Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
cars freaking own. i getta go fast, a nice bubble of air conditioning, and helps me get to work on time. only noobs and rubes dont drive

it's beautiful, this is man in our peak human habitat. suck it all those art deco transhumanity turn of the century fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

miniscule12 posted:

so uh, i've been having sex with my car recently. it's something really new and exciting and I was busting the biggest loads of my life 2 weeks straight. I love the smell of the exhaust, but every time I waited for the muffler to cool down to do the deed.

well, this time I decided to play hot. I know I know you never gently caress the car hot. but loving the car hot... sounded so hot. And I thought as long as I don't touch the metal I'm fine (I have a small dick)

I hosed up, and my dick got soldered shut and I had to go to the hospital. luckily your dick heals the second fastest of all your body parts. so after a week I can finally pee out of the hole again.

i'm also circumcised now, so all in all cars are a land of contrasts.

have you tried a ménage-a-tryes-? nothing like the smell of four big wheels to get the ol piston pumpin'

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
cars are good and helps marginalized bipoc elderly, dementia patients, and disabled people get around safely. not everyone can figure out a bus timeschedule and its pretty ableist to hate cars

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mawarannahr posted:

ok but what if cars caused them to have dementia and be disabled

ps, we should hard cap speed limits to 40. if you disagree you’re suicidal and need therapy, imo

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/new-crash-tests-show-modest-speed-increases-can-have-deadly-consequences
no, speed limits are unconstitutional and racist. poor marginalized folk dont have time to leave for work early, they're too brow-beaten and if they clock in 1 minute late they get fired. so we gotta zoom fast to makeup for lost-time sitting too long at the last light. and elderly drivers with dementia cant read their spedometer very well and its' very ableist to punish them for that. speed limits should be abolished

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Minrad posted:

the only thing that might be worse than cars are the idiots driving them

this. everyone except for me is an idiot driver

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lobster shirt posted:

you're trapped in a subdivision where its like 5 miles to get to anything that isnt another house

but that's starring feature. it means poors arent nearby

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i dig the plotline of strapping primed-propane tanks/c4 to bikes with a dead-man switch

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

galagazombie posted:

Cars create actual spiritual and moral harm to society and push people towards reactionary political beliefs. The pervasiveness of cars is the sole enabler of Suburbia and Suburbia naturally creates an insular culture of selfishness by making it physically difficult to interact with other humans and form "communities" in the sociological sense. Everyone is literally separated from each other by massive property lots and all social spaces are removed from residential areas. There are no common shared areas and everyone is taught to treat his/her property as a fortress under siege that others must not be allowed to so much as walk through. The Suburbs are quite literally soul destroying. This was in fact a feature and not a bug, as Suburbia was encouraged specifically in order to trick a portion of the lower classes into thinking they were "self-reliant homesteaders" who mistakenly think they share class interests with the 1%.
correct post.

a whole lot of books have also been written on suburbia design, even the way garages are protruding menaces bulging out from the front with the front door recessed around it are intended to be uninviting and alienating

Geography of Nowhere was a pretty good one, although i think kunstler's brain has broken but in a chud-way and not cool way

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

raspurtin posted:

here's a recent video showing how driverless cars are currently on the road in Phoenix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjztvddhZmI.

autonomous vehicles will reduce the number of accidents and fatalities/injuries, but only if most or all cars are autonomous.

on the other hand, lol Phoenix. Wide suburban thoroughfares and clement weather. I'd like to see how they do in Boston in winter.

thanks for linking a waymo-propaganda video explaining how the self-driving car is just like a self-driving elevator. very helpful.

self-driving cars have been "right around the corner" since 2001 and the only self-driving car that's going to be right around the corner is one slamming into a ped

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

but i do think they are inevitable, and so does everyone who designs and builds cars

i don't. i think we'll see infrastructure and societal slow-quick climate-change collapse before any mass self-driving car that works 99.98% of the time. also a lot of places have bad roads, very complex intersections, and jam-packed streets where you gotta be aggressive if you want to get anywhere or else you'll just be sitting at the same light watching it turn green-red for 20 minute straight without being able to go unless you just gun it; or being aggressive in getting over to take an exit in jam-packed traffic (or hope someone is nice to your fancy techy self-driving car).

sure phoenix where there's 10000 sf of asphalt per person on mega-wide 8 lane thoroughfares without any weather everywhere might, but dc/la/portland/seattle/sf/nyc/boston lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ardennes posted:

I mean a bunch of proponents of autonomous cars are quite vocal about literally defunding public transit further since it would be "redundant."

https://sf.streetsblog.org/2015/03/10/fantasizing-about-self-driving-cars-sunnyvale-opposes-el-camino-bus-lanes/

quote:

he Sunnyvale City Council voted 4-3 last month to oppose dedicated bus lanes that could cut transit riders’ trips nearly in half along the length of El Camino Real, making bus trips almost as quick as driving. More than one council member said the city shouldn’t invest in transit because self-driving cars are going to make it irrelevant.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
for every car you don't drive, im going to drive three

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
just bought a new tacoma, its so mean looking i love it. pedestrians get turned into spätzle

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I'm about to head out on a 3 day bike trip in a couple of minutes. If some car driving gently caress head runs me over I want my last post to be in this thread

o7

i shall always remember your blueberry rock candy made in a cargo container florida, your life shall life on in lipid cells developed 10 years ago within my body. goonspeed good sir and come back with thicc thighs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
taking cats off beater cars is praxis bc it'll encourage them to take the bus since they cant replace it and thus lower emissions, and then someone else gets $100 in scrap metal money. win/win all around imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lol, i can just about guarantee that they won't be taking the bus if they weren't already before, now they're just driving a stupid loud shitbox dumping unburnt fuel and volatile nitrogen compounds into open atmosphere :waycool:

okay you've got a point, but that also sounds like praxis

up until smog recert time anyways. then ????? idk maybe a means-tested low-rate loan program to get it replaced? or what if we do another cash4clunkers program so they can turn it into $1500 afterwards when smog cert comes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

honestly, respect o7

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

modern light rail sucks so bad. austin's line is an absolute joke

you should see san jose. VTA is so loving lol. its slower than biking/walking because it can only run at like 10 MPH and stops constantly at every light even though it has it's own ROW. and so predictable no one really uses it and it was stillborn and hasn't really changed so they've been funneling to more bus lines.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
cars help senile olde people get to the grocery store and ensures large dogs get to work on time, so whose to say if they're good or bad.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
my city has been doing a bunch of parklets for restaurants and all the landed gentry boomers get steamed up into a furious fit of rage everytime it happens because downtown is losing all it's parking!!

(*nevermind the new 5-story garage they just built at great expense that no one uses)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

There's a garage here that is free after 5pm and within 1-3 blocks of basically the entire downtown but every time I use it it's almost entirely empty lmao. There's been a couple changes to the downtown here to make it more friendly to non-cars and predictably there's people going mental about this war on cars, but it's been a hard campaign because the thing about closing off big chunks of downtown to cars to turn it into outdoor dining and more room to walk around is that it's EXTREMELY popular once implemented
ours is $1 for the first hour and even a $5-flat rate for evening parking. but street parking becomes free after 6pm even though it's not worth the hassle and everyone rages when they take out a few spots. it has 720 loving spots and mostly empty

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

wtf is congestion pricing
tolls but only during rush hours

it means u price da poors out so only rich maserrati drivers can plow through pedestrians without having to worry about traffic because paying $40 for a congestion toll isn't even a rounding error

tbf out of all the us cities "planning" that poo poo, nyc is the only one that actually makes any sense because you can take transit anywhere and there's peripheral parking on transit hubs. but they should abolish driving entirely

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Sep 21, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

tolls where, like on bridges/tunnels, so if you stay in your borough(s) you’re basically fine? or just random streets?

implementation varies. usually it's travelling through neighborhoods/districts/areas at various license-plate-billing-tracking systems (like fastrak or ezpass or w/e) point of entries and exits because that's the cheapest place to put as minimum as possible, but can sometimes specific streets even just one street, or all* the streets.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
we should abolish all tolls, gas taxes, car taxes, and subsidize gas and cars so poor people can get to work on time

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

posting europe is just straight up cheating

theres a lot of fuckin' problems but god i love it there. i feel like im in straight up heaven when i'm there compared to america hell.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
extremely felt

my 2-month study abroad in rome studying structural engineering while loving around was the happiest time in my entire life, and will in-all-likelihood remain so. just being able to walk everywhere (and there's so much stuff to see/do while on said walk) or hop on the a-line if you really needed to be somewhere quick owned so hard. i technically live in one of the more favorable "walkable / transit" cities in america and it still sucks rear end.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
passing in the right lane is praxis

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lanes, like the concepts of "race" and "nations", are an ideological construct devised b ythe bourgeoise to oppress the commoner, and i urge all true leftists to completely and totally ignore them

hell yeah. this. lanes are just an expression of authoritarianism

for example, the right lane is often the fastest to drive on, and most reliable to pass with, whereas everyone else is stuck going 45 in the left lane. why is that? simple, elites have told you be fearful of newcomers, and have told the proles to go slow so they can go fast. i say rise up and take back the right lane.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:05 on Sep 28, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

vyelkin posted:

ban cars
woah now, don't be hasty. can we come to a compromise

what if we ban people

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
vespas are the the pinnacle of human transportation.

also very fuckable unlike a ford which is an incel

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Do rubber fumes from tires count as plant particulates

they’re virtually all synthetic based now so no

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Be specific. "Who" took these from us?

i did. and i';m not sorry about it bitch

*zooms off*

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Nocturtle posted:

Lol as if the average person has a clue how their computer or smart phone or fiber internet connection really works, guess they can't use any of those.

You know what's easy to understand? How to ride a streetcar.

i mean the one key difference is those aren't life-threatening (unless you're a goon) and not responsible for possibly killing a bus of children because you don't know how to tighten down a replacement tire or check the oil and engine siezes up with 4000 lbs of plastic and steel going 1/10th the speed of sound taking out cars like a bowling ball in an bowling pin factory. knowing some basics is fairly important.

but yes, also destroy cars and bring back trams

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, the prices nowadays at Costco aren’t worth it when you factor in the membership fees unless you really want to go nuts. There is only so much soap and toilet paper you are going to buy a year.
they have certianly been pushing smaller-quantity organic keto paleo marked up poo poo big time and other high-end poo poo. it's still worth it to split a membership (or mooch off one), especially if you have a family of 3+. like you still save a lot/get much better quality than buying rolls of TP/PT/Soap/Cheese/Flour/Sugar/Bags of Rice/Pallet of Coconut Milk-tomato paste-sauce-etc at target/grocers.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

trying to find that picture that shows an early 1990s ford ranger vs a current f150

the ford ranger at that time was actually a reasonably sized truck

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Minrad posted:

are there ever train jams
yes, but mostly only when cars are involved

sometiems underground trains back up when there's a problem ahead

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mayor Dave posted:

Had to drive to a work event last week and I got into an accident, loving hate cars my neck is so sore

you need a bigger car so you can not even feel an accident when you plow through/runover whatever

makes driving a lot smoother

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dolphin posted:

and it's easier and cheaper to just make a big fuckoff truck with low mpgs and pass the cost on to the consumer and americans don't give a gently caress because they're dumber than dogshit
lol

i would also say americans are not just dumb as poo poo, but they absolutely love it. big = safer.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vomik posted:

i think a 2021 f150 has way better mpg than a 1996 ford ranger

oh yeah it does 5 more mpg. in fact that v8 96 ford ranger gets worse mpg than a raptor

not exactly. the actual typical driven mpg of modern f150's ends up being closer to 18 mpg, which is about the same (or possibly even worse) than real world mpg on like say a 1983 ranger. although on paper/ideally it is better and certainly more 'powerful' for what you get per gallon.

they weight about +2000 lbs more and have larger drag, so make a 1980s-sized ranger with modern tech design and you'd get way way more mpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

And also the same bed-size. Literally the sole reason for trucks to exist, wasted to make giant monstrosities that never do anything a truck is supposed to do. loving idiot government refusing to govern over the past 30 years.

this. i kind of wanted a used truck for work since i do a lot of infiltration test, borings, and other poo poo that would be way easier to throw in a bed than gently caress up our a hatchback. and something small and narrow that i can maneuver and parallel park in tight rear end spots easily. but all the trucks nmnow are like loving wide lifted-expeditions SUVs with a small bed attached and it's just absurdly stupid. gimme the tiniest loving cab possible, a small 2-seater bench seat with nothing behind it, narrow as possible, and a normal 80s-length bed and that'd be perfect.