Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

jetz0r posted:

ban metal cages around motor vehicles.

ok, fine, you get a windshield and a rollcage around your chairs, that's it.

Making cars noisier and uncomfortable to operate would go a long way towards solving a lot of car issues

Making them more dangerous to the operator would also be excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

my bony fealty posted:

perhaps the combustion engine could be removed from the motorcycle entirely in favor of a pedal-powdered system where the rider provides the force

I like it but can we take out the wheels and mechanism while somehow leaving the pedaling motion in place? This will cut down on costs

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

500excf type r posted:

The American motorcycle association doesnt support helmet laws lol

did you know your corneas are worth 3k per diem

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

did you know your corneas are worth 3k per diem

No, I did not know my corneas were worth 3k per day

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

per diem refers to the method of employment ya dingus

mystes
May 31, 2006

They're a veritable corneacopia

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my corneas arent day laborers

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nobody's eyes want to work anymore.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

not since the american motorcycle association was captured by Big Cornea

Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

per diem refers to the method of employment ya dingus

mfw my cornea are subjected to the method of employment

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Had a little moment of bike win yesterday

I run my dinky cruiser as a cargo bike, it suboptimal, but it works well enough.

However one of the tradeoffs is that is very hard on the rear wheel, I go through a rear wheel about once a year, W/E still cheaper than a tank of gas

I was out running errands and the rear cassette goes floppy and I know it's had it. I resign myself to checking the local buy/sell pages for a similar bike or rear wheel I can slot in when I get home

While limping home I spy an abandoned bicycle of the same size and I whip out my tool kit, remove the rear wheel and limp home to change out the tyre and everything

Back up and running

Bikes are great

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jestery posted:

Had a little moment of bike win yesterday

I run my dinky cruiser as a cargo bike, it suboptimal, but it works well enough.

However one of the tradeoffs is that is very hard on the rear wheel, I go through a rear wheel about once a year, W/E still cheaper than a tank of gas

I was out running errands and the rear cassette goes floppy and I know it's had it. I resign myself to checking the local buy/sell pages for a similar bike or rear wheel I can slot in when I get home

While limping home I spy an abandoned bicycle of the same size and I whip out my tool kit, remove the rear wheel and limp home to change out the tyre and everything

Back up and running

Bikes are great

now that bicycle's mother is going to come back and actually abandon them because you mutilated it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
It was well abandoned

Both tyres flat, tubes pulled out and wrapped around the whole deal

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jetz0r posted:

ban motor vehicles.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Jestery posted:

It was well abandoned

Both tyres flat, tubes pulled out and wrapped around the whole deal

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW6gGyfxn1U

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Why are traffic fatalities way up?

Fentanyl

https://www.portlandmercury.com/new...-deadly-crashes

quote:

At the April 17 City Council meeting, Commissioner Dan Ryan asked PBOT staff and Portland Police Bureau (PPB) officers for the “real data on why people are dying,” specifically referring to homeless pedestrians.

“Yes, they were hit by a car,” Ryan said. “But we can assume with some of the data it’s because they are impaired while walking.”

Some of Ryan’s assumptions appeared to be based on his own experience driving around the city.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.wxii12.com/article/speak-up-say-something-family-of-father-killed-in-hit-and-run-wants-justice/60539154

quote:

The victim, identified as Kyle Presnell, 36, was walking in the southbound lane on North Holden Road when he was struck by an unknown vehicle that left the scene.

Kyle's family says he was a DJ in Greensboro and someone who could light up whatever room he walked into. They say that, above all, he was an amazing father to his 8-year-old daughter, Aaliyah.

“He goes to work, he comes home, and he takes care of her. And that is what his life consists of," said Crystal Hill, Kyle's family member.

Kyle was raising Aaliyah as a single parent ever since his fiance, Anita, died three years ago in a car accident.

:thumbsup:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Impaired while walking, gently caress off

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Are the cars out of touch? No, it's the pedestrians who are wrong.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/gra...BGT3AX2EDRTSUU/

quote:

Grandmother killed in head-on crash on East Carson Street was driving to meet newborn grandson

By Gabriella DeLuca, WPXI-TV
March 12, 2024 at 5:20 pm EDT

Grandmother killed in head-on crash on East Carson Street was on way to meet newborn grandson

PITTSBURGH — A grandmother on the way to visit her newborn grandson was killed while en route to the hospital on Monday.

Mary Alice Bendick took a half day of work, then took East Carson Street and headed toward Magee. She called her daughter, Shelby, on the way.

“She was so excited to have a third grandchild,” Shelby Thompson told Channel 11. “She was so excited to leave work and go down there.”

While en route to Magee, Bendick was killed. A truck crossed the center line and slammed into Mary Alice’s SUV.

“It just feels like a nightmare. To see someone one second, and then get a call a couple later, and they’re gone,” Thompson said.

Bendick’s husband is a train conductor and told Channel 11 that the crash halted his trip on the train tracks, and he had to wait until it was cleared.

He had no idea that the woman who was killed in that crash was his wife.

“Being with my dad for 34 years, and to lose your best friend in such a sudden and senseless way, it’s heartbreak,” Thompson said.

According to Channel 11 sources, the woman driving the truck was highly intoxicated at the time of the crash.

Sources say, the woman is a former City of Pittsburgh medic and was let go from that position for showing up to work drunk this past fall.

The drunk driver in this case was never arrested or held by the police and has yet to be charged. Just out there living her life and probably driving drunk again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

michigan driver crashes 25 feet deep into a boat club's clubhouse holding a childrens birthday party killing 2 and injuring 13. the boat club will be closed for the rest of the weekend. the unnamed driver is cooperating with dui investigators.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
cars: one weird trick to getting away with murder (if you're white)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Why are traffic fatalities way up?

Fentanyl

On October 21, 2023, James Brian Fenimore was walking on the sidewalk on SE 82nd Avenue near Burnside Street, heading to run an errand, when a drunk driver veered off the street and struck him with a minivan.

quote:

James Fentimore

Yep, theory checks out.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Platystemon posted:

Are these only three‐quarters as bad as cars? Thoughts?

Boomers just love those things

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

cat botherer posted:

Boomers just love those things

Where I live you don't need a motorcycle licence for those, so they're a sign screaming "stay away from these on the road, something insanely stupid is about to happen"

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I’ve never driven one of these but I’ve heard that the build quality is like if an automobile was made by Amazon Basics

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
here is a thing i want badly: https://cscmotorcycles.com/2023-csc-monterey-electric-scooter/

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Platystemon posted:

there's some jackass around me that has one of these with a million LED lights and a loud rear end stereo that he plays fuckin Foghat on and drives around my neighborhood

it's pretty lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Blasting Foghat around the neighborhood on weekends is actually on of the legitimate uses of those things.

Apr 21, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Apr 21, 2024

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yesterday a guy rode by me on a jet ski motorcycle. Incredible.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yesterday a guy rode by me on a jet ski motorcycle. Incredible.

if you’re in Los Angeles it was probably a goon and I know him

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Looks like it rules

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

lol 180 lbs and the top speed of an e-bike

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

marshmonkey posted:

lol 180 lbs and the top speed of an e-bike

not a high performance vehicle for sure

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Smythe posted:

if you’re in Los Angeles it was probably a goon and I know him

Southern Appalachia. Maybe he's on a roadtrip

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Looks a lot like the Super Cub, which is objectively the coolest scooter. So agreed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the coolest motorcycle.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

i have just looked up “jetski motorcycle” and it’s exactly what it says on the tin

i guess the wheels sticking out the bottom add less drag in the water than you’d think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

michigan driver crashes 25 feet deep into a boat club's clubhouse holding a childrens birthday party killing 2 and injuring 13. the boat club will be closed for the rest of the weekend. the unnamed driver is cooperating with dui investigators.

I just saw that story, what the gently caress is the point of noting that the arrested drunken murderer is cooperating with authorities

"Jeffrey Dahmer has been taken into custody on suspicion of cannibalism, with evidence found in his refrigerator. He is cooperating with authorities."