Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I completely forgot there was English commentary today, I should go change feed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dia Inferno's character work and mannerisms are really good. He acts sort of confused when he's not fighting Dragon Dia, like he doesn't understand why any of this is happening but he's doing it because his friends told him to.

Actual Dragon Man Inferno

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
ahahaha this segment rules

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

***** Ichikawa

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Mondai Ryu

MONDAI RYUUUU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Taking bets on which of Natural Vibes SMF tries to throw over a balcony

edit: trick question. none!

SMJ hinted at a new machine debuting. I wonder if it's a new guy or someone who's already around.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 11, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Strong Machine E after Eita vanishes following his COVID break

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
DK and DD together makes me want to see a mentor/student match with Ultimo, Kid, and Dia.

I'm going to need a gif of Susumu being forced to dance :lmao:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 11, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

:allears:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

This main event has been pretty great even as this has been a bit disappointing for a DG Korakuen show

As I say that, Susumu just palm struck Kid onto the top turnbuckle :allears:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, other than J's return it's pretty much a one match card, but that one match was fun as hell.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Can't believe KAI & YAMATO haven't resolved their differences after all!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, other than J's return it's pretty much a one match card, but that one match was fun as hell.

Unironically my 2nd fave Match of the show was the dumb comedy 6 man with Ichikawa. Ruled.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hell, same. More for the entertainment segment aspect of it, but it was funny as hell.

ohhhhh poo poo it's mocchy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hell yes give me Mochizuki YAMATO.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

My big secret is I almost always skip the Fukuoka double headers.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Mochizuki, Ben, KAI, in order of preference.

Edit: this is also my marry/gently caress/kill.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 11, 2021

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

forkboy84 posted:

My big secret is I almost always skip the Fukuoka double headers.

Sincerely my least favorite shows in wrestling are how boring and lifeless the Acros shows are. It’s such a disappointment to go from Star Lanes to that mediocre hall.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Sincerely my least favorite shows in wrestling are how boring and lifeless the Acros shows are. It’s such a disappointment to go from Star Lanes to that mediocre hall.

Fortunately the next show after that is a KBS Hall show. :allears:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Where is Minoura in all this Dream Gate kerfuffle.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

sticklefifer posted:

Ha, not a dumb question, it sounds exactly like the kind of weird thing DG would do. :)

You'll typically see actual tags used more often in regular tag matches because the dynamic and pace are different, but they're still under lucha rules.

Actually I don't think I've ever seen a "you can't pin him, he's/you're not the legal man" spot in DG before.

Thanks for clarifying! I'm still getting into them but I think it's a welcome departure from the Southern-style tag formula.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh wow, Kazma Sakamoto just showed up in GLEAT. No idea how long he's staying or if he's just doing a few dates, but it's probably a good thing since RED's gotten so big.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Cards for the double-header. Eita returns! :neckbeard:

ACROS Fukuoka (Daytime Show @ 3:45pm GMT/11:45pm EST/8:45pm PST)
•Tag Match: Shun Skywalker & Kota Minoura vs KING Shimizu & U-T
•Tag Match: Jason Lee & Dragon Dia vs Ryo Saito & Mondai Ryu
•10 Man Tag Match: Ultimo Dragon & Naruki Doi & Masaaki Mochizuki & Don Fujii & Shachihoko BOY vs BxB Hulk & Kaito Ishida & KAI & Diamante & HYO
•Tag Match: Keisuke Okuda & Ben-K vs Eita & SB KENTo
•6 Man Tag Match - 4 Units EXCITING BATTLE: "HIGH-END vs NATURAL VIBES" YAMATO & Dragon Kid & Kagetora vs Kzy & Susumu Yokosuka & Genki Horiguchi

2021.8.15 ACROS Fukuoka (Night Show @ 7:45pm GMT/3:45am EST/12:45am PST)
•6 Man Tag Match: Kzy & Yokosuka Susumu & U-T vs Dragon Kid & Kagetora & Keisuke Okuda
•Tag Match: Ultimo Dragon & Shachihoko BOY vs Don Fujii & Mondai Ryu
•Tag Match: Naruki Doi & Ryo Saito vs Genki Horiguchi & KING Shimizu
•6 Man Tag Match: YAMATO & Ben-K & Masaaki Mochizuki vs B × B Hulk & KAI & SB KENTo
•8 Man Tag Match - 4 Units EXCITING BATTLE: "MASQUERADE vs RED" Shun Skywalker & Kota Minoura & Jason Lee & Dragon Dia vs Eita & Kaito Ishida & Diamante & HYO

Not sure how much I'm catching live because there's SO MUCH WRESTLING on tonight, but I might put off Resurgence until tomorrow.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Doi's really been taking up the Speed Star mantle since Yoshino's retirement with all the fast as hell rope running. Can't wait to see what kind of unit he forms.

The 10-man was pretty fun, RED pretty much just murdered poor Shachi.

Worth watching the Eita/SBK vs Okuda/Ben-K match too. RED just destroys Okuda's knee and he sells like crazy for it, and the aftermath is some dastardly heel work. SBK/Okuda for the Brave Gate is going to be so good after all this build.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 15, 2021

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
so there’s usually not a lot to talk about with these acros fukuoka doubleheaders so we are doing a mailbag as well tomorrow on otvg. feel free to ask away!

https://twitter.com/openvoicegate/status/1427441101166755840?s=21

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

so there’s usually not a lot to talk about with these acros fukuoka doubleheaders so we are doing a mailbag as well tomorrow on otvg. feel free to ask away!

https://twitter.com/openvoicegate/status/1427441101166755840?s=21

This is one that's been bugging me, but they've got most of the last decade of all the major shows up on the Network, but are missing all the Final Gates. Why is that? I wanna watch that banger Hulk/Shingo match from 2014 again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Forgot to mention the other night from the ACROS show: Sora Fujikawa is back. He wrestled in the 5:00 pre-show exhibition match against Takuma Fujiwara. Looks like he's still at young boy status.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

They uploaded the 8/8 Brave Gate match where SB Kento beat Kagetora to the network. It's probably Kento's best singles match in his admittedly very short career, so I recommend checking it out. A quick 15ish minute match.

https://dragongate.live/title/?program=match_DirectorsCut2021&episode=43

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The latest card live on the Network, this Saturday

21/8/2021, Saturday

6pm JST/8pm AEDT/10am BST/5am EST/2am PST

Dragon Gate The Gate of Adventure Night 7
KBS Hall, Kobe
HIGH-END (Dragon Kid, Kagetora & YAMATO) vs Masquerade (Dragon Dia, Kota Minoura & Shun Skywalker)
Jason Lee & Naruki Doi vs RED (BxB Hulk & SB KENTo)
Ryo Saito, Strong Machine J & Yosuke Santa Maria vs Susumu Yokosuka, Ultimo Dragon & Yasushi Kanda
Keisuke Okuda vs U-T
Ben-K & Masaaki Mochizuki vs RED (KAI & Kaito Ishida)
Natural Vibes (Genki Horiguchi, KING Shimizu & Kzy) vs RED (Diamante, Eita & HYO)
Live on DG Network

Some fun stuff there, Okuda U-T, the 2 tag matches, the opener.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

They uploaded the 8/8 Brave Gate match where SB Kento beat Kagetora to the network. It's probably Kento's best singles match in his admittedly very short career, so I recommend checking it out. A quick 15ish minute match.

https://dragongate.live/title/?program=match_DirectorsCut2021&episode=43

SBK's Road-Warrior-meets-Dr.-Muscle entrance gear though :pwn:

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

It rules like metal album art, just "give me a bit of everything that's cool". He's going to win the Dream Gate by shooting Yamato with the shotgun.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Head to head with DDT Peter Pan's second hour tonight, so I'm not sure how many people are going to check this out live. I might skip the live stream for both anyway, my schedule's all fucky lately.

Dimebags Brain posted:

It rules like metal album art, just "give me a bit of everything that's cool". He's going to win the Dream Gate by shooting Yamato with the shotgun.
I hope it's one of those confetti bazookas they always pull out in Dead or Alive matches.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I know I mentioned this on the show, but I think he’s much more close to being the guy than I thought before. He’s probably not beating YAMATO, but if someone was going to run the Royal Road next year (be the big focus in the cage, win king of gate, win at Kobe World), I think he’s now the favorite.

It’s not a four star match or anything, but SBK vs Kagetora was his big step forward. And it was a lot sooner than even I thought.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, I think between SBK and Shun's big title run, we're seeing a shift towards the younger guys. But I think title reigns like YAMATO's feed into that rather than being the veterans who need to step aside - whoever beats him is going to be a huge deal.

How many years left do would you guess the Toryumon veterans have left in them? I'm not aware of anyone who has retirement-forcing nagging injuries like Yoshino (except maybe Hulk's shoulder?), and most of the 40+ guys still seem to be in remarkably good health. Like I'm perpetually amazed at how incredibly agile Dragon Kid still is at 45.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Kid has dragon blood, he ages differently than normal humans.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Kzy is pulled from tonight's show due to inflammation in his right ankle. Susumu's moved to Kzy's slot in the main, and Hoho Lun is taking Susumu's previous place.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 21, 2021

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

sticklefifer posted:

I believe that's a Jagi from Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star reference.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Catching up with last night's show. I will never get tired of looking at KBS Hall. The stained glass wall is incredible.

I'd say the standout matches were U-T/Okuda, and the Lee/Doi vs Hulk/SBK tag. Both are worth checking out. The opener and main are both pretty fun too.

Lily Catts posted:

I believe that's a Jagi from Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star reference.
Oh drat, you're 100% right. I haven't seen that in ages.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Watching the KBS show now. Interesting that they had Minoura and Dia cut a small opening promo before their match. I know some people have pointed out Masquerade don't have any promo guys in the unit. Maybe this is an Eita situation where they kept giving him the mic until he could cut a decent promo.

EDIT: Doi marking out for Jason using the slingblade is amazing.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've seen a running joke floating around for the last several months about how Ben-K changes his look on a seasonal basis. It looks like the Ben-K Autumn 2021 Collection is going to be... shaved head in the middle and longer on the sides? It's like a reverse Shingo haircut. He looks like Punchy after the DoA loss.

I also just realized how weird the schedule is for the rest of this year. Instead of getting an August/September/November/December run for the next 4 PPVs, this is the 2021 schedule:
Dangerous Gate: September 20
Gate of Destiny: November 3
Gate of Origin: November 5
Final Gate: TBA (likely mid/late December)

I'm guessing they rearranged the planned dates for the autumn shows due to Delta variant spikes in Japan. It's probably not the best idea to have a big August show right now. Still, it's weird to have Destiny & Origin only 2 days apart.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 22, 2021