Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Huh. Not a tournament, just held up? I'll take it I guess, but the booking's a little odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sticklefifer posted:

Huh. Not a tournament, just held up? I'll take it I guess, but the booking's a little odd.

At least I'm looking forward to it because that was an exciting teaser.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My Masquerade bois are on :neckbeard:

That poor ring crew guy hauling off all of their costumes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That 4-way dropkick :stare:

Jason Lee's offense is so crisp, my god

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 9, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Fujii is SO MAD about a Strong Machine in the crowd

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Fujii is SO MAD about a Strong Machine in the crowd

In fairness, Fujii is mad when the sun rises and when it sets

Is Kanda looking more lean than usual?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Punchy takes so much abuse.

Kanda does look a little slimmer, yeah.

:lol: the referee spot

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That duck the clothesline, get hit with a reverse DDT spot is probably the most i've ever liked Punch

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

That duck the clothesline, get hit with a reverse DDT spot is probably the most i've ever liked Punch

This is the most I've ever liked Punch:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Kong's looking leaner too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

How am I still biting on the Asai moonsault tease? What a mark

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ultimo Dragon moves that well at 54 and I somehow hurt my lower back sleeping last night.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
:byodood: VICTORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Aw poo poo it's KZY TIME

I really hope Doi joins HIGH-END. They keep teasing me. :cry:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 9, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I hope Doi leads a new faction featuring him and Yoshida and Maria. And Strong Machine J.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Add 1 or 2 RED defectors in there and I'm into it. HYO maybe.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Doi keeps trying to run as fast as his boy Speed Star. :3:

Ben-K's Doctor Bomb is lovely.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Time to heat up Ben again after a while on the back burner imo

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ha, they added SBK and Okuda to this because of the opener. Nice.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Solid show overall. Really enjoyed how the Okuda/SBK feud was the story focus of the night.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Both of the rookies on today’s show are ones I’m pretty high on. https://twitter.com/dragongatentwk/status/1424653184702697482?s=21

Takumi Fujiwara’s in black and he’s probably the most complete guy in this class imo. Riki Iihashi in green is one of Koji Ishinriki’s (former sumo, was in SWS and WAR, had his debut against Jeff Jarrett of all people) kids. His brother Ishin is a bit better imo, but both are pretty solid and are bringing in sponsor money due to their dad. The Iihashis are who I expect will formally debut first out of the class of 2021 (it’s a large class, should expect six to debut given they all pass their final pro test).

I think we are getting an eventual Doi-gun with Doi/Eita/SMJ/Maria/Sora/Yoshida. It doesn’t get me super enthused but those are the bigger pieces being left over and the Eita face turn/new heel unit.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If the 2021 class is that big, I wonder if we'll also see another Over Generation/Mochi Dojo type unit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Show today was kind of your standard DG house show, nothing blowaway (well, Okuda vs SBK was heading to Okuda Ishida heights of tremendous before the finish) but nothing bad and a lot of really good solid wrestling.

Definitely think the opener & the final 2 matches were the standouts.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Catching up now. Really liked the scmozz and intensity of the Brave Gate, Okuda's at his best when he can just be really intense and beat the poo poo out of someone he hates whether it's against Mochizuki or Ishida or Punch or now Kento. Full main event in Osaka should be good, this match did it's job on selling me.

Second match is a fun reminder that both Natural Vibes and Masquerade are really cool teams. Every time I see him doing cool blow away things, I remember that there's a dark alternate timeline where Jason Lee is one of the three people left wasting away on 205 Live.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

anyone that debuted against Jeff Jarrett and didn't immediately quit the business is gonna be a star.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

If the 2021 class is that big, I wonder if we'll also see another Over Generation/Mochi Dojo type unit.

the output of the dojo is pretty insane right now. they haven't really changed anything about who they take (no height minimum unlike njpw's insane 180 cm rule, no weight, be under thirty) and how tough the training is, but kids aren't dropping out or getting kicked out like they did in toryumon or early dragon gate (practically ddt's roster before dna are toryumon and dragon gate washouts.)

This is who debuted since 1/1/2016, so easy five year delineation:

Ben-K
Shun Skywalker
H*Y*O
Yuki Yoshioka/Dia Inferno
Katsumi Takashima (retired after CIMA punched him in his bad eye in late 2016)
Dragon Dia
Strong Machine J
Kota Minoura
Oji Shiiba (out of dg)
SB KENTo
FJK
HipHop Kikuta
Sora Fujikawa
La Estrella
The up to six kids from class of 2021
at least 12 who are currently in some stage of training but not in exhibitions.

It's insane and the output and quality of these under five years experience wrestlers absolutely trounces everyone else in the world. And that's not including Ishida (class of 2014) who is still only 25, King Shimizu & U-T (Class of 2013) who are 28 and 27, and Eita who doesn't turn 30 until October.

That's a round about way to say that they actually probably need to start phasing out some of the older guys to get these kids ring time. I would love if they made Future its own thing like NEX but I don't think that's a reality right now. Doing a monthly five minute exhibition is not enough imo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I guess the phasing out has already been happening over the last few years to an extent - CIMA, Shingo, and Yoshino are all gone now, I doubt Kondo's wrestling a full schedule, K-ness already doesn't, and Ultimo just sort of wrestles when he wants to now - same with Mochi, Saito, Fujii, and Gamma. Then on the younger side Lindaman, T-Hawk & Yamamura all left with CIMA, and Kotoka's done.

I don't know who's next to move to a veteran schedule, maybe Susumu or Dragon Kid? It seems like Doi, Hulk, YAMATO, and Yoshida probably still have plenty left in the tank, but at the rate they're going it'd be interesting to see them as the few remaining veterans within the next few years.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I think we will see a lot of the older guys pull a Genki and go part time and work affiliated indies like Kyushu Pro that are local to them.

Kondo already has several business (including an amazing looking pork bowl place) so he’s preparing for that as well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/AHROOMEE/status/1424725659784417281

Masquerade playing a lovely game of chess.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I was kinda meh on them at first but Masquerade really grew on me. DG really does units well and their fashion sense is top-notch. Too bad about Shun not being champion anymore as Kota would've been a cool challenger--then again, YAMATO/Kota would be a great match on paper, too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Card for tonight:

Tag Match: Keisuke Okuda & Ben-K vs BxB Hulk & Dia Inferno
6-Man Tag Match: Naruki Doi & Kenichiro Arai & Ryo Saito vs Konomama Ichikawa & Shachihoko Boy & Yosuke♡Santa Maria
6-Man Tag Match: Ultimo Dragon & Masaaki Mochizuki & Problem Dragon vs Yasushi Kanda & Takashi Yoshida & Punch Tominaga
6-Man Tag Strong Machine J Comeback Match: Strong Machines (J/F/G) vs Genki Horiguchi & UT & FUNKY "JACKY" KAMEI
Tag Match: Shun Skywalker & Kota Minoura vs KAI & Diamante
4-Way Trios Match - 4 Unit Exciting Battle: HIGH-END (YAMATO/Dragon Kid/Kagetora) vs NATURAL VIBES (Kzy/Susumu Yokosuka/King Shimizu) vs MASQUERADE (Jason Lee & Dragon Dia & La Estrella) vs RED (Kaito Ishida/SB KENTo/HYO)

The main sounds like a fun clusterfuck, and it's good to see SMJ back. Eita is still out for health precautions. Not sure if I'll be able to see it live, depends on how tired I am later, but since it's a Korakuen show something interesting might happen.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Unfortunately I'm never able to catch these mid week shows live due to work.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Was listening to the Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast earlier and it is incredibly funny to me how much Joe & Rich dislike Natural Vibes, and doubly hate Shimizu for being in it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean they're wrong, but they're entitled to being wrong

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh yes, I'm not mad, genuinely thought it was funny.

Honestly when I got back into DG ai hated the dancing bit and then I noticed Susumu was so unenthusiastic for it and I loved and related to that a lot and slowly I turned around on that and that was helped by the fact the core trio of Horiguchi, Susumu & Kzy all ruled. And now NV are back & there's no deadweight like before, I think everyone in it rules.

Hell, even Susumu seems slightly less reluctant in his dancing these days. Slightly.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
They get so mad when I tell them to fast forward for ninety seconds and get over it lol

And Susumu as a bad dancer has been a bit since do fixer.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Jacky seems the least enthusiastic about the dancing recently, but maybe that's just his resting face.

The auditions for NV2.0 back in January were genuinely funny, between Don Fujii's dancing, and Punchy having to audition - and failing - to rejoin his own unit.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

They get so mad when I tell them to fast forward for ninety seconds and get over it lol

And Susumu as a bad dancer has been a bit since do fixer.

He paid for dancing lessons but only had enough money to learn one dance give him a break!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I unironically love Susumu's bad dancing...

Dumb question, but do all of DG's tag matches run with lucha tag rules, or is it just trios and above?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ha, not a dumb question, it sounds exactly like the kind of weird thing DG would do. :)

You'll typically see actual tags used more often in regular tag matches because the dynamic and pace are different, but they're still under lucha rules.

Actually I don't think I've ever seen a "you can't pin him, he's/you're not the legal man" spot in DG before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Jae's commentary already dunking on WWE not hiring shorter guys. He mentioned that Eita tested negative! :neckbeard:

Iihashi brothers are going to debut at Dangerous Gate. Good for them.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 11, 2021