Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

Just reviewed a geotech report for a retractable bollard installation.

Update: the client has decided to build drop arms only, the project team is devastated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
hit a pedestrian who is near the fence and destroy the fence in the process. you harmed a pedestrian, so there should be no consequences

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It would be nice if someone destroyed it, but I'm not going to risk a vandalism charge. I don't think bolt cutters would really do much here anyway.

This is separating university property from university property, and it's how a lot of us get to the bus stop.

Probably a ratchet clamp/spreader, but yeah replacing a section of that fencing might be expensive enough to result in serious charges.

More realistically, does the school have a civil engineering program? They're more likely to understand your case about desire paths and may already interact with the university's road maintenance department. Best case scenario you get a real crosswalk there.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This was put up for PR purposes after a high-profile murder. It's entirely possible that everyone involved knows it's pointless, but they're under immense pressure to "do something"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Suplex Liberace posted:

just drive your 6 wheeled black ops style suburban tank through it

This, OP.

There are next to no consequences for hitting stuff with a truck.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/3-children-woman-killed-renton-crash/281-9bade9ef-b721-4800-8d5b-f5a0da991e5e

two of the kids who died in this crash are children of an engineer at my company,

I explained to a coworker that likely nothing will happen to the driver unless there are some extenuating circumstances and she got really upset with me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

withak posted:

Update: the client has decided to build drop arms only, the project team is devastated.
:rip:

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It would be nice if someone destroyed it, but I'm not going to risk a vandalism charge. I don't think bolt cutters would really do much here anyway.

This is separating university property from university property, and it's how a lot of us get to the bus stop.

Just loosen these fasteners and you're good to go

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lol that's some garbage rear end fencing, bring back real wrought iron

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

“Well, first of all, I would say – the first message is to hug your loved ones – and secondly, just make sure that when you are out and about – you’re very careful of your surroundings as you’re driving," said Pat Pawlak, Puget Sound division fire chief.

keep your head on a swivel!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
why didn't he say "obey the speed limit" lmao

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Battery powered sawzall with a hacksaw blade will get through that in about 10 seconds per cut. Looks like you would need 6 cuts to do a professional looking job. I say bid on the project. Everyone loves an entrepreneur.

E: nm I didn't even notice this:

LIterallyABikeshop posted:

Just loosen these fasteners and you're good to go

Leroy Diplowski has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Mar 23, 2024

Apr 7, 2003

I've seen fences around here like that and they're jarring as gently caress if you live in an area where the fencing it's aping is still around

This is the same sort of hollow trash fence and it's even more hosed up now because someone hit it again since this picture was taken

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

spiritual bypass posted:

why didn't he say "obey the speed limit" lmao

that would be violence

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

No, speed limits are lockdowns. Tickets are violence.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, asking people to obey speed limits is violence.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Battery powered sawzall with a hacksaw blade will get through that in about 10 seconds per cut. Looks like you would need 6 cuts to do a professional looking job. I say bid on the project. Everyone loves an entrepreneur.

E: nm I didn't even notice this:

yeah get a hi vis vest and a hat and nobody will even look twice at anyone making modifications to it

if you're really worried, unironically just drive a car through it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Minera posted:

yeah get a hi vis vest and a hat and nobody will even look twice at anyone making modifications to it

it can’t be stated enough how much poo poo you can get away with this way lmao

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

it can’t be stated enough how much poo poo you can get away with this way lmao

i seriously didnt believe it until i worked a job wearing one

it's like you instantly turn invisible to normal people

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s basically how ninjas work.

Dress like a stagehand, and everyone will tune you out.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

That's exactly why I am one :imunfunny:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thoughts?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/_jonnyknight/status/1770861805650297318?t=6L0DZJ_6zsAAU-fRGpr3VQ&s=19

Apr 7, 2003

Guy couldn’t pull off a u turn in this piece of poo poo and just sat in the intersection clogging it up. Turning radius of a battleship lmao

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

this guys dad is gonna beef it on a dirt bike within six months

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

he will beef it doing what he loves

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

BONGHITZ posted:

he will beef it doing what he loves

that's right. dirtbike dad ftw

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

man, i'd be pissed running if i still lived there

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rauros posted:

man, i'd be pissed running if i still lived there

They're fencing off most of the area behind the lake so that you can only enter from the front. It's really stupid. And they also destroyed a homeless camp for no reason.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's because homeless people lived there op

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thoughts?

quote:

In the present issue we illustrate a proposed high speed railroad, in whose operation aeroplanes take a part. By this system the attainment of a speed of 150 miles an hour is claimed to be possible, while for long distances a rate of 125 miles an hour is hoped for. The projectors hold that the railroad of the present time must be supplemented by some system admitting of higher speed.

To reach this speed, curves must be abolished, as the centrifugal force will be too great to be withstood. Accordingly, as far as possible, the line will go right across country from point to point, without regard to grade. Next, the road must be free from interruption; there must be no possibility of any obstacle getting on the track. This makes an elevated structure the proper one, and the one shown in the cut has been designed to secure the essential features of strength and safety. It includes an upper and a lower pair of rails, and a pair of trolley wires or leads.

May 5, 1894 Scientific American

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Straight across the country without regard to grade would be interesting to see if nothing else

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Straight across the country without regard to grade would be interesting to see if nothing else

You'd need to tunnel to truly ignore grade considering the curvature of the earth.

Hyperfast speed isn't a bad idea, but maybe we could do it with cars instead. And it could connect end-to-end! Some sort of... hyper... loop?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Rochallor posted:

You'd need to tunnel to truly ignore grade considering the curvature of the earth.

Hyperfast speed isn't a bad idea, but maybe we could do it with cars instead. And it could connect end-to-end! Some sort of... hyper... loop?

You could also go really really tall

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

get a load of this nasa apologist

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Platystemon posted:

It’s basically how ninjas work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-eSbqHUvOw

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
comb your hair straight forward and cut a straight line across the bangs. it's the ultimate disaster survival strategy

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Apr 7, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That guy was janitor or IT drone, right?