Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Lily Catts posted:

oh, Night 1 is the Ultimo Dragon anniversary, I see. Will this be the day they finally license Separados? Nah.

Given what he pulled at the reunion, I cannot discount the idea that they told Ultimo that they are licensing it each time and he never checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Between the two, I'd rather they licensed M3K's theme since they're on every show now and Ultimo isn't.

Not a big week this week, but there's a KBS Hall show on the 17th, bookended by two house shows.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It's so funny that Abema/Wrestle Universe did license Separados when Ultimo appeared in NOAH for a few shows

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
:siren: All of Kobe World 2021 w/English commentary is free for non-subscribers on DGN until July 29th :siren:
Night 1 / Night 2: Speed Star Final

Japanese commentary: Night 1 / Night 2

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 15, 2022

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
July 16 @ Ishikawa (house show):
① Tag: U-T & Jason Lee vs Diamante & Shun Skywalker
② 8 Man: Kikuta/Yoshida/D'courage vs KAI/BxB/HYO/SBK

July 17 @ KBS Hall, Kyoto (on DGN):
① 6 Man: Jason/SMJ/JFK vs BxB/Shun/Diamante (free)
② Singles: Ben-K vs Minorita
③ 6 Man: Kzy/U-T/Punch vs Horiguchi/Kikuta/Ho Ho Lun
④ Eita vs Big Boss Shimizu
⑤ 6 Man: YAMATO/DKid/Kagetora vs Susumu/Kanda/Junior
⑥ 3 Way Tag: D'courage vs Minoura/Doi vs KAI/SBK

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Good to finally see Vibes back as a 6-piece. I guess SMJ's shoulder wasn't serious. The opening segment with the group all making each other corpse was adorable.

Future match opener was Kato vs Nagano. I quite like both so far, this year's class is very solid. I know I heard something about 1-2 more dojo guys set to debut later in the year, but I can't find any info about them. They did the same with the Minoura/Dia and the SMJ/Kento/Jacky classes.

(edit) MR. DANGER ZONE Okuda is going to be appearing in DDT on August 20th.

August 14th is also the Gamma retirement show, so I wonder if we'll see any DG cameos.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 18, 2022

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I couldn't quite tell because Jae hasn't been translating much from shows this month, but it seemed like Yoshida was angling for a tag team run with Kikuta, which could be pretty fun if they go for it. Both could use something to do.

I've been trying to keep track of Fujiwara & Estrella in Mexico, but some of the shows they've been getting are so bad. They're both doing fine as far as wrestling quality when they're given the chance to shine, but there are some absolute trash indies that are only like half a step up from a backyard fed. They're really paying their dues out there.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

I couldn't quite tell because Jae hasn't been translating much from shows this month, but it seemed like Yoshida was angling for a tag team run with Kikuta, which could be pretty fun if they go for it. Both could use something to do.

I've been trying to keep track of Fujiwara & Estrella in Mexico, but some of the shows they've been getting are so bad. They're both doing fine as far as wrestling quality when they're given the chance to shine, but there are some absolute trash indies that are only like half a step up from a backyard fed. They're really paying their dues out there.

I keep seeing the posters for their shows on random instagram posts and they look like some truly rough stuff.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, the stuff in Bandido's promotion has been pretty good so far, but beyond that it's been weird.

7/18 @ Yamaguchi (house show):
① Tag: YAMATO/Ben-K vs NOSAWA/Eita
② 6-Man: D'courage & Kikuta vs Minoura/Doi/Minorita

Huh. NOSAWA actually did a house show.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
It’s just the realities of lucha outside of aaa and cmll that it always is so rough. It felt even more dire with Shun and Yuki because they were stuck there and couldn’t work the states even with visas. Even back in the Toryumon days if you’ve seen handheld there’s a clear “these guys are soooo much better than who they are facing.”

Won’t be an issue soon. I don’t think we are about to see the second coming of 3/31/06 and the dragon gate six man, but there are some people coming over that haven’t been announced yet that will be very very exciting this fall.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Won’t be an issue soon. I don’t think we are about to see the second coming of 3/31/06 and the dragon gate six man, but there are some people coming over that haven’t been announced yet that will be very very exciting this fall.
Just listened to your episode. SB KENTo excursion seemed likely already, but Shun Skywalker on a 2nd excursion will be amazing if he gets anywhere near the kind of attention he should.

At his level I'm hoping it's going to be more like Takeshita from DDT rather than slumming it out in Mexican indies.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Shun going on an American excursion and AEW not leaping at the chance to book him like they do Takeshita would be a gross abdication of Tony's wrestling nerdom.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Heel Shun in America would be very weird, hmm

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's a bit of an odd dynamic because he's the tallest guy on the roster, but he wouldn't be anywhere else. So much of his heel character relies on towering over people and physically dominating them that I think he'd have to switch it up a bit. Or just go light on character and have him put on amazing matches, which is probably more likely in the US. Though he'll be living in Mexico at the time, so it's going to depend entirely on who books him.

edit: HIGH-END lost their Triangle Gate shot in NOAH last night :lmao:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 22, 2022

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

sticklefifer posted:

edit: HIGH-END lost their Triangle Gate shot in NOAH last night :lmao:

M3K came out to challenge, so unless they're really high on Mocchy's son I guess PdMdJ are winning the next defence as well

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If it's the M2K lineup wrestling then I'd think they're a lock. But given that they just put the belts on two teams outside the company, I think all bets are off on who could hold them at this point. Overbearing Sports Dad winning his son a belt in his rookie year would be very on-brand.

God, the cheating shenanigans in that match are going to be glorious. :allears:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

sticklefifer posted:

If it's the M2K lineup wrestling then I'd think they're a lock.

It was Mocchy, Jr, and Susumu making the challenge in NOAH, no sign of Kanda who was last seen teaming with Pheromones in DDT so he's dead to me. Although I assumed HIGH-END were winning last night so prepared to be surprised again at the next defence

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How many DG units have never won the Triangle Gate belts during their existence?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Depends, if you don't include temporary & gimmick units like Florida Brothers/SUM0Z/Team Boku, who were never really meant to be Triangle Gate contenders. I'd also exclude Crazy MAX and Aagan Iisou - they were holdovers from Toryumon which had the UWA Trios belts, both units were UWA champions, and both dissolved only a few weeks after the Triangle Gate was introduced.

Otherwise, not many!
Renaissance
-akatsuki-
Over Generation
ANTIAS
Mochizuki Dojo

Current:
Z-Brats
HIGH-END
M3K (though M2K has held them)
Kung Fu Masters

I *think* that's it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Bonk posted:

Depends, if you don't include temporary & gimmick units like Florida Brothers/SUM0Z/Team Boku, who were never really meant to be Triangle Gate contenders. I'd also exclude Crazy MAX and Aagan Iisou - they were holdovers from Toryumon which had the UWA Trios belts, both units were UWA champions, and both dissolved only a few weeks after the Triangle Gate was introduced.

Otherwise, not many!
Renaissance
-akatsuki-
Over Generation
ANTIAS
Mochizuki Dojo

Current:
Z-Brats
HIGH-END
M3K (though M2K has held them)
Kung Fu Masters

I *think* that's it.

That's a surprising list, I'm sure Z-Brats is winning it someday, but HIGH-END being around for a year and having never won it feels very wrong (but funny) to me. I'd say they should just disband at this point but where do they all go to though

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Weirdly, HIGH-END have only ever had singles belts. YAMATO had Dream and Okuda & Kagetora each had Brave. Which is kind of appropriate since I like everyone individually but not as a unit.

Okuda to Z-Brats seems likely. Dragon Kid would probably do a veteran singles run. Kagetora, I dunno, maybe join Eita once Perros are done in DG? I selfishly want YAMATO to join Gold Class so he and Doi can reform my favorite DG tag team that isn't Speed Muscle. As for Ben-K, they're doing something with him lately where he's been demanding that the group put him in higher-tier matches, but I don't know where they're going with that so maybe he'd lead his own new unit.

Also, it makes sense why the past units never won Triangle: Renaissance was trying to prove the older guys could still go, OG & Mochi Dojo were both veterans training rookies, akatsuki was mostly about the Shingo/YAMATO tag team, and ANTIAS had lineup issues because they formed shortly before the company shakeup, so they quickly lost T-Hawk & Lindaman, then Shingo.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 22, 2022

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
7/23 @ Okayama (house show):
Tag: Shimizu & Punch Tominaga vs Kikuta & Iihashi
Single: Eita vs Mochizuki Junior
6-Man: D'courage & Shachihoko BOY vs Minoura/Doi/Minorita

7/24 @ Kobe Sambo Hall (DGN):
① 6-Man: Jason Lee/Ho Ho Lun/Shenlong III vs KAI/BxB/Diamante (free)
② Royal Sambo Battle Royal : Doi, Minorita, Susumu, Mocchy, Kanda, Fujii, Genki, Ichikawa, Shachi, Yoshida, Punch, Iihashi
③ Tag: Dia/Kikuta vs HYO/SBK
④ Tag: Mochi/Junior vs Eita/NOSAWA
⑤ Singles: Jacky “Funky” Kamei vs Shun Skywalker
⑥ 8-Man: YAMATO/DKid/Ben-K/Kagetora vs Kzy/Shimizu/U-T/SMJ
⑦ Open the Dream Gate Next Challengers 3-Way Match: Shuji vs Kondo vs Minoura

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Mostly setup for Kobe World on the Sambo Hall show, but fun matches.

Cards announced for next weekend:

Night 1 - July 30th: Ultimo Dragon 35th Anniversary Celebration

⓪ Open the Brave Gate #1 Contender Battle Royal
Genki Horiguchi / Shachihoko BOY / Mondai Ryu / Punch Tominaga / U-T / Super Shenlong III / Ishin Iihashi / SB KENTo / Ho Ho Lun / Ryu Fuda (he's back!)

① 6-Man: [Natural Vibes] Kzy / BIG BOSS Shimizu / Strong Machine J vs. [Gold Class] Kota Minoura / Naruki Doi / Minorita

② 6-Man: Kenichiro Arai / Gurukun Mask / Bodyguard vs. Takashi Yoshida / Ben-K / Madoka Kikuta

③ Open the Brave Gate Championship: Dragon Dia© vs. HYO

④ Kagetora 20th Anniversary: Kagetora / Taro Nohashi / Jinsei Shinzaki vs. Don Fujii / Shuji Kondo / Toru Owashi

⑤ Dragon Kid 25th Anniversary: Dragon Kid / Masato Tanaka vs YAMATO / BxB Hulk

⑥ Bosou 10 Match Series: Konomama Ichikawa vs. X

⑦ Open the Triangle Gate Championship: [Perros del Mal] Eita / NOSAWA Rongai / Kotaro Suzuki© vs. [M3K] Masaaki Mochizuki / Susumu Mochizuki / Mochizuki Junior
⭐︎Special guest referee: Yasushi Kanda

⑧ Ultimo Dragon 35th Anniversary: Ultimo Dragon vs. El Hijo del Santo

⑨ Open the Twin Gate Championship: [Z-Brats] Shun Skywalker & Diamante© vs. [Natural Vibes] Jacky 'Funky' Kamei & Jason Lee

⑩ Open the Dream Gate Championship: KAI© vs. Yuki Yoshioka

Night 2 - July 31st: Kobe Pro-Wrestling Festival 2022

Open the Brave Gate Championship: Winner of Dia/HYO vs. Battle Royal winner

Open the Triangle Gate 3-Way Championship: Winners of Perros/M3K vs. YAMATO/DKid/Ben-K vs. Kzy/Shimizu/SMJ

Open the Dream Gate Championship: Winner of KAI/Yoshioka vs. Kota Minoura

More will probably be announced during the week for Night 2, but it seems like the focus is mostly on Night 1. The build has been a little weird this year.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 30, 2022

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Kobe main event was fun. Don't think KAI walks out of World as Dream Gate champ but whether it's Yuki or Kota I have no clue. Rest of the card looks weird as hell but also enough meat on it for some real good matches.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I would say Minoura but Yoshioka has had a great year so far...

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Yoshioka running the gauntlet beating both the hated heel and a bratty upstart trying to steal his moment would be a good direction if they're really dedicated to pushing him as an ultra babyface, and he's definitely put in the work to justify that push, imo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, that's the right call for a new babyface champion. What's weird is that I don't know why Yoshioka/Minoura is their biggest main event of the year. Yoshioka/KAI feels much bigger. Minoura's not quite there yet, especially since Gold Class is still figuring out what they even are.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

https://twitter.com/openvoicegate/status/1551605572444774400

NOSAWA claims another victim!

No reason given so no idea if my joke is real or if it's injury or what. Really sucks, his absence has been pretty notable.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dude what the gently caress.

Needless to say this is shocking. Even if he was downcycled at the moment as "the other guy" in Gold Class, Dragongate was probably the company that has the most room for growth for a guy like Ishida.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:negative:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

https://twitter.com/openvoicegate/status/1551605572444774400

NOSAWA claims another victim!

No reason given so no idea if my joke is real or if it's injury or what. Really sucks, his absence has been pretty notable.

maybe he just really didn't want to leave Okinawa once he got there

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm both surprised and not surprised. It seemed like they had no idea what to do with him since the R.E.D breakup, but I figured with his "Gold Class is going to change" promo before he got hurt, they had some kind of plan. It sucks to lose him, but it kind of feels similar to Naoki Tanizaki where he realized he'd hit his ceiling in the company and could probably be on top elsewhere. He'd be a huge get for GLEAT, or as a Junior in NJPW.

edit: Jae's saying the Twin Gate match at Kobe World will be Jacky & Jason as KFM, not Natural Vibes, which is interesting. If they win, do they appear on other shows with Vibes as champions? Or do they only appear in Kobe with the belts?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 25, 2022

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Shun/Ishida last year was what got me into DG mmm, sad

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragongate 2022: Mostly fast flippy hunky bois - Now with Less Kickboi action.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I hope Ishida finds his niche. GLEAT seems most likely since CIMA's always been high on him and Yamamura's his bro.

As talented as Ishida is, there seems to be this growing gap between veterans and young guys in Dragongate. A lot of the middle generation between 2010-2015 have either left, or settled into roles where they can be Twin/Triangle champions, but are rarely at Dream Gate level, so I wonder if they just don't take them as seriously.

2010: T-Hawk seemed like a lock for a future run, but never got there, then left.
2011: Yosuke & Punch were never going to be Dream level. Eita is THE exception.
2012: Sho Kaga never even debuted.
2013: U-T's ceiling is probably Brave. Shimizu would be nice, but likely not soon.
2014: El Lindaman probably wasn't getting there in DG, and only reinvented himself after he left.
2015: Yamamura maybe would've eventually, but he left too. Ishida debuted with him.

Then 2016 had Ben-K & Shun who have both had big Dream Gate runs, and Yoshioka who is likely getting one. I can see Ishida maybe feeling passed over considering several people who came after him have now had Kobe World main events (including Minoura as a 2018 debut), and he's mainly been a sidekick character to the ones who are showcased.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That's a big blow for Okuda too, because Ishida was his best opponent by some distance.

Certain hope Kaito ends up somewhere else.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Very good Open the Voice Gate this week (recorded pre-Ishida departure). They talk to Jae again and he addresses some of the frustrations with the build to Kobe World.

It sounds like Gold Class has just not gotten over at all (except Minorita). Which is crazy because 6 months ago Kota Minoura was red hot coming out of the Masquerade split and the Shun feud, and now his build to a title shot is tepid at best. I can't imagine that's the only reason Ishida wanted out, but I'm sure it didn't help.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/WrestlePrestige/status/1552398465862291456

I might have to make the trip for that. Barring an actual Japan trip I don't know when I'd ever see him wrestle. I hope Shun gets some PNW dates too.

(edit) SBK on the east coast too: https://www.pwponderings.com/2022/07/28/dragongate-rising-stars-headed-to-etu-wrestling/

Bonk fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 29, 2022

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Wrestling Observer posted:

Kaito Ishida announced he was leaving Dragon Gate. He was frustrated with the change in
booking from Masato Yoshino, K-Ness, Gamma and Super Shisa. The claim is that a lot of recent
departures have taken place due to the booking change and Nosawa Rongai in particular
changing the plans. Ishida, Kota Minoura and Naruki Doi were told they were going to hav a
long run as trios champions but Nosawa got booking power and booked himself & Eita &
KotaroSuzuki as champions so he could have the belts in angles in both NOAH and Dragon
Gate. Ishida was also scheduled to go to the Xnals in the King of Gate tournament but instead he
lost to Shuji Kondo, who Nosawa wanted to push in both promotions. Ishida was also replaced
by Kondo in the Dream Gate build plans for Kobe

Ishida gave his notice to Genki Horiguchi and told him that he would be willing to return if
Nogawa was removed from having booking power because he believes Nosawa hates him and
will never push him. He’s contacted Cima about going to GLEAT and Shingo Takagi about New
Japan, or he may leave wrestling and become a trainer in a kickboxing gym. It was said he may
not be the only one to leave and others have talked of leaving when their contracts are ove
I firmly believe Meltzer's "source" is literal fanfiction from someone with a grudge. OTVG and even Jae have called for the dispelling of the NOSAWA rumors, being a lot closer to the promotion. Unfortunately WON has far reach so this is going to be taken as gospel truth from someone who barely even reviews it. Also, my god Dave, get a proofreader.

To be clear, I'm sure NOSAWA's had at least partial influence over Triangle Gate booking since it's gone to NOAH, but to say he's got the kind of booking power Meltzer is implying is frankly laughable. Gold Class was already not getting over, there was nothing to indicate Ishida would've been in the KoG finals, and there's no reason to believe NOSAWA would have the power to make massive changes to the #1 contender tournament leading into their biggest show of the year. That's not just booking with Genki, that would be having sway over corporate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Meltzer is unbelievably bad at covering anything but the United States and anyone with a clue has known for a while. It is what it is, sucks that anyone at all buys into it though and he really shouldn't even pretend he's doing his job wrt Japan coverage.