I took up arms in open rebellion. gently caress 'em." She spits on the ground. "Anyway, 24/7?" She levels a scrutinizing gaze at Gognan. "Soldier, just how many days straight have you been stinking it up that tin can of yours without a change of underclothes? How bad can the dust really be if your good doctor willingly exposes herself to it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

Penelope just cuts right to the point, "Hey, big man, its simple like this, we want to be your neighbors, they want to be your owners. I mean, look at her, she-" Penelope was about to go with the Vular idiom "eats babies for breakfast" but that was one of those insults that was considered a compliment, so she goes for another Vular idiom, "she clearly has a brain full of cum and a vagina full of spiders, is that the kind of person you want ordering your town around?" Okay that wasn't an idiom, that was her imps of the perverse workshopping the worst possible thing to say, but hopefully it became popular.

---
Penelope makes a skilled attempt at Chutzpah
Intent:
really, you want to be friends with those assholes?
Roll:
🎲1d6 (4) = 4