Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

quote:

BRIDGEVILLE, Pa. — A Bridgeville police officer is facing aggravated assault by vehicle charges after a pedestrian crash in December 2023.

The officer’s name is Daine Lower.

Last year, a woman was walking across a pedestrian walkway when she was hit by the patrol car. She was taken to a hospital in critical condition.

According to investigators, the officer’s body camera shows him using his cell phone video while driving, just before the crash. Police say he appeared to be watching a video on his phone.

The guys who are supposed to be enforcing traffic laws are also too busy staring at their phones to drive safely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I was biking alongside a cop car yesterday and witnessed it changing lanes mid-intersection and periodically veering into my lane without signalling. Despite this, I was able to keep up with it pretty easily since one of the two lanes was constantly blocked by illegally parked cars that the cop also didn't bother to stop and ticket.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The guys who are supposed to be enforcing traffic laws are also too busy staring at their phones to drive safely

Every cop I see around town is sitting in an idling suv hunched over their double chins staring at their cell phone. This is why we can't pay teachers

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

MortLansky posted:

I met this dude in real life over fifteen years ago and I love seeing him online still. His wife is a bitch though. Hope you're alright, "myrtyr"

you mean myrtar, like martyr but kewl

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It’s probably not even department policy to have body cameras running in the car.

He’s been hoisted with his own petard.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mauser posted:

Every cop I see around town is sitting in an idling suv hunched over their double chins staring at their cell phone. This is why we can't pay teachers

There was one of these parked by one of the stop signs on my way home that people always roll. Two people rolled it while I was walking by, including one person who didn't even slow down. Nobody gives a poo poo.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i email my local politicians every day to demand that traffic enforcement is taken off the polices hands and put in the city bylaw officers.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

it remains very crazy that you can smash car after car into poo poo all day every day 24/7 and there's no mechanism to stop this dude from doing it again. force his parents to install 2fa on all the rest of their cars and have the cars refuse to turn on if this guy is anywhere near it. force his parents to install speed governors on their cars so they can't exceed the speed limit. blacklist the entire fam from owning/operating motor vehicles. something, anything, other than letting him keep it up until he vaporizes an entire family

They gotta get to work

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

leftist heap posted:

where yall live that there aren't any bumblebees. go find some flowers

They don't usually fly into my apartment

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have called two different traffic hotlines to report a broken crosswalk signal. Asked both "is this the place to report this?" and both said "you can, I guess." Starting to think there's no real mechanism to get this fixed.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Fondly recalling the time my apartment complex welded their perimeter fence shut to keep the homeless out and then like 2 weeks later it impeded the fire department from responding to a multi-unit fire for several minutes (luckily no injuries), and then they welded the fence shut again where the FD buzzsawed through, and after I reported it to the fire marshall on cspams advice they called me back literally just to laugh at me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have called two different traffic hotlines to report a broken crosswalk signal. Asked both "is this the place to report this?" and both said "you can, I guess." Starting to think there's no real mechanism to get this fixed.

Tell them the broken crosswalk signal keeps stopping traffic for no reason and they'll send the national guard and batman

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Microplastics posted:

Tell them the broken crosswalk signal keeps stopping traffic for no reason and they'll send the national guard and batman

Generally good advice for 311 and similar public services. Call to mention debris in a bike lane? They will pretend to take notes and nothing will ever happen. Report the same thing as debris in the road? There will be a city worker there within the hour, and they’ll usually deal with the bike lane anyway.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh, right, duh. If it's still broken in a week I'll call back and tell them the button is stuck in the on position and triggering red lights even when no pedestrians are present.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

God Hole posted:

Fondly recalling the time my apartment complex welded their perimeter fence shut to keep the homeless out and then like 2 weeks later it impeded the fire department from responding to a multi-unit fire for several minutes (luckily no injuries), and then they welded the fence shut again where the FD buzzsawed through, and after I reported it to the fire marshall on cspams advice they called me back literally just to laugh at me.

Punishing the homeless is more important than keeping people with homes safe.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I saw a talk last night about how housing departments walled in public housing and created only one way to walk in and out of all black neighborhoods and it made me think of the whole anti woke argument that walkability is just a ploy to keep you from being able to get out of the city (fema camps etc)

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh, right, duh. If it's still broken in a week I'll call back and tell them the button is stuck in the on position and triggering red lights even when no pedestrians are present.

Just call them now and say it's been that way for a week.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

larper posted:

I saw a talk last night about how housing departments walled in public housing and created only one way to walk in and out of all black neighborhoods and it made me think of the whole anti woke argument that walkability is just a ploy to keep you from being able to get out of the city (fema camps etc)

I am sure the walkability thing uses some tortured logic, but I feel like I'm missing a few steps here.

Also what was the reasoning for single entrance for black housing? Is it a police thing?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mauser posted:

I am sure the walkability thing uses some tortured logic, but I feel like I'm missing a few steps here.

Also what was the reasoning for single entrance for black housing? Is it a police thing?

they have an officers station and make everyone walk by it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

God Hole posted:

lol, rip

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

God Hole posted:

lol loving owned snitch

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the streetlight on a corner on my walk to the train has been out for months and i have to cross the street in the predawn dark and its on a hilltop with like a blind crest. i think about complaining but i know that its a waste of time.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

the streetlight on a corner on my walk to the train has been out for months and i have to cross the street in the predawn dark and its on a hilltop with like a blind crest. i think about complaining but i know that its a waste of time.

apparently you just need to report that a car drove into it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

call in and pretend you are a car

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

larper posted:

mawarannahr posted:

call in and pretend you are a car

after they welded the fences up there was a period of about 3 months where I could not freely leave my apartment complex because the only way out was through the car-activated parking lot gate and I didn't own a car lol my bike and I were not car-like enough to activate it. If I wanted to completely debase myself I could go a quarter-mile out of my way and through the leasing office (during business hours ofc)

so what's the threshold on calling the fire marshall on your landlord when it becomes cool? did I get close at least?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

God Hole posted:

after they welded the fences up there was a period of about 3 months where I could not freely leave my apartment complex because the only way out was through the car-activated parking lot gate and I didn't own a car lol my bike and I were not car-like enough to activate it. If I wanted to completely debase myself I could go a quarter-mile out of my way and through the leasing office (during business hours ofc)

so what's the threshold on calling the fire marshall on your landlord when it becomes cool? did I get close at least?

what you do is sabotage the garage door and make it everybody else’s problem

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

spechtie posted:

The Kei Truck Garden Contest (2018)
The Japan Federation of Landscape Contractors organizes an annual landscaping contest, where landscaping contractors from around Japan arrive on site with their mini pickup trucks and then spending several hours transforming the cargo bed into a small garden.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ah, konnichiwa

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

The American equivalent would be an F-150 with astroturf instead of truck bed liner.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mr. Sharps posted:

what you do is sabotage the garage door and make it everybody else’s problem

the homeless guys were way ahead of me on that one. I did stand lookout for them once as they jammed up the drive chain with a bike lock. Trouble is that gate was just about the only thing that management compnay was on the ball for, they had that thing up and running within hours every single time

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Japan ftw

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Ensign Expendable posted:

The American equivalent would be an F-150 with astroturf instead of truck bed liner.

These kei trucks have more cargo space in bed than a modern F150.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Blame Pyrrhus posted:

These kei trucks have more cargo space in bed than a modern F150.

Same length but much different volume and weight capacity

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my buddy owns two Honda Acty trucks and he can fit a full 4' x 8' sheet of plywood in the bed (sits at an angle and like 1" pops out the tailgate).

plus the bed sides and tailgate fold down to give you a totally flat bed surface without obstruction.

they're loving awesome.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Kei cars and trucks are great because they perform the basic function of getting your poo poo from point A to point B admirably, but are obviously completely impossible in the US because we demand more power and more size

there's tons of car traffic and a lot of the roads are tiny things with no sidewalks that aren't wide enough for two lanes of traffic, and yet it works fine and I felt safe running and biking on the roads because people don't drive like assholes

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my buddy owns two Honda Acty trucks and he can fit a full 4' x 8' sheet of plywood in the bed (sits at an angle and like 1" pops out the tailgate).

plus the bed sides and tailgate fold down to give you a totally flat bed surface without obstruction.

they're loving awesome.

It's a 6 foot bed so your description is not exactly accurate wrt overhang

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

type R

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

500excf type r posted:

It's a 6 foot bed so your description is not exactly accurate wrt overhang

SORRY I MEANT 9.7"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Don't hate bitch, do you know how much paste I had to eat to get to where I am