Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol lady is still in the cab too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.timesofisrael.com/ben-gvirs-car-flips-over-after-running-red-light-minister-lightly-injured/

quote:

Ben Gvir’s car flips over after running red light, minister lightly injured

National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir’s vehicle flipped in a car accident while leaving the scene of a terror stabbing on Friday in the central city of Ramle, police said. Video from the scene showed his car running a red light.

Police said two vehicles were involved in the collision and five people were taken to hospital after being lightly injured.

Ben Gvir’s office said the minister was in good condition and conscious, but was taken to the nearby Shamir Medical Center for further treatment. He was staying in the hospital overnight for observation.

A later statement said one of his daughters, a guard and his driver were also among the injured, as was the driver of the other vehicle. Hebrew media reported that Ben Gvir and his daughter were not wearing seatbelts.

The 23-year-old driver of the other car told Ynet that he was suffering from severe pain throughout his body.

“I drove through a green light, and Ben Gvir’s entourage entered the junction on a red light,” he said. “I have no history of traffic infractions. My whole body hurts, and most likely I won’t be released from the hospital tonight. I still need to get scans done and it seems likely I have fractures in my ribs and my neck.”

Pictures from the scene showed the minister’s black official vehicle flipped over, while another car had a smashed-in front.

Police said they were investigating the cause of the crash. Hebrew media said Ben Gvir’s driver was being questioned under caution.

Ben Gvir’s office later claimed that his car ran the red light for operational reasons because he was “a threatened minister in a mixed [Arab and Jewish] city.”

Video footage taken from the dashcam of a vehicle at the scene of the accident shows Ben Gvir’s official vehicle running a red light.

The video shows the black sedan arriving at the junction and slowing almost to a complete stop at the red light. It then pushes into the intersection. The first vehicle it cuts across manages to brake in time to avoid hitting it, but a second car plows into the minister’s vehicle, causing it to overturn.

One of Ben Gvir’s accompanying security vehicles also followed him through the red light intersection but was not hit.

This is not the first time Ben Gvir’s official vehicle has been involved in a car accident.

In August last year, the hard-right minister was involved in another accident when his vehicle ran a red light while on the way to an interview.

According to a Haaretz report in September, the Shin Bet unit in charge of guarding public figures raised the issue with the Prime Minister’s Office and the National Security Ministry, after Ben Gvir’s bodyguards complained that the minister regularly ordered his drivers to commit traffic infractions, endangering not only his own life but those of his driver and bodyguards.

“He drives around like he’s the prime minister. There’s no chance he’ll sit around in traffic,” an unnamed source told Haaretz then. “This will end in disaster.”

According to the report, traffic infractions have been committed during journeys that were not emergencies, like driving to Knesset meetings and TV interviews.

Documents seen by Haaretz showed that Ben Gvir has frequently broken the law while behind the wheel himself.

Since he began driving in 2000, the minister has been caught running red lights, using his phone while driving, speeding, crossing solid white lines and driving without a seatbelt, among a long list of 78 infractions, the Kan public broadcaster revealed in September.

In response to Kan’s report, Ben Gvir claimed then that the Israel Police had compensated him with NIS 25,000 ($6,500) for wrongful arrests and that his infractions “became obsolete years ago.”

Ben Gvir has been indicted dozens of times, mostly for disturbing the peace during his time as a far-right activist, though he was exonerated in almost all the cases. The Jerusalem District Court in 2008 convicted him of incitement to racism and supporting a terror organization over a placard he held reading “Arabs out” following a Palestinian terror attack in Jerusalem and anti-Arab signs he had in his car that referred to the far-right Kach movement, a Jewish group that was banned as a terror organization.

In coalition talks with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, he demanded and received authority over the police after being elected to the Knesset in 2023, after running a campaign in which he promised to restore law and order.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You ever drive along the highway and think about how you're seconds from death the entire time

They call it the Highway of Death but that's all highways

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

They call it the Highway of Death but that's all highways

We chose

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

good call getting the baldest cop to hold the flag

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ShaykhSulaiman/status/1784299367563772133?t=4lUvD5OilZX38h9RjJ8hLg&s=19

https://twitter.com/NaksBilal/status/1783892403788607674?t=Y53FS3Z4Bs8KgaiDFnpJFQ&s=19

Cars really said DTI

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

tinting is so cool

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1784695433383801251

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

BONGHITZ posted:

tinting is so cool

that belgian detective?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
wow tinto brass is still alive

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Comments on a post where a guy racked up twenty‐five speeding tickets since January:

quote:

Guy drives through the area often, not knowing there were cameras, so he hasn't really had the "corrective" action happen to him until it all piled up until now.

I generally try to stick to the flow of traffic rather than the speed limit when I'm driving, which I realize isn't the greatest practice, but if I was getting hit by speed cameras and didn't know, I would also probably keep on keeping on, and rack up a shitload of citations as well.

Hopefully he doesn't end up on the hook for all of them, and going forward stops speeding.

quote:

quote:

I generally try to stick to the flow of traffic rather than the speed limit when I'm driving, which I realize isn't the greatest practice
No, that is the best practice.

SA is once again at the bleeding edge of Internet discourse. :smugdog:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the safest speed you can go is gunning it to 60 as soon as the light turns green so everyone in the neighborhood can hear your car coming, alerting them

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This thing has better QC than the Cybertruck

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1784980694407561650

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Saw a cyber truck on the road today for the first time, those things look and move like soapbox derby cars, which incidentally probably also have better QC. Terrifying.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Truck is not boat. :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hubbert posted:

Truck is not boat. :(

It’s a semi‐submersible.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It’s a semi‐submersible.

:haw:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BONGHITZ posted:

tinting is so cool
to be fair to tinting, it got to be big in the first place because black folks tinted their windows to avoid getting pulled over for driving while black. It's dumb otherwise, of course.

Apr 7, 2003

cat botherer posted:

to be fair to tinting, it got to be big in the first place because black folks tinted their windows to avoid getting pulled over for driving while black. It's dumb otherwise, of course.

It keeps you from getting melanoma on your window-side arm/face, that's actually a thing that happens over a lifetime of driving.

Also a good argument to stay out of the car I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I put on sunscreen before driving. I need it at my destination of touchable grasslands anyway.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

khazar sansculotte posted:

Saw a cyber truck on the road today for the first time, those things look and move like soapbox derby cars, which incidentally probably also have better QC. Terrifying.

Good eye, its literally just the optimal wind tunnel design from a 1990s dos game:

Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Good eye, its literally just the optimal wind tunnel design from a 1990s dos game:

Lol

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

God promised the driver that intersection

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Haim Bitcoin

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

cat botherer posted:

yes this is why it's important for white people to tint their windows too so that it's not just "window tinted? pull over the POC!"

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

tinting is awful, because as a cyclist or pedestrian, you can't make eye contact with the sociopath in there. i trolled a local reddit post saying as much, because no one regulates tinting here and got this nonsensical creepy reply:

"Meet me on main. I’ll make eye contact with ya buddy. I’ll even buy you some common sense."

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

yes this is why it's important for white people to tint their windows too so that it's not just "window tinted? pull over the POC!"
yep 100%. i've tinted my car windows in solidarity with the oppressed BIPOC folx in my marginalized community. it normalizes race relationships

plus that way people cant look at me vaping and posting inside

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I spend the bare minimum I can on my car for regular maintenance and try to spend as little time driving as possible, aftermarket enhancements are serious car brain poo poo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

I spend the bare minimum I can on my car for regular maintenance and try to spend as little time driving as possible, aftermarket enhancements are serious car brain poo poo

I like when people do the DIY tiny jobs and don’t bother to clean the windows first or whatever it is that makes them bubble all weird

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

I've seen so many wrapped teslas around, and they're never anything interesting like holograms or color changing vinyl, just not quite gloss, not quite matte, but a different color blue, $5k surcharge. There's at least a couple black wrapped cybertrucks driving around that opted for the $6k wrap which idk, feels like it defeats the purpose of the steel? It has no challenging corners or even door handles to deal with, you could get your kid to do it with a hair dryer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Heavily tinted windows are bad because it makes it difficult to vlog rants in the driver’s seat.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it was Uganda that made it illegal to have tinted windows

And I say, good for them

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Uganda hand it to them

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

Most people with heavily tinted windows are rear end in a top hat drivers who love the anonymity of driving around in a mystery box that no one can see inside.

They also often have obscured plates too. Either tinted or yellowing plate covers to make it hard identify the car as they speed or blast through red lights.

I’m in favor of impounding those cars on principle.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
any car with heavily tinted windows and tampered license plate i seen is some psychopath rear end in a top hat. it might have started as a thing for poc but now its the standard deal in coal rollers and speedsters

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Drivers should be forced to drive around with a big mugshot photo of themselves on every surface of the vehicle

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rauros posted:

tinting is awful, because as a cyclist or pedestrian, you can't make eye contact with the sociopath in there. i trolled a local reddit post saying as much, because no one regulates tinting here and got this nonsensical creepy reply:

"Meet me on main. I’ll make eye contact with ya buddy. I’ll even buy you some common sense."

Your mistake was trying to reason with car brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Most people with heavily tinted windows are rear end in a top hat drivers who love the anonymity of driving around in a mystery box that no one can see inside.

They also often have obscured plates too. Either tinted or yellowing plate covers to make it hard identify the car as they speed or blast through red lights.

I’m in favor of impounding those cars on principle.

Yeah intentionally obscured license plate should be some sort of extreme immediate penalty, but of course it'll never happen because half the people with obscured license plates are cops

Also this guy needs to receive the highest award NYC has to offer: https://youtu.be/W1J5nuA1QNs?si=BTfJg-OHmU4Rud5D

PittTheElder has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Apr 30, 2024