Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Rockstar Massacre posted:

actually, pretending that stricter traffic enforcement can save lives feeds narratives that systemic reform can be ignored in favor of greater personal responsibility, an excuse city engineers and state legislators have been using for years to not take meaningful action on traffic reform.

100% agree. Can I get some help scraping grandparent blood off my hood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

I've seen so many posts like this, and just did some research on my shithole hometown to gauge how much has been lost to cars. Just found out about a big park with multiple trollies and rail lines which would run from neighboring towns and cities:

My town was once one of a million little 2-3 town sized RR companies who were connected to the main lines and were locally expanding through 1910. Sometime after that the Pennsylvania RR came into control of most of them and today there's a NS line that doesn't stop a half hour out of town.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

How about instead of banning cars we just put the FAA in charge. Every new car you buy requires a new type certification. (real) yearly inspections, repair logs, the whole deal.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Can we at least hold them to trucker standards? Logbooks and get randomly pulled over for inspections? We can put the excessive fines towards your hyperloop idea.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I was searching for a multi-car accident news story to see if anyone died before I posted it here. Used the terms Multi-Car pileup LA and lol there's just so many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9yqXzZ16ns
Linked because of the unknown status of a few people.

The thread might appreciate this one out of the too many pileups to sort through.

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/crime_police/article_59e0b426-53e5-11ec-a0dd-5b72ae4dde09.html posted:

Multiple people were injured in a five-car crash in Lafayette Thursday night that was the result of a police chase of a driver who stole a vehicle in Duson, authorities said.
No other details about the crash were immediately available.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

If you're over the age of ~21 and have a fart can on your car we should legally be required to punch you in the face.

This concludes my rant.

E: Flowmasters are also fart cans, I don't care that they overcharged you for it.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Let's keep some perspective here, that truck was easily worth $75k before we chased it down.

quote:

Officials say the suspects actually left their car behind, and it flipped over and injured one of the responding officers. He suffered minor injuries but will still seek medical assistance.

Timeline of events:
1. Suspect flees on foot.
2. Officer approaches truck.
3. Truck flips over in epic defensive maneuver.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

all bikes are good but a ~tax credit~ for a bike that's 5x expensive as it needs to be because americans are exceptionally lazy is exactly what one would expect from our very in touch leaders

bicycle to ride to work or whatever that lasts forever: $500 for a p dece one
bicycle to ride to work or whatever with a giant battery that lasts 5 years maybe: $3000

some of those terrible commie nightmare countries give you like 1k for a bike and accessories every year or so

There are a bunch of decent ebikes in the $1,000-$2,000 range, but they’re also not exactly stylish, or powerful, nor do they come with a lot of Schwinn and Shimano accessories.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

depending on the stipulations 1/3rd off isn’t terrible, but it’s going to work out as a wash if you’re required to buy USA made. I don’t even know who makes an electric bike in the USA.

ebikes=bicycle in my posts. everything else is mopeds

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

"I have a vacation cabin in the country, so I need a car"

"I bought a house in the country because I can work remotely, so I need a car."

"I want to retire in the country, so I'll need a car."

"Land was cheaper outside the suburbs, so we could build a bigger house.... so we need a car."

I'm not trying to be too down on people who choose to live in rural places, but the car can subsidize unsustainable lifestyles there similar to how it does in the suburbs.

You don't actually need a car to live in the rural, but few are willing to commit to the bit.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Sliding down the sidewalks to the grocery store and I start imagining a world with some sort of city service, paid for with taxes, that stocked supplies and went around clearing rights of way after snowstorms.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It's called freedom, maybe you should look it up sometime.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

It's apparently less taps to launch "theater" and "arcade" than it is to turn on your loving windshield wipers lol

https://twitter.com/vecchitto/status/1478070396792590337?t=dOJJkgTOt-Yuc-iTiSUoqw&s=19

*software engineer in the bay area

"what's the defroster for?"

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

e: and marines

That's what the Osprey is for.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Link for ridiculous size
https://www.chinadiscovery.com/assets/images/chengdu/guide/chengdu-metro-map-full.jpg

The 2nd line had just opened up when I last knew 5 years ago.

'The Plan'

Big https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Chengdu_Metro_Planning.svg

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Jan 9, 2022

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It's funny because I can't imagine someone who takes their tough guy persona seriously would proudly drive a #predator#Durango.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

indigi posted:

yeah if you need a nap in the middle of a seated noncontinuous ten hour task maybe you have a sleep disorder

If meth is good enough for truckers it’s good enough for a goon.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I can appreciate the engineering that goes into an internal combustion engine, but I can’t appreciate the engineering that goes into stuffing one into a mustang, for example.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Don’t let the customers fool you like that, they really want the Escalade but are poor enough that the bank won’t let them be $100k in debt.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just buy a Kryptonite lock, it's basically bike insurance. They cover up to $5k with the New York locks.

Just regular renters insurance bought my neighbor a new e-bike. Probably more reliable than the bike lock company.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I feel like maybe a public policy of "if someone throws a water bottle at you, please feel free to fire off 11 bullets on a freeway in the name of self-defense" creates some perverse incentives.

Water bottles have been declared weapons by my local police, so this checks out.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

idk why but it finally clicked for me the other day that the reason Americans express distance as a measure of time (ie "it's about two hours away") is because the method of transportation is always assumed to be car. if you are traveling anywhere, it is assumed you will be traveling there the same way everyone else will - by car.

BECAUSE WHY WALK WHEN IT'S JUST A FIVE MINUTE DRIVE, JUST TAKE FIVE MINUTES AND POP DOWN THERE AND A QUICK FIVE MINUTES BACK

I see you’ve stumbled upon the freedom argument.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

PeterCat posted:

There's a museum in Phoenix to the trolley car system they removed.

https://www.phxtrolley.org/

I saw “yard activation project” and my dreams were immediately dashed once I read the project was to turn their streetcars into a cafe attraction.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

[CSPAM] - I hate specific cars: some of these automobiles are everywhere

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I misread a thing, pretend I said “Grrr, cars”

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

That speaks to me. I recently made the very hard (for me) decision to stay in this god awful city for a bit longer instead of buying a cabin out on some hill.

The cost of the commute, fuel and wear and tear, would about equal my current rent.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

RE: Left lane speeding.

Elevators aren’t roads, but here’s a study that shows a ~30% increase in throughput on an escalator by getting people to use both sides instead of staying right to let walkers up.

Lines up pretty well to the car conversation, especially this part:

quote:

5.2 Customer Feedback
5.2.1 Customer Contact Centre and Email
Six customers gave feedback received via the Customer Contact Centre and seven customers from other sources (e.g. phone or direct email). Recurring themes were that the tests would not work (to relieve congestion); people feel deprived of the choice to walk and/or exercise; and that it delays their journey. Three customers understood and supported the tests, but felt that the choice to walk up at least one escalator should remain.

https://liftsymposium.org/download/LiftandEscalatorSymposiumProceedings2016.pdf

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I demand the right to hold up the party because I’m in a hurry.

E: Quote != Edit.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This reminds me, you should always wear reflective clothing when you're walking somewhere. Consider waving a bright colored flag when in a crosswalk. And always make eye contact with drivers when you cross the street!

related, does anyone have a good recommendation for an obnoxiously bright flashlight with a random interval flash mode? I have to cross a 4 lane road with a median divider before dawn and find a lot of inattentive drivers.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is there some sort of whoopie cushion device I could attach to my tailpipe? I'd be so popular.

https://youtu.be/FYRFQk2PjO8

VV- Well, was the bird crossing the road at an approved pedestrian crossing?! -VV

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

They, themselves, are just that important OP.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 15:28 on Feb 19, 2022

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

also bikes above 1000W (750 for a bunch of places)

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

250W in a large chunk of the world (I think 300W in Aus and NZ?), also a 25 kph speed limit in most places. Heavens forbid a bicycle with a motor be able to go as fast as I can ride my bike without the motor! Perish the thought of a cargo bicycle having a motor powerful enough to haul a load of groceries up a steep hill, think of the carnage that could result in. Far better to have a very SAFE 2000 kg vehicle with 250,000 W of power to carry one person to and from the shops or work 99% of the time.

Can’t even register my over-1000W ebike as a moped, I could if I stuck a 50cc gas motor on it though.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

instructions unclear, used all the train tracks for tank traps.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2101084119

quote:

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) specifies the use of biofuels in the United States and thereby guides nearly half of all global biofuel production, yet outcomes of this keystone climate and environmental regulation remain unclear. Here we combine econometric analyses, land use observations, and biophysical models to estimate the realized effects of the RFS in aggregate and down to the scale of individual agricultural fields across the United States. We find that the RFS increased corn prices by 30% and the prices of other crops by 20%, which, in turn, expanded US corn cultivation by 2.8 Mha (8.7%) and total cropland by 2.1 Mha (2.4%) in the years following policy enactment (2008 to 2016). These changes increased annual nationwide fertilizer use by 3 to 8%, increased water quality degradants by 3 to 5%, and caused enough domestic land use change emissions such that the carbon intensity of corn ethanol produced under the RFS is no less than gasoline and likely at least 24% higher. These tradeoffs must be weighed alongside the benefits of biofuels as decision-makers consider the future of renewable energy policies and the potential for fuels like corn ethanol to meet climate mitigation goals.

I don't think anyone here is going to be surprised by this study.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Nitevision posted:

Seattle, home of the Climate Pledge Arena, tore down a highway along the waterfront and spent $4 billion to replace it with a giant car tunnel under downtown. And then just also built a new high speed stroad along the waterfront. Lets loving go!!!!!

https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1500988759382233092?s=20

https://twitter.com/MikeLindblom/status/1500934489685385217?s=20

They dug a 5 billion dollar tunnel that bypasses that whole area, the port wanted a redundant route and truckers hate paying tolls.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Lilium Dimension posted:

I also like cars, and I enjoy driving mine, but their existence has warped our cities and towns into paved nightmares. I'd gladly give mine up if it meant I could live in a carless city.

Yes, I press the button.

I would willingly cube my new compact car if I could trade it for some moderately good rail alternatives.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

As it is the cops here don’t enforce traffic laws at all anymore and every time I go out I see speed racer stuff. Last Saturday I saw some guy in a Charger shoot right across two lanes of traffic to use an on ramp + gore zone to pass at high speed. Would be nice if we didn’t sell people 400 horsepower cars to do that poo poo.

My favorites are the ones who dip across 4 lanes of traffic to gain 1 car length of distance.

Suplex Liberace posted:

I wish every car and truck and SUV and whatever other genre of car was dead!!

debated this the other day, and the answer that came up was vans. need to move some poo poo? van. Need to move poo poo by 4x4? van. need to haul 12 of your closest friends? van.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 03:27 on May 1, 2022

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I appreciate the big paragraph about how cars suck, all you really need to do is spend an hour in your car to go six miles in normal traffic when you’re not used to doing that, it really makes me want to kill myself.

I could not imagine spending three hours a day of my life, every day, sitting in traffic. What a loving waste. Imagine retiring and realizing at 65 years old that you’ve spent four years of your life just sitting in your car driving to and from work.

I did this for about a year, not the sitting in traffic part but the driving 2.5 hours each way to work part as a 20 something. Never again. in my defense, the town I drove from had long since lost nearly all of its industry.

Pitts related, miles long traffic jams through the squirrel hill tunnel on game days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

guess I can just go hang out at Sheetz for five hours

You're supposed to use one of those chargers at the mall, and spend money while you wait.