Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Narinth: Wincing anew, he tries to sit up.

: "The Bloody-er Krodven? I've heard of you, cousin." He sits and pushes himself up to actually sitting up, the day's first success. "But I'll call you Narinth to your face." He takes a pull from the bottle he's still gripping, not caring which one it is. "Big night.. big night.. eh, average one! We're cooped up on this ship a month, so drat rare to get let out that half the beast-men'll brain the other half to win the ticket.. eh.." He grimaces and smiles, making a polite face. His voice clears up from the ragged hoarseness of the hangover. "Me and the little miss just enjoyed our time in. Now why don't you tell me what this is about? You're no schemer so it must be worth my time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Dralvas Ammetu

"I am sure that the Empress would understand that I would rather complete my obligations to House Ariness before meeting her," Dralvas says already moving to board the rail car that would take them to the clan while glancing over their shoulder at the drow woman and saying, "So please convey my apologies for being unable to put off an important errand to meet with her to the Empress"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Deputy Therapist Bella

There's a bit of a pause, as Bella seems to digest Hollow Sky's... communications, observes the new... art piece, then tilts her head to Reyla. Small hints of yellow weave into her iridescence, and her vocoder lacks the earlier sort of melodious hum she's been adding since the initial meeting, becoming much more flat, the same flavor most others have.
"Busy indeed. As I mentioned, I'd still like to serve as ballast. It's easiest if one of us focuses on the scan, while the other filters out certain negative aspects of the process. I'm not suggesting Deputy Sky is in any way insufficient, he is still a much better choice than I for the primary.
"However, I would be partially present in the scan, and privy to sensitive information uncovered by it. Of course I would be subject to the same standards of confidentiality, but as I mentioned before I have a suspicion we may be working together in the future, and you may prefer not to reveal certain personal details with a co-worker at this time."

Edit: Edit continues not to be quote.

zachol fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 12, 2021

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Dralvas: Your presence stifles any further protests or possible swindling from this little woman, who can't even bid farewell before turning on her heel and stalking towards Ariness Manor.

Luckily there aren't too many heading your way so you can get two seats to yourself. A short, pleasant trip. Snippets of conversation pass you by as parents tell their children tales of the wonderful planet they'll go to soon, couples flirt or argue, and a particularly rough looking trio of Faertalan soldiers in light battle regalia share from the same brown-bagged bottle.

---

The land allotted to the Inmutashi of Clan Ammetu is adjacent to the forests on the borders of the Ariness district. Although there are modern amenities, a travel and shopping center and the standard design apartment blocks the Ammetu have encouraged and been aided in getting planet-life to overgrow everything. It is trimmed neatly and daily at the edges of their land. A few audacious art pieces have been erected on several of the unoccupied plots to encourage further growth and to see what beauty nature itself designs.

The hierarchy of Ammetu is similar to the homeworld: when all are equal, all voices are considered. Thus a council of every family branch in the Clan could be called, including significant persons and business-owning individuals. Even the entire clan could be tasked with the vote, though it's usually considered too impractical. In this case the vote to support House Ariness is an easy one to consider, as Ariness is already firmly allied with Clan Ammetu. It is agreed that between Dralvas and a few others a decision can be made and they may collaborate how to best show their support to Reyla in the very likely event they decide to do so.

: Fortune provides again in the form of your cousin Areshbad, as one of the voting members. They lock their talons with yours and share a smile. "As the importance of Ariness increases, so too will opportunities for us. It is an easy decision to support the noble lady." Source Art (Theming I was going with after seeing Dralvas' art was unique and ornamented head views for the pog. In most cases I'll link the source art even if I'm not going with it 100%.)

: Opposite you two the brooding Hamami taps finger-points along the table, watching Dralvas. "House Ariness is small. If this bid fails, they will remain so. We are already denied our rightful place at investigating the new planet. What assurances do you have of the third daughter's bid? Would not our faith be better placed in the second?" The Inmutashi do not have many moral questions when it comes to interstellar conflict. If somebody vanishing will pragmatically stop fighting then the assassins in the shadows aren't shy to hunt the ill-prepared. Hamami is a military Inmutashi like Dralvas. Source Art (Without the Elven ears.)

: Itiltu Duranki stands firm opposite the table, clicking in irritation. "Zhen does not respect you, nor us. You are called to task like a dog. Can you prove otherwise?" Their mood seems sour, their view biased. A younger sibling, Itiltu taught Calag how to brew in the first place. They disagreed with the decision to join the Sominaia but relented to avoid being left behind without any Clan or friends. Clan Ammetu's status as a minor faction on the ship sticks in their side. Source Art

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 11, 2021

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Verilasa “Veri” Qvalitris

Veri wakes up early in the morning, taking a quick shower before dressing for the day and hustling out to the meeting. She makes it there about a minute or so early, eagerly awaiting her new orders. As Mei explodes at her, she jumps back for a second (not used to being screamed at as she got out of mandatory service by going to university and joining the state robotics company). She replies hesitantly, "...yes... ma'am..." nodding sheepishly as she heads out with the crew. Upon meeting the others, she feels a hint of... not quite disgust, but distrust for the career military folks among the team, owing to her distaste of the military in general more so than the people themselves. Besides that, she's relatively used to people of stature, having gone through graduate school and dealt with distinguished professors in her field, leaving her little room to be intimidated by the nobility around her.

Upon meeting the beast, she steps back and puts her hand on her chin. "This... may be a problem. I'm... not used to dealing with... living beings. Do any of you have an idea? I don't really want to drag it anywhere or we may hurt it!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

The elegant Butler would accept the children's gift with a polite bow. Perhaps, if this was better polished and cut, it could be a decent piece of jewelry for the Masters... Nevertheless, he had to go, and thus the truck would move towards their next spot, the home of House Gulgus, and the place where they were to get the main dish for the banquet. Nodding at Humphrey, the one that was likely to be the man in charge once they reached the place, he would give a quick introduction and then look at the Beast with some curiosity. Well, that thing is large enough for a decent serving, that is for sure.

Yet his pondering would be interrupted by two boorish Gulgos' nobles who seemingly confused him with a servant of this mediocre household. Alas, one of them is ascended, and while they lacked the fine elegance and breeding of Ariness, they were still from a Vular house, and thus he would respond as politely as possible. "Madam, I regret to inform you that I am in service of most noble House Ariness, here to purchase one of the beasts here. I would suggest you ask for another person for help on such a matter." Giving an elegant bow, he would begin to scan his internal database and memories to find more information on the House that might lead to some intel on who these people are...

Using House History
House History: 1d6 6

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Reyla Ariness

Well, one change of plans is suspicious. Two starts to smell like a plot. There's not much she's likely to get from freezing Bella out of the process, though. Mei's... everything, really, aside, the Master-at-Arms has proved a fair judge of character in the past. If Bella was not on the up and up, she wouldn't have been brought into this process.

Offering Bella a thin, but appreciative smile, Reyla says, "Of course, that seems entirely reasonable." There's a brief, searching glance as she considers the far friendlier of the illithids in the room. "I suppose we should get this out of the way then, so your compatriots can get back to dealing with their other business."

With that, Reyla settles into the chair.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Deputy Therapist Bella

Bella smiles, settling down right next to the chair and laying an arm across Reyla's shoulders, resting her helmet against Reyla's temple.
<This should normally be a routine process. I am unsure why there have been changes in the plan several times. Please stay alert, but also please try to relax for now.>

Serving as ballast is primarily an issue of filtering out the psychic equivalent of screeching feedback, white noise, strange pains and sensations that can disrupt the process. In an interrogation, these aren't necessarily a problem, they can help drain the subject's focus and willpower, but in an ostensibly 'friendly' scan like this it's the responsibility of the scanner to minimize them when possible.
Primarily, Bella is simply here to filter out the psychic feedback and take it upon herself. If Hollow Sky is being particularly careless or unpracticed (or malicious...), that could mean some degree of psychic damage, and it could also help if there's some kind of severe disconnect between Reyla and Sky's mindset.

Rolling Persistence to endure the psychic noise and Help Reyla with a roll, 2 for a Twist.
Suggestions are excessive crossover and confusion, or some psychic damage that Reyla would take gets shunted onto Bella.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Cpt. Penelope

Okay, parts A, B, and C. Part A is shoving enough of this nightmare brew into a feed sack with grain and feeding it to the critter, step two is pulling it onto the bed. And we're there. And. wait, no, yeah, its fighting back.

One might think, wouldn't a drow have problems hitting a giant rear end critter like that in the head hard enough to drop it? And you'd be right, which is why Penelope takes a few steps back before delivering a flying throat kick that is hopefully in that titration point of dropping but not killing it.

Brawling to get this thing on there

4, success with skill

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Reyla Ariness

Reyla does her utmost to relax, given the limits of the situation, which is... not much. She does at least close her eyes. Hopefully, nobody tries anything. It would be quite a lot of explaining to do if, say, Hollow Sky decided to trip one of her many arcane failsafes while attempting to suborn her consciousness.

Though, worse comes to worst, she can at least pick a spectral brain about what's really going on here.

Unnatural Stamina (AP boost via Magical Theory): 2d6k1 5
Clean success!

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Dralvas Ammetu

"Zhen doesn't respect us only because she has not seen what we can do when we exert ourselves and I see this bid as a way to show her why Clan Ammetu is deserving of more" Dralvas says turning to Itiltu before turning to Hamami and saying, "helping the third daughter would reflect better on us as she faces a harder challenge than her elder sister does and has made alliances with scions from other minor houses"

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Veri

Looking back with confused horror, Veri stammers out a quick reaction, “that… was unnecessarily violent… I guess let’s get this going…” she says as she tries to figure out how to move the heavy, now unconscious beast.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

"For something that has a future life expectancy measured in hours, it is *precisely* as violent as needed to keep a pulse going so refrigeration is not an issue. Now, can your toys help get this thing into position so we can strap it down and be off?"

Before taking off, Penelope attempts to corner Humphrey and make it clear that if he has any more beasts that 'need to go somewhere' he'd be adequately compensated. "They'll be taken to a nice farm, up-ship"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 12, 2021

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Narinth dal Krodven

Narinth lets out a chuckle, then places her hands in a wide grip on the backrest of a couch that's angled towards the one Omamyn is sitting on. "They've got me running diplomatic errands, can you believe that?" She tilts her head slightly to express her own disbelief. "But I guess you G-force-junkies still have the worse of it with your wings clipped." She lets out another chuckle and leans forward. The couch lets out a futile creak in protest as her weight shifts on it. "Well, if you're interested in a big night, I'm here to invite you and your family to a banquet held by House Ariness. The third daughter Reyla Ariness is a candidate for the upcoming ascension ritual, and is looking for support."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

SEBASTIAN: A smashing Success with a Bonus:

quote:

Plutonis: Advantage on the next social roll with members of Gulgos

(Granted.)

: Drawing upon your personal data banks you recount the one time Gwendolyn Atri-Gulgos was a guest at House Ariness as member of a group of House Gulgos dignitaries. Blessed by the flames of Vaetin she has a military record as a siege-breaker and is known for putting down a few riots on the homeworld nearly single-handedly. For someone with a profile for fantastic violence and an affinity for fire she is level-headed in politics. Her Ascension shows itself most dramatically in the swath of destruction she ate through the Ariness larders. Gwen's appetite would put the beast Penelope is dropkicking to shame. She did make a generous payment to Ariness to restock the next day, along with a hand-written thank you to the head of staff, which would turn out to be you. Source Art (Here's a case as I mentioned earlier. Good pog art, larger girl with an alien look, virgin killer sweater pin-up pic. Ah well.)

: The gentleman seems out of place, a charming fellow dressed to the nines and somehow evading the splatter of food and debris. You can identify him as Danruel Colein of House Ossughym. A large House that pays the most service to supporting a commoner population Ossughym is officially in charge of diplomatic matters and even the postal service. They always seem to know more than a sect of simple public servants would let on. Why he's here is his own business and the only educated guess you could make is a fondness for large women. Or some diplomatic gain with House Gulgos. Source Art

: "Ah, the Ariness delivery. Then you must be "The" SEBASTIAN. See, Gwen, nothing of House Ariness is substandard in quality." Several onlookers cheer as Penelope actually subdues the beast physically. "... Particularly the help. It's a shame you lack the ambition of organics to advance your career, I'm sure Ossughym would pay handsomely to retain you." He tips his cane to SEBASTIAN. "As you were, sir."

: "Hmmm, not bad. That's my kind of woman!" Having shredded the bones Gwen massages the marrow with her fingers and the meat begins to smoke.

---

Penelope, Veri, SEBASTIAN: Convincing a simple herbivore to eat this grain instead of that grain is as easy as pushing the drugged grain in front of its mouth. A few minutes later it actually sways on its hooves a moment, then *gronks* loudly and pulls back against the rope around its neck. What follows is a rousing Success as Penelope dropkicks it in the side of the head, thanking nature for not giving it prominent horns. With a trailing bellow the big blue beast slouches over onto its side and rests.

You can pull the truck over and struggle with it but this task is still a bit beyond you. After a few moments of struggle the great beast rises.. and keeps going, comatose, into the air.

: Gwendolyn buckles slightly at the knees and takes steady steps to place the beast on the bed of your truck. "Easy does it." She's cleaned up before leaving the party table and extends a clean hand to Penelope in greeting. "Nice hat!"

---

Penelope: A bit later you hit up Humphrey about his stock of extra beasts.

: "Sorry but no doin'. We got a mighty need, as you can see, and it's prolly above your paygrade anyway. Ariness paid out the nose for the one they got." A no go on doing this legally!

---

Dralvas: Your cool words seem to smooth the table out slightly.

: "Bah! If they wanted to know what we could do they would send us onto the planet! You're no better than her worg!" Itiltu audibly hisses.

: It's not often Areshbad will brandish pointed fingers. Always seems to be on your behalf. "Do not be rude to Dralvas. We all must be patient."

: "You are correct about the prospect of a greater challenge. The Vular is ever a meritocracy. There must be a reason Circa Ariness is not in the running.. I will agree to supporting Reyla."

You'll have to convince Itiltu somehow, or go over their head. This would be a time to try a Skill(AP optional for a Trick or Advantage), pull a Connection, spread some Wealth or even trade in some favor. Itiltu wouldn't get you into anything illegal or harmful but owing them a favor could be a source of irritation later.

---

Reyla, Bella: You both get seated and Bella is ready to support Reyla(rolls requested by me in Discord and already received in posts.)

: "Please breath evenly. This process will conclude shortly." Reaching up to adjust and pull wide the many layers obscuring his face, Hollow Sky Yawning eventually frees his tentacled face and kneels beside Reyla, bringing his unusually dry and cold temple intimately close to the two of you. An almost literal and physical brainstorming session... at his insistence and a mild calming compulsion he wills everyone to keep their eyes closed and his mental probing begins, a tangible foreign presence in the mind but a very calm and unobtrusive one, as though a person were very cautiously searching every square inch of a room before entering it.

<Understanding of Motivation, Determination of Empathy, Shadows of Trauma..> Hollow recites a mantra repeatedly, as though processing code internally. He is robotically ciphering through Reyla's mental workings, though at times it feels that an energy goes beyond that and seeks the spiritual as well.

Reyla, Bella: Eyes closed, sensations mental and felt but not seen, all is going routinely. Hollow Sky thinks to the three of you that he will <Dig Deep> and the darkness pulls back in a yawning, spiraling chasm into the whole of the cosmos that have surrounded the Sominaia for the last month.

Reyla is the first to feel something unusual internally but Bella experiences the pain as she shunts an outsider's overwhelming presence into her own mind, experiencing the withering appraisal and boundless contempt of a shambling hulk in the space between stars, one who occupies the same space as three others, those who deign to pay attention to the solid spaces the stars and celestial bodies form, to watch them and those that live on them. Bella feels <A Sensation Of Burning Acid> and her mind is wracked by agony!

There's no sign of Hollow Sky's presence and the pain eventually abates but there is something else, a strange rising static that fills the darkness until an overwhelming array of images pours into Reyla and by association Bella's anchoring mind, a screaming voice in dozens of simultaneous tongues erupting into gibberish and railing at the two of you.

The voices scream until you both experience a mental lapse and enter REM sleep, briefly nodding off.

---

Bella: You are Mentally Exhausted, having Disadvantage on Social or Mental Skills until you get a nice long rest such as a good night's sleep or powerful medication. It'll be particularly hard to indulge non-Illithid in their political posturing for the rest of the day after that shock to the synapses.

Reyla, Bella: The darkness fades and Reyla comes to in the chair, Hollow Sky Yawning already at an adjacent desk neatly writing on a scroll of parchment with one hand while rapidly tapping into a keyboard with the other.

: He seems completely unperturbed by the experience. Sensing your conscious minds, he speaks. "Ariness, Daughter Reyla. Deputy Bella. Results of mental probe: Good. Although tendency for obsession has been observed it is within socially acceptable parameters of great inventors and those of median ambition for Vular society. Adversarial trauma with family is also within socially acceptable parameter. Report will be submitted duly by end of the artificial solar cycle. In professional opinion Reyla is qualified for suspected trauma associated with process of Ascension." He turns and offers a printed text copy of this clean bill of mental health to the two of you. His eyes do not waver and his expressions are too dark to see as he quips: "Congratulations."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 9, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Narinth: Omamyn thinks for a moment to the news then lets out a low whistle.

: "Little miss Reyla is really an adult now, isn't she? Well I'd accept in a heartbeat, my boy can't meet anyone shut up in a library all day.. but, ah, bit of a hitch." He leans back on the couch and lounges, stretching an arm out to the side and along the top of it. "I'm here by myself for ah, my own health, obviously. But you'll need to chat to my wife and Adil to get them in on it. They've gone out for the day.. you're a bit lucky, Adil has his own place but they wanted to spend some time together." He reaches down and grabs the second bottle, checks the label(water), then drinks from the medicine bottle again. "They should be out on the lake, likely fishing." He grins and looks to you like he's really come through for you just now. "You know the missus, hates politics." Or for himself, leaving the convincing in your court.

Rousing himself Omamyn heads further into the den, checking over some of the stills. He finishes the medicine bottle and rinses it out before beginning to clean it and finally fill it with one of the still liquors, a vibrant red.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

Hmph, a brute and a lickspittle. Thankfully SEBASTIAN's face lacked any sort of facial expressions, or else he would scowl at the Ossughym man for that snide remark upon his employers, instead keeping a diplomatic facade. "Indeed, Lord Colein, that is indeed, me. I salute your perspicacity on that matter. Nevertheless, were I even an organic..." A small measure of contempt could still be sensed as he pronounced the word. "I would find it still my current job situation to be quite satisfactory. Perhaps with the money you would use to pay me I could perhaps recommend to instead invest on R&D if your current robotic servitors are not of your like."

With one last flowery bow, the butler would excuse himself and join the others, looking at the knocked out creature with a measure of curiosity. "You are killing it here and then? If provided with an apron to prevent the blood from staining my uniform, I can ensure this beast will be compacted into fine cuts in our way back."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Reyla Ariness

Reyla blinks away the remnants of REM and gamely listens to Hollow Sky's clean bill of health. On the one hand, excellent. On the other, that seemed... non-standard. Uncouth to make a scene about it, though she'll certainly have questions for Bella after they leave.

Keeping a very professional face on, she says, "Excellent, I'm glad to hear it. I endeavor to keep within socially acceptable parameters." She looks over to Bella, "Thank you for your assistance. I have a few questions about some of the specifics of the metrics, so perhaps you'd see fit to join me on the rest of the day's preparations?"

The source of the terrible presence, countless screaming voices... well, the latter could be spectral residue. The former, though, was certainly outside her expectations.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

It sounded an awful lot like an arranged marriage was in the works between Reyla and Adil. Narinth decided not to pry any further, primarily because she couldn't care less.

"Uh-huh." Narinth rises to her full height and gives Omamyn a flat, unimpressed look as he hoists his responsibilities on her. How typical of a fly boy to leave the dirty work to the boots on the ground. She recalled Mei's words about not being rude. "I'll leave you to your health then." She restrains herself from rolling her eyes as he fills his bottle with the distilled red liquid. "Hope your recovery will be a speedy one." She turns on her heel and leaves, but not before casting a look over her shoulder to shoot him a wink. "And tomorrow's as well." Walking towards the door, she starts making her way towards the lake.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Narinth: On your way out you hear Omamyn call.

: "Hold it." An underhand toss of the filled and corked bottle to you, trusting in your reflexes. "Take that to them, will you? And good luck. If they don't want to go then I'll be outnumbered on the matter." He winks and you're out the door.

As you head for the central entrance/exit of the manor grounds you spot a familiar set of heavy plate hustling double time to intercept you in the hall. The heavy presence of the armor and the sinister edge on the shouldered battle ax would be alarming if the woman in it wasn't one of the few you can trust.

: Quarra Quandar, Derro Commando and Ranger. She thumbs her nose as a fidgeting gesture and gives you a tight-lipped nod. "Narinth. Soon as I heard you were here I knew what I had to do.. everyone knows, Ristel knows, and he's pissed." You can even hear the ceremonial marching drums of the military band. Seems he wanted a show as the drills concluded. "Good to see you, luv."

Going out the front nearly guarantees one unpleasant encounter... what to do?

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 11, 2022

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

Narinth catches the bottle and looks down at it, reappraising it. She gives Omamyn a nod and heads out.

---

"Quarra." Narinth greets her with a slight but genuine smile, an otherwise unique sight. "It's good to see you too, hon." She tilts her head back and looks up to the side, honing in her ears on the sound of the marching drums, and she purses her lips. "Thought I had some time yet before the morning drills were over." She looks back at Quarra. "What do you think he's got planned?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Narinth: Quarra shakes her head.

: "A Krodven morning started 4 hours ago. He's come back to refresh before the second shift and hears you're here to see old man Omamyn. Put two and two together faster than ever, I reckon he'll chew you out for fun before boring you to death on disrespecting him.. then deny what you want with the old "WMD Clearance" shtick, if you're after what I think you're after. Discretion is the better part of valor right now, luv."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

"Thanks, you're not bad yourself," Penelope pauses for a moment to think of how to say to the Ascend that her thighs were ludicrously huge but in a good way but comes up short and just smiles. "That'd be a no-go, Sebastian. Mostly because we'd have to gut it first and I want to know, who, exactly, I'm going to inflict half a metric ton of intestines and guts on. I'd hate for it to just go to waste, you know."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Verilasa “Veri” Qvalitris

Veri stares in horror as the two discuss slaughtering the beast. "I..." she stammers, "I don't think we need to do anything like that right now. Lets just get it back to where we're going in one piece and let them take care if it from there..."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Penelope, SEBASTIAN, Veri: As you roughly rope down the slumbering steer and get ready to blow this popsicle stand somebody in House Gulgos formal attire runs over, waving erratically at your group with both hands.

: "HEY! Is that really humane!? Gods damnit, you even tore the fencing! Can't you show a little respect!?" Veri alone would know this angry little Drow woman as Illiris Dravin, a former classmate from long ago. Seems her life took her onto the colonization ship.

: "The Captain met her foe head-on in honorable combat. That's respect enough."

: Sighing and using a fresh spool and a heavily padded mechanical glove with some hook-fingers and a reeling winch at the wrist Illiris begins to repair where your truck clipped the padding. "They have a species classification and everything, they're an important part of the ecosystems below, Madam Gulgos."

: Chuckling, Gwen slaps Penelope on the back and heads back to the feasting table. "They're everywhere down there! Nobody will sweat a half-dozen!"

: Looking over to Veri, Illiris perks up. "Hey.. if your pals got it, would you mind staying a bit? We should talk!"

Pending Veri's decision she can stay at Gulgos Manor for a bit or join the next little scene...

Penelope: SEBASTIAN can drive and deliver the beast by himself, or you could arrange something after delivering it. You've still got that Illegal Meat Vendor Deal in the back of your mind.

---

SEBASTIAN, possibly Veri and Penelope: Returning to Ariness' district and Manor Ariness you successfully deliver the big bull to the rest of the house staff who can muster enough prodding, pulleys and manpower to get it where it needs to go. Another veteran staff member is present to direct the unloading even as you two are there and getting out of the truck cab.

: "Assessment: Goods appear to be damaged." An oddly proportioned and old-fashioned in attire android directs her neon eye over the steed, then upon SEBASTIAN. "Correction: Beast appears to be freshly damaged. Inefficient models remain as they were designed, and woefully so. Is this the sum of your contribution to the banquet preparation? Then depart. There is dust in at least three hallways and four outdoor window arrays." The Head Maid is to the Chief Butler as Yin is to Yang. Some good resides in one, some evil in the other, and who can say which is which energy. Christine Epsilon seems intent on obliterating what little good will resides in the stuffy SEBASTIAN. Gesturing to the rest of the staff an array of knife-handed robots begin planning for how best to dissect the beast...

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 13, 2021

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

Faint swirling reds and blues gradually travel along and up Bella's suit, forming strange patterns across her helmet, and the low constant echo of three glass bells with a clear and pleasant tone have degraded into a faint, static buzz.
"Something is wrong. I should compose a report for the Chief, along with the Ariness psions and warlocks. I--surely, they must already be aware, but a corroborating report would be... I..."
She falls silent, then turns to Reyla.
"Apologies for certain aspects of the scan. I was not prepared for... I should still have maintained the... should have..."

She trails off, then looks down at the report.
"Yes, we should review the findings of the scan. The Illithid's current mores and ways of characterizing certain behaviors and mindsets may be somewhat unusual from a drow perspective, and I could help rephrase anything you are unfamiliar with, as well as manage expectations for your family's reaction. There is a private--there are several common rooms which can be made private, I suspect at least one will be open. Please follow me."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Reyla, Bella: A tinge of mental concern emanates from Hollow Sky.

: "Bella, you are.. injured." Creases have formed around the middle rim of the inner facial fabric. He speaks telepathically with Bella alone <"An emergency request for debriefing came in for a squad of Faertalan soldiers that went planet-side. Pepper would want your assistance.. but I will tell her you need to rest. I must go and assist."> He bows his head to Reyla. "I grant you as much superstitious element of random chance as my immortal soul may permit to share, Madam Ariness." He departs and leaves you two to use one of the private therapy rooms.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Reyla Ariness

Reyla nods in acknowledgment of Sky's well-wish (of sorts), then waits for the privacy of a therapy room. Once inside, she fixes Bella with a somewhat concerned look. She says, "That felt... not standard. And judging by your color palette, would I be amiss in thinking you share some of those concerns?"

She paces around the room, examining her own recollections of the strange phenomena, then there's a brief hitch in her step as the natural conclusions finally filter in, "...But before that, are you alright? If you were filtering the negative aspects of the probe, then..."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

<Gratitude, there was a connection to a local environmental psychic hazard. I have encountered hazards of this type before, but this one is unusually large. I will relay a short packet of the impression, please pass it on to the Chief. I will package a more comprehensive copy for review later.>
Bella transmits a heavily sanitized echo of the screaming presence, really more of an impression of her impression of what she experienced, enough to give a sense of it but not nearly enough to cause damage itself, then turns to focus fully on Reyla.

"Excuse our private communication. I am unsure how much of the experience near the end I let through, which I again apologize for, but it is clearly important to relay to our supervisors. I will endeavor to answer any questions you have, but I may be somewhat distracted while processing and packaging the experience for transmission."
She starts off towards the hallway, pauses again, then glances at Reyla.
"We should avoid discussing the subject in public. Follow me."

~~~

Once there, Bella relaxes... somewhat.
"That was unexpected. I have some experience handling environmental psychic hazards... they're somewhat similar to ghosts, or to a genius loci. Or we could perhaps be in the presence of a minor divinity. Or something else... this is an entirely novel region of space. It was much larger than anything I'm used to handling."

"I myself am... less than stellar. I could recover, but I would have to excise many of the finer details of my memory of the experience, and I have a responsibility to package as complete of a transmission as possible for dissection. I am almost certain authorities are already aware of the situation, but another incident of contact and the details of the experience should be valuable for confirming what the colony will be dealing with."

zachol fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 13, 2021

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

Penelope makes some small talk with Gwendolen and tries not to wince when the ascended does her damnedest to knock loose her spinal discs. "If they're down planetside, I'm guessing we can get them ship-side, and that means less fungus loaf for everyone involved. I might be assigned...scouting duties later, would you be interested in some wrasslin'? See who can drop the most first?"

Later after the drop off. "Great, now the bots are saying the same drat thing all my exes do." Penelope goes to move the truck back to some place where everyone else will assume its being used but where it won't actually get checked back in. Penelope keeps the banter about oodles of the beast down there on the planet and starts doing math in her head and something something scouting expeditions down to the surface.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 13, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

Ah, her. At that point of their career together, neither SEBASTIAN or Christine could keep the charade or pretending either of them had any positive feelings for each other, instead relying on barely held contempt and passive aggression in every single interaction between each other, an impressive feat as neither of them were originally programmed with such capabilities. "The beast is knocked out but the meat is still in perfect condition. Perhaps your sensors might need to be recalibrated, Epsilon. Not to mention I am the one better equipped to deal with preparing and cooking the creature as Chef 047 is back at the homeworld." He answered her, with a pithy as possible tone while waiting for the animal to be fully butchered and ready for his preparation.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Reyla Ariness

Reyla mulls over that for a few moments, then gives a slow nod, "That does make sense. If that thing is more than just an ambient psychic phenomenon, it could be a serious problem for the ship." A beat, a contemplative lilt softening Reyla's normally stoic expression. "Well, I can always take a look at my own personal research and see if there are any similarities to aggregates of spiritual residue. After the banquet, regrettably, as I don't think I can justify holing up with my equipment before then."

Marking an insight token for discovering something strange or inexplicable! "The Immense Psychic Presence In Space"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

"Yes, that would be... helpful. It may be just the proximity and the lingering damage, but I am worried about underestimating the threat, it..."

She trails off, distracted and confused, reds still shimmering over her suit and helmet, then refocuses on Reyla.
"Did you have any questions or concerns about the scan itself? I hope I was able to regulate the experience before that... interference. I am also glad you seem to be clean of any deep compulsions. Finding yourself subject to unanticipated influence can be very unpleasant, it's preferable to be able to account and plan for them."

Another pause, some of the reds turning to a lighter rose, and she laughs, briefly, an odd sound that's more of a huff through the vocoder. Her voice is starting to regain the earlier enthusiasm and cheer.
"And now I realize I'm still very off kilter. Inappropriate topic for conversation with other groups, indeed."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yvonnel Orlyund-Faertala

OK so she had been asked to help for her connections rather than anything else. Why not ask Sir Byrris directly?

Probably because if she did that then there would be favors owed. If the invitation came from a lower member of the House, especially one who could be argued to be on "Thin ice" as it was, then it could be seen as more "equal", people given their own opportunity to support an Ascension. It was a big deal.

But this meant it was time to call "family." (If the massive noble house could really be called a family in and of itself) This task of had been delegated to her, and once she completed it she could hopefully show the world what she could do without tea parties.

"Arin." She said to her PDA, her mind flipping through the members of House Faertala she knew in a more direct way, trying to find the right person to reach out to first. "Give me the contact information of..."

Rolling Connections (Nobility) to find a person who would be amiable to supporting Reyla. Result: 4

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yvonnel: Your PDA screen flickers with a helpful face.

: "The young lady of the house has studied with Master Lemais Faertala in the arts of spiritual soothsaying." Arin flickers and intersperses a two-frame throat clearing. "There is a small group of Faertalan officials checking in for therapy at the Illithid Enclave today as well... and there is the unresolved matter of your cousin Evelyn calling up Colonel Zhen. Analyzing past visitation records it is unlikely she will stand for being ignored further."

The first two situations are clear places where you could pull some influence, perhaps in exchange for a light favor or some resources. Lemais would be in Faertala's Ship District and you'd want to take the railway. The Illithid Enclave is within walking distance in the Ariness District. You can still go straight to Byrris Diluae but that will inevitably involve a big debt, likely political. Evelyn could be anywhere.

---

Penelope: You deliver the beast and let Chrome Dome and Cyclops have it out, taking off with the truck under the cunning pretense that it's your job to see it back to the garage. Then you pull around to the side of the Manor and by the service entrance, intent on getting your cut of the apparently lucrative ur-bovine business. You gather the same tools used to subdue the steer, minus the expended moonshine, and check your truck bed. Good for another run. When you get into the cab and get ready to pull out your vehicle gently decelerates and the onboard computer informs you that there is a Floral Entanglement, Rear End.

: When you get out a sheath of thorny vines is burying itself back into the otherwise pristine manor lawn and a cagey looking woman and her glowing staff are grinning at you. "Hey kid. You look like you work here! Could I interest you in a finder's fee for telling me where one of the two Ariness dames are skulking about today?"

---

SEBASTIAN: Horrible things happen barely off-screen as you follow Christine and the kitchen staff back into the butchery. The cuts of meat prepared are enormous, generous, gorgeously marbled. Worth the asking price for sure.

: "See that you don't embarrass yourself. It is not your tin-plated ego at stake but the Master's." Mercifully the Chrome Crone relents and departs, leaving you to the task of devising the courses. How will you prepare all these gorgeous cuts of meat? What will accompany them? It's time for the Ultimate Butler to show off his Skills!

---

Reyla, Bella: Once Bella has caught her breath the two of you can depart the Enclave. Though you could also remain and snoop around if you please, something seems to be up. There were many tasks Mei wanted done and it's not impossible that more than was requested could be done. You have the rest of the day left to the two of you and there's many ways to build influence in Vular society. Arin informs you via PDA that the steer from House Gulgos has been delivered successfully, so that's one task already completed.

Bella receives a polite mental message that someone has arrived at the building looking for Reyla. It's no trouble to allow them in once their name is shared.

: A rare friend of Reyla's, Karmine Reyarch of House Reyarch is in a similar position to Reyla's, looking to make something of themselves and struggling with antiquated notions of who was born first getting in the way. House Reyarch is not known for much other than being reclusive by nature and providing rare troops to House Tulen who excel at forward scouting operations, a minor but still noble House in every way. "Reyla, are you in there?" The confident young Drow woman steps into the central office and calls out on her own, though her off-grey shade of skin and rounded features make it clear her parents were a Drow/Human pair. Her father is the Drow patriarch of the House.

She stops before the great portrait in the circular office and stares up at to briefly. "Oh my. ... Well, he's no Elder of mine." She calls out again. "Reyla, are you here? I'd heard you passed the physical!"

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 11, 2022

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

Penelope stares at this...person.

"Okay, but I gotta know, is this a crazy-stalker-ex thing, an assassination, a burglary, tourism or specific combination thereof? I need to know whether to advise you to go in backdoor, ventilation shaft or other. They're having a big party soon, maybe you could hide in and pop out of the cake, you're already dressed for that. I can tell you're pretty tough, and that you gave your makeup drawer as much of a savage beating as it gave you, so you shouldn't have any problems after that."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

SEBASTIAN's head glows slightly, a LED display in what would be his face briefly flashing 🖕 before he would focus on the task at hand. With the meats all neatly displayed in front of him, he would gesture as several assistants would follow him in the task of beginning to cook, prepare and salt the meat alongside the side dishes. Even as he prepared his own cuts, the android's brain sent signals to the others doing simultaneous tasks, instructing and leading them into following his lead, the group of servitors and drones all working in perfect sync as what seemed to be dozens of different meat dishes, each using a different cut from the large beast, were being prepared simultaneously.

Cooking + Coordination: 2d6k1 4

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

SEBASTIAN: A resounding and expected Success in the kitchen. The excellence of the meal on display will be an assured sign of the stature of House Ariness.

You've some free time before the day concludes. Perhaps one of the others could use your help, or there is something extra you'd like to do?

Penelope: With a lilting laugh your fashionable new friend waves off your casual insults.

: "Better the attempt made than to surrender fully as you have." She wrings her hands around her staff and grins horribly at Penelope. "You may call be Eve. I'm looking to band together a little power play with a bit of privileged information I hold.. on a discreet public function our good leader and Empress Tulen would be hosting today. But if you do not think the daughters of Ariness are so bold.. well.. I'm sure your hard work and perseverance might pay off in another two hundred years.. a~ha~ha~hah.."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 11, 2022

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

"Look, I didn't say I wouldn't tell you how to get in, one of 'em is doing something with mindflayers at the moment and the other one is in the big house, there's a big party soon. Do with this as you will. For what its worth you're handling the fact your family never loved you better than most of the rest of us do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Penelope: With a very forward *bap* Evelyn gets close to you and raps her staff across one of your knees.

: "You've been a greater help than you know." She presses her hand into yours and leaves a pair of authentic golden coins behind before stalking off, feathers and beads swishing menacingly. She's leaving the grounds of Ariness Manor.

The coins are worth +.5 above your current tier of wealth. It's enough to get a limited amount of something very nice, such as two bottles of the good stuff like the Derro won't poo poo-talk. Unlike actual Wealth once it is spent it is gone, unless you were to summon that last bit of long-term thinking left deep inside you and somehow invest it.