Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Sadly all my city is willing to put up are either the plastic paddles that don't stop anything and get torn off after a year or a small concrete step that a car can cross easily but a bike can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lobster shirt posted:

what kind of dumbass gets out of a truck to chase down someone on a bicycle lol

Toronto's drivers keep driving into streetcar tunnels, streetcars themselves, and construction sites, so they're not the brightest to begin with.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
No way, that's dangerous, just drive to the other side of the road.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Junkozeyne posted:

If by street cars they means light rail why would you get rid of them in order to get more buses, they are superior in every way but cost (both money and intial effort)

The bus is a relative of the car, so it's alright. Trains and (even worse) bicycles are products of communism and must be destroyed at every possibility.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm always referencing Philadelphia, but there are actually blocks so narrow that you must park half on the street, half on the sidewalk. The taxonomy is

2 way traffic, street parking both sides
1 way traffic, street parking both sides
1 way traffic, street parking one side
1 way traffic, street/sidewalk parking one side
No street parking at all, too narrow for most vehicles, sometimes there's garages

A lot of the major downtown streets in Toronto are four lanes, except one per side is used for parking and the other is constantly clogged by people trying to parallel park into the parking.

Naturally our traffic is bad because some of the roads eke out a few inches for a bike lane and not for any other reason.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The SA Forums > CSPAM > the sidewalk is for cars

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
All of our cops live outside of the city and drive to work, making the chance of them ticketing a driver essentially zero. Also the traffic unit was disbanded so now collisions are at a record high but tickets written are at a record low.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
They should paint a little car icon on the bollard every time this happens.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

mila kunis posted:

i was driving through indiana and experienced this once. long car line up in the drive through, i just parked and went in to get some coffee. done in 2 minutes. just cannot fathom why no one else was doing this

Leave your car? Become a *spits* pedestrian??

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

God Hole posted:

I know more than a few slavs who've had a Lada in their family for generations, driven daily on some of the worst roads in the world and held together entirely with "tape and paper clips"

I learned to drive on a 2109 without a speedometer, airbags, or seat belts, and I turned out fine.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bobstar posted:

Before I moved here I was walking down a street in Amsterdam when I heard a CRUNCH behind me. A car had turned across the path of a tram, and lost.

I also see the occasional RAM, mainly in the Dutch bible belt area, and they are stupidly big and have to have silly narrow number plates because the Dutch ones are wider than the space for them.

Cars here periodically fight streetcars, unfortunately sometimes they bounce off the streetcar and hit cyclists.

Edit: looked up the instance I had in mind, the driver was charged with "start from stopped position not in safety", which is a fine of $85-150 and two demerit points. Seems like a pretty good deal for killing someone.

Ensign Expendable has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Nov 11, 2022

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

I wonder what the explanation is for drivers here constantly crashing into red and white ambulances, streetcars, and Shoppers Drug Marts.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Our cars just got slightly deadlier. https://www.blogto.com/tech/2022/11/tesla-unlock-fsd-toronto-full-self-driving-downtown/

Can't wait for the punishment for killing people to drop from a nominal fee to nothing at all when they blame the computer.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's no Firefly, but

The entire thing weighs about a ton, so you could stick it in the back of a higher end F150. The 17-pounder weighed 3 tons, so you'd need an F350 for that. You might want to cook up some kind of spade for the recoil, but you can definitely build a WW2 era anti-tank technical from a modern truck.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Get a Ferdinand and claim it's a hybrid.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

For some reason this doesn't stop small business owners from fighting bike lane and patio installation tooth and nail.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Car rights > pedestrian rights. Pedestrians are the lowest of the low. Untermensch. Weirdly enough in Texas, gun rights > car rights, so there are a few recent cases of cars trying to murder pedestrians and cyclists, and the pedestrian lights up the car. In every case I read, the driver was arrested. I think the shooter called the cops first or something. Very normal that I should carry a gun to go for a stroll.

Sadly in Toronto the only thing that has more rights than a car is the statue of Ted Rogers.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Yeah but what if I really want to/it's just for a few minutes/I have my hazards on?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
In case you were worried you were hitting rock bottom, I just saw someone on Reddit asking if there's a counterpart to r/fuckcars that's pro cars.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lobster shirt posted:

are the various car hobbyist subs not pro car enough?

Presumably those don't actively oppose pedestrian and cyclist infrastructure.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

quote:

Unfortunately a lot of our streets aren't wide enough for the amount of cars to park

Normal person: I guess I won't put things where there's not enough room for them
Person with car brain: I'm going to park regardless and make it everyone else's problem

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My city has "bike lanes" where it's just a small sign on what otherwise is a highway. Sometimes there isn't even a sign and the "lane" only exists in a press release.

My money is on a non-separated gutter though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Jorp will explode if he ever learns about zoning.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I thought that "influencer buys sports car and destroys it instantly" was a whole genre of videos.

The guy definitely tried to play chicken with the cyclists, except he's an idiot that doesn't know how his own car works.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

That's pretty cool. It's the evolution of sump breakers, a bump in the road that's high enough for a bus to clear but will destroy the oil pan on most cars. I'm guessing sump breakers don't work too well in the age of lifted trucks and SUVs, but this bus ditch should work well.

edit: Someone in those apartments needs to stick a camera out their window and start a Youtube channel.

Wouldn't the trucks and SUVs be able to clear the bus pit anyway?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Pedestrians may often be imperfect and lovely humans but, from an urban planning perspective, there should be recognition that they are simply unarmored cylinders of meat and goo, and should be protected from any conveyances made of metal or other materials, and allowed to transit the built environment, freely, and safe

Give full plate armour for all pedestrians, maybe drivers will be less willing to run us over if they risk getting a gauntlet through the windshield.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
No longer content with hitting people directly, drivers are now scoring combos.

CBC.ca: Light pole knocked down by delivery truck hits woman, leaving her with critical injuries.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrian-light-pole-critical-injuries-1.6706766

Mister Speaker posted:

Admittedly I don't take public transit often, but at least in my neighbourhood I'm actually kind of impressed with the new streetcars' 'do not pass, doors are open/ing' warnings/lights.

(For those not from around here, that's the Spadina car which is almost always completely separated from traffic by the boarding island seen in the pic; most streetcar routes are not like this and you have to cross one or two lanes of traffic to get to the sidewalk. The text and warning sign light up when the doors are opening, along with flashing LED strips along the side of the vehicle. The old streetcars simply had a warning sticker in the back window.)

I still always stick my head out and check because I've been nearly hit by drivers and cyclists a handful of times before. But almost every time I have in the past couple of years, I'm surprised to see a car actually just sitting there by the rear of the streetcar.

I still miss the old CLRV streetcars though :(

Drivers don't give a poo poo, I live above a streetcar stop and the evenings are a non-stop cacophony of streetcars laying it on at drivers racing to do a right turn through some passengers.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Great angst for cyclists: people keep dying
Great angst for drivers: nowhere to park

Truly these are the same.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Our carbrained city is fighting to remove existing bike lanes now. https://cyclingmagazine.ca/advocacy/the-toronto-anti-bike-community-is-pushing-hard-to-get-lanes-removed/

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Some brain genius managed to flip a car in rush hour traffic downtown.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Play with sound.

https://i.imgur.com/XsmzcWq.mp4

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
https://globalnews.ca/news/9429949/2018-parkside-drive-fatal-crash-driver-sentence

quote:

Justice of the peace Donald W. Buchanan of the Ontario court of justice said Anderson, who is now 27, will have to live with bad memories for the rest of his life and remember the harm and devastation he’s caused.

BMW driver sentenced to bad vibes for killing a person.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

The five people in the other F150, assuming they were still alive

You just get a F250 to stay ahead of the safety curve.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1620857487237971968

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
In Ontario bicycles are legally vehicles so they get to go on the road, sharrows or no sharrows. I don't think this was mentioned even once during my driver's ed though!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

Something that still really grinds my gears (to use an automotive metaphor) is people on cellphones while driving. I just went across the street to the dispensary and when I was about 50 feet from the curb, this driver in a Land Rover swung around for a right turn definitely driving up onto the sidewalk and sped off past me. Wouldn't you know it, she had a phone in her hand about a foot from her face. If I hadn't forgot my mask and gone back into my apartment to put one on, she might have hit me. I had a smoke on my way back in and counted another few drivers paying attention to their phones while passing by.

Like, remember when this was a new thing, how people were talking about writing distracted driving laws to cover phone use? And now 25 years later everyone's got one mounted to their dashboard, ostensibly 'for GPS' but still. Or they're just brazenly one-handing it because this call just can't wait and clearly needs their undivided attention.

Just like everything else in this stupid loving world, we lost. The idiots and assholes won.

Just say it was a "momentary and isolated lapse of attention" and then it's cool if you hit a pedestrian or whatever. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/siu-clears-tps-officer-1.6745939

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

no no, even that is a concession you absolutely don't have to make. just say the pedestrian came out of nowhere, imply - or even state - that they were crossing against the signal and might have been looking at their phone, and you're totally good to go. cops and media and the law will do the rest

You don't have to say it, they'll say it for you even in the same article that says you're not paying attention.

quote:

Perhaps the elements had played a role [in the inability of the officer to see the woman]

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1276444314676191234?t=IyezLKtGoUpMzt4-vXEEhw&s=19

A cop with a good take???

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

the traffic cops enemy is the car. in this we are brothers but only in this

Traffic cops work to protect drivers, any benefit to other road users is accidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
"But what about emergency vehicles" is a common rallying cry against any kind of traffic improvement here too, despite no evidence that bike lanes or speed bumps make emergency vehicles less effective.