Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mauser posted:

Arguing with a tweet from a nobody, but not everyone owns phones. Still plenty of areas where folks don't have phones, a lot of times fewer women than men own phones in low income areas. My father in law doesn't own a phone because he hates them and is old as hell.

You are correct of course, a cursory search reveals about 60% of people have phones. That's 4.8 billion people. 4.8 billion cars.

And it is not so much the tweeter but the idea that I wish to present. It is not more or less wrong based on how famous this fellow is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
You're right. I'm sorry for attacking this dork's lack of followers and likes when I should have just attacked his ideas.

:hai:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mauser posted:

Thanks Narbonne. Even the Romans built better roads than this :rolleyes:

But where did they park all their chariots?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Those look like Pennsylvanian roads

…in the sense synonymous with “Upper Carboniferous”.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Platystemon posted:

But where did they park all their chariots?

how much of Rome would we have to destroy to give the colosseum the same parking capacity as the astrodome

at least the chase center in SF has virtually no (surface) parking next to it

edit:

the astrodome complex is like 750m by 1km

the area around the colosseum is a lot less dense than I remembered

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Apr 16, 2024

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oh boy street takeovers v civil forfeiture is a fun one to decide where I stand

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

let them fight

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
if I drove to a parking lot to see a baseball game I'd just not ever go to a game. leaving must be a loving nightmare.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

if I drove to a parking lot to see a baseball game I'd just not ever go to a game. leaving must be a loving nightmare.

Yes, it is. They should add more lanes by the stadium.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

there are a lot of good bars and restaurants next to the baseball stadium in houston, which was sensibly built downtown instead of in some fuckin far exurb. every time i get out of a game i just go somewhere and have a bite or something to eat, wait out the traffic. because it does get completely insane.

for nrg stadium at least it is directly served by the light rail, like the station drops you in front of it. much easier than driving (but everyone drives because the light rail doesnt serve a very big area). $3 round trip is hard to beat too.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Philly's stadium area is also served by our BSL subway but has an enormous surface parking lot surrounding it

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.905794,-75.1696369,1898m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e2?hl=en&entry=ttu

There are at least some plans about developing the area, maybe.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate/commercial/phillies-sixers-south-philadelphia-sports-complex-comcast-20240321.html

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

i wish that part of Philly wasn’t all junked up by two interstate highways, an exploded oil refinery, and the urban outfitters headquarters

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Never had to drive to a sports thing, it owns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Never had to drive to a sports thing, it owns

wasteful amount of bridges.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

wasteful amount of bridges.
You're going to love Pittsburgh's new bridge maintenance plan of letting them all collapse

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

On December 12, 1964, Frederick Williams, a 21-year-old chemistry major at the University of Pittsburgh from Basking Ridge, New Jersey, drove his 1959 Chrysler station wagon through the bridge's wooden barricades, raced off the end of the bridge, and landed upside-down but unhurt on the other side, 190 feet away at the north bank of the Allegheny River.[2][3] His adventure is documented in WQED-TV's double Mid-Atlantic region Emmy Award-winning documentary "Flying off the Bridge to Nowhere and Other Tales of Pittsburgh Bridges", narrated by Rick Sebak.

Within a few weeks of this near tragedy, an iconic Pittsburgh radio personality, Rege Cordic, distributed commemorative bumper stickers which read "Official Entry, Cordic & Company Bridge Leap Contest." With thousands of vehicles bearing these stickers on Pittsburgh's streets, the city responded by blocking off the end of the bridge with concrete barriers.[citation needed]

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I used to live a five-minute walk from the soccer/football stadium and a ten-minute walk from the baseball stadium in Seattle. It was pretty awesome. People with spare tickets could call me after kickoff, and I could make the game easy. Had season tickets for a few years, too, it was a great investment. Could not recommend more, I really miss it, but it was have that, or own a house.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Atlanta managed to build a new stadium with no giant parking lots, and it's still almost entirely inaccessible without a car. An island in a sea of highways.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

one time I got roped into attending an orioles game with coworkers and it was the most satisfying thing ever to walk out of the stadium and just say bye, I’m gonna walk home now, enjoy your 30 minute drive just to get out of the parking garage

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i fuckin love taking the bus to the ballpark and then taking the bus back home

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

kreeningsons posted:

one time I got roped into attending an orioles game with coworkers and it was the most satisfying thing ever to walk out of the stadium and just say bye, I’m gonna walk home now, enjoy your 30 minute drive just to get out of the parking garage

My buddy and I rode our bikes down to that stadium and smuggled in a bottle of whiskey in the rain cover pocket on the bottom of my backpack. Zero traffic getting out, but torrential downpour soaked us on the way back. Infinitely better than driving.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Complete list of Ford vehicles offered in the United States of America in 2024 that are neither trucks nor SUVs

1. Mustang

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Ham Equity posted:

I used to live a five-minute walk from the soccer/football stadium and a ten-minute walk from the baseball stadium in Seattle. It was pretty awesome. People with spare tickets could call me after kickoff, and I could make the game easy. Had season tickets for a few years, too, it was a great investment. Could not recommend more, I really miss it, but it was have that, or own a house.

hope you didn't have to cross I-90 to make that trip :whitewater:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

corona familiar posted:

hope you didn't have to cross I-90 to make that trip :whitewater:

what? there's no way you're walking across 90 and at the stadium five minutes later.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

what? there's no way you're walking across 90 and at the stadium five minutes later.

my bad I misremembered where the 90 off-ramps were in relation to the stadium. it's been a while

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Platystemon posted:

Complete list of Ford vehicles offered in the United States of America in 2024 that are neither trucks nor SUVs

1. Mustang

the fiesta st was less than a decade ago :(

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The fiesta has been replaced with the puma, which is only very slightly larger. It's extremely disingenuous to refer to it as a SUV, it's a compact car with crossover styling. In fact, the list of objections to trucks that also apply to SUVs generally don't apply to most crossovers which for instance have front ends at fairly normal heights and aren't much bigger than normal cars. This is not the only crossover being offered by Ford in 2024.

Oh and the fiesta was discontinued last year and originally built in the 70s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Puma_(crossover)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Live by the sword, die by the sword.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Weka posted:

The fiesta has been replaced with the puma, which is only very slightly larger. It's extremely disingenuous to refer to it as a SUV, it's a compact car with crossover styling. In fact, the list of objections to trucks that also apply to SUVs generally don't apply to most crossovers which for instance have front ends at fairly normal heights and aren't much bigger than normal cars. This is not the only crossover being offered by Ford in 2024.

americadude

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

wikipedia informs me that the puma is a “subcompact crossover SUV” whatever the gently caress that is. i guess this is just what regular cars are like now due to unchecked interbreeding with SUVs

kreeningsons has issued a correction as of 01:33 on Apr 17, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Weka posted:

lol it literally says SUV in the first sentence

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

fwiw it's almost exactly the same weight as the most recent generation of ford fiesta

it is 10 cm wider and taller though

also looks super ugly in comparison. yeesh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Weka posted:

it's 100% an suv. as an regretful owner of an hrv (i wanted a fit, but discontinued, or a civic HB (but 12 month wait)), it's basically 2-inchs wider than mine but 2-inchs shorter (:wink:)

it's an suv bro, hate to break it ot you.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I love cars.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Crossovers are lifted hatchbacks, with less cargo space
SUVs are lifted minivans, with significantly less cargo space

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Weka posted:

And to add on to what everyone else said, they don't even sell it in the North American market

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Best-selling truk/car, USA : France

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

imagine buying a car in france lol loving idiots

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/conspacecase/status/1780145890772025399

when big car has taken over the country before you were even born

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/conspacecase/status/1780145890772025399

when big car has taken over the country before you were even born

the funniest thing about this picture is that even if the guardrail were on the other side of the sidewalk there's a decent chance a modern SUV or EV would just plow right through it

https://www.bostonherald.com/2024/01/31/crash-tests-finds-guardrails-too-weak-for-evs/

feel like I read about this in this thread a while back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
https://twitter.com/menonfilmpod/status/1779860978886475806