Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was reading about kei trucks and apparently they're total poo poo to drive and maintain and the reason they're banned for import (until they're antiques) is because they have no emission controls compared to a normal US car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

IIRC most of the kia truck brands people gush over in threads like this aren't even made in Japan anymore because they can't meet modern safety/emissions standards there economically.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

IIRC most of the kia truck brands people gush over in threads like this aren't even made in Japan anymore because they can't meet modern safety/emissions standards there economically.

theyre stupid and dumb, like every car

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Generally good advice for 311 and similar public services. Call to mention debris in a bike lane? They will pretend to take notes and nothing will ever happen. Report the same thing as debris in the road? There will be a city worker there within the hour, and they’ll usually deal with the bike lane anyway.

I was walking through a neighborhood I usually don't go through that had some real poo poo sidewalks, and at one point there's a tree in a bed that narrows the sidewalk to maybe 30" right next to a building. Around this tree bed are some plastic barriers, and then there's another plastic traffic barrier set on its side, teetering over the barrier closest to the sidewalk, meaning you have to get hit in the head by it overhanging or get right up next to the building to go around it if you're over, like, five feet tall, narrowing the sidewalk to effectively like a foot.

I stood and looked at this for about twenty seconds, wondering "what the gently caress," and it had clearly been like this for at least hours, people just squeezing by it. I waited until a break in traffic, just flipped it out towards the road, bingo-bango no more sidewalk obstruction. Someone was moving it out of the road before I'd finished crossing the street half a block away.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

I was reading about kei trucks and apparently they're total poo poo to drive and maintain and the reason they're banned for import (until they're antiques) is because they have no emission controls compared to a normal US car.

lol no they're banned for import because everything is banned for import, manufacturers and dealers don't want you to do it. that said, they definitely don't meet US safety standards, because US safety standards are way harsher because we drive like goddamn maniacs. they're designed for the Japanese market with exacting specifications.

they're great to drive in the right context, but that context isn't US roads. I often end up renting a Kei car when I need to drive in Japan, the speed limits everywhere except expressways are 60 kph or lower, and that's about how fast those things can move without starting to struggle a bit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Finding it hard to believe that a Kei truck would be more pollutant than an F150 Raptor Ranger or whatever

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Finding it hard to believe that a Kei truck would be more pollutant than an F150 Raptor Ranger or whatever

Durr what are emissions standards

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Compliance is determined by running the engine at a standardised test cycle.

The engine management settings that give the lowest emissions, or low enough emissions to pass the test, are usually different to those that give the best fuel economy or performance. Since the latter characteristics are those that attract buyers, a potential problem with cycles that are a simplified version of real-world usage is that vehicle and engine manufacturers may exploit the limited number of test conditions in the cycle by programming their engine management systems to control emissions to regulated levels at the specific test points contained in the cycle, but at all other times to give the best economy or performance. This undermines the main aim of the tests, namely improved air quality and public health.

From a technical perspective, European emissions standards do not reflect everyday usage of the vehicle as manufacturers are allowed to lighten the vehicle by removing the back seats, improve aerodynamics by taping over grilles and door handles or reduce the load on the generator by switching off the headlights, the passenger compartment fan or simply disconnecting the alternator which charges the battery.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

500excf type r posted:

Durr what are emissions standards

in the US large trucks have relaxed emissions standards. that's why us manufacturers exclusively make them.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ArmedZombie posted:

in the US large trucks have relaxed emissions standards. that's why us manufacturers exclusively make them.

Tesla's entire business model is selling carbon credits that let Ford, GM, and <Chrysler surrogate> produce monster pollution trucks

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
a special license should be required to buy a truck. including evidence that you’re using it as intended. means tested truck access

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pink Mist posted:

a special license should be required to buy a truck. including evidence that you’re using it as intended. means tested truck access

lol truck owners are gonna drive around with a bed full of stuff just to pass the tests, at the cost of even worse efficiency

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
BRB gotta buy some hay bales and drive around town all morning to maintain my truck license.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

truck bros would absolutely do that lmfao

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
driving anything bigger than a 1994 ford ranger should require a cdl

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
If I had a Canal Defense Light then yeah I'd probably need a truck for it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

applying for a brodozer classification on your license results in an automatic death penalty

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can't import Kei trucks because they can't reach US highway speeds. That's it. Talked to a Japanese importer in a Costco parking lot once and that was his answer. Like the other goon said, not "safe to drive."

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
If you dont ever get on the freeway, who cares.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A vehicle being unsafe to drive because it's too slow is the stupidest loving idea. If a bicycle is on a highway, the problem isn't the bicycle, it's everyone else! What it really means is that we'd much rather lock people out of certain stretches of road, rather than asking everyone else to tap their brakes once in a while. It's an elevation of car-havers to their own privileged position within society, at the expense of everyone else.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
simply scale the kei truck up until it is exempt from the emissions standards and there you are. could probably put in a bit enough engine to be safe on the freeway also.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Everytime I see one of those gently caress off large trucks I always think to myself "this person has to be in serious debt" and I'm sure I'm right 90% of the time

https://twitter.com/dmtrubman/status/1773838033843855756

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

Everytime I see one of those gently caress off large trucks I always think to myself "this person has to be in serious debt" and I'm sure I'm right 90% of the time

its a very funny story but its also, likely, complete fiction and (agreeable) propaganda. :discourse:

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can't import Kei trucks because they can't reach US highway speeds. That's it. Talked to a Japanese importer in a Costco parking lot once and that was his answer. Like the other goon said, not "safe to drive."

This is Oregon’s rationale for not titling the “antique” imported kei trucks too, but they’ll happily slap a plate on a Honda Monkey that doesn’t do highway speeds or protect you in a crash either. It’s stupid, let me have my dumb tiny truck

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NYC_DOT/status/1773851722890252312?t=ngg3eKDfblJSVK_oTP0tZw&s=19

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Smythe posted:

its a very funny story but its also, likely, complete fiction and (agreeable) propaganda. :discourse:

people do be paying huge car payments a month for 72 months for a stupid truck they can't afford though

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Cargi B? Really?

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Smythe posted:

Yeah, no landlord is that easy to work with.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

Lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I know idiot is right in the IK name but a 25 year old vehicle is held to emission standards of it's time while a new vehicle is held to emission standards of now, sorry you retards can't understand simple concepts

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

500excf type r posted:

I know idiot is right in the IK name but a 25 year old vehicle is held to emission standards of it's time while a new vehicle is held to emission standards of now, sorry you retards can't understand simple concepts

lol

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

500excf type r posted:

Emission standards are greenwashing, OP - hth.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Horseshoe theory posted:

Emission standards are greenwashing, OP - hth.

yep. roll coal or gtfo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Grandfathering in vehicles that have been in the country and driven the whole time is one thing, but it’s pretty silly to let in foreign market cars that had never previously been legal on your roadways just because they’re old enough to serve in the House of Representatives.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

aw frig aw dang it posted:

yep. roll coal or gtfo

Volkswagen agrees.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1774026252803870966?t=N_-Y4GefM8pcY8ObPTYspQ&s=19

What the gently caress is this

Did they gentrify riding a bike

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why doesn’t he have his domestique in the team car do those things? :confused:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

american psycho reboot needs to go back to the drawing board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt