Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That guy is wearing a tshirt :stare:

If he hit something the clean up crew would have to soak him up with a sponge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
*checks wing mirror*

Haha gottem, that pram was full of shoplifted chopped tomatoes

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I would like to hear the wild story

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If I wanted to cross the street I would simply drive across

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Before long you'll be able to get where you want to go by climbing into your truck and then climbing back out the passenger side

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Speaking of GTA, back when I played GTA V i used to like driving around to my missions sensibly and it absolutely wound me the gently caress up when one of the AI cars suddenly changed lanes without signalling and bumped into mine

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Not gonna let a sign tell me what I can and can't do. What, does it think it's better than me??

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

mawarannahr posted:

I love it when the drivers get mad

(pretend I posted the funny speed bump video)

gimme

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

mystes posted:

A "beg button" is just any button that triggers a walk signal. HAWK signals are different from normal traffic lights with walk signals in how the lights function for drivers because instead of showing drivers a solid red signal for a longer period and then going immediately to green, they have a shorter solid red phase followed by a blinking red phase, and then go back to green.

The reason engineers like them is (I guess?) because the cars are supposed to be able to proceed through the blinking red phase if no pedestrians are present so it slows traffic down less than it would if there was a solid longer phase at the end of which cars are waiting despite pedestrians having already crossed.

The UK has had these for years. Green goes to amber then to red, then to flashing amber which is "cars can go if the pedestrians have finished crossing". We don't call them silly names like HAWKs though, we call them the entirely sensible Pelican crossing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tiggum posted:

Is that actually the rule in America or, like here, just what people think the rule is? How does one "prepare to stop"? What would that even mean? Yellow means "stop", red means "wait".

[url=https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/a-to-z-of-road-rules/traffic-controls-at-intersections]

My guess is "prepare to stop" means have your foot hovering over the brake (maybe even touching it gently to get your brake lights on)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Professor Beetus posted:

for real, I wonder if there's mods out there that increase traffic density. I'm one of those weirdos that likes to chill out and drive while following traffic laws playing GTA so this sounds right up my alley.

i knew it, i knew i wasn't the only one

Microplastics posted:

Speaking of GTA, back when I played GTA V i used to like driving around to my missions sensibly and it absolutely wound me the gently caress up when one of the AI cars suddenly changed lanes without signalling and bumped into mine

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It is always okay for pedestrians to violate the road rules, because the road rightfully belongs to them. Cars are intruders

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Weka put that sign up

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

https://youtu.be/1h7HpSHcHWE?si=TEOi0jugT15SLMJE

This has probably already been posted like 1000 times but I can't be assed to check. It's a horror game where cars try to run you over while you try to walk home. Skip to like 5 mins in for terrifying content.

E: pretty satisfying when the player jumps behind a bollard tho.

Lmao that sounds fantastic, definitely gonna look into this

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
That'sa lotta car words

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The seats come pre-installed

Idiot

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The bicycle was clearly impaled by a flagstaff thrown by an angry truck driver

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
What I want is a kindly police-man with a whistle stood in the middle of the intersection directing traffic and winking at the motorists as they go past

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

FirstnameLastname posted:

i haven't checked but from all my experiences with those things they probably cause more accidents than they prevent since people running reds and actually getting into accidents in the process generally aren't even aware they're going through an intersection bc drugs/phone or they're panicked running from cops & not gonna slow down

like, the people who cut intersections to get through traffic & people entering at speed like right as it turns red but before anyone's moving in the other dir are pretty much a different problem altogether where if it's frequently happening in one place the problem is the intersection timing & a light camera will just make people go faster and cut it closer - they make people drive so bad

timed interval intersections are stupid as gently caress to have altogether when people don't know what they're doing it encourages the rapid start/stop drag racing between lights that causes most problems in heavy traffic

https://twitter.com/Very__Regular/status/1770092614953423145

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's because homeless people lived there op

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

God Hole posted:

fondly recalling an evergreen post of mine from a few years back

e: in response to this bitch

:nms:

:nms:

Well that's absolutely horrible.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
They should park their cars in the bin

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Smythe posted:

been a long time since I seen a bumble bee

Have you checked the tarmac?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I see bumble bees, flying around like regular bees. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're bumble

I see them all the time

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Zodium posted:

i'm spoken for, but there is room in my heart for bumblebees

That's a terrible place to keep bees

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have called two different traffic hotlines to report a broken crosswalk signal. Asked both "is this the place to report this?" and both said "you can, I guess." Starting to think there's no real mechanism to get this fixed.

Tell them the broken crosswalk signal keeps stopping traffic for no reason and they'll send the national guard and batman

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Cargi B? Really?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

heated game moment posted:

I just walk places

Like, to your car? Is it parked far away or something?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

mystes posted:

por que no los dos

porque you can't love bikes and also hate everything

Don't make me draw a Venn diagram

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

webcams for christ posted:

AI image. but not that far off from reality

A really impressive AI image if so; it's managed to get all the cars facing the correct way and stay in their lanes. I'd have guessed photoshop

Anyway I had a look at google maps and there's nowhere on Katy Freeway that wide so if it is real, it must be somewhere else I think

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I spent far too long googling it and it turns out it is indeed a fake image. Trap sprung, I guess, but I had to know for sure

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

fermun posted:

idk why this guy is reposting this, but this was a waymo robotaxi that on lunar new year went down a street in chinatown that was supposed to be closed to through traffic for the night except to pedestrians and got stuck because people were walking around the street so a bunch of people broke open the windows with their skateboards then people tossed fireworks inside and it caught fire and died. rip in piss.

This should be the standard punishment for a car that's going somewhere it doesn't belong

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Sins of the Driver

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

my bony fealty posted:

this is true, they should show realistic activities like driving the truck through chik-fil-a and picking up your wife's boyfriend's kid from school

Things you'll actually use it for, like washing it on the driveway and hoping a neighbour walks past so you can give them a knowing nod

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Road Dahl

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

spacemang_spliff posted:

bikes are woke

That's right