Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tonfa posted:

Meltzer is unbelievably bad at covering anything but the United States and anyone with a clue has known for a while. It is what it is, sucks that anyone at all buys into it though and he really shouldn't even pretend he's doing his job wrt Japan coverage.
Yeah, it's an entirely unrealistic story if you follow DG at all, and it's bad journalism to not try to vet it through other sources. The really telling part is that DG keeps things like this close to their chest, so Ishida would be burning a lot of bridges if he actually blew the lid off of something like this. Unless Meltzer is saying that Ishida is his actual source, who on the inside could possibly know all that information?

In debut news for the 2022 Dragongate FUTURE class:
-Takuma Nishikawa will be going to Toryumon Casa without a DG debut
-Kaito Nagano will debut at the Fukuoka show on August 21st
-No word on Yoshiki Kato yet

Interesting for Nishikawa. An excursion before debuting hasn't been done since U-T. They must really see potential in him. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Ryu Fuda too now that he's back. He didn't really get a chance to shine much before, but now that most of the 2021 class is gone (or already positioned in Minorita's case), he and Ishin Iihashi are going to be carrying the torch for that class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Here's the opener link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Xyypb8qC8

Jason Lee on English commentary to start. They're doing a Kobe-style rumble, 2 entries at once.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 30, 2022

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
First night of the Kobe World weekend is behind us and while the Ultimo show wasn't the greatest show of the year, it was still really solid... most of the time.

The Twin Gate match is THE MOTYC from Dragongate this year, just incredible stuff all around. Everyone knows that Skywalker is a beast, that Jason Lee rules and Diamante has improved leaps and bounds but this was Kamei's match. The guy should be a made man after this. Dream Gate had no chance upping this and while the main event wasn't bad, it never hit the heights of KAI's (one) good defense against Susumu or Yoshioka's best stuff from this year. Hopefully tomorrow's main event manages to deliver.

Nothing came close to this, but Brave Gate, opening Vibes/GC and the Dragon Kid Anniversary matches were the highlights of the undercard. Stalker match was Muto's best match in years and Ultimo/EHDS was what it was.

edit: also, tomorrow's card... doesn't really feel like a Kobe World show:

https://twitter.com/DragonGateEN/status/1553400049320984579?s=20&t=7ouJjP5l4t14Nc_ay-KK8A

BTF fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 30, 2022

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That Twin Gate match was really something else. Nothing else quite measured up to that, but I didn't really expect it to.

I'll update the OP in a bit, things have been crazy hectic lately.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Echoing that the KFM/ShunMante match was incredible. That's a match you show to people who don't watch DG so they can see what they're missing.

Rest of the card was OK to great. I didn't mind the overlong Ultimo segment because it's his night and the promotion wouldn't be here without him, and Sasuke was a really fun surprise. The Dream title match started a bit slow and Yuki looked kind of terrified to be in such a big spot at first, but he settled into it and ramped up by the end.

Grain of salt until they announce anything officially, but speculation is that Okuda is also on his way out. He isn't part of the new round of HxE merchandise, and Jae noticeably didn't mention him on commentary when talking about the unit during their matches. Though that could just mean an impending heel turn or a Dr. Muscle appearance or something, so nobody really knows yet.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Didn't Okuda want to work in other promotions, like DDT?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
He's already secured a few outside dates, but that's not an indication of leaving these days. He also had a match in Rizin within the past year, but his MMA record isn't great. I think his only wins are all ring-outs.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Night 2 free stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuu8SEOxJ-I

edit: CYBER KONGMENTARY

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 31, 2022

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Finally sitting down to watch these shows. Dia gave HYO a lot in that Brave Gate match, letting him kick out of his big moves and losing to pin.

Shaking my head, bringing Mutoh in to go over your homegrown talent, NOSAWA really does have the book!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
If there was any doubt that Yuki Yoshioka and Kota Minoura are bonafide main eventers, it's gone now.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Some absolutely ludicrous moves in this Twin Gate match holy poo poo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lily Catts posted:

If there was any doubt that Yuki Yoshioka and Kota Minoura are bonafide main eventers, it's gone now.

Absolutely. Night 2 was a weaker but breezier card overall, but the main solidified two new stars. That match whipped.

Triangle Gate 3-way was really fun too! I wonder what they're doing with Ben-K now.

edit: Also this is a thing...

https://twitter.com/dg_jae/status/1553760319713210371

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 1, 2022

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

This triangle three way is the exact nonsense I want from this belt. Thank you nepotism for bringing these belts home!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Holy poo poo, Yoshioka/Minoura was amazing. I think that was my favorite Dragongate match since Shun/YAMATO at last years Kobe World.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Twin Gate is still my favorite, but I was surprised at how quickly I went from "ehh I dunno about this Dream Gate build" to "goddamn this weekend made everyone look like a genuine star". Yoshioka looked nervous as hell going into match 1, but had absolute champion swagger going into match 2. Minoura could very believably win it by this time next year.

My only issue is that both cards felt padded. If they're going to fill up a two-night show with nostalgia tags, put those on the Anniversary night and put all the young stars and big belt defenses on the actual Kobe World night.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Bonk posted:

Twin Gate is still my favorite, but I was surprised at how quickly I went from "ehh I dunno about this Dream Gate build" to "goddamn this weekend made everyone look like a genuine star". Yoshioka looked nervous as hell going into match 1, but had absolute champion swagger going into match 2. Minoura could very believably win it by this time next year.

My only issue is that both cards felt padded. If they're going to fill up a two-night show with nostalgia tags, put those on the Anniversary night and put all the young stars and big belt defenses on the actual Kobe World night.

I was actually surprised that Yoshioka won, but it was the result my heart wanted--I don't want 1-day Dream Gate reigns, that's just too sad. Very bullish about the Dream Gate scene going forward. I hope they continue the trend of having the younger guys main event. KAI's reign felt like forever and while I was pleasantly surprised he took the belt off YAMATO, I wasn't very impressed with his defenses except against Susumu, which was elevated by the stip.

My one complaint about Kobe World was there were a whole lot of muted entrance themes... Come on, GAORA...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hey, I am watching the first night now (Vibes vs Gold Class) but this confirms things with SBK

https://twitter.com/DragonGateEN/status/1554051097115136001?t=rqIMs6jFZN3WBZTXGAR4hg&s=19

Everyone in the US indies should book him

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

I was actually surprised that Yoshioka won, but it was the result my heart wanted--I don't want 1-day Dream Gate reigns, that's just too sad. Very bullish about the Dream Gate scene going forward. I hope they continue the trend of having the younger guys main event. KAI's reign felt like forever and while I was pleasantly surprised he took the belt off YAMATO, I wasn't very impressed with his defenses except against Susumu, which was elevated by the stip.

My one complaint about Kobe World was there were a whole lot of muted entrance themes... Come on, GAORA...

I've kind of loved KAI's reign. The big boy matches have felt like they'd fit in modern All Japan, it's really to my taste, which is why the screwy finish of the Kondo defence bummed me out

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Somehow 2022 became the year where I've been consistently entertained by Takashi Yoshida, and I kind of hope his Kikuta tag team pans out. One of the most underrated aspects of all of Kobe World was how hilarious he was on commentary for those first two matches, and I need more of him.

:haw: "Hello! I am Muscle Beast! Shut up!"
:haw: "See you later! Shut up!"

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Fujiwara looks like he's enjoying Mexico:
https://twitter.com/cappybeef/status/1554275728576942080

Anyways still thinking about Kobe World, and I don't know if it was intentional, but the transition over the two nights for Yoshioka, from how nervous he looked going into the match with KAI, to how confident he looked pinning Minoura, was excellent storytelling. A real bit of "a champion being forged in fire" detail.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZpA0CoZSVc

Jae being slightly terrified by the chaotic energy of Kung Fu Masters on this month's "What's on the Dragongate Network" video is very good & I'm glad they do these with the English commentary team.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Shun's coming to GCW in the fall

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1554946662883368960?s=20&t=e5u7JTgQZSxfVFclakvPag

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Gate of Adventure dates leading up to the Dangerous Gate PPV:

August (DGNetwork shows in bold):
8/6 - Hiroshima, Fukuyama Big Rose
8/7 - Aichi, Nagoya Congress Center
8/10 - Tokyo, Korakuen Hall
8/11 - Aichi, Okazaki Tatsumigaoka Hall
8/12 - Hyogo, Acrea Himeji
8/14 - Osaka, Edion Arena Osaka #2
8/20 - Kagoshima, Orocity Hall
8/21 - Fukuoka, Acros Fukuoka (day)
8/21 - Fukuoka, Acros Fukuoka (evening)

8/22 - Fukuoka, Kokurakita Gym
8/27 - Hyogo, Kobe Sambo Hall
8/28 - Nara, Nara Centennial Hall - Naruki Doi Homecoming

September (unconfirmed which are DGN, but I assume Edion & Korakuen at least):
9/3 - Tottori, Tottori Sangyo Gym
9/3 - Osaka, Edion Arena Osaka #2
9/8 - Tokyo, Korakuen Hall
9/9 - Kanagawa, Mercure Hotel Yokosuka
9/11 - Fukui, Tsuruga Kirameki Minatokan
9/17 - Saitama, Espoir Isanuma
9/18 - Saitama, Espoir Isanuma
9/19 - Tokyo, Ota City General Gymnasium - Dangerous Gate

Cards are still announced at belltime, unfortunately, until further notice.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Shun's coming to GCW in the fall
:siren: OH poo poo IT'S HAPPENINNNNNNNNG :siren:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Hopefully AEW's talent scout Joey Janela sees him and gets him booked for a Dynamite match.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Dave gave the Kobe World Twin Gate match ****3/4, but specified "this was going in without the knowledge of the storylines. To Dragon Gate fans, they were almost universal that this was one of the best matches in years and to non-fans who have seen it have also universally praised it."

I guess that's fair for someone who doesn't follow DG, but if something is that hyped and he's a journalist reporting on it, it wouldn't kill him to research the build a little.

Notably he had nothing further to say about NOSAWA's booking rumor mill, other than the generally agreed-upon sentiment that people are hoping this is the last of Perros in DG now that the Triangle Gate belts are back.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dave actually watch a Japanese promotion that isn't New Japan challenge.

Edion might be getting a little... adventurous, this summer.
https://twitter.com/DragonGateEN/status/1555537752833531905

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There's been some talk that Dave didn't actually watch it and based the rating on a review someone submitted to him. It wouldn't surprise me if he was just mailing it in for stuff he doesn't care about at this point.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Edion might be getting a little... adventurous, this summer.
I saw that and my immediate thought was also Tag League, though a one-day event obviously wouldn't be a block tournament like usual.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Honestly not even New Japan is immune from complete poo poo tier English coverage. I don't know of a single outlet that bothers to do something as basic as watch the backstage promos to get context on how the wrestlers are approaching each other, and this includes New Japan's own English commentary and website. It's real frustrating.

At least with Dragongate we get Jae doing god's work and OTVG is generally on the ball

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
TBH all anyone would need to do is translate Gaora's digest episodes on Youtube, because they're really comprehensive and they even have transcripts.

https://youtu.be/dqno3O6KQtw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Oh is that all

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Keep your reductive edgelord bullshit to the AEW threads, Alaois. Nobody here's going to take your dogpile bait. I know it's your super cool gimmick, but gently caress off already.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm sorry for implying that translating youtube videos from Japanese to English might be a slightly bigger undertaking than you seem to be saying it is, Bonk

Frankly, i think you're overestimating how much Dave or Bryan or anyone else who reviews and recaps wrestling matches even pay attention to American wrestling storylines

Alaois fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 6, 2022

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
You don't even contribute to this thread, you just dipped in to shitpost. Nobody cares about your bit, and nobody owes you an argument.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
lol I put them on ignore a while ago. It's way more chill without the trolls inventing strawman personality traits to dunk on.

For the GAORA Youtube stuff, it really only takes one person who cares. Jae ran his website for years and it led to them hiring him.

In actual DG news:
Keisuke Okuda's officially off the GAORA roster page, no official announcement or anything. Weird, but not unexpected. HxE in the mud again.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Blowing up High End and Gold Class while leaving the beautiful boys in Natural Vibes alone seems like it should be a goal over the course of August and September.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

Blowing up High End and Gold Class while leaving the beautiful boys in Natural Vibes alone seems like it should be a goal over the course of August and September.

OTVG proposed the idea this week of booting out KAI & BxB and making Z-Brats a lineup of HYO, Shun, Diamante, Minoura, Minorita, and Ben-K, and I'm digging that idea. The veterans will always land somewhere else or go solo.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The only thing that gives me pause about that is I'm not so sure about putting Shun and Minoura in the same unit together so soon after their feud blew up Masquerade.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, that's fair, though I saw someone else bring up the idea that Shun turned out to be right that Minoura's entitled and expects everything to be handed to him.

It'd be hilarious if Shun finally got that apology he wanted. :v:

[edit]
8/6 house show @ Hiroshima:
① Tag: U-T/JFK vs Shun/HYO
②6-Man: D'courage & Shachihoko vs KAI/BxB/Diamante

Doi will be off the tour for a few dates due to neck pain, but not injured. Gold Class just can't catch a break.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 7, 2022

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
https://twitter.com/dg_jae/status/1556211338103652354

Interesting field for contenders there. Either one would be a strong 2nd defense for Yoshioka.

I guess the Nagoya house show last night had a KAI/Eita main event too, which I assume will be on Youtube, so it'll be interesting to see if they're trying to rehab Eita a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Kzy vs. Eita at Korakuen should loving rule as long as there's no shenanigans.