Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

oh mid-70s tract house? not bad, not really a banger or anything, but how many joists you got up in that bad boy?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

connect the trams with a new tram in all cases, obviously

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

frivolously overtransported

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Or you could always have little low-priced markets all over the place with actual edible food in them (think bodegas but useful).

On weird things about the states, and car culture has to be part of it, is that convenience store just pretty much have junk food and booze in them.

Also, American supermarkets are mostly nonsense and the actual food in them could be condensed into a place about 1/4th the size.

I think I see a viable middle ground: build all shops into extra-large trams

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

if you do that how are people going to be able to buy food and goods, they’re all on the trams now

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Grocery shopping in America is such a pain. People buy in bulk because they're overworked with no time and because every grocery trip is an across-town ordeal. Stopping by the corner store to pick up a few things is bliss and much easier to do on transit than our typical once-weekly Costco trips.

no you don’t understand, I’ve already eliminated Costco and put all shops onto large trams, which are moving on routes that connect other tram lines

it’s too late to stop progress

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

it's pathetic, that the bottom pic isn't the absolute minimum standard for every street in america

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

suggesting “rofl just bury it” over and over about transit at a minimum showcases a lack of familiarity with digging in established environments which is at least comically abject but very likely to be studied ignorance

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

indigi posted:

then put those ones in the sky. I gave two options

oh wild I wonder if the exact same post with minimal changes would apply equally to this

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

indigi posted:

it wouldn’t

why not just put all of the pedestrian traffic in the air to suit my specific fetish, it literally makes exactly the same amount of sense

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

please do trolley me

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

goon project: bury all attached garages within one mile of your home in the debris you have made of their driveways

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

or for a child to be in a car and be the only occupant killed

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

500 good dogs posted:

oh so now people who are in cars are "victims"???

i agree that any 3mo old piloting an automobile isn’t a victim

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Centrist Committee posted:

I am not a car!!!

*u were jousted to death by a goon in a tram*

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

when I was living in Texas around 2009-2012, and starting when I was in the army before that, there was a gradual increase in the likelihood that the less-overt kind of racist would associate “welfare queens/kings” as often having some kind of nice-looking recent-year Cadillac And That’s Why The Deficit

seems like if that idea spread into the Katamari-brainworms crowd widely since then it could be bad for the sales numbers of huge awful cars to boomers

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

e: can i have 30 grand

you can but I won’t give it to you

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

I don't hate cars as much as I hate people

use people to destroy cars with bing bing bong so simple

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Vomik posted:

this thread is gonna produce a shooter

gently caress I hope so

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

cool av posted:

saw a car the other day. horrible creatures.

cars?! I HATE those!!

GET OUT OF MY FACE

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

yard salad posted:

my in-laws live in a surprisingly walkable small town, but will never walk the 5 mins to the grocery store. they prefer to drive 40 minutes into the city Costco. meanwhile, my wife’s 95-year old Grandmother, in the same small town, is still driving every day. we once found out she’d been driving without brake fluid.

you can take people out of the car culture, but you’ll never take the car culture out of the people. unfortunately years of car dependency have rendered them unable to walk safely for more than a few minutes.

I’ve heard versions of this here more times than I can easily recall, and my father’s father when he was near the end of his life was rocking around his lovely rural Texas town in an enormous maroon late-80s Cadillac without brake fluid and with like a quart or less of oil remaining in the reservoir.

it was completely impossible to get his license revoked without also committing him to a care home (not that a revocation would have helped thoughts about maintenance not slide out of his brain), which eventually we had to due to my father valuing his father (also his marriage and the remains of his relationship with his three kids) less than being a volunteer border-watch CHUD in the late aughts

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

it’s not like I was unaware of size creep in pickups over the years, that’s just hilariously stark with the bed-size fact laid out

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

generational wealth is present in a fairly limited number of families relative to the population, and all of Anglophone society is structured around stripping what of it is left and further concentrating it

surely that can’t be the whole story, but I too am at a loss to explain how all the most garbage people manage to afford both living and prosthetic-self-esteem vehicles

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

you shouldn't drive at all

same, but for everyone that’s why we’re all here in the car hate thread

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

they could be perfectly safe for everyone and still be completely unacceptable due to poisoning the biosphere, lol

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Dolphin posted:

this defeats the only good purpose of cars which is sending rich people into poles at 200 loving miles per hour, disintegrating them in a raging conflagration

i prefer the old Roller Coaster Tycoon standby of “this track ends abruptly several stories up in the air” for the kind of disposal but as long as we have leftover cars I see no reason not to use them

e: ^^^ carefully lining up the sight post on top of my car before dropping the brick on the accelerator and sending it directly at a deer I’m hunting

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

where is there an 85mph road, one of the dakotas?

never been up there, but it’s 85 on the interstates all over the southwestern desert areas, between towns

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

language was a mistake

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

what if every bridge was also a tunnel

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

mind = double blown now I love cars (send help (via blunt-force trauma))

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

yard salad posted:

send this to the guy earlier in the thread who complained that his large dog requires the US to be enslaved to Moloch, ie the Car, which I hate

I have two large dogs and neither of them force me to be enslaved to greater demons, mostly what they do is run back and forth the length of the house, eat, and sleep

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Actually dogs should be banned from cities, so there is no reason to allow them on public transit.

wrong, only dogs should be allowed in cities

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

horse-drawn pickup

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

i did a humvee rollover simulator before deploying, in 2006, and boy howdy i tell you what, we sure learned that we're absolutely all going to die if we're in a guntruck which is rolling over

also nobody was allowed to ride in the gunner swing for the drill, they just said something like "well we all know what's going to happen to the gunner" (i was a gunner the whole time on deployment, whee)

also also we had to wear not seatbelts, which vehicle crews don't wear into combat, but like restraint harnesses, and even still when we were sideways i almost dislocated the knee of the dude next to me with the weight of my legs hitting him

also also also it rolled over Very Slowly, like vehicles in an accident (or explosion) don't, to reduce the risk of injury to us

everyone went through it exactly once, the whole process from getting in to getting out was maybe 5 minutes. glad to see the long tradition of absolutely useless training and demo hardware has been communicated from the DoD to pigs

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

if u find ur dream teeth in another dream, u can unlock a dream easter egg

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

what if we forced all the bikes to be underground for no reason

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Vomik posted:

i wonder where mets, rangers, yankees, giants, jets, etc. players go to the doctor? i'm sure its hard on them since in new york the culture is if you show up they give you a pill and tell you to stop doing that activity

idk if I’m missing the joke but in the US there’s a whole sub-specialty among doctors called Sports Medicine, sort of an intersection of Internal Medicine and Orthopedics, and there are various tiers of practices which service professional athletes of whichever celebrity tier anywhere there are professional sports teams, at variously inflated rates

e: which is to say, unless an internist is absolute garbage (always a possibility especially with doctors) they ought to be able to print you out several pages of medical advice in the category of “so you’ve got a stress injury but want to get back up to your precious athletic performance” to take home with you, with a few seconds of work on a computer.

LonsomeSon has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Oct 9, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

if u don’t want to be sweaty y not become a train or a tram or a streetcar shakes my smhead

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

yeah there are reasons not to move to Houston which aren’t just lack of access to a walkable life

not going to judge anyone who decides to (or has to), regardless of whether they can do this TMC life thing or not, but when I was a kid the most notable indicator that we were approaching Houston on the highway (we drove through to visit family in Galveston) was the taste of the refineries on the air

e: also would have been p. nice to do those 10hr car trips in 5-6 on a train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

yeah, if someone actually needs CPR they are very unlikely to survive, sadly